Convert NTFS USB Drive to FAT32

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • jaimie072 27 Apr 2007 17:41:21 153 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi guys, I have an NTFS USB drive and I want to convert it to FAT32 so the PS3 will recognise it. Now I'm pretty sure you need a 3rd party tool to do this, can anyone recommend one?
  • Deleted user 27 April 2007 17:43:20
    You can use a PC -

Plug the USB drive in

Right click on My Computer

Click on Manage

Go to Storage, then disk magangement

Right click on the drive you want to format and choose FAT32.

Edit:
    Actually, you might be able to open My Computer, right click on the USB drive and re-format from there. A bit simpler!

Edit Edit: Oops! meant FAT 32 obviously

Edited by disussedgenius at 17:45:39 27-04-2007
  • heyyo 27 Apr 2007 17:43:35 14,374 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jaimie072 wrote:
    Hi guys, I have an NTFS USB drive and I want to convert it to FAT32 so the PS3 will recognise it. Now I'm pretty sure you need a 3rd party tool to do this, can anyone recommend one? I don't mind formatting the drive either.
  • jaimie072 27 Apr 2007 17:46:31 153 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    You can us a PC -

Right click on My Computer

Click on Manage

Go to Storage, then disk magangement

Right click on the drive you want to format and choose FAT32.

Edit:
    Actually, you might be able to open My Computer, right click on the USB drive and re-format from there. A bit simpler!

Edit Edit: Oops! meant FAT 32 obviously

Edited by disussedgenius at 17:45:01 27-04-2007

If your PC is formatted with NTFS then you don't have this option and you can't you use the 'convert' DOS command either. I need the name of the tool as I know it's not possible within XP to do this.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2007 17:48:42
    Yeah, I read it as converting to NTFS from FAT 32 for some reason. Apologies!
  • TR421 27 Apr 2007 17:49:39 380 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll have to copy the data temporarilly to your hard disk, reformat the USB Drive as FAT32, then copy the data back.
    There's no way to convert like from FAT to NTFS.
  • Red-Moose 27 Apr 2007 18:11:06 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    XP won't let you format more than 32GB for FAT32 partitions, because Micrsoft are bastards.

If you can't copy the data elsewhere, use Partition Magic or Acronis Partition Expert. (I think it's called Expert) to convert it from NTFS to FAT32 without deleting/copying. I used Partition Magic (well worth the price IMHO) to do just this as a lot if not all USB drives are NTFS formatted out of the box. Now it is 200GB FAT32, all readable by PS3. It's very quick if it is already blank, but can take a few hours for the conversion if it's stacked up with video and music (mine was, around 50GB of MP3s and another 50 of video). It needs space to work in.

In any case, you asked for a recommendation and I can definitely recommend Partition Magic. The other one is 10 quid cheaper, but I have no experience of it.

If it doesn't matter, have a look for some free 98/ME era tools. Partitions can be large but of course there are two problems in general:
    a) Cluster size gets big - more of an issue in olden times with lots of small files. Big is like 256k.
    b) File sizes can't be greater than 4GB on FAT32 - not great if you are into movie editing. I keep a spare 100GB NTFS for video work, and move them over when ready for PS3.

Edited by Red Moose at 18:14:43 27-04-2007
  • Xephon1970 21 Jul 2010 08:57:11 28 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you Google for a site called www.compuapps.com and a programme called SwissKnife, that's what you need. I've formatted a 120gb and a 320gb HDD on my PC using this, it's very simple and easy to use.
  • Ron_Justice 21 Jul 2010 09:03:15 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I formatted a 1 TB drive to fat32 for this exact same purpose. After countless fuck ups and fucking around I decided to do it the via the most straight forward way known to man. Get hold of a copy of Ubuntu - Linux for normal people :p and use it's disk manager. You can make drives any size you like in which ever format you choose - Windowslol. IIRC, the 1TB format (totally clean BTW) took about an hour.

I researched, eventually found and tried to find a decent, free program to do it on a Vista machine and it was a fucking joke. Linux is by far the easiest and cheapest solution.

Ubuntu's free, super supported, looks the nuts and capable of running on virtually any machine, regardless of spec.

Steam/Origin - Ron_Justice
    PSN - hyper_808

• Ron_Justice 21 Jul 2010 09:06:59 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Xephon1970 wrote:
    If you Google for a site called www.compuapps.com and a programme called SwissKnife, that's what you need. I've formatted a 120gb and a 320gb HDD on my PC using this, it's very simple and easy to use.

Swissknife was the app I found and it comes highly recommended, but for whatever reason (it's over 18 months ago so I can't remember specifics) it just wouldn't do my 1TB drive. Ubuntu is fool proof and doesn't need a secondary app. The 'tool' is right there in the OS.

PSN - hyper_808

• uiruki 21 Jul 2010 09:19:07 3,663 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Swissknife didn't like Windows 7 x64 last time I tried to use it. The Windows drive management tool isn't bad, but the Ubuntu one is much better.
  • kosigan 21 Jul 2010 09:27:06 460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've used a program called - funnily enough - fat32format to do just this. You can find it at: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm
    There's a GUI version too. It's a tiny program (48KB) and does exactly what you're after, providing you've backed up your data first. :) The program lets you specify the cluster size if you want, so you can choose the trade-off between FAT size and wasted space. If you're going to use if for the PS3, then I assume that you'll be putting things like music and movies on it, in which case a large cluster size is fine.
  • myiagros 21 Jul 2010 09:42:04 1,343 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kosigan wrote:
    I've used a program called - funnily enough - fat32format to do just this. You can find it at: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm
    There's a GUI version too. It's a tiny program (48KB) and does exactly what you're after, providing you've backed up your data first. :) The program lets you specify the cluster size if you want, so you can choose the trade-off between FAT size and wasted space. If you're going to use if for the PS3, then I assume that you'll be putting things like music and movies on it, in which case a large cluster size is fine.

I was just coming to this thread to post a link to exactly the same thing. Very quick and easy to use to use to format drives of any size.
  • Ron_Justice 21 Jul 2010 09:46:48 2,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kosigan wrote:

Hmmmm, I tried that too, and again for some reason, it wouldn't work on my 1TB drive via a Vista lappy. Could be the size of the drive I guess, or the connection - USB, dunno. Don't think it was a PEBKAC issue either :p Whatever, if these apps work for you use them. My experience wasn't great though.

PSN - hyper_808

• oldschoolsoviet 21 Jul 2010 10:19:50 5,457 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the fact that NOBODY realised this was an old thread, bumped by a spammer.

Hey ho..... :p
  • myiagros 21 Jul 2010 11:18:48 1,343 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ron_Justice wrote:
    kosigan wrote:

Hmmmm, I tried that too, and again for some reason, it wouldn't work on my 1TB drive via a Vista lappy. Could be the size of the drive I guess, or the connection - USB, dunno. Don't think it was a PEBKAC issue either :p Whatever, if these apps work for you use them. My experience wasn't great though.

another option is GParted Live CD. You can download it as an iso then burn it to cd and boot to it.

I've never found anything that GParted couldn't handle, in terms of formatting & partitioning.
  • Xephon1970 21 Jul 2010 13:18:34 28 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ron_Justice wrote:
    Xephon1970 wrote:
    Swissknife was the app I found and it comes highly recommended, but for whatever reason (it's over 18 months ago so I can't remember specifics) it just wouldn't do my 1TB drive. Ubuntu is fool proof and doesn't need a secondary app. The 'tool' is right there in the OS.
    Ah, fair enough. I haven't had to do it recently, but nice to know there's another user friendly app.
  • gammonbanter 21 Jul 2010 13:30:58 1,486 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Xephon1970 wrote:

Swiss Knife is good! It couldn't quite manage a 500GB NTFS to FAT32 for me however - sigh!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• dnbuk 26 Apr 2011 04:07:37 4,942 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My mate got himself a 500GB external earlier and we both didn't realise it wouldn't work with the 360.

So I did a quick google and came across the method to format it to FAT32 using DOS, it took about 6-7 hours then tells me it's too big to format =/

So I did a little more research and found this beauty: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool.shtml

Literally took 2 minutes to format it to FAT32! Just stuck a vid on there to test it and it works perfectly.
  • kosigan 26 Apr 2011 09:01:11 460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dbnuk: download the program fat32format.exe from http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm - I've used it on several drives with no problems and it should work on drives up to 2TB.
  • priscy 18 Aug 2011 03:49:30 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i am having a problem trying to format to fat32. it doesnt give me an option just the NTFS. how do i find a way to format it to fat32. someone please help me
  • kosigan 18 Aug 2011 08:59:25 460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    priscy wrote:
    i am having a problem trying to format to fat32. it doesnt give me an option just the NTFS. how do i find a way to format it to fat32. someone please help me

See my post above, from 21st July last year.
  • warlockuk 18 Aug 2011 09:06:23 19,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The funny thing with FAT32, as probably mentioned before, is you can't have files bigger than 4Gb on the file format.

What's weird is that while the XBOX won't take NTFS, it will take a Mac-formatted drive (HFS+, I think?). Which allows files > 4Gb. Nice one, MicroShaft.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 18 August 2011 09:10:46
    Reads EXT2 too, not sure about exFAT but that would be ideal, try it.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next