Moving to London Page 12

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Load_2.0 24 Feb 2013 11:32:33 19,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I moved from London to Prague in 2011, went back last week for the first time since Christmas of that year. I'm more certain than ever that I made the right decision!
    I thought Prague was amazing, beautiful city. I would do the same if I could work there or speak Czech.
  • elstoof 24 Feb 2013 11:33:59 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit parts are shit, what a shocker. Where are these cities with no dodgy areas exactly? If you're intent in being so negative about something, all you'll see is the crap, how about focussing on all the fantastic things a place has to offer? It's not exactly Belgrade.
  • urban 24 Feb 2013 11:52:55 10,978 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah Mile End is a proper shithole alright

....I beg to differ fella
  • kalel 24 Feb 2013 12:10:11 88,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Shit parts are shit, what a shocker. Where are these cities with no dodgy areas exactly? If you're intent in being so negative about something, all you'll see is the crap, how about focussing on all the fantastic things a place has to offer? It's not exactly Belgrade.
    This. So this.

If I were a start a thread about how shit the Scottish Highlands are because there's no stunning architecture or range of top restaurants or 24/7 regular and varied transport system or a multitude of cultural entertainment options I would rightfully get ripped to shreds.

As per the other thread on this the other day, as large metropolitan cities go, London is one of the best in the world, and certainly about as good as it gets in Britain.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 16 Jan 2014 18:43:36 512 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump.

I've been offered the chance by the manager in my company to move back to London (I'm originally from there) having moved away in 2007 to the North-East/Yorkshire.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the offer as I've settled down in the last few years, own a place, have a lodger and have a few friends here now.

I'd still be working for the same people and be closer to my general work (I'm in construction/engineering), but I'd probably have to move back in with my parents in the short-term.

Part of me in excited by the idea of moving back as I've got some old friends there and there are some things (e.g. the cultural things) that are simply better in London. But I'd miss my current place and I'd be working remotely for much of the time with less time with my colleagues in similar positions.

Anybody ever had to make a move like this? I don't know whether it seems like a strangely regressive step that might just irritate my parents who thought they were rid of me.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 18:48:28
    kalel wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    This. So this.

If I were a start a thread about how shit the Scottish Highlands are because there's no stunning architecture or range of top restaurants or 24/7 regular and varied transport system or a multitude of cultural entertainment options I would rightfully get ripped to shreds.

As per the other thread on this the other day, as large metropolitan cities go, London is one of the best in the world, and certainly about as good as it gets in Britain.
    I think you could just say the highlands are shit cos Scots live there.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 18:50:04
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    Bump.

I've been offered the chance by the manager in my company to move back to London (I'm originally from there) having moved away in 2007 to the North-East/Yorkshire.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the offer as I've settled down in the last few years, own a place, have a lodger and have a few friends here now.

I'd still be working for the same people and be closer to my general work (I'm in construction/engineering), but I'd probably have to move back in with my parents in the short-term.

Part of me in excited by the idea of moving back as I've got some old friends there and there are some things (e.g. the cultural things) that are simply better in London. But I'd miss my current place and I'd be working remotely for much of the time with less time with my colleagues in similar positions.

Anybody ever had to make a move like this? I don't know whether it seems like a strangely regressive step that might just irritate my parents who thought they were rid of me.
    Sounds like you need to think about why you chose to leave in the first place.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 16 Jan 2014 18:59:11 512 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was straight out of university and look for work and this was the preferable.

I'm more concerned that working so far from people I'm meant to interacting with each day will damage my career prospects. I'll only crop up on people's radar when I'm forced to travel north for meetings.

We had a round of redundancies recently and although I survived there's always the feeling you need to make sure you're useful.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 19:57:50
    Working at distance from people, especially if you need information or need to influence them, is a pain in the arse and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless you love driving the same long road regularly or you have no other option.
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Aug 2014 06:32:22 17,193 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wagwan EG.

I'm looking to move to Dat Dere London, and I'd like to pick hive mind.

My budget-to-location preferences appear to show Clapham or Bermondsey areas strongly. I could afford Canary Wharfish areas but I'm assuming it's still pretty soulless at night there.

Key points need to be: zone 2, ideally south of the river (seems to have much more soul and is more affordable), easy bike hack to both cities (Westminster and London). Where else should I consider?

X
  • Grax 1 Aug 2014 06:37:43 2,296 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ummm I stopped off at Canada waters by mistake once and it has stuck with me ever since (have no idea why can't remember)
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Aug 2014 06:41:23 17,193 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not really considering that area seriously, I like the idea of a community within the area, if that makes sense, which is why places like Clapham or Bermondsey / Southwark appeal
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2014 06:56:13 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have a look at Streatham Hill. More for your money than Clapham and Balham. (or was when   I moved away errrm, 7 years ago).
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Aug 2014 07:21:08 17,193 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Dougs, that looks miles away though? What's the transport links like?
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 08:06:13 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a north London boy but I'll suggest crouch end / Muswell hill anyway for at least a look. Should be about the same price as clapham but generally sunnier, and greener, got a bit of a village within a city feel and close to the centre. There's no tube through them so it keeps the passing riff raff away.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 08:07:30 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Barnes is worth a look too, but it might be a bit far west for easy access to the City.

The thing about clapham/battersea I really dislike is the lack of trees in the street.

Edited by elstoof at 08:10:35 01-08-2014
  • DevilsKebab 1 Aug 2014 08:11:00 653 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I live just south of Canary Wharf, on the Isle of Dogs.
    For me it's perfect.
    At night, yes it's pretty damn quiet, but I like that.
    In normal transport hours, it takes 40 mins to get into the center of London.
    There are 2 night busses an hour from Trafalgar Square, should I wish to tempt fate and not pay for a taxi.
    Also, from next year, the Jubilee line goes 24 hours over the weekend.

So I'd say it's great place to live, been here for 4 years now.
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2014 08:31:55 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Cheers Dougs, that looks miles away though? What's the transport links like?
    Excellent, 15 mins by overground into Victoria, short hop on the bus to Brixton if tube was needed. Would only take you 10 mins longer if you were to cycle in than from Brixton or Clapham. If being closer was more important, then Brixton, Kennington, Stockwell etc are all good options. Streatham Hill has a bit more going on though.
  • kalel 1 Aug 2014 08:35:17 88,454 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Norf is best blud.
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2014 08:54:51 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He'd probably end up in Wood Green or something.
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Aug 2014 09:08:01 17,193 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha, yeah!

Erm, what's Wood Green?

All the cool things are sarf of the river. Galleries, and erm...knife crime.

Plus hipsters live north of the river, and I don't want to Go Jablonski
  • jablonski 1 Aug 2014 09:21:57 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I'm a north London boy but I'll suggest crouch end / Muswell hill anyway for at least a look. Should be about the same price as clapham but generally sunnier, and greener, got a bit of a village within a city feel and close to the centre. There's no tube through them so it keeps the passing riff raff away.
    No, I live near here. So stay away.

I'm a south London boy, but after moving north 2 years ago I'll never go back. Just can't imagine not being on a tube line anymore
  • jablonski 1 Aug 2014 09:23:12 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh and PES, getting on the northern line at clapham is a nightmare. So busy round there
  • PES_Fanboy 1 Aug 2014 09:24:16 17,193 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a bicycle
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2014 09:25:37 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wood Green is often reported as GANG CENTRAL. I suspect, much like a lot of London, it's not as bad as it is portrayed. I prefer South though, Brixton especially had a great community feel. As long as you weren't into drugs and guns.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 09:29:46 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wood Green is fine now, full of folk who can't quite afford the decent part of Haringey. Still a shit hole of course, but you won't be killed too often.
  • Dougs 1 Aug 2014 09:31:58 68,474 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a decent part of Haringey?
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 09:31:59 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, I'm only a few miles from a Jablonski. Lemme guess... Archway/Hornsey?
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2014 09:33:41 7,760 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    There's a decent part of Haringey?
    Crouchie aka Nappy Valley, where you're never more than spitting distance from someone who was in eastenders.
  • Salaman 1 Aug 2014 09:33:50 19,299 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A friend of mine moved to Streatham. When I come to London, I normally crash at their place. They have an overground train station at the end of their road. Pretty convenient. Plus there's a massive park nearby, which is nice. I'd consider it if I wanted to be in London.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last