Registered 8 years ago
    It's like Donnie Darko all over again.
  • coderkind 20 Jun 2007 01:07:43 982 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Micro_Explosion wrote:
    It's like Donnie Darko all over again.

Exactly, and I loved that too!

There was no straight way to end The Sopranos. If they showed him dying then the audience would've been sad. If they finished with a Hollywood ending then no-one would've bought it.

They had to leave it open-ended. I wasn't planning on the degree of complexity to it however!
  • NewYork 20 Jun 2007 01:14:23 24,838 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seven years and they give you chose-your-own adventure.

At least the audience isn't "sad"! :s
  • manuel_garcia 20 Jun 2007 01:18:27 4,079 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now that was how you end a series :)

I avoided this thread like the plague for the last week or so, and to be honest I was completely shocked by the final moments. But it is absolutely perfect in every sense. They could never have shown him getting whacked, it just wouldn't have fit properly.

Also having watched the Godfather movies again a couple of weeks ago helped. The orange in the hand was as obvious a reference as anybody needs, but I totally missed all the other pointers that were discussed in that article.

It is sad that it's over, but much better to go out on a high and with a bold ending than with a whimper after another series and a spoon-fed final act.

I also love the fact that people are complaining so much about needing to work something out and think about things for a change. If nothing else, that's the sign of a great piece of art, no matter which way you cut it.
  • NewYork 20 Jun 2007 01:25:30 24,838 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted at 01:26:28 20-06-2007
  • NewYork 20 Jun 2007 01:26:23 24,838 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When "working things out" for most people means having to see some explanation on a website, and believing it only because the only other alternative is that the final black screen was a big "f*** you", yeah, it's silly.

But enough from me. Thought I'd put in some thoughts after all the people who'd actually watched it had discussed it to death, so as to not disturb things. I admit I'm in no position to comment extensively. :)
  • manuel_garcia 20 Jun 2007 01:31:53 4,079 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    When "working things out" for most people means having to see some explanation on a website, and believing it only because the only other alternative is that the final black screen was a big "f*** you", yeah, it's silly.

But enough from me. Thought I'd put in some thoughts after all the people who'd actually watched it had discussed it to death, so as to not disturb things. I admit I'm in no position to comment extensively. :)

Heh

Yeah it's all good, I know you were just stirring :)

To be fair if I'd watched that after not having been immersed in the show for the past few weeks, along with watching the Godfather recently, I'd probably have been thinking the same thing as well.

I just think it's refreshing not to be forced into a bland and obvious ending. Far better to leave it open to interpretation and lead people into discovering what it meant for themselves. As fan-service it's second to none, but I can see they'd be alienating a large portion of the audience with it.

But it's the last show! What did they have to lose? :)
  • FWB 20 Jun 2007 01:45:23 42,080 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My initial conclusion did need a slight nudge. I didn't need all the microscopic details (tho I find them cool) to lead me down the path.

Greatest TV drama ever. Full stop.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2007 12:34:21
    Post deleted
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Dec 2007 00:42:06 35,177 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    *bump*

Just watched the final episode (watched all of 6-2 in the last few days).

Brilliant show, absolutely brilliant ending. Makes me sad that that was the last of it, but it's probably a good thing.

Madonn'
  • kalel 9 Jan 2008 16:34:59 84,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *Another bump*

I finally got round to watching the last nine, and thought i’d stick my 2p in.

The end was superb imo. There was basically no way to end it without a cliché, apart from the way it ended. Yes, it was an anti-climax, but not a disappointment.

Just to say Chase has debunked a lot of the theories that have been mooted in this thread, I think people are trying far too hard to find closure. The whole point of the ending is there is no closure, just as there is none for Tony. The rest of his life will be paranoid, thinking every person who walks through the door next might kill him, and that’s what we experience in that final scene. It’s genius.

And so end the greatest series ever. Can’t wait to watch them all again.
  • Machiavel 9 Jan 2008 16:40:39 5,964 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I like the paranoid ending best. Although there was that 'insider' guy recently who proclaimed, "Honest guv, Tony looks up to see MEADOW getting shot, that's how it's supposed to end."

He wouldn't let it lie! :)
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2008 16:46:33 64,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, agree Kalel. Utterly brilliant piece of television. As for watching them again, I am at the moment couresty of More4. Although one a night stacked up on the Sky+ box is starting to take it's toll on watching pretty much anything else. Still 13 behind!
  • kalel 9 Jan 2008 16:48:15 84,073 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:
    Yeah, I like the paranoid ending best. Although there was that 'insider' guy recently who proclaimed, "Honest guv, Tony looks up to see MEADOW getting shot, that's how it's supposed to end."

He wouldn't let it lie! :)

Is there a genuine alternative ending then? I’ve only seen fake ones.
  • soylent_grey 19 Mar 2008 11:56:55 73 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rather late to the party, but then I only got the last episode through the mail on Lovefilm yesterday.

I'd only caught rumours that the ending was disappointing, unorthodox, what you will.

But how wrong can you be? There's enough bait to keep the internet conspiracists talking til the cows come home, and an ending that just refuses to give anyone what they want. It left me wanting to talk to someone, just discuss it, try and understand it.

Or just rewatch it all really. Give them another 3-and-a-halfish days of my life. Well spent mind you.
  • BanjoMan 19 Mar 2008 11:58:46 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's all set up for the inevitable film.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Dougs 19 Mar 2008 12:00:39 64,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    I hope not. Just leave it be.
  • soylent_grey 19 Mar 2008 12:05:11 73 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    BanjoMan wrote:
    I hope not. Just leave it be.

Exactly. Just leave it be.

I doubt the film is -that- inevitable. Maybe a shitty spinoff film, like the shitty spinoff game, but that wouldn't be the same anyways. And as far as I can tell Chase has got his iron grip on it, so HBO can't run off to do their own derivative spinoff without his say so.

Unlike Spaced of course...
  • BanjoMan 19 Mar 2008 12:26:58 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Source

Says Chase:

“It may be that in two or three or four years I could be sitting around and get an idea for a really great ’Sopranos’ movie,” David Chase told The New York Times in a joint interview with James Gandolfini, star of the HBO series. “I don’t think that will happen. But if one morning somebody woke up and said this would make a really good, concise, contained ’Sopranos’ story, I wouldn’t rule that out.”

So basically if enough HBO execs twist his arm, he'll ok it. Ker-ching...

• TheBear 19 Mar 2008 12:52:40 4,499 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, I miss the Sopranos. Don't want a film though.
  • Machiavel 19 Mar 2008 13:06:12 5,964 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The one thing I intensely disliked about The Sopranos on Channel 4 (and I'm sure it's HBO's fault) is the "Next episode" stuff they add to try and entice the viewer to keep watching.

For me, the last two series (particularly the 6th) were highly meditative pieces, with only the contractual naked bada-bing girl / shock violence cutting in from time to time. But to watch the "Next episode" guff, every new episode would revolve around bloodbaths and action and, well a pace that wasn't there. This was particularly narky in Season 5, where the ominous threat of war with Phil brooded through each episode, but seemed to be guaranteed in the Next One by the explosive trailer...

Box sets (or alternatives) are the purer way...
  • FWB 19 Mar 2008 13:31:31 42,080 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The ending was quality. Perfect.
  • BanjoMan 20 Mar 2008 10:29:51 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best bit of series 6? When Tony contemplates killing Paulie. I completely sympathised with Tony, but at the same time was thinking 'NOOOOOOO!!!' - that scene on the boat was brilliantly written/acted/directed/edited.

• TheSaint 20 Mar 2008 10:41:40 13,659 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Since The Wire finished I have been looking at my Sopranos box sets thinking I should start from the beginning again as I loved watching them the first time.

What are peoples opinions on the Sopranos being girlfriend friendly? I watched them on my own last time but might be worth a try.
  • Dougs 20 Mar 2008 10:43:24 64,988 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very gf friendly imo, as long as they are not easily offended. My missus loved watching them from the very beginning
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Mar 2008 10:46:39 35,177 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My girl-friend loves The Sopranos possibly more than me...um, I mean than I do.
  • BanjoMan 20 Mar 2008 11:10:28 13,730 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't know if this counts but my wife loves The Sopranos an equal amount to me, ie lots.

• Futaba 8 Oct 2012 13:49:22 3,434 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• warlockuk 8 Oct 2012 14:04:12 19,103 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    Pps: broadwalk is dull as ditch water.
    Yet you think the Sopranos is anything other than dull unwatchable shit?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 4 First / Last