PC World - Shitty Ads, Shitty Staff, Shitty Shitty

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • CaptainMonkeyCasket 13 Apr 2007 18:19:58 37 posts
    Registered 7 years ago
    OK so I saw this poster up in my local PC world.

a PS3 game for 9.97 and what's more the box has no price! Possible bargain? I took it up to the guy and pointed out that it wasn't priced and asked if he could scan it....surprise surprise it is actually 49.99.

Now I'm not totally idiotic, the poster says "From only 9.97" but I pointed out anyway that the box lacked a price and it was pictured on the poster next to a big 9.97 price. Misleading I would say but whatever....worth a try eh?

What annoyed was the shitty little PC World ginger chav's reply was "hahahahaha it says FROM." This was the answer I expected but perhaps sans the laughing in my face bit.

OK so a little pissed off, I put the game back and notice this poster next to it.

Dino Crisis "From only 2.97" but hang on a second, hanging my head in shame for realising I'm actually in PC World at all, I see that Dino Crisis is infact only 1.97 - proof here

So my point is, PC world seem to be moving the goalposts as to what "From only" actually means - with NBA PS3 Fuckacourt Jam LIVE or whatever you need to expect to pay A LOT more but with Dino Crisis "From only" doesn't mean that at all.

OK this was long and probably rather pointless but that ginger fuckwit pissed me off...perhaps I should have pushed and I would have got Fuckacourt JAM LIVE for 9.97 or perhaps I should have demand to have paid 1 extra and got Dino Crisis while keeping in line with PC World's hazey definition of "From only"

CMC

*Seems PC World are almost as shitty as my linking skills.

Edited by CaptainMonkeyCasket at 18:24:24 13-04-2007
  • cubbymoore 13 Apr 2007 18:21:31 36,468 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The ads are supposed to be ironic now aren't they? Or am I giving them too much credit.
  • President_Weasel 13 Apr 2007 18:23:07 8,942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    linky no worky
  • NewYork 13 Apr 2007 18:25:40 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PC World ads make it look like customers choose their PCs in less than a minute, and based on about 3 specs.
  • AlcohollicA 13 Apr 2007 18:43:30 2,355 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "...and its got 2gig of ram so I can listen to music and surf the web at the same time?"

"yes"

"sold"

Guess Ill have to upgrade my computer to do that.
  • heyyo 13 Apr 2007 18:49:07 14,374 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, no, no you need Quad Core X6800 to do that
  • NewYork 13 Apr 2007 18:53:01 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't get me started on Dell:

"How can I help you?"

"I need a computer for work... and listening to music."

"Ah, well you'll need the new MOTHERF'ER 3600 processor, with about 1GB of RAM"

"Sounds great!"

"How about a monitor?"

"I'll take a 17 inch... no, go on, make it a 19 inch!"

"THANKS. WE'LL GET STARTED ON THAT, THEN."

WTF. Especially his flippancy when choosing a monitor size.
  • lucky_jim 13 Apr 2007 19:28:54 5,252 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't forget that PC World is part of the Currys/ Dixons group and run on the same lines. In other words, most of their staff are minimum wage saturday boys, with the skills and knowledge to match. I only buy from there if I'm not going to need any advice and I know they've got a good price on what I'm after.
  • yonno 13 Apr 2007 20:00:30 83 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CaptainMonkeyCasket wrote:
    OK so I saw this poster up in my local PC world.

a PS3 game for 9.97 and what's more the box has no price! Possible bargain? I took it up to the guy and pointed out that it wasn't priced and asked if he could scan it....surprise surprise it is actually 49.99.

Now I'm not totally idiotic, the poster says "From only 9.97" but I pointed out anyway that the box lacked a price and it was pictured on the poster next to a big 9.97 price. Misleading I would say but whatever....worth a try eh?

What annoyed was the shitty little PC World ginger chav's reply was "hahahahaha it says FROM." This was the answer I expected but perhaps sans the laughing in my face bit.

OK so a little pissed off, I put the game back and notice this poster next to it.

Dino Crisis "From only 2.97" but hang on a second, hanging my head in shame for realising I'm actually in PC World at all, I see that Dino Crisis is infact only 1.97 - proof here

So my point is, PC world seem to be moving the goalposts as to what "From only" actually means - with NBA PS3 Fuckacourt Jam LIVE or whatever you need to expect to pay A LOT more but with Dino Crisis "From only" doesn't mean that at all.

OK this was long and probably rather pointless but that ginger fuckwit pissed me off...perhaps I should have pushed and I would have got Fuckacourt JAM LIVE for 9.97 or perhaps I should have demand to have paid 1 extra and got Dino Crisis while keeping in line with PC World's hazey definition of "From only"

CMC

*Seems PC World are almost as shitty as my linking skills.

Edited by CaptainMonkeyCasket at 18:24:24 13-04-2007

youve got too much time on your hands
  • CaptainMonkeyCasket 13 Apr 2007 20:47:42 37 posts
    Registered 7 years ago
    yonno wrote:
    youve got too much time on your hands

Is that because I posted this story, took photos or was in PC World at all?

I'm going to say all three! :)
  • Micro_Explosion 13 Apr 2007 21:41:01 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If it says from 9.97 then there must be at least one available at that price...or just not use PC World - the bunch of Goat wanking tossers.
  • Foregone-Reality 14 Apr 2007 01:34:27 2,218 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "I recommend x with 1GB of Ram for your Web-surfing and Music needs"

"...."

"Hello? Sir?"

"...Only last year PCworld told me that 256MB Ram would do all of this for me. You shower of bastards!"

/burns!!
  • Deleted user 14 April 2007 04:24:21
    wank shit hole
  • whatthefu 14 Apr 2007 09:16:49 852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What I really like is how you can buy a 500 quid laptop and if you are unhappy with it you aren't allowed to return it.
    Even though the same clown told me earlier that people had returned laptops because they didn't like the new screens they had.

Maybe some people are more able to return products than others.

I'm starting to think argos is the only place with a returns policy of any use.
  • RobertFoster 20 Apr 2007 12:35:22 10 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't Argos exclude games from their 16 day money back guarantee though?

edit: oh yeah, PC World are shite. In one of my local stores, all the 360 games have (badly) photocopied covers and no prices. Looks like they're selling knockoffs tbh.

The Dell ads annoy me too. I've been able to download stuff and listen to music at the same time for years, and I've not upgraded my PC since 2003...

Edited by RobertFoster at 12:38:20 20-04-2007
  • Mike_Hunt 20 Apr 2007 12:41:49 23,512 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread is useless without... oh...

[MH]
  • nickthegun 20 Apr 2007 12:44:30 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I ever need anything in a hurry and PC world is the absolute last resort, i always find that they always have a version of the thing that I want on their website that is ludicrously cheap yet never have it or have heard of it in store.

Whats more, in a store with literally hundreds of PCs, when I ask about something ive seen on the web, one of the floor monkeys has to go scuttling to check it in the back room rather than using a unit on the shop floor.

Also, I hate the way that they have a store the size of an aircraft hangar, yet have only two tills with a security guard pearched on high next to them.

Fucking useless bastards.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kentmonkey 2 May 2007 21:45:13 20,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

The new one with the gimp dancing

My eyes!!!!

MY EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
  • Razz 2 May 2007 22:22:08 60,750 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't MApster a PC World Store Manager?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Stickman 2 May 2007 23:00:22 29,657 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    "How about a monitor?"

"I'll take a 17 inch... no, go on, make it a 19 inch!"

"THANKS. WE'LL GET STARTED ON THAT, THEN."

lol! That bit always cracks me up too! I equate it with that idiot who is apparently ringing up for a Picture loan without really having any fixed idea what he's after.

"Ooh, I dunno, what do you reckon? 20 grand? That sound like enough?"

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• souljah 2 May 2007 23:02:36 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THAT FUCKING HSA AD!
  • Introspectre 2 May 2007 23:03:04 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Isn't MApster a PC World Store Manager?

Is Mapster the nonce in the ad?

/rofldies
  • Dant 2 May 2007 23:05:26 894 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NewYork wrote:

I made the same mistake when buying my last PC, I opted for a 19 instead of a 17 and had to send it back because it was too big for my desk :-0

Picture Loan adverts are the worst ever.....WELL THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL FOOTBALL.

I think there is a myspace page or something called "thepictureloancunt" i'm sure it's been posted on here before
  • Biggles 2 May 2007 23:19:30 56 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fecking PC world, once bought a lappy in there (god knows why) and tried to split the cost with my dad. They charged both cards the full amount. Didn't realise until I was going over my bank statements to try and work out where all my money had gone. They were right bastards about sorting it out too. Ended up sending angry letters to the board of directors and about 5 months later got a cheque and 50 quid voucher. Seriously one of the shittiest companies around.

Edited by Biggles at 23:20:42 02-05-2007
  • Aurifex. 4 May 2007 12:53:26 1,030 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just after Xmas i picked up a pair of Creative headphones for the PC that said 15 on them. Took them to the till, they said that should be 40. What!, i said, oh better give them for that price then. Oh and go change the lables. I thought i was buying cheapo ones, but no they are good. So was the price. I was supprised as i think the law was chaged that they no longer need to sell you an item that is marked up wrong. But hey i ain't complaining.
  • PES_Fanboy 4 May 2007 13:00:52 13,362 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Biggles wrote:
    Fecking PC world, once bought a lappy in there (god knows why) and tried to split the cost with my dad. They charged both cards the full amount. Didn't realise until I was going over my bank statements to try and work out where all my money had gone. They were right bastards about sorting it out too. Ended up sending angry letters to the board of directors and about 5 months later got a cheque and 50 quid voucher. Seriously one of the shittiest companies around.

Edited by Biggles at 23:20:42 02-05-2007

Didn't you look at the amount on the chip & PIN device when you were asked to enter your PIN?
  • MetalDog 4 May 2007 13:17:47 23,708 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Me: Do you have any Dreamcast VMUs?

PC World monkey: No, but we have Dreamcast keyboards!

Me: I'll just save all my games on that then, shall I?

Leaving the store, I notice the huge cardboard standee full to the brim with Dreamcast VMUs. Wonderful entertainment, that place.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• urban 4 May 2007 13:26:34 10,923 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    after the clerk has described the whole system as being a dual core vista laptop with blah blah blah

some hot actress wifey: WOW but vista's a premium surely i must have to pay extra for that?,

clerk: nope it's FREE (BALLOCKS- included in the price you mean cockbag)

some hot actress wifey: and an amd dual core for only threeninenine? thats amazing.

sketch ends.

WANK.

argh. damn ignorant consumers.
  • Retroid Moderator 4 May 2007 13:30:06 44,503 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    urban wrote:
    some hot actress wifey

WANK
    Indeed!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last