Moving to London Page 12

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next
  • Load_2.0 24 Feb 2013 11:32:33 18,906 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I moved from London to Prague in 2011, went back last week for the first time since Christmas of that year. I'm more certain than ever that I made the right decision!
    I thought Prague was amazing, beautiful city. I would do the same if I could work there or speak Czech.
  • elstoof 24 Feb 2013 11:33:59 6,625 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit parts are shit, what a shocker. Where are these cities with no dodgy areas exactly? If you're intent in being so negative about something, all you'll see is the crap, how about focussing on all the fantastic things a place has to offer? It's not exactly Belgrade.
  • urban 24 Feb 2013 11:52:55 10,923 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah Mile End is a proper shithole alright

....I beg to differ fella
  • kalel 24 Feb 2013 12:10:11 86,370 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Shit parts are shit, what a shocker. Where are these cities with no dodgy areas exactly? If you're intent in being so negative about something, all you'll see is the crap, how about focussing on all the fantastic things a place has to offer? It's not exactly Belgrade.
    This. So this.

If I were a start a thread about how shit the Scottish Highlands are because there's no stunning architecture or range of top restaurants or 24/7 regular and varied transport system or a multitude of cultural entertainment options I would rightfully get ripped to shreds.

As per the other thread on this the other day, as large metropolitan cities go, London is one of the best in the world, and certainly about as good as it gets in Britain.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 16 Jan 2014 18:43:36 505 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump.

I've been offered the chance by the manager in my company to move back to London (I'm originally from there) having moved away in 2007 to the North-East/Yorkshire.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the offer as I've settled down in the last few years, own a place, have a lodger and have a few friends here now.

I'd still be working for the same people and be closer to my general work (I'm in construction/engineering), but I'd probably have to move back in with my parents in the short-term.

Part of me in excited by the idea of moving back as I've got some old friends there and there are some things (e.g. the cultural things) that are simply better in London. But I'd miss my current place and I'd be working remotely for much of the time with less time with my colleagues in similar positions.

Anybody ever had to make a move like this? I don't know whether it seems like a strangely regressive step that might just irritate my parents who thought they were rid of me.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 18:48:28
    kalel wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    This. So this.

If I were a start a thread about how shit the Scottish Highlands are because there's no stunning architecture or range of top restaurants or 24/7 regular and varied transport system or a multitude of cultural entertainment options I would rightfully get ripped to shreds.

As per the other thread on this the other day, as large metropolitan cities go, London is one of the best in the world, and certainly about as good as it gets in Britain.
    I think you could just say the highlands are shit cos Scots live there.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 18:50:04
    ManicDrunkMonk wrote:
    Bump.

I've been offered the chance by the manager in my company to move back to London (I'm originally from there) having moved away in 2007 to the North-East/Yorkshire.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of the offer as I've settled down in the last few years, own a place, have a lodger and have a few friends here now.

I'd still be working for the same people and be closer to my general work (I'm in construction/engineering), but I'd probably have to move back in with my parents in the short-term.

Part of me in excited by the idea of moving back as I've got some old friends there and there are some things (e.g. the cultural things) that are simply better in London. But I'd miss my current place and I'd be working remotely for much of the time with less time with my colleagues in similar positions.

Anybody ever had to make a move like this? I don't know whether it seems like a strangely regressive step that might just irritate my parents who thought they were rid of me.
    Sounds like you need to think about why you chose to leave in the first place.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 16 Jan 2014 18:59:11 505 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was straight out of university and look for work and this was the preferable.

I'm more concerned that working so far from people I'm meant to interacting with each day will damage my career prospects. I'll only crop up on people's radar when I'm forced to travel north for meetings.

We had a round of redundancies recently and although I survived there's always the feeling you need to make sure you're useful.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2014 19:57:50
    Working at distance from people, especially if you need information or need to influence them, is a pain in the arse and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone unless you love driving the same long road regularly or you have no other option.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Next