Good holiday spot in Scotland?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 May 2007 11:37:46 35,798 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am looking for a good spot to spend the holidays in Scotland, meaning a location from which it's possible to see lots of things - we especially want to do some hiking, but only day trips, really.

Ideally, it's one spot where we can stay for two weeks and use it as a starting point, as I am not too keen on "moving" during my holidays.

Cheers!
  • Surferrosa 6 May 2007 12:12:30 466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dornoch/ Tain area on the East coast; Lochinver area on the West (the North West of Scotland is achingly beautiful, but harder to negotiate than the East).

http://www.assynt.info/page4.html
    http://www.visitdornoch.com/

Edited by surfer rosa at 12:13:40 06-05-2007
  • Inquisitor Moderator 6 May 2007 12:19:16 14,558 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My relatives own a chalet spot in scotland.

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Scotland/holiday-cottage-Argyll--Stirling/p60308.htm?uni_id=34941

Beautiful, beautiful area, though its a bit remote. Only an hour or so away from a few famous spots though.
  • urban 6 May 2007 12:25:10 11,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shame, if you liked night life i was going to suggest thurso...
  • Surferrosa 6 May 2007 12:48:28 466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:

Har! ;)
  • Fluke 6 May 2007 13:03:54 53 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of our population live in the Central Belt; Glasgow is our largest city and Edinburgh is our (more beautiful imo) capital.

Inverness bills itself as the capital of the higlands and acts as a base for day trips and sight seeing, including Loch Ness.

Inverness: http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/inverness.htm

Scottish Tourist Board : http://www.visitscotland.com/
  • urban 6 May 2007 13:59:31 11,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glasgow in my opinion is a better city than bloody edinburgh, no chinese tourist and not nearly as disgustingly touristy
  • Pike 6 May 2007 14:07:59 13,447 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fluke wrote:
    Edinburgh is our (more beautiful imo)

Is the IMO really necessary? I think Edingburgh being a more beautiful city than Glasgow is pretty much an objective fact.

UnclLou, it's been a few years since I've been to Scotland, but from what I remember the Highlands was the part I liked the most. Some really nice scenic coastlines they have there.

The food on the other hand...

They do really like chips with pretty much any dish there.

Edited by Pike at 14:08:46 06-05-2007
  • NthSimulachum 6 May 2007 15:38:05 785 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunkeld is very nice. Beautiful surroundings, not too far from some other scenic areas. Got some good walks, hiking areas. The Hermitage (bunch of follies, record breaking trees etc.) is quite nice too.

If you want beauty go to Edinburgh. Exciting nightlife, go to Glasgow.

Edited by NthSimulachum at 15:39:39 06-05-2007
  • Nasty 6 May 2007 18:39:43 4,749 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anywhere in and around the Glasgow area is probably good as a base to get around from. You're only really an hour from anywhere on the train and if you hire a car and head up north your only a couple of hours drive from some serious munro bagging.
  • Surferrosa 6 May 2007 18:54:02 466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Fluke wrote:
    Edinburgh is our (more beautiful imo)

Is the IMO really necessary? I think Edingburgh being a more beautiful city than Glasgow is pretty much an objective fact.

UnclLou, it's been a few years since I've been to Scotland, but from what I remember the Highlands was the part I liked the most. Some really nice scenic coastlines they have there.

The food on the other hand...

They do really like chips with pretty much any dish there.

Edited by Pike at 14:08:46 06-05-2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - so yes, the imo is 'really necessary'. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 May 2007 08:19:09 35,798 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers all, so far! :)
  • PiD 7 May 2007 08:28:21 3,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can highly recommend pretty much anywhere in the highlands heh.

Aviemore is a stunning area to stay around, theres a couple of chalet places up there with utterly amazing views.

Loads of great hiking routes, around the cairngorms, round the lochs, there are loads through the estates and round the area. I do alot of walking when im home. Bonus of only being like half an hour away from inverness and bout 90 mins from glasgow.

Inverness area is another fantastic place, loads to see all round really.
  • corimi 7 May 2007 08:34:02 1,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure what other areas are like, but if you're staying on the west coast, bring SHITLOADS of industrial strength insect repellent. Midges are awful, it can actually feel like you're walking through static.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge
  • macksed 7 May 2007 09:05:31 3,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the airport
  • PiD 7 May 2007 09:33:39 3,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    It's about 2 an a half hours from Aviemore to Glasgow, it's 140 miles! And that's only if you don't get stuck behind a horse and cart on the A9.

XD I couldve sworn I did it in 90..

Maybe it was closer to 2..
  • bainbrge 7 May 2007 10:54:46 1,687 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:

I spent Xmas and NYE there when I was about 10 years old. I remember really enjoying it actually.
  • SmoothMartin 7 May 2007 11:03:23 859 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want a base to do some good day walks, and still be able to get to other locations nearby I suggest using the area around Loch Torridon as a base.

It's fairly high up on the West coast but well worth it. As long as you have a car you can get to other great parts of Wester Ross as wel,l such as Applecross, Sheidaig, and Gairloch.

We used the Youth Hostel at Torridon as our base for a week, but if you're feeling flush you could always stay here
  • pinkds 18 Nov 2009 09:22:17 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thread bumped: Advice needed :) Driving to highlands in ten days - what's the weather/roads usually like this time of year? Staying near Lochcarron - any good places to see?
  • dufftownallan 18 Nov 2009 09:26:25 4,725 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    roads? where youre going they dont have... roads.
    i would tell you to brace yourself, its probably not as backwards as everyone thinks but the roads arent all that great either. and at this time of year its probably most likely to be windy and rainy than anything else, but thats not to say you wont get unlucky and encounter a hail storm or something...
    have fun!!!
  • mrpon 18 Nov 2009 09:36:47 29,427 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gobans cinema?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• JuanKerr 18 Nov 2009 09:38:44 36,423 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    But seriously. Take a raincoat and a 4WD.

Check and check.
  • Spanky 18 Nov 2009 09:38:58 14,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    But seriously. Take a raincoat and a 4WD.
    And wellies. You won't get midgies this time of year though, cunts are dead.

I'd recommend Glasgow as a base and head over to loch lomond + crianlarich + stirling + balmaha etc in the car in day excursions.

Plubs

• pinkds 18 Nov 2009 09:40:40 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How long does it take to drive from Glasgow to Isle of Skye? It's hard to tell from google maps and I can't say I actually trust it from previous experiences.
  • Spanky 18 Nov 2009 09:42:15 14,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably the same amount of time as a london to glasgow drive. That's a bit of a trek up the wrong type of roads.

Plubs

• montywithnail 18 Nov 2009 09:45:59 430 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloodkult wrote:
    You want Stirling. It's right in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh and also right in the midle of the countryside.

We're a bit 'hills have eyes' here though, so there's a 64% chance you'll get bummed and/or sold into slavery.

the first bit of this, we've stayed heretwice. and loved it. Visited edingbrough and glasgow (both about an hour by car) and Stirlign has it's own interesting bits with the mel gibson monument etc.

EDIT: feck should look at the date and read to the end - nothing to see here
  • pinkds 18 Nov 2009 09:49:37 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone know of any really cool places to visit by car for the day in the Lochcarron/Isle of sky area - i.e castles/cool mountain roads/ nice villages etc.... I really know nothing about the area as it's only my second time in Scotland so any ideas would be great :)
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous