First Time Buyers Page 8

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 15:22:25 36,446 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another problem is that most people are lazy, inconsiderate cunts.
  • nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 15:25:43 61,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The male idiot who owned our house is still turning up to collect his mail every few weeks because the redirection cost is a 'rip off'.

Which, to be honest, is kind of awkward as every time he comes round we have made further steps to erase the terrible taste him and his wife had.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mcmonkeyplc 27 Mar 2013 15:27:39 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not a massive place anyway, I'm sure my mum will have it cleaned up in no time :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 27 Mar 2013 15:29:03 61,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats the spirit

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 15:29:09 36,446 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't remember paying for redirection of our post. We still get letters for the previous owner and we've been here over two years. They tend to burn well on the fire.
  • Vortex808 27 Mar 2013 15:29:56 7,590 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its always the way, though. As soon as you take the furniture out of a place and have a good look, the place looks like a right shite hole.
    This. I mistakenly though the flat I bought looked fine, until everything else was moved out. Then it turned out that it needed some serious decoration. The manky fucks didn't even clean the grill pan before leaving. Various years worth of their lard collection to dispose of. Blech.

Our house was an old person's 'not decorated much since the 1970s' shitpit, so at least we knew we needed to gut it from the start!
  • henro_ben 27 Mar 2013 15:35:43 2,244 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:

Our house was an old person's 'not decorated much since the 1970s' shitpit, so at least we knew we needed to gut it from the start!
    That's more or less described my new house. Artex with everything seems to have been the previous owner's motto :-(

It's all been maintained... but very much 'that'll do' maintenance so nothing's ever been finished off properly. Drives me mental! Just basic stuff like sanding filler before painting seems to have been too much work for them - grrrr!
  • JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 15:41:21 36,446 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Our house is an 18th Century cottage with loads of beams and the previous owner put fucking woodchip wallpaper all over the hallway and living room walls. Stupid old bitch.
  • mad_caddy 27 Mar 2013 15:47:25 3,306 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're close to moving in to our first owned house after renting for so long. it's taken a long time to get sorted we got it stupidly cheap and it's taken a lot of work, at one stage it was pretty much an empty shell.

We've had wood chip in the kitchen, which was under neath tiles, we've had tiles int he bathroom ont op of old wall paper, we've had 3 or 4 layers of wall paper everywhere else.

Telephone cables extended through 3 rooms drilled through the walls. A Tv aerial that comes into one room then goes into a booster then back out over the roof down to the living room.

We had wood panelling in two other rooms that was over tiles.

The guy smoked heavily so everything had to be ripped out and replaced, cleaned and painted, oh and he had rats under the kitchen units which ate away at everything and it's taken a long time to clean and gut the place, we'll be moving in soon, not quite finished yet.
  • THFourteen 27 Mar 2013 15:47:55 34,475 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    good work MCM

my wife and her mum are set for cleaning duty starting at 2pm tomorrow, before my parents arrive on friday for further cleaning duty.

i will be in charge of setting up internet, tv stuffs, sky, computer etc.

fingers crossed for keys on time.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Mar 2013 15:51:17 17,387 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    It's all been maintained... but very much 'that'll do' maintenance so nothing's ever been finished off properly.
    This is me, in a nutshell, the missus will always want everything done as perfectly as possible but I'm very much of the opinion that if you can't see it then it isn't there. I'm the same with cleaning, "move furniture and clean under it?!? Madness".

You are a factory of sadness.

• DaM 27 Mar 2013 15:51:40 13,537 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't tire yourself out plugging in those cables THF!
  • DaM 27 Mar 2013 15:53:47 13,537 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My family are all of the "fuck it, it will do" mentality, but my wife's are perfectionists, everything has to be done right. Getting blokes in to do work is a nightmare, as they have such high standards, they fall out with them all for "issues" I'd never notice.

They remove radiators to paint/paper behind them FFS!
  • JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 15:55:22 36,446 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    good work MCM

my wife and her mum are set for cleaning duty starting at 2pm tomorrow, before my parents arrive on friday for further cleaning duty.

i will be in charge of setting up internet, tv stuffs, sky, computer etc.

fingers crossed for keys on time.
    Do make sure they start at 2pm on the nose won't you - that cleaning isn't gonna do itself.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Mar 2013 15:55:42 17,387 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @mad_caddy Fair play to you, sounds like you have put in a lot of work. In the end, you will have created almost exactly what you want and that's something to be proud of. Our house was mostly in good shape when we moved in so we've had very little that absolutely needed doing, it's good in some ways but the place is still largely as it was when we moved in, apart from the odd lick of paint here and there and a whole bunch of shelving.

• disusedgenius 27 Mar 2013 15:55:48 5,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh, I've bought a new build so I'm doing the opposite and just waiting for a couple of years for everything to deteriorate for me.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Mar 2013 15:56:49 17,387 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    They remove radiators to paint/paper behind them FFS!
    Hah, my girlfriend's parents did the exact same thing, caused me a bit of a problem when I didn't know how to correctly repressurise the boiler!

• THFourteen 27 Mar 2013 15:59:48 34,475 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DaM

Obviously everything needs to be tested extensively in case i have to make insurance claims against the removals company... especially all of the gaming consoles.

@JuanKerr

Hey, i'd much rather pay for someone to do the cleaning, but apparently "thats not good enough standard" for mrs thfourteen, so if she wants to do it, she can!

i'll do the unpacking.
  • mcmonkeyplc 27 Mar 2013 16:05:58 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's what big families are for. They can all come over on Friday to see the place as long as they help with the cleaning and unpacking :)

I might even let them have a slice of pizza.

Edit: Just read through this thread and it's basically a blog of my buying experience!

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 16:09:43 27-03-2013

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mad_caddy 27 Mar 2013 16:55:52 3,306 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It has been a lot of fun doing, some stress and some severe project management, having friends of the family who were plasterers (he also does plumbing and all sorts of other building stuff) an electrician, a carpet fitter etc has meant we've done it reasonably cheap. it's still hit the bank hard and has gone over initial expectations. but going from a house where we had too few plug sockets to one where i got to decide where we had them all it's been great. I think everyone involved underestimated it's overall scale.

I do also know the house inside out now.

I've had a roughed out calendar in my pocket for the past month of who was going in to the house and when etc. It's been close to breaking me at times because there was so much work. but the end is in sight and it's looking good.

I wont ever do it this way again I don't think although I think we've managed to add a shit load of value to the property being as we managed to buy it for 17k less than it was valued at, and it was valued at that when it was an utter shit tip.

I wont be watching grand designs or homes under the hammer any time soon, hats off to any one that takes on a bigger project.
  • FWB 27 Mar 2013 17:06:44 45,627 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gratz monkey. More headaches to come owning a place, but at least it is yours and you can do what you want with it.
  • Dougs 27 Mar 2013 18:52:12 69,535 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its always the way, though. As soon as you take the furniture out of a place and have a good look, the place looks like a right shite hole.
    I don't think I can describe the feeling of utter horror when we first moved in to our place. It stank and was so far from the property we viewed, it didn’t seem right. All carpets, bar the stairs and dining room came out within seconds (covered in dog piss) and then found a leaking manhole under the conservatory floor. Raw sewage. Triffic. 5 years later and we're still finding random stuff they'd done.
  • mrpon 27 Mar 2013 18:53:51 29,587 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New builds only for err indoors.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 27 Mar 2013 19:09:12 34,475 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me too. There's a lack of them in twickers but managed to get a townhouse that is about 15 years old, so still in good nick.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 27 Mar 2013 19:39:53 516 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought a new build nearly 3 years ago and the situation tends be very different. Everything is a little more logical and unused, however strange design flaws tend to need sorting.
  • FWB 27 Mar 2013 19:45:33 45,627 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Takes about a year for a new build to settle.
  • Dougs 27 Mar 2013 20:14:16 69,535 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    New builds only for err indoors.
    Nah I love character houses. I love our wonky door ways, death stairs etc. Just time and money has prevented us from finishing it just yet. And now we're going to add an extension!
  • mrpon 27 Mar 2013 20:19:04 29,587 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been there done that Dougs, grade 2 listed as well. New build is a refreshing change.

Still get the pang though ;)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 27 Mar 2013 20:57:48 69,535 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :) Just a Victorian cottage here! There is a definite appeal of new builds, most are just so soulless though. If you get some that have had some thought put into it then you're onto a winner.
  • JuanKerr 27 Mar 2013 21:07:55 36,446 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New builds have their own problems though - a lot are built quickly and cheaply, so problems can arise a few years down the line. Character houses all the way.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last