Deus Ex Moments

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 00:29:05 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there anyone around who can brighten me up with some talk about this gem?

Personally my favourite Deus Ex moment is loading up the game and hearing the theme tune again, but I guess if we're going for gameplay then it has to be the bit in Hong Kong around where you get the nanosword. You're not so far that the general beauty of the game has started to wear thin, but you're far enough that you've enough skills and augments to make your first properly individual assault on the challenges the game gives you. That and some real exploration around the canals and the back-alleys of the market, with lots of tantalisingly illegal things to do and try to get away with.

There's even merit in Hitman-style taking out the police in the guard station in the central plaza so that nobody will ever know and you can hide in there, stash stuff, nick stuff and control cameras and turrets - your own little Hong Kong command centre.

Edited by ProfessorLesser at 00:31:32 25-04-2007
  • Razz 25 Apr 2007 00:32:38 61,287 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never played it. Any good? Worth playing these days as it's rather old. I remember talk of a sequel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 00:32:59 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's been a while but that first level was fantasitic. Making small probing attempts, finding different ways to complete it was great (even for my poor attention span).

It's one of the few games that I've played through sections several times just to find a different way through it.

The short stories and little bits of information (extracts from books etc.) were excellent touches that showed so much love and effort had gone into the game that it made me want to keep playing.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2007 00:34:35
    I actually have the Theme Song on my MP3 player.

True Story.

My favorite bit though (and bear in mind that I STILL haven't managed to finish the bloody thing after 2 attempts) is the mission where you have to sneek into that research place, the first time that the game really oppens up with possibilities.

Also fighting your way through the UNATCO building after turning, such great fun to see it for the other angle.

Though I really need to get off (or on, I guess) my arse and finish it - even if it's to see what happens to the Doctor.
  • Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 00:35:23 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The sequel was decent but was never going to live up to the precedent set by the original. I enjoyed it but nowhere near as much as the first.

I won't hold my breath for anything other that a "spiritual" sequel to the game now that Warren Spector (?) seems to have moved onto different things.
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 00:36:12 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Never played it. Any good? Worth playing these days as it's rather old. I remember talk of a sequel.
    /waves hand

This is not the sequel you're looking for.

Original is definitely worth a go, it's fantastic. It's even aged pretty nicely. You can make one of your OMG :DDDDD threads about it :-)
  • Deleted user 25 April 2007 00:36:32
    Razz wrote:
    I'd say so - maybe not as groundbreaking as it once was but it's a solid game anyway. It even has some semblence of a *gasp* plot. And if you go exploring, reading random newspapers and books and things then it's even a plot with some depth *gasps and faints*.
  • ecureuil 25 Apr 2007 00:36:41 76,877 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's been SO long since I played it, but the ending sticks in my mind. Spoilers!

Getting the choice, and then merging with a machine to become god. Awesome.
  • Razz 25 Apr 2007 00:37:19 61,287 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OMG! :DDDDDD I need this game!

/searches for a deal.

• ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 00:38:44 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    My favorite bit though (and bear in mind that I STILL haven't managed to finish the bloody thing after 2 attempts) is the mission where you have to sneek into that research place, the first time that the game really oppens up with possibilities.
    Actually I slightly begrudge that section for giving you 3 aug canisters at once and slowing down the second half of the game.

Edited by ProfessorLesser at 00:42:53 25-04-2007
  • Deleted user 25 April 2007 00:40:16
    Razz: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T READ MY POST!
  • Razz 25 Apr 2007 00:44:16 61,287 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Razz: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T READ MY POST!
    :D Don't worry!

I've just found a copy in my drawer! :D I must've bought it ages ago and forgotten about it. Installing now. :)

• Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 00:46:09 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This thread may be of interest for anyone who wants to play it again/for the first time.
  • Deleted user 25 April 2007 00:47:04
    o_0

Bloody hell!

Edit: @ Razz's discovery

Edited by disussedgenius at 00:47:52 25-04-2007
  • FWB 25 Apr 2007 00:48:34 44,670 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:

Out of my sight... this instant. Come back once you've completed it.

There has never been a game like Deus Ex. IIRC there is a site where you can DL high-rise texs too.
  • Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 00:49:47 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Razz wrote:

Out of my sight... this instant. Come back once you've completed it.

There has never been a game like Deus Ex. IIRC there is a site where you can DL high-rise texs too.

Micro_Explosion wrote:
    This thread may be of interest for anyone who wants to play it again/for the first time.

:o)
  • Razz 25 Apr 2007 00:50:12 61,287 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah! I remember why I didn;t install this now. My PC is too shit to run it :/

• ecureuil 25 Apr 2007 00:50:22 76,877 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Micro_Explosion wrote:

What are the minimum specs for this patch? And might it be better to wait until the project is complete?
  • T.G. 25 Apr 2007 00:51:40 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My favourite bit is when I realised what a total and utter cunt I was to the freedom fighters (not terrorists) a bit into the game. Oh, the guilt. :'( Great fucking game. Morals in a game? Who'd've thunk it!
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 00:51:47 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:

True Story.
    Haha, now it's my ringtone. Kick ass!
  • Genji 25 Apr 2007 00:52:10 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahhh, Deus Ex. The game by which I judge most modern FPS games, and find them utterly, utterly wanting.

Screw HL2!
  • Deleted user 25 April 2007 00:53:32
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

True Story.
    Haha, now it's my ringtone. Kick ass!
    /curses Samsung and their shitty .mmf ringtone format
  • Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 00:56:38 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Micro_Explosion wrote:

What are the minimum specs for this patch? And might it be better to wait until the project is complete?

Best estimates appear to be:

-2.7 GH processor
    -1gb of ram
    -Nvidia 4000 (64mb ram)

If you can run Deus Ex:IW then you should be fine. It looks fine to use now, some things aren't complete and so they stand out a bit but it does look very nice (not many glitches either).
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 00:56:59 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Plays nicely on my Samsung X820.

It won't play Crystal_Maze.wav though :-(
  • Razz 25 Apr 2007 01:01:45 61,287 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Current PC is shite, 1.6Ghz Athlon XP, 1024Mb RAM, Radeon 9550

• ProfessorLesser 25 Apr 2007 01:03:56 19,357 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That should be more than enough to play it! Well, not sure about the processor, but c'mon! The game is 10 years old.
  • Micro_Explosion 25 Apr 2007 01:04:00 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to have it running reasonably well on a 500Mhz PC with 128 Meg of RAM...
  • ecureuil 25 Apr 2007 01:04:06 76,877 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Micro_Explosion wrote:
    If you can run Deus Ex:IW then you should be fine. It looks fine to use now, some things aren't complete and so they stand out a bit but it does look very nice (not many glitches either).

Yeah, it just about runs IW. I got the Radeon 9800 for IW, HL2 and FarCry, and it ran IW the worst because it was badly optimised.
  • Ajay 25 Apr 2007 01:04:47 2,412 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    There's even merit in Hitman-style taking out the police in the guard station in the central plaza so that nobody will ever know and you can hide in there, stash stuff, nick stuff and control cameras and turrets - your own little Hong Kong command centre.
    I did this in each play through too. I just loved exploring the cities, since they were all so detailed and believable. You always felt that if you looked hard enough there'd always be something new to find. I'm the sort of person who loves wandering about in cities anyway though, so the ultra-urban stylings really clicked with me.
  • NthSimulachum 25 Apr 2007 01:05:32 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When you first enter NYC. Ooh the unlimited possibilities, the rats scurrying around, the huge number of options for role playing.

And finding the MJ12 facility in the sewers...finding out you could kill Anna on the plane...or that your brother can live or die...

Also, going to the top floor of the club in Hong Kong and annoying the Russians with really bad voice acting:)

"I SPILLLL MY DRINK!"
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous