The Sopranos Finale

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • craigy Staff 5 Jun 2007 08:56:16 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought I better start a separate thread about this. Is anyone else up to speed? Does anyone want to speculate on what might happen next Sunday? I feel it's all going to end in tears - the penultimate episode made me want to cry :(
  • Machiavel 5 Jun 2007 09:03:29 5,964 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shaddup ya face!

Only kidding, haven't seen the penultimate ep yet. Despite the twilight nature of this latter half of the series, I kind of hope there's a ball-busting, surprise, happier ending than we would expect... Not succumb to the American morality of "Well he's a bad man, so he ultimately has to pay." Can't wait!
  • quedex 5 Jun 2007 09:07:15 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Machiavel wrote:
    Only kidding, haven't seen the penultimate ep yet.
    Why not? What's taking you so long?

It really doesn't look like we're going to get a happy ending, does it?
  • warlockuk 5 Jun 2007 09:08:00 19,171 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone's getting fucked up.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Machiavel 5 Jun 2007 09:26:45 5,964 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm watching it tonight - better leave this thread for now!
  • MrCarrot 5 Jun 2007 09:44:34 3,516 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I feel it's all going to end in tears - the penultimate episode made me want to cry :(

Me too. :(

I can't see it ending well now. :(
  • quedex 5 Jun 2007 09:58:45 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So what do we reckon might happen?
    Tony dies? Phil dies? Tony Fed's up? A Butch Cassidy style ending?

I can't think of anything that wouldn't be predictable or cliched, but at least this show is one of the few around that you know will end up delivering a shock or two.

As an aside, have they ever revealed who the mole is on Phil's side?
  • pistol 5 Jun 2007 11:24:39 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Thought I better start a separate thread about this. Is anyone else up to speed? Does anyone want to speculate on what might happen next Sunday? I feel it's all going to end in tears - the penultimate episode made me want to cry :(

I've got to watch 85 tonight, The Blue Comet. I am so going to miss this series when it finishes.
  • craigy Staff 5 Jun 2007 11:50:58 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Finale? Watched this on E4 months ago. :)

/doesn't reveal ending.

We're talking about the second part of season 6 - it doesn't air until next week in America, dumbo!
  • pistol 5 Jun 2007 12:55:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was wondering what Fruit Salad was on about....;-)
  • craigy Staff 5 Jun 2007 13:49:16 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heeh!

The only option I can see for Tony is to go to the feds. It's pretty obvious he's become disillusioned by the whole mob thing, and realises that all of them are now pretty much a remnant of the past. Could the Sopranos become the Thompsons?

--

R FBI Agent: Hello Mr. Thompson (Tony stares blankly at him.).....remember now, your name is Tony Thompson.

Tony: I gotcha.

R FBI Agent: Hello Mr. Thompson (Tony stares blankly at him. Agents look at each other.)

(Much later, the conversation is still going on.)

R FBI Agent: Urrrh, now when I say, "Hello Mr. Thompson" and press down on your foot you smile and nod.

Tony: No problem.

R FBI Agent: Hello Mr. Thompson (RFBI presses down on Tony's foot.)

Tony: (leans over to LFBI.) I think he's talking to you. (R FBI hits his forehead.)

Edited by craigy at 13:50:19 05-06-2007

Edited by craigy at 13:50:29 05-06-2007
  • pistol 6 Jun 2007 09:00:40 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought the Blue Comet was one of the best I've seen in a long time.
  • warlockuk 6 Jun 2007 09:40:22 19,171 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quit jiiiiivin' me turkey.

You gots to SASS it.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Machiavel 6 Jun 2007 10:31:02 5,964 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh dear, it's not looking very good for them.

I fear: Phil or one of his lackeys deciding to root Tony out by targeting someone they usually won't target; or Tony somehow getting to Phil, but still getting whacked in the coda.

I hope: the mole in Phil's outfit (surely that guy they focused on washing the plates/cups as they organised the hits) gives a clue to the Feds as to where Phil is, and he is either arrested or the information somehow passed on. Can't see Tony turning his back on 'this thing that we're in', though I suppose that'd make it a shock ending. Him living the Goodfellas ending at last...
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Jun 2007 13:40:02 35,574 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The "gay" epsidoes (I forgot the name of the guy at the moment) were absolutely classical Sopranos. First you hate the guy, then they give him a human face with a few personal episodes, then he just ,*blam*, shoots an innocent person just when you started to like him, then he's dead.

Couldn't have been more typical for the whole concept of the show, in my opinion. :)

All in all I agree though that season 6-1 isn't the strongest.

Man, I've carefully got to avoid reading spoilers for 6-2 in here, but I couldn't resist coming in. :)

/covers eyes
  • El_MUERkO 6 Jun 2007 13:41:05 17,037 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Why did they split Season 6 in half anyway? I was just getting into it...

Very strange those episodes with Tony in hospital. Ruined it for me. Then came the 'gay' episodes. I kept thinking is this the Sopranos I'm watching here? Hopefully the second half of the season will be a return to form.

it does now go away from this thread cause there is lots to spoil
  • MrCarrot 6 Jun 2007 13:46:42 3,516 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    All in all I agree though that season 6-1 isn't the strongest.

I'd agree, but 6-2 has so far been pure distilled awesome.
  • craigy Staff 6 Jun 2007 13:52:57 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been amazing; there's been such a sense of foreboding during the second half of the season, but I hope the writers don't have the balls to kill Tony off.

What did you guys think of Melfi in The Blue Comet? I found her to be pretty amazing.
  • Machiavel 6 Jun 2007 14:07:32 5,964 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His last line to her, withheld for spoilerific reasons, was fantastic: ironic, apt, and somehow summing up the gangster/psychologist ark of the whole show.

Yes, I think the second half has been fantastic - where will we go from here?

(answer to self - probably The Wire if I can get used to all the alleged swearing)
  • craigy Staff 6 Jun 2007 21:08:26 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just rewatched The Blue Comet, and here are my conclusions:

*SPECULATION AHEAD!*

Paulie is a rat. He hesitated when Silv and Bobby told them about the plan to hit Phil, and he specifically handed the task down to someone else. This sort of behaviour makes me think that he's somehow loyal to Phil, and can't stand the thought of being the one doing the dirty work, and arranging the hit.

Also, Tony has had a fairly rocky relationship with Paulie recently - the brushing off when they were having dinner "'remember when' is the lowest form of conversation", and don't forget Paulie's recent dreams featuring Pussy (the line he says is something like "When my time comes, will I stand up?". This could be interpreted as being a call to arms somewhat, reminding himself that he shouldn't lie down for Tony, like Pussy did.

I can only guess it's going to end with Tony whacking Paulie, then Phil or Paulie whacks Tony, and then gets whacked himself by Phil. There's also a possibility that Patsy is biding his time, using the relationship Meadow and Lil Patsy have to get close to Tony. Remember, Tony whacked Patsy's twin, Philly Spoons, and could still harbour revengeful motives.

In conclusion, Sopranos is the most amazingest show evar.

Note: some leaked screencaps are here (they don't seem to contain spoilers, and I couldn't resist!): http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x14/sopranoscaps/Made%20In%20America/

• Orange 6 Jun 2007 21:37:27 4,812 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like Uncle Junior may still have a part to play. Maybe he calls in a favour from someone to take out Phil in revenge for Bobby.
  • craigy Staff 6 Jun 2007 21:47:54 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure how much use he might be - he's mad as a snake these days.
  • FWB 6 Jun 2007 23:38:22 44,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have never trusted Paulie.

Where the fuck did the info for that innocent guy's house come from? Who told those two Italians that that Ukrainian's pad was Phil's?

Sopranos is awesome. God - assuming I get in - better have it running up there.

Edited by FWB at 23:40:36 06-06-2007
  • Deleted user 7 June 2007 13:56:51
    I've just started watch season 6-2 on TV here in Ireland but this thread has made me want to catch up with you guys. Where's the best place to find good torrents for these episodes?
  • Machiavel 7 Jun 2007 14:25:06 5,964 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not so sure about the Paulie theory, although he obviously will figure hugely in the final episode. He might have been paranoid about being set up for the fall with the assassination plot (which, let's face it, he was) but the pass on to/pass on to he did was actually referenced when being discussed with Tony - so many friends of friends to distance the top from the deed.

I thought the early episodes of the 6-2 were all about Tony's dwelling on trust and betrayal, and each lieutenant seemed to be highlighted in an episode (save for the ever trusty Silv).

On the other hand, I like your "call to arms" thoughts. When it was first shown, I saw it purely as a question of backbone, that he would 'stand up' literally to accept his death, rather than sit there and plead like Pussy did. But yes, his long-term New York connection might come spectacularly into play (and that brilliant moment when Paulie's staring into the mirror, having realised that John had played him for a sucker for many years in the last series, is forever etched on my Sopranos consciousness)
  • pistol 7 Jun 2007 14:40:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    It's been amazing; there's been such a sense of foreboding during the second half of the season, but I hope the writers don't have the balls to kill Tony off.

What did you guys think of Melfi in The Blue Comet? I found her to be pretty amazing.

Yep, I really enjoyed the dialogue between Melfi & Tony in that episode. I was wondering where they were going when they first starting showing her visiting her own therapist.
  • DoleScum 8 Jun 2007 17:02:09 573 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a feeling Tony might go to the feds, they've been in a few of the last episodes and it seemed like they were building to something with it.

Paulie being a rat makes alot of sense as well.

The previous half of this series was pretty weak for me, but the second half has been non stop greatness.
  • L0cky 10 Jun 2007 15:08:09 1,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paulie's been set up to be a rat for NY for about 2 seasons now. He used to be the highest captain up at the top but has been pushed away by Tony and Sil in favour of Bobby (while Chris pushed himself away). There's been loads of episodes with his unhappiness of this, and of him getting closer to John's side.

However, there is the 'will I stand up?' line; Paulie being old school - when loyalty meant a damn which was reenforced in 'Remember When'; and at the end, Tony told him to go home but he stayed for the fight. If he was with NY wouldn't he have left to let NY know where the safe-house is?

I think the ultimate ending will be: Paulie does stand up, and takes a bullet for T.
  • quedex 11 Jun 2007 07:42:43 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    squish!

Abso-feckin-lutely brilliant ending.
  • craigy Staff 11 Jun 2007 09:20:01 7,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Argh, haven't watched it yet - gotta stay away from this thread!
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous