Elite on XBLA or VC

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • quantumsheep 16 Jun 2007 01:11:36 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Recently there's been some awesome retro action on XBLA and VC with the release/announcement of games like Prince of Persia, Jetpac, Speedball 2, Sensible World of Soccer, the Zelda games and Starfox.

Surely it's time to give the original Elite back to the masses?

The easiest/quickest way would be to bring the NES version of Elite to the Wii's VC. I used to have it running on a NES Emu on my GBA, and it's surprisingly playable given the lack of buttons on an original NES pad!

Definitely a buy from me if it ever happens!

Having played and bought PoP and Jetpac recently I couldn't help wonder what it would be like as an XBLA game. A retro 'original' version could be included, much like Jetpac.

But imagine it with improved graphics (especially in HD). A couple of new weapons/equipment/ships/galaxies/missions. Some sort of online element. Nothing too far from the original (again like Jetpac/PoP) but enough to give it a little something extra.

The extra buttons on the 360 pad would make control so much easier as well!

Gamer points would be given for number of ships shot down as well as each rank you obtain going up to 'Elite' status.

Go on, do an XBLA version Mr. Braben. If you start now we could have it by Xmas ;)
  • absolutezero 16 Jun 2007 01:20:53 7,956 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Be sure to pick up Minters Giraffe when it arrives.
  • ecureuil 16 Jun 2007 01:21:43 76,729 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What about PSN huh? HUH?
  • quantumsheep 16 Jun 2007 01:27:01 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can't wait for Minter's Giraffe! =P

And yep, ecureuil, PSN is certainly another delivery option! Didn't think of it as it's not on my radar so to speak and I've not had any direct experience of it!

Sorry!

Seriously though, it'd be a licence to print money for Braben and co, surely?
  • ecureuil 16 Jun 2007 01:31:24 76,729 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No problem. I'm finding the PSN service to be fairly decent so far, better than Nintendo's offering but probably not as good as XBL(of which I've little experience of), but more importantly it's perfectly capable of delivering the game.

Perhaps there's a load of red tape surrounding these issues? It's not just Elite, there's loads of popular classic games that (I assume) wouldn't take much effort to put online.
  • quantumsheep 16 Jun 2007 16:55:44 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You may be right Mr. E - from the official Elite FAQ on the frontier website:

7. Is it legal to download Elite from the net?

Elite was written as joint copyright by Ian Bell and myself. I would like to make Elite available as shareware, but this requires permission of the other copyright holder. A third party has claimed that Ian Bell has sold his rights in Elite to them but Ian has not yet confirmed this. The end result is it is not legal, but I do not mind this as long as the copyright messages are intact, and it is not done for commercial gain, but be warned as the other copyright holder may object.

It seems that Elite II and III are available as shareware though!

So, who does have Ian Bell's copyright???
  • Furbs 16 Jun 2007 16:57:01 45,699 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lutz does.
  • quantumsheep 16 Jun 2007 16:59:00 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GRAB 'IM!!!!
  • Fozzie_bear 16 Jun 2007 16:59:33 15,500 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    No problem. I'm finding the PSN service to be fairly decent so far, better than Nintendo's offering

TBH you'd struggle to be worse than nintendo's effort to date.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• quantumsheep 16 Jun 2007 17:10:34 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    No problem. I'm finding the PSN service to be fairly decent so far, better than Nintendo's offering

TBH you'd struggle to be worse than nintendo's effort to date.

Dude! Duuuuuude!!!

Stick to the subject you troll!

;)
  • haowan 16 Jun 2007 17:30:11 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would have thought that Mr. Bell would be more happy to bust out the cans of freeware than Mr. Braben.

Someone should port Elite to XNA :)
  • quantumsheep 17 Jun 2007 16:07:40 3,127 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now that's a great idea! But would it be legal???

Just thought how ace it would be control wise on a 360 pad. You could use the second analogue stick for the four different views =D
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next