of 173 First / Last

• King_Edward 19 May 2012 14:22:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They're all fantastic.
  • SolidSCB 19 May 2012 14:22:57 6,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thing with MGS4 is that it has a bit of everything in there. People get put off by certain chapters because most of them are so wildly different. Personally, I think it is the best game this gen. The gameplay, once you get over the fact that it has changed quite a bit, is probably the most well rounded in the series.
  • MatMan562 19 May 2012 14:24:24 2,460 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spacewarrior The war setting is only the first Act if i'm not mistaken (the idea of it carries into the other acts but on a much smaller scale), maybe it will pick up for you after that?

The gameplay is the same as the others is it not? Personally I think i'd put MGS4 as the best in the series but I've only played them all once and it was the last one I played so that could be why.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• richarddavies 19 May 2012 14:55:48 2,656 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i thought 4 had the tightest gameplay but the crappest story. It still does look quite nice though, the character models in particular.
  • SolidSCB 19 May 2012 15:56:53 6,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MGS4 completely redefined the gameplay of the series to fit in with the 3D camera, and along with the Octocamo and tighter third person  shooting mechanics offered a completely new take on MGS gameplay, so I don't know where the 'outdated' comes from.

Disagree about MGS3 becoming boring in the second half too. The build up to the final act is great, and the entire end sequence is one of the if not the very best in videogame history.
  • dsmx 19 May 2012 16:46:32 7,604 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MGS3 is still one the best game I've ever played, can't believe that anyone would think that it goes downhill after the fear battle if anything it gets even better after that fight.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• SolidSCB 19 May 2012 16:51:49 6,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    I don't get the hate for the second in the series, it was the first one I played, in fact it was the first game I played on my brand new PS2 and it blew me away, I loved it.
    Fantastic game. A lot of people get a bit hung up on the last 2 hours when the 'storyline goes insane'. It doesn't go insane at all, everything regarding the main story is fairly black and white and perfectly understandable. People seem to think a lot of the dialogue with the corrupt Colonel (GW) AI actually matters, when actually it is just a corrupt AI waffling a load of shite and trying to play mind games with Raiden.
  • SolidSCB 19 May 2012 18:43:46 6,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's what the whole last section was designed to do, play with your (and Raiden's) head. There is a whole underlying aside of 'why am I here?, who am I?' and a whole heap of memetic legacy in the subtext, but it isn't particularly integral to the actual MGS storyline, which by itself, is fairly straightforward to follow.
  • King_Edward 19 May 2012 18:58:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why shouldn't a stealth game fuck with your head? Thief anyone?
  • gooner77 22 May 2012 08:40:32 764 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    the fury boss sequence from
    mgs 3 is the best boss battle ever. however the raging raven encounter from mgs4 is pretty good too
  • greg_wha 22 May 2012 10:46:35 192 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I enjoyed MGS4 up until the level where you have to track down and follow some guys in a foggy European city. Got bored after many attempts and f'ed it off.

Recently got the HD collection and downloaded MGS; the PSX game is incredible. I looked back at MGS2 with rose tinted glasses though, it's not aged well at all.
  • chrisno21 22 May 2012 10:47:08 1,509 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahhh, all this talk has just made me order the vita MG collection. Great games all of them.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Widge Moderator 22 May 2012 13:15:23 13,593 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing I didn't like about MGS4 was the abundance of weapons. I'd prefer it to be pistol, machine gun... and thats about it. The joy of MGS was the "how am I going to navigate the room?", so having an entire arsenal of crazy weapons at your disposal was baffling.

I love Octocamo though. The one thing I remember about MGS3 was the constant navigation to change your camo setup, totally got in the way of a fluid game playing experience. Wasn't so hot on the Camo mask though, makes your cutscenes look a bit shit.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• King_Edward 22 May 2012 13:56:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    greg_wha wrote:
    I enjoyed MGS4 up until the level where you have to track down and follow some guys in a foggy European city. Got bored after many attempts and f'ed it off.

Recently got the HD collection and downloaded MGS; the PSX game is incredible. I looked back at MGS2 with rose tinted glasses though, it's not aged well at all.
    BEST MISSION EVER!

You can just switch to your octocamo and breeze it if you're struggling.
  • greg_wha 24 May 2012 10:33:31 192 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @King_Edward Cheers! :)
  • Armoured_Bear 24 May 2012 12:34:40 11,266 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The biggest problem is the preposterous yet boring plot and embarassing dialogue.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CosmicFuzz 24 May 2012 12:39:52 24,360 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I looooooved this game. The distinct chapters were a nice constant change of pace, and the memories it dragged up at certain points was brilliant. Totally plan on replaying them all when Vita collection comes out.

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• King_Edward 24 May 2012 12:51:30 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The biggest problem is the preposterous yet boring plot and embarassing dialogue.
    No, those are the biggest plusses. :) The installs are the problem.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2012 13:05:03 59,937 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My overriding memory of this game is the word 'MEERRRRYYYLL'

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Lt_Drebin 24 May 2012 13:46:20 155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    greg_wha wrote:

BEST MISSION EVER!

You can just switch to your octocamo and breeze it if you're struggling.
    How did I not think of this before!? I finished the game once but every replay since has stopped at this chapter because I just don't have the patience. Very, very grateful for the tip!
  • greg_wha 5 Jun 2012 16:11:03 192 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thanks to @King_Edward I completed this today on Normal difficulty with a Hyena rating (I'm guessing that's pretty shit); JESUS the last few cutscenes are tiresome! Loved it though.

Anyway, random question; downloaded the MGS database from PSN and it doesn't seem to like my completed save file when trying to unlock all the MGS4 info.

Anyone else had this problemo?

Edit; Recently played through Mass Effect 2 and you have to respect the polish and bug freeness of the MGS games.

Edited by greg_wha at 17:51:26 05-06-2012
  • Mehrdad 20 Jun 2012 06:14:37 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't relaized why they close servers since gamers wants open an play?
  • Page

of 173 First / Last