Random rants that don't warrant their own threads Page 258

• Page

of 305 First / Last

• drip 30 May 2013 23:56:52 4,290 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Origin won't let me redeem their own Battlefield BC2 code. It sends me to my profile page in the browser, and there the same happens. It resends me to the page I just tried to redeem it on.

EA is so full of shit. In case someone didn't know.

edit: installed it the conventional way, and it won't let me update because being administrator is not being administrator enough for the game.

How is it that every two-people indie dev team is able to get their games to work, or to make a usable UI, while many multi-million devs with hundreds of people aren't? I can't recall how often this struck me.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:19:28 31-05-2013
  • Dave_McCoy 2 Jun 2013 18:22:26 2,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My stupid manager has decided to take my holiday week off me next week that the designate manager kindly sorted. Every time I try to book something it get's refused.

Apparently she said though if I don't book 75% of my hols by the end of this month she'll take them off me. Is that legal? I'd like to see her try. I'm almost tempted to call her bluff...either that or book 3 weeks in a row. Biggest thing is she doesn't even tell me either, the rota would have just changed...she is utterly unapproachable and utterly fucking annoying.
  • X201 2 Jun 2013 18:42:57 15,576 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:

Apparently she said though if I don't book 75% of my hols by the end of this month she'll take them off me. Is that legal? .

Depends on your situation, but I'd be surprised and it would probably be a breach of contract.

If its a big company with a HR dept you need to make a calm thorough complaint to HR.
  • mal 2 Jun 2013 18:44:08 22,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, pretty standard. Last place I worked technically required you to use up hols before 1st April or lose them, although in practice you could carry the odd extra one over, especially if you agreed in advance. Something to do with the tax year, I assume.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Rusty_M 2 Jun 2013 21:01:54 4,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It all depends on your contract. My work is pretty simple. The holiday year runs from 1 January to 31 December. If you don't use all your days, you can carry over two days, but these must be taken in January.

I'd suggest making sure you know what the situation is where you work and if your manager is breaching the policies, do what X201 suggested.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Dave_McCoy 3 Jun 2013 11:01:42 2,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My holiday year runs the same Rusty. I think it's probably an idle bluff. I just find my work place to be run annoyingly badly. Not that I'm saying I could do better but I'd bet morale isn't as high as she thinks.

I don't want to go today...
  • Blotto 4 Jun 2013 16:26:01 2,776 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks a lot Youtube, I'm glad that you've posted some spoilery Game of Thrones video right in the fucking middle of the homepage with description and everything before I had a chance to watch it.

I'm not even signed in so it can't be targeted to me specifically surely?

Either way it's really fucking annoying.
  • drip 4 Jun 2013 17:37:08 4,290 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stop making turret scenes in shooters. Fucking idiots.

And stop those unskippable cutscenes. Is it just incompetence or do they really enjoy pissing you off?
  • thelzdking 4 Jun 2013 18:59:14 4,369 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unskippable cutscenes were a cardinal sin in the '90s. There is no justification for them.
  • ronuds 4 Jun 2013 19:04:08 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think "some" games employ the unskippable cutscene in place of a load screen.

That's not so bad, but still annoying because other games don't make you look at load screens or cutscenes.
  • skuzzbag 4 Jun 2013 19:18:48 5,651 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well they spent a bit of time on those cut scenes those its only fair that you are forced to watch them. Especially just before a sudden death section where progression is only made by trial and error.
  • mal 5 Jun 2013 18:41:09 22,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The next episode of Horizon on BBC2 is entitled 'The Secret Life of the Cat'. Fucking what? I remember an episode of QED a few years back covering much the same subject, but Horizon?

For the unfamiliar, QED was the BBC's 'lighter' science television programme. QED was on BBC1 wheras Horizon has always been on BBC2 (and is almost as old as BBC2, to within a fortnight, fact fans).

Nothing new of course. Just another example of the dumbing down of a flagship programme.

• drip 5 Jun 2013 18:46:44 4,290 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think "some" games employ the unskippable cutscene in place of a load screen.

That's not so bad, but still annoying because other games don't make you look at load screens or cutscenes.
    I haven't come across a five-minute load screen yet though.
  • drip 5 Jun 2013 18:48:59 4,290 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Well they spent a bit of time on those cut scenes those its only fair that you are forced to watch them. Especially just before a sudden death section where progression is only made by trial and error.
    If I spent a lot of money on the game, I'd rather play the fucking game though than watch a cheesy third-rate movie. Especially if they have the guts to force you to watch it again after respawning.

edit: and what if you want to play the game a second time? Seems to me like "why would you do that, this is a throwaway game, play it once and buy the next".

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:50:53 05-06-2013
  • drip 8 Jun 2013 00:07:10 4,290 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great, accidentally playing the #1 (data) track of my Quake 1 CD broke my speakers.
  • mal 8 Jun 2013 02:39:35 22,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    D'oh!

/Nelson

• mikeck 11 Jun 2013 16:30:40 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What the flying fuck is wrong with the fucking Odeon website!?!?!

I know it always goes down when tickets for iMax are released (because the morons don't know how to deal with surges in traffic) but today I'm just trying to book standard tickets for the weekend, and the site keeps going down.

The fucking app is retardedly broken too.

I know it's just cinema tickets, and I shouldn't get so worked up, but I'm properly fucking angry right now.

They really are a shower of fucking shit! If I was this incompetent in my job I'd be rightly sacked, why can't they fucking shape the cocking hell up!

I've wasted far too much time of my day on this bollocks, and still have no tickets :(

I'm seething right now (can you tell).
  • mikeck 11 Jun 2013 16:31:20 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel a little better after that now.
  • mal 11 Jun 2013 17:42:33 22,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't worry - this gives you the opportunity to try out their hilariously broken ticket booking phoneline now.

• thelzdking 11 Jun 2013 18:00:57 4,369 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It gets worse when you get there to watch the film and you realise you're sat in a room full of annoying people chomping and laughing at jokes which aren't funny.
  • Rusty_M 11 Jun 2013 18:51:09 4,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    It gets worse when you get there to watch the film and you realise you're sat in a room full of annoying people chomping and laughing at jokes which aren't funny.
    Sounds like being at home.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• skuzzbag 11 Jun 2013 19:32:11 5,651 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like being at work.
  • Dave_McCoy 12 Jun 2013 10:51:20 2,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really need to catch my neighbour in. The constant, pained, howling of her dog is driving me nuts. I'm guessing I haven't noticed before because I've been at work.
  • 4gate 12 Jun 2013 10:56:38 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Following my daughter witnessing a dog attacking a 7 or 8 year old boy in my local park last week, I now am having trouble coaxing her down there atall, despite, dogs shit and attacks apart, it being a lovely park a very short walk away we used to visit almost daily. Fuck you dog owners.
  • sport 12 Jun 2013 11:00:16 12,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did the boy survive?
  • DFawkes 12 Jun 2013 11:00:36 23,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloody hell. I hope they put the dangerous creature to sleep. And their dog. Hope the boy is alright now, did he get badly hurt?

I'm assuming it was a person with a dog of course, could be a stray. If not though, there's just no excuse for that.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Dave_McCoy 12 Jun 2013 11:01:55 2,787 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I do blame the owners, not the dogs. The houses here are built the same and I'm assuming they've locked the dog in the bathroom since that's where the howling is. The bathrooms are very small, it must be fed up.

Was the boy ok? I'm guessing the owner had it off it's lead and wasn't watching?
  • sport 12 Jun 2013 11:06:31 12,775 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe it's run out of Radox.
  • imamazed 12 Jun 2013 11:07:59 5,784 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I blame dogs. They're savages and shouldn't be allowed in public.
  • 4gate 12 Jun 2013 11:10:39 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes, bite on his arm, nasty scratches to his back, was knocked over. Actually I think the dog was over playful rather than trying to hurt, but it was also as tall as him, and much heavier. The lads mum said the woman owner had thrown a ball near to her son, the dog came tearing over then veered away from the ball and just ran straight into her son, I didn't see that bit, only turned round to see the lad lying on the grass screaming and the dog on top of him.

The dog owner called her dog and walked off.
  • Page

of 305 First / Last