• deem 3 May 2007 12:26:10 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MikeP 3 May 2007 12:39:21 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:

I got some amazing Sausages called Welsh Dragon, some fantastic Brie and the nicest Pesto I've ever had. Walked up and had a pint at the Pheonix, then called in the playground and garden center on the way down.

The garden center in Ally Pally is AWESOME. :D

I've had those Sausages as well, very good they are too. The garden centre's great, although some of their planters and things are very overpriced. Crewe's Hill near Enfield has a fantastic range of garden places, all conveniently lined up next to each other.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• deem 3 May 2007 12:53:54 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • gamingdave 3 May 2007 13:43:49 4,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So how did you find Camden DevilsKebab.

I'm still saying its the best place for you, quick link to Old Street and all the live music you can shake a stick at. But then I am biased as I live there.
  • Spanky 3 May 2007 13:46:27 14,585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Garden Centres, you mean real Garden Centres or is this some new name for restaurants where you get nice sausages?

If you want real garden centres theres a few nice ones up by Capel Manor... in enfield.

Plubs

• DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 13:47:53 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    So how did you find Camden DevilsKebab.

I'm still saying its the best place for you, quick link to Old Street and all the live music you can shake a stick at. But then I am biased as I live there.

Well, the flat I went to see was very nice but there was one problem...
    The communal stairwell was filthy and not looked after and was also very narrow, so I'd have had a problem moving in a lot of my stuff.
    But I'm looking at another flat there this weekend, as well as a few places in Islington.
    I'll have to admit, I have a preference to Camden as I'm the pierced, metal type and that's the sort of crowd I meet up with from time to time in the Worlds End.
  • Spanky 3 May 2007 13:49:11 14,585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You could move a bit futher up the line towards barnet n'all that. It'll be cheaper.

Plubs

• DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 13:52:06 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Initially I'd like to live close to the city itself. I'll be on a very good salary so cost is not too much of an issue.
    Maybe once I've lived there a while and get to know the areas better I'll move furthr out.
  • Spanky 3 May 2007 13:53:44 14,585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah we've slowly spiraled out over the years, think it's age more than anything that does it.

You'll pine for enfield sometime, when you're in your 30's :p

Plubs

• gamingdave 3 May 2007 13:57:08 4,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good good. One of the best things about Camden is you can look anyway you like and no-one cares at all. Apart from a very few of the pubs, you can go in anywhere and no-one will give you a second glance if your not dressed the same as others.

In the Elephants Head you'll find goths, rockers, punks, mods and pretty boys all together without any trouble or pretentiousness. Unfortunately their draught isn't very good, but their bottles aren't overly expensive, im sure there soft drinks are reasonable enough so it wont bother you anyway.

Its one of the things I don't like about a lot of places like Clapham, all the blokes look like they've been shopping in the same shop, trying to look like a model in GQ. I know thats an exaggeration, but the definite impression I get is that theres no individuality.
  • DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 13:57:17 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm in my 30s already!
    *lol*
    Still single though and trying to act like I'm still in my mid 20s so am looking forward to a crazy bachelor life for a little while to come (albeit one without alcholol)
  • gamingdave 3 May 2007 13:58:31 4,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    I totally fail to understand why anyone would ever want to live in Camden. Surely no Londoners actually exist in that mess, its just for tourists and stoners with a penchant for huge leather boots. One of the worst areas of London IMO.

Theres more to Camden than the market on a weekend, but im guessing thats pretty much all you've seen.
  • snick 3 May 2007 14:07:26 240 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sud0g wrote:
    Just clocked this thread.
    IMHO you cant beat the West. Been living in Chiswick for close to 3 years and have loved every minute of it. Dont get me wrong though I am a regular visiter to Camden...Old street etc but living that side has never appealed to me.

It's also nice to live 3 minutes from work.

Chiswick is where its at, just ask Ant and Dec, and me! Wish work was only three minutes away tho.

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2229-3515

• gamingdave 3 May 2007 14:09:56 4,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    TBH I do avoid Camden like the plague, so yes beyond the markets
    etc, plus one or two utterly hellish nights out in the area, I haven't seen anything.

What am I missing (seriously)?

Well on a practical side its got great transport links (junction of the northern line, overland train, and more bus connections than anywhere else in London). Its next to Regents Park which IMO is one of the nicest in London, and its also close to Hampstead Heath.

If your into live music there are so many venues with masses of variation, every night of the week. If you like drinking your also set with (again) a massive variation. From the spit-and-sawdust style of the Elephants Head and the Good Mixer, through to the Proud Gallery. Through places like Quinns, which has a blinding range of import beers, and serves the best draught in the country.

Its increadibaly diverse with people from all walks of life, never before have I seen a bigger mix of people, from all over the world, from rich to poor. And as I said before it feels like no one cares, not in a bad "turn my back on others problems" ways, but in a freedom to do/be what you want as long as thats not harming others. Ive lived elsewhere in London (Finchley and Muswell Hill) but always end up gravitating back to Camden.

However, yes, on a weekend it can be a nightmare around the market and the tube, but living there you know routes to get around without all the hassle.

/should stand for local govt

Edited by gamingdave at 14:11:12 03-05-2007
  • MrWonderstuff 3 May 2007 14:21:22 1,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I feel much more part of Crouch End now I have a buggy to push around, though I'm still frowned upon slightly as it has 4 wheels rather than three.

:)

Either of you guys been to the Farmers Market at the entrance to Ally Pally?

Went there on Sunday for the first time in ages and it's bloody fantastic.

My mates have gone and rave about it. I have yet to sample the delights of an organic burger but will pop over soonish.

Is it my imagination or are there a fair few Crouch Enders/Muswell Hillbilly's here?

It's not a bad place for me as I work from home so the local cafe (Hot Pepper Jelly) is a fab place to go for great grub at lunchtime. Pubs are ok (The Queen's is cool, The Maynard is very nice).

The mums and buggies get on my tits though.
  • DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 14:28:41 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    If your into live music there are so many venues with masses of variation, every night of the week.

Its increadibaly diverse with people from all walks of life, never before have I seen a bigger mix of people, from all over the world, from rich to poor. And as I said before it feels like no one cares, not in a bad "turn my back on others problems" ways, but in a freedom to do/be what you want as long as thats not harming others.

And those are my main reasons for wanting to live there.
    I love my live music and enjoy being able to wear what I like with no-one being bothered.
  • Darts_Venom 3 May 2007 14:34:42 99 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DevilsKebab wrote:
    I love my live music and enjoy being able to wear what I like with no-one being bothered.

But dude. People draw the line at diapers and bulls blood.
  • DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 14:37:22 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Darts_Venom wrote:
    DevilsKebab wrote:

But dude. People draw the line at diapers and bulls blood.

Not where I'm from....deepest darkest Wales (Port Talbot)
  • MikeP 3 May 2007 15:23:07 2,049 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    My mates have gone and rave about it. I have yet to sample the delights of an organic burger but will pop over soonish.

Is it my imagination or are there a fair few Crouch Enders/Muswell Hillbilly's here?

It's not a bad place for me as I work from home so the local cafe (Hot Pepper Jelly) is a fab place to go for great grub at lunchtime. Pubs are ok (The Queen's is cool, The Maynard is very nice).

The mums and buggies get on my tits though.

It does appear that's the case. Full of 30-somethings with plush jobs in the meeja who never get round to growing up. ;-)

Where else would you find a shop like Audio Gold?

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• captain_cupcake 3 May 2007 16:07:21 334 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    TBH I do avoid Camden like the plague, so yes beyond the markets
    etc, plus one or two utterly hellish nights out in the area, I haven't seen anything.

What am I missing (seriously)?

Nothing really :D

Unless you're into goth-gear, phone and shoe-shopping...

Slimelight eh? DJ Steve used to work with us heh
  • MrWonderstuff 3 May 2007 16:24:13 1,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

It does appear that's the case. Full of 30-somethings with plush jobs in the meeja who never get round to growing up. ;-)

Yea that's me ;-)...well im 38 and a graphic designer who doesnt want to grow up.
  • DevilsKebab 5 May 2007 22:50:22 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well guys, I spent another day looking at flats and two of the six were worth considering.

Goldhurst Terrace,
    and

Maygrove Road

So, opinions please guys to help me make a decision by Tuesday...

Cheers in advance.
  • deem 5 May 2007 22:52:24 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 5 May 2007 22:56:45 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, links seem to work for me.
    The Goldhurst one is right in Hampstead and is a one bedroom
    The Maygrove one is on the edge of Hampstead/Kilburn and is a two bedroom.

And the Irish are fine, being a fellow celtic race and all that!
  • deem 5 May 2007 23:08:42 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 5 May 2007 23:24:01 655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not logged in!

Maybe Googles maps will work.

Maygrove Road

and

Goldhurst Terrace