Good holiday spot in Scotland? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • glo 8 Jun 2010 12:41:12 3,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah it's a great place. I had hoped to go back there this year but it doens't look likely now due to unforeseen expenses and stuff. will definitely go back there next year assuming I still have a job (redundancy is likely and looming)

@JuanKerr - any places on skye you might recommend that I might have missed on my first trip?
  • mrpon 8 Jun 2010 12:44:59 28,940 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How was Oban JK when you popped in to see struggling cinema owner Goban? ;)

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• tincanrocket 8 Jun 2010 12:47:05 3,010 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    snick wrote:
    Edinburgh has a working international airport from where you can try excursions to pleasant places such as Italy or Spain.

:D

(Have to say that I agree with the above post)
  • JuanKerr 8 Jun 2010 12:54:24 36,263 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @glo

We took a boat tour from Elgol to Loch Coruisk which is absolutely beautiful and you get to go past a seal colony.

The Sleat Peninsula (where we stayed) is great for walks and is a bit less rugged than the rest of the Island.

The whole island is fantastic really :)
  • glo 8 Jun 2010 13:04:23 3,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    that boat journey to loch coruisk is something I definitely plan to do next time, wasn't running last time I was there as it was too early in the season. my sister's wedding was held down in sleat and it is very nice.

I like a bit of hill walking myself so plan to give the (easier) cuillins a try next time and probably take the ferry over the lewis and harris as they looked beautiful on that tv programme with that monty bloke that was on recently.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 13:04:26 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Thanks for the multiple mentions, he didn't come to visit :'(

Don't blame him really Oban is a little out of his way.
  • phAge 8 Jun 2010 13:06:11 24,371 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hear Glasgow is quite nice this time of year.
  • SpaceDave3000 8 Jun 2010 13:06:48 78,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread title is all sorts of gibberish.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• JuanKerr 8 Jun 2010 13:20:29 36,263 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Thanks for the multiple mentions, he didn't come to visit :'(

Don't blame him really Oban is a little out of his way.

I really wanted to go to Oban actually, but we were with my girlfriend's parents and it was a bit tricky. Next time we head up there, we'll definitely stop by :)
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 13:34:40 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We can offer you the best seafood in Scotland, some reasonable ales, a great crinkly coastline(gateway to the Isles and all that) and of course lets not forget the cinema.

Come visit soon before I go bankrupt :)
  • JuanKerr 8 Jun 2010 13:47:05 36,263 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oban does look like a nice place. We'll be visiting again soon I imagine, can't believe it's taken me this long to discover it.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 13:58:58 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One recommendation I always make is:

Go up the west Highland train line to Fort William then Mallaig, reckoned to be one of the most scenic in the world.
    Then get a boat to Knoydart, a fantastic spot you can only get to by sea. Wonderful place for walking, camping or just getting away from the rat race. Also happens to have to most isolated pub in mainland Britain, some good ales on tap last time I was there.

• Deleted user 8 June 2010 14:00:42
    I was going to cycle the Knoydart peninsula but apparently it's not possible.

I recommend Glen Affric and Glen Lyon.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 14:10:22 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've walked it, if your pretty hardcore you could cycle it.
  • Nexus_6 8 Jun 2010 14:13:34 3,878 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This thread title is all sorts of gibberish.

LOL
  • Deleted user 8 June 2010 14:14:56
    Goban wrote:

I'm hardcore but my bike isn't :)

I'll probably just go island hopping instead and walk the Knoydart sometime.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 14:17:27 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It really is a fantastic walk, did it first when I was a kid. Took a tent, camped and eat seafood which we caught/collected ourselves.

Happy memories.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jun 2010 14:18:16 18,329 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    One recommendation I always make is:

Go up the west Highland train line to Fort William then Mallaig, reckoned to be one of the most scenic in the world.
    Then get a boat to Knoydart, a fantastic spot you can only get to by sea. Wonderful place for walking, camping or just getting away from the rat race. Also happens to have to most isolated pub in mainland Britain, some good ales on tap last time I was there.

\o/

There are some lovely white-sand beaches on the way to Mallaig too. It's also very worthwhile getting a trip out to the Isles - Eigg and the other two I can't remember. I'm sure there's another thread with all the same info in it. Stopping off at Loch Fyne on the way up from Glasgow is another worthwhile thing to do.

I also recommend going in late summer, when the midges have finished biting, and the Scottish schoolkids are back at school, meaning much less road-traffic.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jun 2010 14:19:33 18,329 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    Goban wrote:

I'm hardcore but my bike isn't :)

I'll probably just go island hopping instead and walk the Knoydart sometime.
    What's the peninsula to the south of the Mallaig-Ft.William road? That's a good one for cycling.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 14:21:52 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    There are some lovely white-sand beaches on the way to Mallaig too. It's also very worthwhile getting a trip out to the Isles - Eigg and the other two I can't remember. I'm sure there's another thread with all the same info in it. Stopping off at Loch Fyne on the way up from Glasgow is another worthwhile thing to do.

I also recommend going in late summer, when the midges have finished biting, and the Scottish schoolkids are back at school, meaning much less road-traffic.

Good calls.

I got married on the most famous white sand beach at Morar.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 14:23:04 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    What's the peninsula to the south of the Mallaig-Ft.William road? That's a good one for cycling.
    Ardnamuchan? If so yes, another fantastic area.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jun 2010 14:33:39 18,329 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the one.
  • JuanKerr 8 Jun 2010 14:37:42 36,263 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, the midges were pretty much non-existent last week. Not sure if it was because of the late Spring, but hardly saw any. Did get bitten to shit on the last evening mind, although that was because I was outside playing cricket with shorts on.

My legs look like I've got plague or something.
  • morriss 8 Jun 2010 14:39:39 71,003 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My brother lives in Dundee. Don't go there. It's a shithole.
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2010 14:40:17 15,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pinkds wrote:
    Applecross was featured on a TV programme a while back with some guy who stayed on an island and was trying to be self sufficient. It looked really nice.

Monty Halls. He's a marine biologist. Fairly well known in diving circles.
    It was a great programme imo. I'd love to head up to Applecross sometimes as it looked beautiful.
    Been to Scotland many times and have family in Kilmarnock, but never been out towards the Isles.

One place I could recommend as a nice visit is Culzean Castle in Ayrshire. Georgian age house/castle on the coast with big country park around it. Lovely to wander around the woods and beaches, with nice views across to Arran.
  • Goban 8 Jun 2010 15:09:15 9,055 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Oh, the midges were pretty much non-existent last week. Not sure if it was because of the late Spring, but hardly saw any. Did get bitten to shit on the last evening mind, although that was because I was outside playing cricket with shorts on.

Midges a bit slow this year, you were lucky.

I'm camping in glencoe in a couple of weekends, I can almost feel the little bastards biting already.
  • Alastair 8 Jun 2010 15:19:54 15,802 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Keep your eyes peeled for butterworts - native carnivorous plants. They rock imo.
  • JuanKerr 8 Jun 2010 15:42:58 36,263 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Midges a bit slow this year, you were lucky.

I'm camping in glencoe in a couple of weekends, I can almost feel the little bastards biting already.

Yeah, we were very lucky really. A lot of the walks we did were coastal, so there was a strong breeze which kept the little buggers at bay.

Camping in Glencoe? That sounds superb - we were saying that we wanted to camp there on the drive home. Got any campsites you can recommend?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next