Any Daft Punk fans here? Page 2

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• The_Aardvark 19 Jun 2007 15:44:34 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    I love Homework, but the last album was wank i thought. Saw them at the Que Club in Brum about ten years ago and they were ace.

Along the same lines the Digitalism album is well worth getting if you like Homework. The Justice album is also supposed to be good as well.

The last album is massively under-rated in my opinion partly because it's not an easy album to get into. Also, when you hear it live, it makes more sense and sounds amazing.

Digitalism, eh? I'll have to check that out.

I generally think with Daft Punk that a lot of the stuff doesn't really make sense until you hear it live. I generally hate 'One More Time' but on Saturday it got me jumping three feet in the air and hugging strangers like it was my favourite ever piece of music.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 15:47:21 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:

I generally think with Daft Punk that a lot of the stuff doesn't really make sense until you hear it live. I generally hate 'One More Time' but on Saturday it got me jumping three feet in the air and hugging strangers like it was my favourite ever piece of music.

I think you might be right actually. There were loads of songs that I usually skip on the CD which I absolutely loved when they played them live. Makes you wonder why the fuck Daft Punk don't tour more regularily, stupid French robots ...
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2007 15:48:51 76,874 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a pretty big Daft Punk fan. I own every single up to Human After All, most of the Homework promo's, and I have Discovery on Tape, CD, Vinyl and Japanese import CD with the anime sleeve, as well as Interstella 5555.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 15:52:49 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I'm a pretty big Daft Punk fan. I own every single up to Human After All, most of the Homework promo's, and I have Discovery on Tape, CD, Vinyl and Japanese import CD with the anime sleeve, as well as Interstella 5555.

"Pretty big Daft Punk fan" is a bit of an understatement by the sounds of it!

I consider myself a big fan, but I haven't got all that stuff you've got. Are the singles worth picking up? I want to start getting more of their music because they aren't exactly prolific when it comes to releasing new albums are they?

I've got Interstella 5555, absolutely love it.

Edited by JuanKerr at 15:53:15 19-06-2007
  • LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2007 15:53:46 44,415 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Interstella 5555.

HUG.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 19 June 2007 15:55:47
    Started listening to the mp3 now, brilliant! :)

Human........Robot....Human...Robot \o/
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 15:57:52 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:

Ahhh, that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, brilliant!

They play a new tune quite early on, no idea what it's called, although I am going to find out right now ...
  • The_Aardvark 19 Jun 2007 15:58:15 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

That's pretty hardcore. I take it you've got Alive 1997?
  • Deleted user 19 June 2007 15:58:45
    JuanKerr wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

They play a new tune quite early on, no idea what it's called, although I am going to find out right now ...

There's a bit about five minutes in which is AMAZING. If you're still listening, scroll back to it to see what I mean!

edit: Starts at 04:56. I could have that one little bit on repeat all day.

See the new song - and apoligies if this is wrong, I don't know much about DP at all - is that the "Touch it, bring it..." bit? I think they might have remixed a song Kanye West did with them. Might be wrong.

Edited by deathgibbon at 16:01:28 19-06-2007
  • figgis 19 Jun 2007 16:00:57 7,376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not keen on the last album because it just sounds like it was written and recorded in about two hours. I'm all for live sounding dance music, but each song seems to be one idea stretched to breaking point IMO.

Discovery is a better album but goes the other way of being too polished and a little bit false sounding.

It may sound like I'm being very harsh on them (I am) but thats because they are so talented.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 16:05:37 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

There's a bit about five minutes in which is AMAZING. If you're still listening, scroll back to it to see what I mean!

edit: Starts at 04:56. I could have that one little bit on repeat all day.

See the new song - and apoligies if this is wrong, I don't know much about DP at all - is that the "Touch it, bring it..." bit? I think they might have remixed a song Kanye West did with them. Might be wrong.

I've just scrolled it back to about 5 minutes in - yeah, I know this bit, and it's fucking awesome. Performed live, the bass really pounded and sounded amazing.

There's a bit that starts at 18 minutes 10 seconds which I think is a brand new tune, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, I absolutely love it.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 16:07:01 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:

No, that's 'Technologic' and Kayne West did sample it I believe. The new tune is definitely at 18.10 and it's really, really good.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2007 16:07:24
    I thought the song 18 mins in (just scrolled to it) was pretty dull compared to the rest of the set. Might work better on an album.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2007 16:08:41
    JuanKerr wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

No, that's 'Technologic' and Kayne West did sample it I believe. The new tune is definitely at 18.10 and it's really, really good.

Ah ok. Well, I was half-right! :)
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 16:09:35 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    I'm not keen on the last album because it just sounds like it was written and recorded in about two hours. I'm all for live sounding dance music, but each song seems to be one idea stretched to breaking point IMO.

Discovery is a better album but goes the other way of being too polished and a little bit false sounding.

It may sound like I'm being very harsh on them (I am) but thats because they are so talented.

Fair enough criticism and that's what I thought when I first heard it. When you hear it live, it really does make more sense.

As for Discovery, I love every second of that album, so away with you and your silly 'opinions' ;-)
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 16:10:52 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    I thought the song 18 mins in (just scrolled to it) was pretty dull compared to the rest of the set. Might work better on an album.

Perhaps I'm biased because I heard it live - trust me, that bit sounds really special when you're there watching it.
  • figgis 19 Jun 2007 16:16:16 7,376 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

I was there! I never managed to get a copy of that might have to do some searching tonight.
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2007 16:17:41 76,874 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

"Pretty big Daft Punk fan" is a bit of an understatement by the sounds of it!

I consider myself a big fan, but I haven't got all that stuff you've got. Are the singles worth picking up? I want to start getting more of their music because they aren't exactly prolific when it comes to releasing new albums are they?

I've got Interstella 5555, absolutely love it.

The B-sides on the singles are mostly just remixes of the single itself, so it depends on how much you want to listen to a variation on same song. My personal favourite is the Breakers Break remix of Harder Better Faster Stronger.

The_Aardvark wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Yes, I have Alive 1997 too.
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2007 16:35:30 76,874 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here's some of my stuff -

The rest of it is either boxed up in the attic, or in my car. :)
  • The_Aardvark 19 Jun 2007 16:39:35 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

/worships

Do you do this for any other bands as well, or just Daft Punk?
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jun 2007 16:41:26 24,562 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After seeing them at Rock Ness, I am now a huge, huge fan. Got Homework the other day, loving it. I find it's pretty good music to play Forza to, actually.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• NoCodeNed2 19 Jun 2007 16:49:06 62 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have to agree - I was there on saturday and it was utterly, utterly incredible.

I'm struggling to find a live act that I've seen ever put on a better show (and I've seen quite a few in my time : ).

I'm not even a particularly big fan of theirs (I bought and loved the first single - mostly for the B-side - other than that I've been a bit luke warm on them). but live it just works...and how.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2007 16:49:37
    JuanKerr wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

Wasn't "Harder Better Faster Stronger" the track that was sampled by Kanye West recently?

Oh yeah, and I'm astonished people haven't heard of Soulwax.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Jun 2007 16:57:25 24,562 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NoCodeNed2 wrote:
    Have to agree - I was there on saturday and it was utterly, utterly incredible.

I'm struggling to find a live act that I've seen ever put on a better show (and I've seen quite a few in my time : ).

I'm not even a particularly big fan of theirs (I bought and loved the first single - mostly for the B-side - other than that I've been a bit luke warm on them). but live it just works...and how.

Daft Punk live was the best live act I've ever seen in my life, hands down. The lighting, the way they built up the crowd, the fireworks at the end, the way their suits lit up red...simply awesome.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Deleted user 19 June 2007 17:06:23
    Managed to find Da Funk through random scrolling. \o/

1h4m15s! :o
  • gazzy 19 Jun 2007 17:08:34 882 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Homework = the greatest (and best) house album ever created.
  • JuanKerr 19 Jun 2007 17:11:22 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Daft Punk live was the best live act I've ever seen in my life, hands down. The lighting, the way they built up the crowd, the fireworks at the end, the way their suits lit up red...simply awesome.

Couldn't agree more. The encore was stunning, especially their red suits as you pointed out.

The only thing I've seen that's on a par live is Sigur Ros - amazing lighting, stunning set, great atmosphere, mind-blowing tunes and the only live music that's reduced me (and many others in the audience) to tears.

Edited by JuanKerr at 17:11:53 19-06-2007
  • ecureuil 19 Jun 2007 18:33:22 76,874 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

/worships

Do you do this for any other bands as well, or just Daft Punk?

Just Daft Punk, although I do get the odd import album here and there. :D
  • [maven] 19 Jun 2007 19:07:53 5,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    What LCD Soundsystem then?

This. Kind of indie techno. That one's a bit soppier than most of their stuff actually, but I love it. It was the last song I listened to before I went to bed at 5:30 on Sunday morning.

"And if the sun comes up and we still don't want to stagger home / it's the memory of our betters that keep us on our feet"

\o/

That's a rather catchy song...

/tries to buy from iTunes
    /fails with error 5002

Anyway, try Apparat, for example "Fractales" or "Komponent"... :)
  • JuanKerr 21 Jun 2007 13:00:57 36,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone got $65,000 knocking around?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/20/get-your-own-daft-punk-helmet-maybe/
  • Page

of 25 First / Last