Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Page 170

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• bionic 18 Aug 2011 07:26:02 86 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I got futher into this Metal Gear Solid adventure more than the previous adventures. Even so, it remains tough. I got as far as the section feat. a warehouse type location fill with piles of rubble. There was this one guy to defeat. I tried and tried again until a gave up, as he was bullet proof. I did something I did not want to resort to, a read through. It turns out I was required to stick a syringe in him. How I was I supposed to work that one out? even with the newly acquired knowledge, I gave up.

10/10 - Graphics
    9/10 - Game play
  • King_Edward 18 Aug 2011 09:36:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He does yes. You should get back to it Bionic. You're so close to the most amazing bit.
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Aug 2011 09:38:39 23,293 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You give it a 10 for graphics, a 9 for gameplay, and give up because you got stuck on a bit? That's mental dude!

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Psiloc 18 Aug 2011 09:39:29 1,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In two unrelated cutscenes you're told in one that the syringes suppress nanomachines, and in another you're told that Vamp's 'immortality' is due to his nanomachines. You're meant to piece it together from that, which is harder than it sounds and is why Otacon tells you if you pester him enough.

Anyway, quick question for you industry types, is there any chance that the upcoming rerelease of this in the Zavvi bundle will have to include trophies as mandated by Sony? Or is that not necessary if the data on the disc is identical to the previous release, thus doesn't have to be certified again?
  • richarddavies 18 Aug 2011 09:41:30 2,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have to admit I think I was stuck for a bit at that part the first time I played it. I knew I had to stick him withs Snakes pointy syringe thanks to the codec but I didn't know how to put it in Vamp.
  • King_Edward 18 Aug 2011 09:42:35 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm not sure, but I think the Zavvi re-release isn't exactly a re-release, more of a bundle. So they just tape an old copy of MGS4 to the side of the MGS Collection box.
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2011 09:49:48 11,831 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metal Gear Solid 4 needs it's technical problems fixed far more urgently than some silly trophies anyway.

It's the only PS3 game with an awkward multiple install system that breaks up game play. Which leads me to believe that developers who had some idea what they were doing could at least improve it, if not eliminate the install entirely. It's a sub-HD game with not particularly large areas, there's no reason it couldn't work with a cacheing system and no install like Uncharted does.
  • matrim83 10 Nov 2011 06:51:15 5,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does this game ever get out of the Modern warfare battlefield? I am a few hours in and absolutely sick to death of trudging through the war-zone. Much preferred the isolated calm stealth of the previous games.

If the whole game takes place in this setting, I might as well move on to something else.

Valar morghulis.

• King_Edward 10 Nov 2011 07:42:39 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Each Act is set in a different location.
  • ilmaestro 10 Nov 2011 07:59:09 32,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The start of this thread is pretty amusing, Deleted Gremmi and all.

Watching a bit of the early trailers again makes me want to replay the game. No time to be replaying games. :-/

• Widge Moderator 10 Nov 2011 08:02:56 13,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid 4 needs it's technical problems fixed far more urgently than some silly trophies anyway.

It's the only PS3 game with an awkward multiple install system that breaks up game play. Which leads me to believe that developers who had some idea what they were doing could at least improve it, if not eliminate the install entirely. It's a sub-HD game with not particularly large areas, there's no reason it couldn't work with a cacheing system and no install like Uncharted does.
    I actually agree with you. It runs at 20fps or something apparently. There are some games I wish had come later in the generation once the devs had got to grips with the technology better. This one, GTA4.

Not so fussed with the install thing as its not something to get upset about. The online system and tech issues are though.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• King_Edward 10 Nov 2011 08:14:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The install was a major pain in the arse on repeat playthroughs. Can't say I ever noticed the frame-rate; it's not exactly a twitch shooter.
  • MadCaddy13 10 Nov 2011 08:27:26 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This thread is encouraging me to give it a third playthrough - bought it on release day and it's almost the only title I would never part with coz I know I'd play it again
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Nov 2011 09:00:22 37,374 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I never completed my first play through. Got up to the bit where you board Liquid's big-arse battleship and never went back because I simply can't be bothered with the cut-scenes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• King_Edward 10 Nov 2011 09:07:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    5 playthroughs for me. Never skip the cutscenes either. :)
  • ilmaestro 10 Nov 2011 09:23:18 32,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    because I simply can't be bothered with the cut-scenes.
    Whoops! How did those sneak into an MGS game?! :p

Edited by ilmaestro at 09:23:30 10-11-2011

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2011 09:28:39 58,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How did you make it all the way through to the final level? Shirley it is worth the final push just to get a payoff?

Although, yeah, it is heavier on the cit scenes than the previous levels, which is saying something. The bits you could play were among the best in the game, though.

Also; MEEEEEEEEEEEEERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLLL

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sirtacos 10 Nov 2011 09:35:05 7,268 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember coming home from my shitty job, sparking up a fatty and playing this. There are few games bar none that I've enjoyed more.
  • ilmaestro 10 Nov 2011 11:37:57 32,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't want to give my own opinion on your sanity one way or the other, but by your own admission you haven't yet learned to count past double digits, and you seem to have spent at least a fair stretch in hospital, so I'd give it some thought. :p

• figgis 10 Nov 2011 13:36:40 7,383 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gotyourmoney wrote:
    I am probably a bit insane

I also sometimes just watch the cutscenes, I have them downloaded.
    That's more than a bit insane.
  • Climhazzard 12 Feb 2012 16:51:30 75 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    because I simply can't be bothered with the cut-scenes.
    Whoops! How did those sneak into an MGS game?! :p
    Hahaha yeah I'd also be shocked to see those!

www.youtube.com/failgoodinc for 'Let's Play' videos and commentaries. Please subscribe.

• Deleted user 13 May 2012 02:19:34
    Old thread, but I've recently been playing the MGS games in order since grabbing the HD collection and MY GOD, the game still look absolutely stunning. I hadn't touched it in over two years and expected a bit of a drag back down to earth after how jaw dropping it looked back in 2008. But no, the visuals, the animation, the thumping surround sound - it's still fucking amazing.

Although after going through the butt-quenching stealth of MGS3 on extreme difficulty, MGS4 just feels a little too easy. There's too many easy routes through missions thanks to the militia distracting the enemy, and the new targeting system just makes it far too easy to take down enemies in your path. In fact, I'd say the only real improvements it has over MGS3 are the controls and the auto-camouflage system.

Still, in terms of a current gen stealth game it's still the best around. I know it's never going to happen now, but I'd love it if they patched trophies into the game. There's plenty of ways the Konami team could get creative.

Edited by sfp_noodle at 02:21:20 13-05-2012
  • Page

of 173 First / Last