Arctic 'over-rated' Monkeys

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • jfb 1 May 2007 10:00:17 3 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it just me or are the young lads from Sheffield over-rated?I downloaded their latest and greatest and was somewhat disappointed.
    Now The Maccabees on the other hand...
  • DocX 1 May 2007 10:01:50 1,963 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think everybody got a bit sick of them, but I like the new one.
  • Fat-Boy 1 May 2007 10:02:44 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think people just think too much of them. They're a great band, I enjoy listening to them, but they're not the most important band of the decade, or geniuses, or changing the shape of guitar music in this country, or any of the other bollocks the broadsheet press would have you believe.

They're just a good band with good tunes. People just think they're more than what they are.
  • Tricky 1 May 2007 10:03:48 4,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, good band with good tunes is about as much enthusiasm as I can muster for them to be honest. They're not crap, but they're definitely not the second coming, like so many people (especially the press) make them out to be.
  • Pirotic Moderator 1 May 2007 10:04:13 20,648 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They are ok, but I think everybody was so bored of commericial music that people were willing to give full praise to a only half decent original group.

They are ok. It's was also extremely unfair to slap so much praise on them - they are only young! they must have been scared to death while making the second album.
  • Deleted user 1 May 2007 10:04:23
    It's the problem with releasing all your stuff on the internet. Everyone hears everyting you;ve ever done all the fucking time.

I loved them at first but then BANG complete overload.
  • warlockuk 1 May 2007 10:06:19 19,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's worse is that most of the indie bands in Sheffield want to be the Arctic Monkeys - the building we practice in is full of 'em.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• deem 1 May 2007 10:07:41 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 10:09:59 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never really understood what was so good about them, it seems every month there's some new guitar band with that "I just got out of bed, no really I did, a stylist hasn't been near it" messy student hair, who all sound vaguely similar. The advert for their cd always has a quote from NME or some such claiming "THE MOST IMPORTANT BAND OF THE LAST 10 YEARS" "IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE ALBUM THIS MILLENIUM, MAKE IT THIS ONE" etc. Then as soon as they've had a bit of success, they piss off back to obscurity and are replaced with the" next big thing".

/feels old
  • deem 1 May 2007 10:15:39 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MrWonderstuff 1 May 2007 10:17:00 1,954 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's the NME though. Of all the music papers they are the ones who push new bands the hardest with sound bites and cover features on a weekly basis (whether they are good or not so it seems). I still buy it (even though I'm in my late 30s) but its starting to be a bit like a comic with day glow colours (or is that my age)?
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 10:21:20 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deem wrote:
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Then as soon as they've had a bit of success, they piss off back to obscurity and are replaced with the" next big thing".

/feels old

To be fair, you do need time off when you are being pushed like they were - they do need to write and record material!

They are back now, with 18 singles in the Chart at the same time.

Hardly obscure!

Yeah dont get me wrong, i'm not down on them specifically, I really havn't taken the time to listen to much of their material so I cant judge em too harshly, but its like every 5 minutes its Franz Ferdinand this, Razorlight that, Arctic Monkeys this, and I just remain completely unmoved by any of their music. I dunno, as far as i'm concerned guitar music in general has been dying for the last 5 or 6 years, but then every generation probably says that ;)

/sticks on some pumpkins

Edited by TwistidChimp at 10:22:23 01-05-2007
  • joeking 1 May 2007 10:29:09 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I completely agree with most of the views in this thread. I like their second album. I think it's much better than their first, which was rubbish imo, saved only by the brilliant 'A Certain Romance'. And while half of the songs on 'Favourite...' don't grab me at all, the other half are pretty good, so I'm calling it evens.

The reason for their over-hyped existence is two-fold:

1) Web two point fucking zero. The MySpace Generation. And all that other marketing new age nonsense. Now, I'm only 21, so far from an oldie, but even I find these buzzwords annoying. Well, only when they're overused, like they have been with the AM's

2) The British music press (led by the tub-thumping, ever jingoistic NME and Radio One) have been scrabbling around for a pin-up ever since the heady days of 'Madchester', Britpop [sic], big beat and dance music went belly-up in the 90's.

Nowadays it's all hip hop and R&B, which is a predominantly American thing. Our own garage/grime/whatever sound hasn't really taken off (with the sole exception of The Streets really), so it's left NME with a hole to fill these last few years.

They tried it with The Libertines, but we all know what happened there. Kasabian never really lived up to their so-called promise. Hard-Fi? Lol! And so on. The Arctic Monkeys are simply the next off a long conveyor belt line of claimants to the throne.

And why not? Harsh, windswept regional Northern accents. Heavy use of British slang and ism's. Talk about everyday life (indeed, they say that Alex Turner's writing is heavily influenced by The Street's Mike Skinner). "Wait a minute...ZOMG...they sound just like Oasis! ZOMG, teh n2w 0@s1s lol!!1!!!"

And that, in a nutshell, is why the Arctic Monkeys are 'the biggest and bestest and most importantest band in the whole wide world right now' or some other such bollocks. According to NME and Radio One anyway...

Out of their two albums, I can safely say that I find about a quarter of their songs any cop. The rest, middling, heard-it-all-before and generic, just like TwistidChimp said, and nowhere near as good as Oasis' first two masterpiece's, in this humble posters opinion.

I wonder who the next floppy-haired British band will be, when people invariably get bored of our resident Monkeys...

Edited by joeking at 10:33:04 01-05-2007
  • Killerbee 1 May 2007 10:30:19 5,016 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've not heard the new album (apart from the lead single) but their first one was quite good. Not as earth-shatteringly, unbelievably brilliant as some quaters of the press and the Mercury Music Prize people would have us believe (it was never the best album of 2006), but still worth a listen.

The problem they've got is people either absolutely love them or really hate them (usually just for being so popular), whereas really they're firmly in the "about as good as Halo", 8/10 category. imho.
  • deem 1 May 2007 10:32:53 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • joeking 1 May 2007 10:36:01 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I struggle to care for your opinions deem, when I am all too aware that they are laced with your contempt for me, personally. Back under your bridge!

Oh, and try to write a 'comeback' without the illiberal use of foul language, okay? Can you do that? There's a good lad.
  • Murbs 1 May 2007 10:36:02 22,522 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Their first track sounded quite refreshing; unfortunately everything else since sounds like The Arctic Monkeys... For me, there's just not enough variety in their sound. They're not the only band guilty of this, but they're the ones up for discussion ;-)
  • Deleted user 1 May 2007 10:37:33
    Then I'll say it as well: (though I probably wouldn't curse so much)

For someone that doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, you can't half write long posts.

Why the fuck have you mentioned Oasis in a thread about the Arctic Monkeys?

Plus, you're writing style is disgusting, cringe-able and PAINFUL to read.

Shorter = better

Edited by disussedgenius at 10:40:54 01-05-2007
  • ThreeOutsideDown 1 May 2007 10:38:49 1,011 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    I never really understood what was so good about them, it seems every month there's some new guitar band with that "I just got out of bed, no really I did, a stylist hasn't been near it" messy student hair, who all sound vaguely similar. The advert for their cd always has a quote from NME or some such claiming "THE MOST IMPORTANT BAND OF THE LAST 10 YEARS" "IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE ALBUM THIS MILLENIUM, MAKE IT THIS ONE" etc. Then as soon as they've had a bit of success, they piss off back to obscurity and are replaced with the" next big thing".

/feels old

^ agrees ^
  • deem 1 May 2007 10:39:59 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • joeking 1 May 2007 10:42:01 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Don't 'lad' me you pathetic little virgin.
    Hey, you did it! \o/

Fairplay man. Didn't think you could pull it off. Here, have a cookie.
  • Spanky 1 May 2007 10:42:58 14,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oasis are derivative shit, it's not my problem if you lot can't see it. I don't even know these Arctic Monkeys but they're obviously infinitely better than fuckin Oasis. Even Lush kick there arse(my second most hated bad ever).

Plubs

• deem 1 May 2007 10:43:36 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Fat-Boy 1 May 2007 10:46:11 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Oasis are derivative shit, it's not my problem if you lot can't see it. I don't even know these Arctic Monkeys but they're obviously infinitely better than fuckin Oasis. Even Lush kick there arse(my second most hated bad ever).

You were either too old to care or too young to notice in the mid nineties. Either way, this means that your opinion counts for nothing.

;)
  • FairgroundTown 1 May 2007 10:47:17 2,522 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I listened to the new single, and just found it... tuneless. I mean, basically it is a weak bass riff, and someone shouting over the top. Maybe it sounds better if you're on "E"???

/ Wonders if kids still do "E"
  • Spanky 1 May 2007 10:47:57 14,584 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm hitting 32 kiddo, i was there. Oasis and your love for them killed the entire scene, you and tony blair! A war crime i tells you.

Twas Miki or sommat wasn't it deem, i just keep thinking of that ginger wierdo from eastenders... :T

Plubs

• joeking 1 May 2007 10:53:34 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or get an iPod.

/plays 'Brainstorm'
    /taps toes

Edited by joeking at 10:54:01 01-05-2007
  • TwistidChimp 1 May 2007 10:53:48 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    I listened to the new single, and just found it... tuneless. I mean, basically it is a weak bass riff, and someone shouting over the top. Maybe it sounds better if you're on "E"???

Exactly my feelings. I'm never quite sure if its because these bands are just creating tuneless shit, or that I simply, due to some gaping hole in my musical knowledge, can't apreciate their genius.
  • joeking 1 May 2007 10:56:40 1,808 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Que?
  • craigy Staff 1 May 2007 10:58:00 7,775 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think joeking summed it up quite nicely - I don't mind listening to the Arctic Monkeys, but they're not as important as the media would have us believe.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous