Video editing software - recommendations?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • boo 21 Jun 2007 14:15:50 11,604 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought a video camera two weeks back for my sister's wedding. Having installed the supplied software, and then read the small print in the manual I see: 'This software will only import still images - not video'.

Nice! Sell you a video camera but don't give you what you need to actually do the doings.

Any recommendations for a simple-to-use and modestly priced package for an XP machine that doesn't have gallons of memory (64Mb iirc).

Ta everso.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 21 June 2007 14:17:16
    Movie Maker should be built into XP, which should work fine, but any sort of importing and editing would absolutely destroy a 64Mb machine.

If it's not built in, just grab it from MS here.

But again, the RAM is a major factor.

Edited by Gremmi at 14:18:14 21-06-2007
  • boo 21 Jun 2007 14:24:24 11,604 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Gremmi - I'll get our resident PC tech support person (Mrs Boo) to have a look.

Just Another Lego Blog

• MetalDog 21 Jun 2007 14:27:11 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How in the hell do you get anything done with only 64mb RAM?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• boo 21 Jun 2007 14:38:24 11,604 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's 64mb. The bog standard machine only had 32mb but the Dell guy persuaded me to upgrade.

All we use it for is writing letters etc, and web surfing. I run iTunes on it but all the files are stored on a external 320gb drive. I don't do PC gaming, so we've never really needed a powerful machine.

Of course I could be completely wrong - I'll check the spec when I get home, but I think it's 64mb...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Lukus 21 Jun 2007 14:40:41 18,955 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's probably just the (integrated I assume) graphics card.

Paintings & Photographs

• MetalDog 21 Jun 2007 14:41:32 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That sounds more like graphics card RAM to me, but I am a PC gamer, so...
    /licks 2gig matched RAM

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• boo 21 Jun 2007 19:45:59 11,604 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did I say 64mb?

/looks at config

504mb.

That's close!

Just Another Lego Blog

• OnlyMe 21 Jun 2007 20:17:19 3,104 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heck, my AMIGA have 128 megs! (at least before I removed the 128mb simm and put in a 32mb simm for better compatiblity with games)
  • Lovemoose 21 Jun 2007 22:32:26 999 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sony Vegas is ace, but probably (more like definitely) more than you need. They do a cut down version though, and it also includes DVD authoring stuff.

details and trial download here.

twitter: @chockey

• superfurryanimal 21 Jul 2008 20:26:15 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Instead of creating ANOTHER video editing thread....
    I am a big fan of UFC and MMA in general, and was thinking of cutting a few fighter highlight reels together, using my fighty dvd collection.
    Is there an idiot proof bit of editing software for my pc laptop you can recommend?
    I am a tech tard, so will appreciate some spoonfeeding.
  • HiddenAway 21 Jul 2008 20:29:57 14,789 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One year anniversary :-).

Movie Maker should fit your needs as said in the first few posts. Failing that freebie, erm, I'm not sure actually. If you want to go the commercial route, I liked Pinnacle. However, I've not really used anything apart from those 2!

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• superfurryanimal 21 Jul 2008 20:36:07 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cheers fella!
  • Feanor 21 Jul 2008 21:11:10 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Windows Movie Maker is nice and easy to use. I made all my Pro Evo vids using it.

I also use RAD Video tools to compress video clips before using them in WMM. A 13 second PES 6 clip in 640 * 512 is 240 MB, but I can compress that down to about 60 MB using RAD Video tools and the Indeo Video 5.10 compressor.
  • superfurryanimal 21 Jul 2008 21:26:56 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wow
    that sounded good.
    .....will check out nice and easy WMM.
  • superfurryanimal 21 Jul 2008 21:32:38 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have it!
    it looks easy, thanks a lot!
  • superfurryanimal 30 Jul 2008 21:27:11 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right.
    My missus has thrown a spanner in the works of my UFC highlight reel creation plans.
    She says it will be a pain in the anoose to rip the relevant sections of action from my dvds.
    Can anyone recommend some software?
  • HiddenAway 30 Jul 2008 21:42:05 14,789 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If only I had access to my bookmarks at home, I could tell you straight off. All I know is that VLC will help you make movies into the WMV format, but my memory fails from there.

VLC is free by the way - and as a bonus, plays a lot of video and music files too.

Edit: It's just so damn hard to find information about it :p

• pistol 30 Jul 2008 21:43:04 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Pinnacle Studio and it's pretty good.
  • heyyo 30 Jul 2008 21:46:39 14,374 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony Vegas is good, you can open 2 instances of it side-by-side which you can't do with any other video editing program - comes in very handful if you're a noob like myself.
  • Mike_Hunt 30 Jul 2008 21:49:31 23,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cyberlink Powerdirector often tops the charts when it comes to home video editing (it get's beating by Adobe Premier - but that's a pro tool really). It costs about 50 new from play.com and is really sweet.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 30 Jul 2008 21:50:42 23,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, whilst this thread is open - can anyone recommend a good DVD menu building app? All of the ones I've tried that are integrated into video apps are a bit pants/limiting in my experience and I'm sure a dedicated app, with decent templates, would work better.

[MH]
  • Deleted user 30 July 2008 21:52:48
    If you're ripping DVD footage for editing then you'll want either DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or DVDFab (the latter is the best imo) to copy the files onto your Hard Drive. The you can convert it into editable footage using something like Xvid4PSP.

@MH: I personally use Encore DVD, it's an Adobe program though so I'm not sure whether it's at the level you're after.
  • Red-Moose 30 Jul 2008 22:01:41 5,345 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Bought a video camera two weeks back for my sister's wedding. Having installed the supplied software, and then read the small print in the manual I see: 'This software will only import still images - not video'.

Nice! Sell you a video camera but don't give you what you need to actually do the doings.

Any recommendations for a simple-to-use and modestly priced package for an XP machine that doesn't have gallons of memory (64Mb iirc).

Ta everso.

You can get Premiere Elements (comes with Photoshop Elements) for around 120 I think. Premiere Elements is not bad, I put together a few movies with it importing video from a JVC DV camcorder, full control over Firewire.

as said above, 64MB is simply n ot enough for even basic VGA 640x480 editing. Really. 1GB on XP is plenty, 2GB will be rocking, and will cost you very little.

EDIT, ah I see you RAM is now 504MB. You probably have shared video/system memory. An extra 1GB will cost you aroudn 25 and is well worth it.
  • HiddenAway 30 Jul 2008 22:14:38 14,789 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OK, I had a quick look and here's how I managed to get it to work. Be warned that it's fairly complex so if you want to take an easier route, by all means go ahead. I won't be offended. Really! It also might not work depending on how the DVD is set in terms of chapters and titles.

Oh, and I seriously suggest that you find a very short section of the DVD to test this on first as it's not fun to find the process taking 30 minutes, only to find it's worthless.

1. Download VLC
    2. Install VLC.
    3. Open VLC.
    4. File - Open Disc...
    5. Select DVD (DVD (menus) won't work)

6. Change the title and chapter settings a little (usually the title first), and click OK to find the section you want. Note that you'll have to take the whole section rather than just one tiny 5 second bit, but it might help in the long run!

7. Once you've found the bit you're looking for, tick the Stream/Save box and click Settings.

8. Tick the File box, click browse, go to the folder you want to save the new file into and then type in a filename, putting .wmv at the end (if you're using Windows Movie Maker still). Then, click OK.

9. Select ASF for the encapsulation. Tick Video Codec, use WMV2 and set the bitrate to how you want it. Tick Audio codec, use mp3 and again set the bitrate to how you want it.

10. Click OK twice. Now, it should be converting your DVD section into a wmv file. Once it finishes, play it in Windows Media Player. If it plays, you should be able to import it into Windows Movie Maker.

If you need to make more videos from VLC, make sure you change the filename from step 8. VLC will overwrite files without warning! If you're opening a newly created video in VLC, make sure you uncheck the Stream/Save box, otherwise it will wipe your whole video!

• Deleted user 30 July 2008 22:16:37
    Clearly I didn't get here fast enough. :)
  • HiddenAway 30 Jul 2008 22:17:58 14,789 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Clearly I didn't get here fast enough. :)

What are you talking about? I referenced you in my long post :p

Edit: Zero Punctuation effects...

• Deleted user 30 July 2008 22:20:08
    Was that were you said "take an easier route, by all means go ahead"? :)
  • HiddenAway 30 Jul 2008 22:22:53 14,789 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Was that were you said "take an easier route, by all means go ahead"? :)

Yeah, mainly because I spent a week trying to do it for my PSP :p

• superfurryanimal 31 Jul 2008 08:12:49 1,021 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the effort!
    Will get back to you with some well edited violence at some point!
    SFA
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous