First Time Buyers Page 5

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• henro_ben 30 Oct 2012 09:41:40 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Saw a place I liked a couple of weeks ago and made an offer last week. That was accepted, mortgage sorted (in principle) and lawyers on the case. The estate agents reckoned I could be in there in around three weeks, though that sounds a bit ambitious. I'll be chuffed to be in by Christmas.
    That's what they said to me...!

Mortgage application sent, lawyer instructed and surveys done within a week of the offer being accepted followed by... 4 weeks of waiting for the lender to approve the mortgage :-(
  • AccidentProne 30 Oct 2012 09:50:34 1,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully won't take that long, but it's not that much of a problem if it takes a bit longer. I'll be in the states for work over the next couple of weeks, so can't see much happening until I'm back anyway.

I'm not actually borrowing all that much, as I'd saved up a pretty hefty deposit, so I'm hoping mortgage approval won't cause too much of a delay.
  • Dougs 30 Oct 2012 09:53:18 69,500 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    End of Feb!? That seems a very long time to wait, are you in a chain then?

Mine's a probate sale so should be pretty quick, fingers crossed anyway.

Now need to arrange a time to go round for another look & to do some serious measuring. Also want to see if they've moved/cleared any of the stuff in the house, am quite tempted to suggest that they can leave it and I'll clear it as I redecorate. Would rather spill paint on someone else's furniture than my own!
    Before the sale they will have to produce a list of the fixtures and fittings they are leaving behind. If it needs decorating, I'd be tempted to get them to clear it all out and then have a couple of weeks free run at it to at least do one or two rooms.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Oct 2012 10:01:36 39,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    End of Feb!? That seems a very long time to wait, are you in a chain then?

Mine's a probate sale so should be pretty quick, fingers crossed anyway.

Now need to arrange a time to go round for another look & to do some serious measuring. Also want to see if they've moved/cleared any of the stuff in the house, am quite tempted to suggest that they can leave it and I'll clear it as I redecorate. Would rather spill paint on someone else's furniture than my own!
    She's stuck in her mortgage until then or some such bullshit. I'm going to try and get some money off her for it but I doubt I'll get much. I'm already getting all her furniture bar the bed.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• henro_ben 30 Oct 2012 10:10:13 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Before the sale they will have to produce a list of the fixtures and fittings they are leaving behind. If it needs decorating, I'd be tempted to get them to clear it all out and then have a couple of weeks free run at it to at least do one or two rooms.
    That was my initial thought as well, but I don't actually have much furniture and there's some quite nice G-plan furniture there I wouldn't mind if they left...!
  • elstoof 30 Oct 2012 11:03:12 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get the estate agent to ask the vendor what they intend on leaving. Clearing stuff out is a headache though, I had my house gutted and redecorated, they left a few bits behind plus all the carpets, kitchen, bathrooms and 2 under street vaults full of shit had to be removed. Hiring a skip in London is torture, 1 skip was pathetic in what got put in and cost a fortune for hire and licensing, rubbish removal firms were literally rubbish - the first thing they did was complain about the amount of rubbish, half filled the van then fucked off because they were tired of carrying. Had to hire a lorry in the end and do it ourselves.
  • henro_ben 14 Nov 2012 16:37:34 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just been given my completion date, the end of the month I shall be a home owner...

Has been a most stressful experience, can't wait for it to be over!
  • elstoof 14 Nov 2012 16:41:22 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Congrats, getting the exchange done finally is a real relief, it actually is all over now - all parties are legally bound to meet the completion date. Good luck with the move!
  • henro_ben 18 Dec 2012 15:18:09 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blimey, been a month since I last posted in here.

Have got the keys, moved in, sorted out a gas leak in the kitchen and am now stuck on the seemingly endless task of removing 30 year old flock wallpaper...

Hurrah for home ownership!
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 15:30:53
    We moved a couple of weeks ago.

First time I used the washing machine it smelt like it was burning.
    Had to buy new (integrated) one - 700. B-stards!
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 15:45:01 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing like a brand new washing machine that hasn't ever washed anyone else's semen from bed sheets or skid marks from undies though eh.
  • henro_ben 18 Dec 2012 16:10:41 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ouch! A 700 surprise is not what you want just after moving in, puts my 170 repair bill for taking the floor up and fixing the gas pipe in perspective!
  • mrpon 18 Dec 2012 16:24:53 29,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eww, are you a mattress keeper as well? @Ali

Edited by mrpon at 16:25:18 18-12-2012

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 18 December 2012 16:26:09
    Last time we moved I got the boiler serviced and the British Gas man condemned it on the spot. Cost: 2500. I really need to start looking out for these things.

Still congrats on your move. The stressful part is over - now you can start enjoying your new place.
    Whats with the wallpaper - old couple live there before?
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 16:28:11
    @mrpon

Eh? I dont get it. Are you implying its a bit skanky to keep someone elses machine? If so guilty as charged.
  • THFourteen 18 Dec 2012 16:39:21 34,469 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    isn't gas saftey covered by the housebuyers survey? they should have an annual gas saftey inspection every year and a signed bit of paper its the law.

just put offer in on a house... REJECTED
  • elstoof 18 Dec 2012 16:51:12 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the gas inspection for a buyers survey and the gas inspection to sell you a new boiler are two very different types of inspection.
  • henro_ben 18 Dec 2012 16:51:39 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gas leak came from brushing against the fitting for a gas cooker when we were moving in the electric cooker - the pipe had a temporary bayonet fitting that must have been decades old. Seemed like a simple fix to cut down the pipe & cap but then discovered that the pipe was corroded at the join with the concrete floor. All good fun, especially with the gas cut off and no central heating.

House was a probate sale, so probably last decorated in the early 80's! Still, has been well maintained and rewired at least fairly recently, so mostly only cosmetic work required.

Need to replace the terrifying gas fired back boiler, but the heating engineer has checked it all out so it'll be left until April to remove that bad boy... just as well, it's going to be pricey :-(
  • Orange 18 Dec 2012 18:17:22 4,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surveys being done on mine this week, not expecting any problems as it's good place and built in the 90's, but you never know.
  • localnotail 18 Dec 2012 19:15:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    isn't gas saftey covered by the housebuyers survey? they should have an annual gas saftey inspection every year and a signed bit of paper its the law.

just put offer in on a house... REJECTED
    Bad luck - how low did you go?

Annual gas inspections are only the law for rental properties btw.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 16:50:36 39,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why would my estate agent want me to exchange ASAP when the completion date isn't till late March?

• mrpon 23 Jan 2013 16:53:17 29,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Commission

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Jan 2013 16:54:23 39,567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what I thought. He can go fuck himself.

• elstoof 23 Jan 2013 16:56:38 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can still get gazumped until you actually exchange though, or the seller could decide to back out for whatever reason still. Probably wants to seal the deal and leave no chance for backing out from either of you.
  • FWB 23 Jan 2013 17:11:05 45,587 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What do you mean by completion? When you move in?
  • FWB 23 Jan 2013 17:14:34 45,587 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shik... you got a lot of stuff to move? I think my lawyer was about 500 to 700.
  • elstoof 23 Jan 2013 17:20:38 8,307 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    What do you mean by completion? When you move in?
    Completion is when you pay up all the money and get the keys. Exchange is when you pay your deposit and set completion date normally, and is the point of no return for either party.
  • FWB 23 Jan 2013 17:22:18 45,587 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably 6-7 grand for me to deck out the essentials in my one bed place (kitchen was already fitted, mind), but I didn't go cheap.

Keep the furniture and replace it bit by bit with nice pieces. No point buying cheap again and you shouldn't rush the nicer things. Wait till you are settling and get a feel for a place. Can take your time then.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last