of 12 First / Last

• deem 29 Apr 2007 16:24:23 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 29 Apr 2007 16:37:42 20,018 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm trying to make a joke where the ingredients are N17 and E17...

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• The-Bodybuilder 29 Apr 2007 16:40:56 14,069 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    You can have good rail and tube connections to old street. Personally i'd move up to winchmore hill or grange park or enfield(join ussss) they have an overland line going direct to old street.

Ewww, do you like people getting into delays?

In East London, your best bet is Canada Water, Greenwich, and stratford (the good side. stay away from the centre).
    If you've got some cash, then definately I would say docklands. If you can somehow find a place there, count yourself lucky.
    I would also say barking now. There's a bit of it that's just been renovated and it looks absolutely fantastic. Very docklands-esque.

Stay away from: Hackney, PLAISTOW (ugly, ugly place).
  • eleven63 29 Apr 2007 16:46:23 1,600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Live in Camden, 10 mins from Regents Park and the lovies of Primrose Hill, and equally 10 mins from the packed markets, drug pushers and fuck wits - the tourist board calls it "Vibrant"….hmm.

I did work in Old Street, I could walk it in an hour if need be (tube strikes).

Cargo’s, had many a good night there, top place!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Maf 30 Apr 2007 17:28:28 35 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    You can have good rail and tube connections to old street. Personally i'd move up to winchmore hill or grange park or enfield(join ussss) they have an overland line going direct to old street.

Agreed...I've a couple of mates that do Enfield Chase to Old Street/Moorgate pretty stress free. For my sins I do Gordon Hill to south of the river which takes a bit over an hour.

Of course any commuting route is guaranteed to suck some of the time.

/Is Enfield born & bred & still likes the old place.

• DodgyPast 30 Apr 2007 17:56:02 8,415 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    markypants wrote:
    Went to Cargo's in Shoreditch, great night!

M
    Is that still going?

Did about 6 months cheap drinking off their 2 for the price of one drinks vouchers from when they opened.

Is the pool bar still pretty decent?

Though one of my favourites was Reliance... used to have a very saucy bar maid there.
  • deem 30 Apr 2007 17:57:33 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Darts_Venom 30 Apr 2007 17:59:40 99 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey dude. Congrats on the new job.
    I live in Brixton/Clapham. And its pretty nice. You can get a cheapish/nice place and its surrounded by tubes (Clapham Junction, Clapham North, Brixton) which service two tube lines so if one is bsted there is another option. ChristOurLord is just moving away from living in Old Street maybe you could have his flat!
  • deem 30 Apr 2007 18:01:03 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ram 30 Apr 2007 18:16:48 3,471 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I live in Putney, which is pretty nice. For me its major benefits are being only 5 mins from the river and a 10 minute bike ride to Wimbledon common and Richmond park.

I can cycle along the river path, then cut across Sheen to Richmond Park, around that and then nip over the A3 into Wimbledon common. Its a 20 mile bike ride and I spend about 1.5 miles of that on the road.

Edited by ram at 18:36:13 30-04-2007
  • ram 30 Apr 2007 18:30:52 3,471 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deem wrote:
    TBH, all the places south you've listed are pretty crappy though. Primrose Hill, Hampstead, Canonbury, Islington, Highbury, Highgate, Crouch End Muswell Hill etc etc etc are all much, much nicer than any areas south that are on the tube.

South London as in Chislehurst is lovely, but everywhere you mentioned is pretty crap. The problem you had with North London is living in the hell hole that is Wood Green.

Best parts of North London >>>>>>> Best parts of South London buy so much it's almost unfair.

Highgate is pretty nasty, I think you mean Highgate Village but that doesn't have a tube. The nearest being Kentish Town which is a ming hole.

North v South arguments are so lame it's untrue.

Edited by ram at 18:32:00 30-04-2007
  • Shinji 30 Apr 2007 19:03:45 5,903 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm currently living in Vauxhall. It's a really nice, fun area just inside Zone 1, which is vastly cheaper than anything else in Zone 1 due to being south of the river... i.e. my rent is kept cheap because the likes of deem turn their noses up at flats around here :)

Basically, London is full of great places to live. All around the city you'll find various high streets with nice stuff on them - Clapham Common / High Street being a personal favourite - and it's just a matter of finding somewhere with a *GOOD* local high street rather than a scummy one, really. Don't worry about the fact that there'll be a "rough looking" estate 200 yards away. There's ALWAYS a rough looking estate 200 yards away, no matter how posh the bit of London you're in is.

I would caution against Docklands, though. It's not massively expensive for the properties you get, but it's quite isolated. Canary Wharf looks awesome, but it's really just for honking banker fucks who want to guffaw about their bonuses to each other while sticking their fat, sweating fingers under the table into the knickers of the gold-digging intern next to them...

Er, sorry, I quite lost myself there. Anyway, Canary Wharf and the other bits around there are all very well ;) but they do tend to shut down almost completely at weekends, which leaves all the places like Mudchute and so on pretty isolated. I've watched a procession of friends move out to GLORIOUS apartments out there, only to move back in to shoddier but better connected flats nearer the city centre within a year. It all depends what you do with your spare time really, but if you're going to really use London for all that it offers, Docklands isn't the place to be.
  • Tomo 30 Apr 2007 19:10:15 13,879 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Earl's Court wins!
  • Ajay 30 Apr 2007 19:11:35 2,412 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agree with Shinji about Docklands. A friend and his girlfriend was living on the quays in a very new and modern flat which was really quite good for the money - the downside being that it took them both well over an hour and a half to get anywhere near to or from work and the place was totally dead in evenings, though it was a very quiet area in general.

They've gone to China for a year for work now, and the standing joke at the goodbye party was that at least it'd be easier for us to visit them now.
  • DevilsKebab 30 Apr 2007 19:14:52 645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the congrats Darts_Venom!
    :)

Well, I've got a few viewings on Saturday.
    Mostly Islington, one in Camden and another in Notting Hill.
    I'm lucky that I'm in no rush for a place.
    My new job will let me start at 10 so commuting from Southampton is less of a pain and I only need to give one months notice where I live now.
    So I have the luxury of waiting for the right place to come along.
    But obviously the sooner the better.

As for what I'll be getting up to in London, well for a while I'll be doing the museums thing until I get bored of them. Going to the cinema a lot and live gigs (metal!)
  • Ajay 30 Apr 2007 19:15:10 2,412 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, you're probably right. 'Small and Cramped' vs 'Spacious and Desolate' - taking all bets!
  • Fixxxer 30 Apr 2007 19:16:08 1,303 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ram wrote:
    I live in Putney, which is pretty nice. For me its major benefits are being only 5 mins from the river and a 10 minute bike ride to Wimbledon common and Richmond park.

I guess it also has the benefit of being very tidy.
  • Razz 30 Apr 2007 19:31:32 60,770 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NOTTING HILL?! ON SATURDAY?!

OY!

Come meet Razz for a pint! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• DevilsKebab 30 Apr 2007 19:34:19 645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    NOTTING HILL?! ON SATURDAY?!

OY!

Come meet Razz for a pint! :D

Wish I could....
    But the viewing it at 10:30 and then I need to get to Camden for 11:30 for my second viewing.
    No rest for the wicked here!
  • Razz 30 Apr 2007 19:41:35 60,770 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bah! Waaay to early for my skin anyway. :( 10:30? On a Saturday?! :D I didn't know such a thing existed. :)

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• DevilsKebab 30 Apr 2007 19:46:13 645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure when I get to London I'll bother a few London EG peeps socially, for a few pints of Redbull
  • deem 30 Apr 2007 20:11:01 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Gretters 30 Apr 2007 20:32:52 2,628 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A mate of mine recently moved to Clapham South, and I really quite like it.

I like the Common being there in the sunnyness for marathon footy games which remind me of being 10 (although not so much for the late-night wariness), I like the abundant totty/glorious eye-candy/cheap, tarty hoes (delete according to company), I like the relatively easy journey to and from London Village, and I like a lot of the pubs around the place - the Falcon and the Coach and Horses are particularly mint. Also, the Hope and Anchor has a top beer garden, but is always dead.

There are some bits which suck (The Windmill - £4-odd for some beers, gah! The huge numbers of peeps rummaging around Tesco making it impossible to buy anything, ever. ) but I like the rest so much, I'm seriously considering moving down there.

But then I'm from Manchester, so what do I know?

P.S. Arch 635 (or whatever number it is) looked shut last time I wandered past it en-route to the Falcon.
  • MikeP 3 May 2007 11:28:17 1,769 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    markypants wrote:
    Hi there DevilsKebab,

I live Oop Norf in Crouch End/Hornsey. Brilliant place to live, great transport links (don't know what the geezer saying it was rubbish is on about?!) we've got Main line station in Hornsey direct to Kings Cross and about 5 min walk to Turnpike Lnae station which is Piccadilly and in 20 min you're in Piccadilly Circus. I work way over in West London and it takes me about 40 mins into work.

Check out this place: http://www.newrivervillage.co.uk/

They have loads of flats to rent and have an on site gym, restaurant and concierge. It is 5-10 min walk to Turnpike lane station or 5 min walk to Hornsey Station which is 10-15 mins into Kings cross.

You're basically sat between Crouch End/Muswell Hill and it is easy as a short walk or quick bus into either.

Been here 2 years and it's amazing. In that time 3 of my mates have moved here as well.

Good luck.

M

PS - Sorry about spelling am typing like a spazz today.

If you're referring to my post then on reflection I've been pretty harsh on the transport in Crouch End. I forget how big it is and the fact that you can live close to the Tube/Mainline if you live in the right part.

I guess I'm biased for a few reasons:

1) Finsbury Park's really well connected to Tube and Rail
    2) No-one ever looks happy on the W7 bus/sardine can that connects Finbo Park and Crouch End
    3) Until the put controlled parking in my street it was used as a commuter car park by folks from Crouch End and Muswell Hill

Crouch End can be affordable, I know people who live there who aren't on a huge amount of cash. It's the sort of place where there's loads to do. Cafe Society writ large. And it's not full of people in Deck Shoes with their jumpers tied round their neck i.e. Clapham. :p
  • deem 3 May 2007 11:32:11 31,641 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PodlingJuice 3 May 2007 11:34:58 262 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    haowan wrote:
    Heyyyy big up to the Southampton massive.

Scummer. ;)
  • MikeP 3 May 2007 11:46:57 1,769 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I feel much more part of Crouch End now I have a buggy to push around, though I'm still frowned upon slightly as it has 4 wheels rather than three.

Either of you guys been to the Farmers Market at the entrance to Ally Pally?

Went there on Sunday for the first time in ages and it's bloody fantastic.

Yep, some good stuff up there. Funnily enough I was there on Sunday too. There's an Asian guy who sells this cheddar with Chili and Herbs in it called Spicy Nun. Lovely.

I cycled over first thing. You don't realise how steep Crouch Hill is until you pedal up it.
  • MikeP 3 May 2007 11:47:10 1,769 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted at 11:59:51 03-05-2007
  • DevilsKebab 3 May 2007 12:02:47 645 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:

There's an Asian guy who sells this cheddar with Chili and Herbs in it called Spicy Nun.

Now that just sounds tasty as anything!
    I'll have to get some of that for my old man too, he's a huge lover of cheese
  • Sud0g 3 May 2007 12:24:13 109 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just clocked this thread.
    IMHO you cant beat the West. Been living in Chiswick for close to 3 years and have loved every minute of it. Dont get me wrong though I am a regular visiter to Camden...Old street etc but living that side has never appealed to me.

It's also nice to live 3 minutes from work.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last