Slitherlink

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • JuanKerr 10 May 2007 15:27:04 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apologies if there is an existing thread for this, by the way.

Firstly, just wanted to express my absolute, undiluted love for this game.

Secondly, want to check that I am actually playing from the start - on the first screen, there's two lines of Japanese writing, so I choose the first one. Then, I choose the top left box on the next page, followed by the top box of three, then finally, the top box of four. Please tell me this is correct.
  • TriodeBliss 10 May 2007 15:31:09 724 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Secondly, want to check that I am actually playing from the start - on the first screen, there's two lines of Japanese writing, so I choose the first one. Then, I choose the top left box on the next page, followed by the top box of three, then finally, the top box of four. Please tell me this is correct.

Sounds right to me. The first group is a set of twenty puzzles.
  • repairmanjack 10 May 2007 15:32:43 5,998 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any news on a Euro release?
  • d0bbo 10 May 2007 15:35:10 688 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Any news on a Euro release?

You can get it from play-asia for about 15. Get the Japanese version, it's all part of the fun!
  • d0bbo 10 May 2007 15:35:11 688 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted at 15:35:27 10-05-2007
  • JuanKerr 10 May 2007 15:46:14 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TriodeBliss wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Sounds right to me. The first group is a set of twenty puzzles.

Cheers. Sounds like I'm doing the right ones. Nice one.
  • JuanKerr 10 May 2007 15:47:25 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slurpy J wrote:
    Ordered my copy about 5 days ago.. still waiting for it to despatch :(

Did you order it from play-asia? It took them over a week to despatch mine and then about 5 days for it to finally arrive. My advice is to enjoy your life while you haven't got it - once it is in your DS, your life will end.

Edited by JuanKerr at 15:47:49 10-05-2007
  • neilka 10 May 2007 15:50:40 15,831 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    After every 5 or so puzzles a box pops up full of moon language and a number next to a square, as if I've unlocked something. What that mean?
  • JetSetWilly 10 May 2007 15:52:59 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ^^^ Yeah, I wondered that too. I can't escape the feeling that I'm missing out on stuff in the game because of the moon language. I think I once stumbled across a save game state feature so you don't have to leave the DS on sleep. But as I couldn't be sure I chickened out. Great game though.

Edited by JetSetWilly at 15:53:45 10-05-2007
  • JuanKerr 10 May 2007 15:53:24 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    After every 5 or so puzzles a box pops up full of moon language and a number next to a square, as if I've unlocked something. What that mean?

Really? I've done about 10 puzzles so far and I don't recall seeing that ...
  • TriodeBliss 10 May 2007 15:54:26 724 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Slurpy J wrote:

Did you order it from play-asia? It took them over a week to despatch mine and then about 5 days for it to finally arrive. My advice is to enjoy your life while you haven't got it - once it is in your DS, your life will end.

Ne'er a truer word spoken.

I've just weaned myself off it after completing all the puzzles (still can't get full marks though on some of the last set).
  • solipsist 10 May 2007 15:57:46 124 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You get stars for completing puzzles quickly, everytime you get 20 you unlock a new line of puzzles.

Well I think thats what happens any way.
  • TriodeBliss 10 May 2007 16:04:27 724 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilka wrote:

It's points to use in the challenge mode, which you can access by touching the icon to the left on the main menu screen. There's a partial explanation of it here.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2007 17:58:14
    TriodeBliss wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Slurpy J wrote:

Ne'er a truer word spoken.

I've just weaned myself off it after completing all the puzzles (still can't get full marks though on some of the last set).
    S'funny you should say that, I've got it and I've played it once, got a game going, struggled to understand what the fuck was going on, didn't enjoy randomly poking the buttons trying to work out what they did and turned it off.
  • haveasafeday 10 May 2007 22:55:02 360 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This game is so addictive. I've stopped playing every other game I have and I only play this now
  • Deleted user 10 May 2007 23:56:44
    Right that's it. I'm a fan of puzzle games now and then but this one is going to have to be explained to me LIKE IT WOULD BE IN A MANUAL in order for me to get it.

Or is everyone wanking over it because it's in Japanese and it makes them feel special? Seriously, I don't get off on wondering if I'm missing some vital gameplay feature the whole time I'm struggling to work something out. There must be something on the net that explains the complete mechanics and features.

Anyone?
  • JetSetWilly 11 May 2007 07:55:17 5,721 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen, I've not used anything beyond the EG review for navigating the game. Plenty of useful game tips here

At first I found it as impenetrable as I first found Sudoku and also felt this was compounded by the moon language. But if you stick with it the puzzle solving is very rewarding.
  • kincaide 11 May 2007 08:58:22 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm thinking of getting Picross today - how does this compare?
  • kinggid 11 May 2007 09:03:26 303 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Right that's it. I'm a fan of puzzle games now and then but this one is going to have to be explained to me LIKE IT WOULD BE IN A MANUAL in order for me to get it.

Or is everyone wanking over it because it's in Japanese and it makes them feel special? Seriously, I don't get off on wondering if I'm missing some vital gameplay feature the whole time I'm struggling to work something out.

Anyone?

I'm with you. Played this for a short while before just finding it annoying that I didn't have a clue what was going on or what I was achieving. I'm sure it's great but I'll be waiting for an english language release.

Looking forward to Picross.
  • WinstonChurchill 11 May 2007 10:21:22 137 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoy it but I'm more addicted to other games.

It's a nice "I've got 10 minutes spare" game for me.
  • Deleted user 11 May 2007 10:25:45
    JetSetWilly wrote:
    Owen, I've not used anything beyond the EG review for navigating the game. Plenty of useful game tips here

At first I found it as impenetrable as I first found Sudoku and also felt this was compounded by the moon language. But if you stick with it the puzzle solving is very rewarding.
    Cheers for the encouragement, but I still feel like I'm missing a lot of the gameplay by having to get through the impenetrable language barrier. :(
  • DrCongo 11 May 2007 10:56:21 912 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Cheers for the encouragement, but I still feel like I'm missing a lot of the gameplay by having to get through the impenetrable language barrier. :(
    I really thought reading the EG review was more than enough to understand the basics of the game and get going. And I don't understand any Japanese. Owen, sonds like you've just made up your mind to give up on the game... DON'T! :)

Did the first set of 20 6x6 puzzles first, then went on to the 10x10 ones, did maybe 10 of them, then back to the 6x6 ones to three-star them all, then back to the 10x10 ones... completely and utterly hooked, am I :)
  • [maven] 15 May 2007 13:42:35 5,152 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm at about level 25 on the third difficulty. Great game this, but I would quite like instructions on how to save a level in progress; I once managed that by accident but couldn't figure out which button got me there... ;)
  • solipsist 15 May 2007 13:55:36 124 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To save you press: Start, Y, A.

To restart the saved game a new option appears in the main menu.
  • JuanKerr 15 May 2007 14:01:15 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrCongo wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    I really thought reading the EG review was more than enough to understand the basics of the game and get going. And I don't understand any Japanese. Owen, sonds like you've just made up your mind to give up on the game... DON'T! :)

Did the first set of 20 6x6 puzzles first, then went on to the 10x10 ones, did maybe 10 of them, then back to the 6x6 ones to three-star them all, then back to the 10x10 ones... completely and utterly hooked, am I :)

+1

All you need to know is how to get a game going and you're set. I really can't see what the problem is.

And anyone who doesn't think this game is very good is wrong, simple as that.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2007 14:20:30
    JuanKerr wrote:
    DrCongo wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:

+1

All you need to know is how to get a game going and you're set. I really can't see what the problem is.

And anyone who doesn't think this game is very good is wrong, simple as that.
    I'll reserve judgement for an English version. And you do need to know a bit more than which buttons to hit to get a game going - how the bonuses and the buttons at the bottom work, for one thing.

I've only given up because I don't like feeling like I'm missing out on a lot of the game mechanics. You don't get that feeling with Ouendan. Plenty other games in English to play in the meantime :)

Edited by Owen-B at 14:21:55 15-05-2007
  • d0bbo 15 May 2007 14:29:15 688 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's just a puzzle game, do you really need to know what acheivements you've made? As long as there's a big supply of puzzles I don't see what the problem is. I mean, it isn't the type of game that's there to be explored.
  • JuanKerr 15 May 2007 14:37:29 36,238 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    d0bbo wrote:
    It's just a puzzle game, do you really need to know what acheivements you've made? As long as there's a big supply of puzzles I don't see what the problem is. I mean, it isn't the type of game that's there to be explored.

Exactly. To be honest, I've only completed 34 puzzles so far and it has already justified the 17 I paid for it, easily.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous