Registered 10 years ago
    I wish I'd taken today off, 5pm seems so far away. :(
  • FWB 11 Jun 2007 12:11:50 44,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    squish!

Abso-feckin-lutely brilliant ending.

Was great. Never felt so much tension in a single scene in a movie/show.
  • L0cky 11 Jun 2007 17:13:07 1,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup, was great.
  • warlockuk 11 Jun 2007 17:32:19 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone else find the very end a bit shit?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• quedex 11 Jun 2007 17:40:04 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not me. I loved it.
  • warlockuk 11 Jun 2007 17:42:56 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dunno... It just felt like a massive massive anticlimax. Like it just petered out like the ending to when you're having a really big piss. Hard to explain without spoilering to all hell.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• craigy Staff 11 Jun 2007 19:20:21 7,593 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tense, but anti-climactic for me.
  • Machiavel 12 Jun 2007 07:57:51 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very enjoyable. The ending surprised me - I'm sure I'm not the only one who replayed the final minute several times just to check.

**SPOILERS***

Interested what people think - I thought the ending restaurant scene with its edgy presentation and Tony always glancing at the door tied into the episode threads of AJ thinking about the army and Tony worried about the fight on terror. Kind of the nuclear family at risk, in an uncertain world - whilst obviously also echoing Tony's vulnerability to aggrieved forces or his impending, 80-90% likely, arrest.

But then, on realising it was Phil's nephew sitting at the bar and who walked to the toilet, the ending is all the more clear. Fade to black.

** END SPOILERS

/changed my mind

Edited by Machiavel at 08:20:29 12-06-2007
  • warlockuk 12 Jun 2007 09:09:32 19,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, but Tony'd know who he was, no?

Apparently there's two different endings aired in America, the 2nd with meadow entering the place behind some dudes...

Dunno... the ending was so open - was he shot in the head and so the series just ends like we're Tony Soprano or something? Was his family back together and all was at peace with Tony as top dog? Did they run out of film? It just seems like a massive anti-climax to just have nothing happen and just switch to a black screen to make you make up your own ending.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• TheBear 12 Jun 2007 09:22:52 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:

But then, on realising it was Phil's nephew sitting at the bar and who walked to the toilet, the ending is all the more clear.

Edited by Machiavel at 08:20:29 12-06-2007

Are you sure that was Phil's nephew?
  • Machiavel 12 Jun 2007 09:30:11 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently, he's identified as Phil's nephew in the credits. But they're teasing us, as apparently someone who's brother was shot by Christopher is also in the bar.

Warlockuk, yeah I thought of the open-ending solution at first as well. But when you remember that flashback in the previous episode to the first episode of the second half of the season where Bobby and Tony are on the boat, discussing being whacked "How do you think it ends?" "The lights go out. The music stops." It points towards one answer, whilst yes leaving other options open.

The ending really improves with reflection.
  • Machiavel 12 Jun 2007 09:32:06 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Film buffs are also pointing out that the guy walking to the toilet in the final scene is a direct allusion to the Godfather and Michael Corleone's first murder. Though again you could view it as another paranoid reference in an episode full of paranoia.
  • figgis 12 Jun 2007 09:33:38 7,376 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:

**SPOILERS***

But then, on realising it was Phil's nephew sitting at the bar and who walked to the toilet, the ending is all the more clear. Fade to black.

** END SPOILERS

/changed my mind

Ah makes much more sense now, thought he looked familiar. Whilst I originally thought the ending was weak the more i think about it the better it was.
  • TheBear 12 Jun 2007 09:39:36 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:
    Film buffs are also pointing out that the guy walking to the toilet in the final scene is a direct allusion to the Godfather and Michael Corleone's first murder. Though again you could view it as another paranoid reference in an episode full of paranoia.

I don't think it's paranoid reference, more Chase's nod to the Godfather, although, I don't think there is any way there could have been a weapon in the toilet. 1. It was at the last minute they decided to go to the diner, so no-one could have known. 2. Why would he hide a weapon when it would have been much easier to just walk in with one(in the godfather weapon has to be concealed as Michael and co knew he would be frisked).

PS. I don't see that guy listed as Phil's nephew anywhere....so will reserve jusdgment on that.
  • Machiavel 12 Jun 2007 09:53:39 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quoting another: Spoilers aplenty.

From HBO's forums

"So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).
  • TheBear 12 Jun 2007 10:28:15 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, I can't find a Nikki Leotardo listed in any Sopranos credits in this episode or previous episodes....

PS. I do certainly think Tony was whacked though. The whole flash back to his talk with Bobby confirms that I think.
  • FWB 12 Jun 2007 10:34:27 44,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow. Shows how much I remember. If that all be true then an all ready good ending has just been totally flipped for me and jumped up 500 notches. Quality, quality stuff.
  • figgis 12 Jun 2007 10:39:44 7,376 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye the flashback with Bobby at the start of the penultimate episode explains the end 'The music stops, the lights go off, you never see it coming'.

The best bit is you don't know why, who or how just like Tony.
  • FWB 12 Jun 2007 10:46:46 44,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going to make my great-grandchildren watch the whole series. It should be a Christmas tradition.
  • quedex 12 Jun 2007 10:52:46 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheBear wrote:
    PS. I do certainly think Tony was whacked though. The whole flash back to his talk with Bobby confirms that I think.
    Or it could be some really clever thing like Tony is still alive, and it was us (the viewers) who got whacked.
  • TheBear 12 Jun 2007 11:07:53 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a tremendous show this has been though, will be sadly missed....I'm off to start watching Season One again...
  • Machiavel 12 Jun 2007 16:08:27 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have to say, I can't see how I could use the internet and not learn of the ending before it gets shown on UK TV. It takes real fortitude and bloody mindedness to avoid learning the resolution of something popular for six months!
  • quedex 12 Jun 2007 19:16:15 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The creator of BSG wrote:
    I will never forget the moment.

Terry and I sitting up in bed, in shock, the single word, "What?!" bursting loose from both our lips as black filled our TV screen and we briefly wondered if the cats had bumped the TiVo at the worst possible moment and destroyed the payoff to one of the most tension-filled moments of television we'd ever experienced. Then, the credits rolled by in silence and there was an exhalation of shock and amazement.

What had David Chase done? Oh my God, hit the jump back button and watch it again.

Yep, that's it. He really did it. The man has guts. No, that's not enough. The man has balls the size of Volkswagens.

For weeks, the speculation has centered around a simplistic black and white question for a show that revelled in never providing monochromatic answers: would Tony live or die? The prosaic nature of the question and its anticipated answer was itself was the most disappointing thing about the lead-up to the finale. Either Tony was going to get whacked, or he wouldn't. "The Sopranos" would end with either the bitter little pill of the "bad" guy finally getting what he's got coming or with the vaguely false relief of family affirmed and life goes on.

Instead, Chase managed to do the unthinkable, the unbelievable and the unprecedented: he yanked us out of their lives without any resolution whatsoever. We were torn away from Tony, Carmella, AJ, Meadow, Paulie, Sil and the all the rest without any idea what happens to them tomorrow or even later that same evening. In real life, when you lose contact with someone, you seldom if ever have the satisfaction of knowing how the myriad threads of their lives resolved themselves. They are removed from your circle of knowledge and yet their lives go on unbeknownst to you in ways you can only imagine. The Sopranos are gone from our lives, but their lives go on without resolution, much like ours. None of us have tidy, revelatory endings that are the culmination of our "story arcs" and neither will they.

Oh, I'm sure there are those who will bemoan the lack of resolution to the story or that Chase has somehow "robbed the fans" but I'm a fan and I'm ecstatic. I'm glad he thumbed his nose at the tyranny of the narrative drive to bring things to a tidy conclusion so we can all clap and walk away without another thought about that mob family in Jersey, satisfied that all's well that ends well. Screw that. I don't want to see Tony's death, nor do I want to watch him drive off into witness protection, or sit down to some kind of illusory happiness in the bosom of his family. I simply want to pretend that his life continues, that he's still simultaneously worrying about onion rings and whether that guy is hiding a gun in the restroom.

It's poetic. It's exciting. It's perfect.

And most of all, I wish I'd thought of it first.
  • TheBear 13 Jun 2007 10:46:34 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    David Chase is not ruling out a Sopranos movie :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6747533.stm
  • FWB 13 Jun 2007 12:52:12 44,225 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He doesn't have to defend anything. He well and truly earned the right to do whatever he wanted at the end and I don't think he disappointed in the slightest. Was a fantastic finish.

Edited by FWB at 12:53:48 13-06-2007
  • Deleted user 13 June 2007 20:45:03
    Amazing stuff, the finale. It caught me straight away with the loud "door opens" sound every time someone entered, slowly and methodically building up. A bit too much focus on Meadow's parking skills, which definitely brought a sense of danger to the entire setup.
  • coderkind 19 Jun 2007 23:43:43 983 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow! I loved the ending, but knew there had to be more to it.

After reading various posts (on this thread and elsewhere) I think you've gotta assume he got wacked. That is, unless they do a film later.

It's the perfect ending when you think about it. No-one wants to see Tony dead, but it's too much of a Hollywood ending to see him happy either.
  • El_MUERkO 20 Jun 2007 00:00:28 16,973 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    whatever happened, however it was filmed, could we ever have been happy to see the final credits?
  • coderkind 20 Jun 2007 00:15:41 983 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You guys HAVE to read this.

There are tons of clues contained in the final scene; would be impossible to catch on after only one viewing.
  • NewYork 20 Jun 2007 00:36:18 24,835 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't watch Sopranos, but after hearing about the ending, my conclusion is that you shouldn't have to be doing homework to understand the show.

Freakin' clues in the ending? Isn't this a gangster show?

Everyone's finding different interpretations for the ending, but in the end, they're all basically trying not to feel cheated by it; trying to make seven years feel worth it.

If these people had to go onto the internet after watching the show in order for the ending to have any meaning to them, something's gone wrong.

I was also amused at interviews with the cast, where many weren't sure what the ending meant, and if the cast don't know, how the heck are viewers meant to?

Edited by NewYork at 00:43:32 20-06-2007
  • Page

of 4 First / Last