Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Page 172

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• Rusty_M 20 Jun 2012 08:52:34 4,690 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I beg your pardon?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• dominalien 20 Jun 2012 08:56:21 6,860 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He doesn't speak any English. Been posting gibberish all morning.

PSN: DonOsito

• spindle9988 20 Jun 2012 09:27:37 3,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What u mean no speaky the englishe. jUst wnated to asked why servera already down alreadys
  • greg_wha 22 Jun 2012 18:31:40 192 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What!?
  • bobdebob 22 Jun 2012 22:33:43 587 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They closed it down because there weren't enough people online.

It was a subpar experience anyway, multiple accounts to access it, paying for other character slots as well as the accessories, controls were not retuned for mp and not many people online. It had interesting modes like the stealth mode and quite good gunplay but it wasn't refined enough.

Still, it was a lot more fun than the main game.
  • King_Edward 22 Jun 2012 22:43:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You bashed Yakuza 2 now you're bashing Metal Gear? You're like the anti-me!
  • bobdebob 22 Jun 2012 22:54:49 587 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    You bashed Yakuza 2 now you're bashing Metal Gear? You're like the anti-me!
    I'm just bashing MGS4, Yakuza 2 was still fun enough to play despite its shortcomings.
  • Abdu@EG 4 Jul 2012 23:07:26 17 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I miss MGO2 :(. It's the best tactical, team-based shooter.
    Currently I'm only playing Uncharted 2 MP.
  • KayJay 11 Jul 2012 08:45:23 5,288 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trophy Support!

Anyone going to dive in again?
  • spindle9988 11 Jul 2012 08:47:17 3,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked MGS4. Not as good as 3 but a great game still

Edit:spelling

Edited by spindle9988 at 09:13:41 11-07-2012
  • Zizoo 11 Jul 2012 08:48:22 8,378 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I am playing 3 on Vita, and was going to play this soon anyway, so that's great news.
  • SolidSCB 11 Jul 2012 13:10:03 6,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Time to dust off the PS3. I didn't think trophies would ever be put in there. Hope it's a decent list.
  • andywilkie35 11 Jul 2012 13:48:12 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played 2 and 3 again in the HD release and was planning a summer playthrough of 4, so definitely looking forward to this :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Slint1000 11 Jul 2012 13:56:41 3,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Took bloody long enough! I've never uninstalled this from my hard drive (despite only having the smallest 40gig version!) because I always want to play it again even though I haven't actually touched it for a couple of years at least.

This will tempt me back for another go though I reckon.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jul 2012 11:24:33 6,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The budget MGS4 will have full installs now as well. No word on if exsisting copies will get a patch for it, but a decent (and much sought after) addition. Personally I never really minded the installs. Helped give me a quick break in between chapters/cutscenes, but shorter loading times are always a good thing.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jul 2012 11:37:15 6,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Big Boss is a no kill, no alert, no healing runthrough of the hardest difficulty in under 5 hours (I think). I actually got it back nearer to when it was released. If the MGS HD trophies/achievements are anything to go by though, there won't be a whole heap dedicated to the harder difficulties and more seeking out Easter Eggs and collectibles. Hope there's at least one or two proper challenging ones though. Wouldn't mind trying another Big Boss playthrough.
  • Cappy 12 Jul 2012 14:44:28 11,940 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If Koji-Pro went back and fixed all the technical cludges that afflict Metal Gear Solid 4 and added some new playable content such as VR Missions I'd consider buying the game again.

It's faintly hilarious to recall Kojima's disappointment that the PS3 was maxed out and couldn't handle his vision, only for numerous PS3 games to come along and trump it totally. Metal Gear Solid 4 remains to this day the only PS3 title that ever required multiple installs throughout a playthrough.

With some competent programmers the visible installs could be dispensed with entirely and replaced with a cacheing system such as the one Uncharted uses and the resolution boosted to 720p.

That would fix the first of the high profile Japanese disasters of this generation somewhat, especially if they could get a bit more playable content in there to balance against the cutscenes.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 04:30:28
    @Cappy

I think you're being rather harsh. MGS4 remains a technical marvel, especially considering it's now 4 years old and still pisses on the majority of games released today. Kojima also stated in his latest podcast that the reason they opted for a multiple install feature was because early PS3s had small hard drives, so each act had to be over-written as you went along. He also said that installing the game fully on your hard drive will require just under 20 GB of hard drive space.

Regarding the resolution, I'm pretty sure MGS4 is one of the few games that outputs in full 1080p without having to manually force it. My PS3 is set to output in 1080p yet almost all of my games automatically downscale to 720p. MGS4 is the only game I have along with GT5 that outputs in 1080p. I've not noticed any visible tearing or frame rate drops as a result of using that resolution.

Edited by sfp_noodle at 04:32:00 23-07-2012
  • chessboxer 27 Jul 2012 04:57:27 250 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sfp_noodle wrote:
    @Cappy

I think you're being rather harsh. MGS4 remains a technical marvel, especially considering it's now 4 years old and still pisses on the majority of games released today. Kojima also stated in his latest podcast that the reason they opted for a multiple install feature was because early PS3s had small hard drives, so each act had to be over-written as you went along. He also said that installing the game fully on your hard drive will require just under 20 GB of hard drive space.

Regarding the resolution, I'm pretty sure MGS4 is one of the few games that outputs in full 1080p without having to manually force it. My PS3 is set to output in 1080p yet almost all of my games automatically downscale to 720p. MGS4 is the only game I have along with GT5 that outputs in 1080p. I've not noticed any visible tearing or frame rate drops as a result of using that resolution.
    MGS4 cannot be fully installed onto a 20GB HDD, it would have been a partial install.

MGS4 upscales to 1080p, it runs natively at 1024x768 but it does look fantastic for an upscaled game, mainly due to a fairly aggressive AA algorithm and good textures. Seeing as the game varies between 31GB-36GB depending on region (and no version of the game contains all of the languages), having it run at 720p would require a lot more space as there are quite a few cutscenes in the game. Kojima had to do some impressive compression to get the game down to the current sizes.
  • dominalien 27 Jul 2012 07:49:07 6,860 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:

MGS4 upscales to 1080p, it runs natively at 1024x768 but it does look fantastic for an upscaled game, mainly due to a fairly aggressive AA algorithm and good textures. Seeing as the game varies between 31GB-36GB depending on region (and no version of the game contains all of the languages), having it run at 720p would require a lot more space as there are quite a few cutscenes in the game. Kojima had to do some impressive compression to get the game down to the current sizes.
    What does its native res and amount of cutscenes have to do with space?

• Zizoo 27 Jul 2012 08:04:08 8,378 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Because there are so many of them, and they take up a lot of space?
  • dominalien 27 Jul 2012 08:31:59 6,860 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They don't, cutscenes in MGS4 are in-engine.

Plus, even if they weren't, the resolution of cutscenes has nothing to do with the res at which the game runs. They could be rendered at 1080p and take up the remaining 15GB of space on the disc and the game could still be running at 1024x768. Also, resolution is not the only factor that impacts a movie's size. Bitrate has an equal, if not greater, effect.

Additionally, 1280x720 is only 17% larger than 1024x768, so if the game were composed entirely of pre-rendered cutscenes, it would only be some 5GB larger than it is - still well within the size limitations of Blu-ray. Hardly "a lot more space".

• Zizoo 27 Jul 2012 09:08:44 8,378 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's me told then! I had no idea :)
  • Cappy 27 Jul 2012 09:33:57 11,940 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sfp_noodle wrote:
    I think you're being rather harsh. MGS4 remains a technical marvel, especially considering it's now 4 years old and still pisses on the majority of games released today.
    As the saying goes, I call them as I see them.

For Metal Gear Solid 4 to stand as a technical marvel what are you comparing it against? Games ported over from the 360? Whilst it's definitely a technical marvel compared to the absolutely painful PS3 version of the mediocre Enslaved for instance, dancing better than a quadriplegic doesn't suddenly make you a candidate for best dancer in the World.

I still can't see any good reason why the game had to be saddled with such a large install requirement. The environments are no bigger than Uncharted for instance, areas tend to be small, any areas with multiple pathways are bland and empty (such as the area before you confront Laughing Octopus). We really had to suffer that for the 0.01% of users who might notice the sound has been compressed?

I can't say I ever recall feeling particularly impressed by Guns of the Patriots in 2008. Nothing like the discovery of the submarine in Uncharted for instance.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2012 09:46:43
    Because the BD drive in the PS3 is slow as piss.
  • dominalien 27 Jul 2012 10:08:18 6,860 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They probably were unwilling or unable or simply ran out of time implementing a sensible system to eliminate the ridiculous installs. Doesn't make it any less of an achievement in the graphics department, if it is one.

• chessboxer 28 Jul 2012 07:09:14 250 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    They don't, cutscenes in MGS4 are in-engine.

Plus, even if they weren't, the resolution of cutscenes has nothing to do with the res at which the game runs. They could be rendered at 1080p and take up the remaining 15GB of space on the disc and the game could still be running at 1024x768. Also, resolution is not the only factor that impacts a movie's size. Bitrate has an equal, if not greater, effect.

Additionally, 1280x720 is only 17% larger than 1024x768, so if the game were composed entirely of pre-rendered cutscenes, it would only be some 5GB larger than it is - still well within the size limitations of Blu-ray. Hardly "a lot more space".
    They are in-engine but I don't I don't think they are all real time. Those where you can control the Metal Gear mk2/3 are certainly real time however others might be pre-rendered (using the game engine) with real time assets - such as the currently active camo but your current weapon is always replaced by either a knife/pistol (I think it's the SA 1911 Operator) combo or the M4 Custom (usually silenced with a scope/grip etc).

I agree with you on the importance of bitrate but also the chosen codec is very important too. The use of Bink Video in most games (especially Unreal Engine titles) is a disgrace. Thankfully there is no sign of it here.

What we do know (or have been told) is that the full version of MGS4 is over 50GB. KP had to strip out languages for the various regions and use some aggressive compression methods to get the game down to its current size.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Jul 2012 08:32:20 14,683 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lads not been keeping up with this, when does it get Trophy support ? I assume it will work will all copies of the game.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• SolidSCB 28 Jul 2012 13:50:03 6,706 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trophies come in August. It'll be a patch so you don't have to worry about buying an updated copy or anything stupid.
  • Page

of 173 First / Last