Metallica at Wembley

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Onny 1 May 2007 09:50:13 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just found out that they're being supported by Mastodon!

/makes massive happy face

.. and Bullet For My Vallentine and HIM, but you know, got to have time to go to the bar and eat and stuff.

\o/

(or should that be \m/ ?)
  • Razz 1 May 2007 09:52:14 59,986 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WOW! I'd love to go!

/looks a t ticket prices

:o

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Murbal 1 May 2007 09:54:40 21,544 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't seen Metallica for years. When was the black album released? It was around then iirc. MK bowl, supported by Megadeth amongst others.

edit: wtf are Mastodon?

Edited by Murbal at 09:57:04 01-05-2007
  • Onny 1 May 2007 09:55:05 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah they are pretty steep. But then, you are seeing one of the greatest live acts on the planet.

BATTERY!

BA - TTE - REY!!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 May 2007 09:57:06 36,271 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll be there. Already got my tickets (seated unfortunately though).

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Vroom 1 May 2007 09:57:13 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been to Metallica many many times over the years and I'd LOVE to go to this one.

I must say they are sliping slightly live in the last few years. Still one of the best live acts anywhere tho. :o)

Vroom

• Onny 1 May 2007 10:01:26 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vroom! wrote:
    I've been to Metallica many many times over the years and I'd LOVE to go to this one.

I must say they are sliping slightly live in the last few years. Still one of the best live acts anywhere tho. :o)
    Yes, and James has got a bit tubby. They are still MIGHTY TIGHT, though. And they like playing long sets.

Last summer I was dragged to see Foo Fighters at Hyde park, and even though the day was made slightly brighter by the presence of QOTSA, the "Foos" only played for about an hour or something. What a load of turd.

Murbal, Mastodon are a very decent Metal band. Very decent indeed. None of this whiny bollocks! \o/
  • warlockuk 1 May 2007 10:09:37 19,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ever since I saw Metallica twice 9 years ago I've not been bothered about seeing them again. Shame, really :(
    And if they're with BFMV and Him they can really piss off.
    *walks off stage 40 mins into a two-hour set*
    *waits for chanting*
    *comes back for 10 mins*
    *walks off*
    *comes back*
    No.More.Fake.Encores.

Edited by warlockuk at 10:10:44 01-05-2007

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 1 May 2007 10:17:05
    If they were doing the MoP set thing then I'd happily pay just to see them play Orion. Though I'd play double if they did AJFA, even if it was to see how badly Lars fucks it up! :)
  • wobbler147 1 May 2007 10:25:58 5,123 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Haven't seen Metallica for years. When was the black album released? It was around then iirc. MK bowl, supported by Megadeth amongst others.

I was also at the MK bowl show, what a day. Quality music, lots of beer and lovely ladies walking about.

those indeed were the days...........
  • Onny 1 May 2007 10:41:11 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Ever since I saw Metallica twice 9 years ago I've not been bothered about seeing them again. Shame, really :(
    And if they're with BFMV and Him they can really piss off.
    *walks off stage 40 mins into a two-hour set*
    *waits for chanting*
    *comes back for 10 mins*
    *walks off*
    *comes back*
    No.More.Fake.Encores.

Edited by warlockuk at 10:10:44 01-05-2007

Encores FTL. Especially when it's smaller bands. I tend to stand there with my arms crossed, receiving scowls from children while they clamour for more.

I ESPECIALLY hate it when a band leaves their most popular songs for the encore. As if they expect to come out. Feh!

/spits
  • FairgroundTown 1 May 2007 10:55:59 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw them around the time of And Justice For All, and I remember being terribly disappointed, because they sounded so much better on the record - it was the first time I'd seen a band who simply couldn't create the same quality live as on the record. James' voice simply wasn't strong enough to carry the tunes, and you can't do heavy guitars in an arena without the sound turning to mush - so while I know a lot of the fans don't care about that, because it is all about the "experience" and the "power", it just didn't do it for me.
  • warlockuk 1 May 2007 11:04:12 19,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Encores FTL. Especially when it's smaller bands. I tend to stand there with my arms crossed, receiving scowls from children while they clamour for more.

I ESPECIALLY hate it when a band leaves their most popular songs for the encore. As if they expect to come out. Feh!

/spits
    I hated it because you knew how long their set was going to be so leaving after literally 40 mins was just a stupid "shit, I'm going limp - quick! Suck it some more!" cry for attention.
    The playing was a bit shite, too tbh. And after hearing the more recent albums I swore never to bother again - even if they promised to not play anything post 1988 the fact is it's not 1988 anymore :)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• coastal 1 May 2007 11:09:13 5,372 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i saw them in Brum in the mid 90s. I think i was about 20 or so but looking around at the rest of the crowd i felt terribly old.

What was that film they did? That is a hoot to watch, especially as they only find a bond after they all hate the psychologist.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Red-Moose 1 May 2007 11:53:36 5,345 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Concert in DUblin last year was phenomenal. I think they played the whole of Master of Puppets, Whiskey in the Jar (hooray!), etc., . PLus that bloke from Alice in Chains was there.

Great show.
  • Vroom 1 May 2007 11:54:33 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    Concert in DUblin last year was phenomenal. I think they played the whole of Master of Puppets, Whiskey in the Jar (hooray!), etc., . PLus that bloke from Alice in Chains was there.

Great show.

Yip they played the whole album on all that tour. And they played Whiskey too :o)

Vroom

• AwesomeWells 1 May 2007 11:54:34 400 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was at that MK Bowl show...if I remember correctly James' opening words were something along the lines of 'F&ck yeah motherf$ckers.....CREEPING.......DEATH.'

And lo, there was much rocking out.

An excellent live outfit. Shame about the past...oh....4 albums or so.
  • Murbal 1 May 2007 11:54:52 21,544 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    PLus that bloke from Alice in Chains was there.

Not Layne Staley? That's taking things a little far...
  • Onny 1 May 2007 12:01:07 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AwesomeWells wrote:
    I was at that MK Bowl show...if I remember correctly James' opening words were something along the lines of 'F&ck yeah motherf$ckers.....CREEPING.......DEATH.'

And lo, there was much rocking out.

An excellent live outfit. Shame about the past...oh....4 albums or so.
    IMO Hetfield is the greatest frontman of any band currently living.

Fucking awesome.
  • beep 1 May 2007 12:57:21 434 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know James' singing style has changed for preservations sake, but hearing a recent live rendition of "The Thing That Should Not Be" was fucking painful.
  • StixxUK 8 Jul 2007 10:48:35 7,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're all old farts, but they have great tunes and they mostly play the old stuff as well.

It's going to be great.

Machine Head and Mastodon in support! Could the icing be any sweeter?

Only managed to get tickets on Friday as well, standing for face value off ebay :D:D:D
  • Deleted user 8 July 2007 10:57:14
    They were slightly embarassing at Live Earth though (with the exception of KH's Third Rock From The Sun cover). They've just gotten... old. :(
  • warlockuk 8 Jul 2007 10:59:30 19,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Face value? That's a pretty good score. Just hope Machine Head don't play the new album, it fucking sucks. Unless you like it. Then hope they do play it. :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• StixxUK 8 Jul 2007 11:54:10 7,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Machine head... new album... sucks?

Wrong :p

I do like it. It's just that the lyrics are bloody awful and each 9 minute song only has about 2 minutes of greatness in it.

Edit: and MH were absolutely stunning at Download.... Hoping for a similar setlist, with Old, Take My Scars, Davidian and Imperium.

Edited by StixxUK at 11:55:01 08-07-2007
  • Onny 9 Jul 2007 10:18:49 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My voice is fucked this morning.. but by Christ it was worth it. Brilliant concert, and a whole afternoon of fun. I was especially happy that the crowd seemed to hate HIM as much as I do. Hahaha.

\m/ \m/
  • warlockuk 9 Jul 2007 10:25:57 19,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Machine head... new album... sucks?

Wrong :p

I do like it. It's just that the lyrics are bloody awful and each 9 minute song only has about 2 minutes of greatness in it.

Edit: and MH were absolutely stunning at Download.... Hoping for a similar setlist, with Old, Take My Scars, Davidian and Imperium.
    Heh, you like it but there's only 2 mins out of every 9 mins worth listening to. That's why I hate it - you'll get some cool riffs and then suddenly it's wanky nu-metal-esque shite. You're sat there listening it going "ffs, Robb - you're better than that"

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• [menace] 9 Jul 2007 10:35:01 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best Machine Head record = Burn My Eyes.. (it was also the first of their records I ever listened to - coincidence?)
  • warlockuk 9 Jul 2007 10:44:47 19,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Burn my eyes makes the new one look like a _total_ piece of shit :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• brokenkey 9 Jul 2007 11:54:45 6,801 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    My voice is fucked this morning.. but by Christ it was worth it. Brilliant concert, and a whole afternoon of fun. I was especially happy that the crowd seemed to hate HIM as much as I do. Hahaha.

\m/ \m/

HIM being who? The drummer? Is this still off the back of Napster?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Onny 9 Jul 2007 12:00:45 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, "HIM" as in the really shit band.

HIM

I can accept that maybe they have fans (seemingly consisting of teenage girls), but to sandwich them between Machine Head and Metallica was asking for trouble, to be honest.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous