Moving to London Page 2

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• MikeP 13 Apr 2007 21:26:47 1,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Go Norf my son. I have lived in North London all my life (bar a few years in Bath) and would suggest you look to Highgate, Muswell Hill, Crouch End, East Finchley. If you can get anywhere near Hampstead heath then that's a bonus. As for Camden...if you are young and willing to put up with the crack heads fine..otherwise do what I always did and visit it for gigs/pubs etc then leave to more welcome climbs.

Ah, Crouch End. Royston Vasey for middle-class people. They look at you funny and then run you over with their massive baby-trikes. :-)

Crap transport into town, but great for food. Best butchers in North London I reckon (Morleys).

Totally agree with staying North. Used to live between Crouch End and Highgate, near the Winchester Hall tavern. Crouch End's a lot more lively than Highgate.

• THFourteen 13 Apr 2007 21:44:57 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    www.findaproperty.co.uk

s'what i used.

go live next to the emirates :)
  • Deleted user 13 April 2007 21:58:38
    North London's a fucking shithole. Well, apart from the areas that the Middle Classes have territorialised, of course. But you can't afford those. :)

Personally I spent a year in Wood Green and then I moved South ASAP (mostly to be closer to work) and haven't ever gone back North. I've lived in Battersea, Clapham, Fulham (briefly, yuk), Putney and Barnes(ish).

To be honest, wherever you look you'll be shown overpriced and soul-destroyingly rough hellholes, and you'll be shown a place you really like. When you see the place you really like, take it there and then if you can. If you want them you HAVE to be quick. As in, don't bother buying Loot and calling the next day - just get online and call every ad that sounds promising.

DISCLAIMER: I'm well aware that South London has its eyesores too. I'm just biased.

Edited by Owen-B at 21:59:40 13-04-2007
  • deem 13 Apr 2007 22:40:33 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 14 Apr 2007 13:53:14 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers for all the info guys.
    Got plenty of time to look around and get a feel for things as I've got a month left where I am and will commute for the first month in the new job (Starting work at 10 helps!)
  • MisterFalseName 14 Apr 2007 14:00:33 988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've recently moved to London for my first job (on a delightful "you've got to be kidding" salary of 15k a year) and amazingly I'm actually finding it quite livable.

Currently in Vauxhall (which may explain a lot - I don't know) but am moving to Canada Water in June, which seems very nice for what I'll be paying.
  • heyyo 14 Apr 2007 14:02:54 14,374 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    [ Generic don't move to motherfucking dangerous East London post ]
  • Deleted user 14 April 2007 14:18:05
    MisterFalseName wrote:
    I've recently moved to London for my first job (on a delightful "you've got to be kidding" salary of 15k a year) and amazingly I'm actually finding it quite livable.
    People starting out in telly as a runner generally have to live on around 10,000. Some don't even get paid that, as they are hoodwinked/guilted into accepting the 'well you'll be short term work-experience so technically we don't have to pay you anything but here, have a tenner a week for your expenses' bullshit (which is usually illegal).
  • Deleted user 14 April 2007 14:20:01
    deem wrote:
    TBH, all the places south you've listed are pretty crappy though. Primrose Hill, Hampstead, Canonbury, Islington, Highbury, Highgate, Crouch End Muswell Hill etc etc etc are all much, much nicer than any areas south that are on the tube.

South London as in Chislehurst is lovely, but everywhere you mentioned is pretty crap. The problem you had with North London is living in the hell hole that is Wood Green.

Best parts of North London >>>>>>> Best parts of South London buy so much it's almost unfair.
    Wouldn't know. While I was in North London I could never afford to even lay a foot in those areas really, let alone live there in any comfort whatsoever. Like I say, my staff job forced me South although now I'm freelance I could technically go anywhere. We have found a nice affordable flat in a very green, very accessible area of South London near the river, though, so we're sticking here until we can afford to either buy something outside London, or rent property anywhere even nicer.
  • MisterFalseName 14 Apr 2007 14:20:49 988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, I accept it could be worse - but most the jobs I was applying for paid that outside of London, so I had to think quite hard over whether or not it was workable.

In fact, that ad said "up to 15,000", but I worked out I was the last candidate left and that it would cost them a fair bit to advertise again, so asked for the full whack and got it. :)
  • Deleted user 14 April 2007 14:27:42
    Nicely done! I was on 15k for a few years and found it workable. Before I went freelance a few weeks ago, I was on 24k and was more than happy with that really. Can rent a nice place for that and have plenty left over to, er, pay off debts or splooge on games I don't have time to play... ;)
  • DevilsKebab 29 Apr 2007 08:30:16 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of bumpage here...

Went to see a few places yesterday and one of the nicer flats I was shown was in E8. Just behind the high street in Hackney.
    The only downside I can see to this area initially is lack of tube stations in the area, but that's not a significant problem.

But guys 'n gals, what's the area like in your opinions?
  • deem 29 Apr 2007 08:58:59 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 29 Apr 2007 09:18:37 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was just taken on a jolly jaunt by the agency person in her car and had no idea where I was. As I said the flat seemed very nice and I only found out where is was this morning when I checked the postcode.
    This is the problem moving so somewhere you know very little about other than the touristy areas!
  • deem 29 Apr 2007 09:31:24 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 29 Apr 2007 09:56:32 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Have a look on findaproperty.com for the areas I mentioned.
    I'll do that for sure.
    I'm back in London next weekend for another viewing, I'll try to cram a few more from those areas if I can.
    Luckily I'm in no rush to get a place (new job will allow me to start the day at 10 so commuting is not a problem and I'm on a months notice at my current place) so I can sit it out for the perfect one for me.
  • snick 29 Apr 2007 09:57:11 240 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All this talk of north vs south is just appeasement for the masses, West is best.

Having said that my bird lives in Crouch End and you know what, its ok.. very handy for Old Street too where I was working until Friday. Hackney, according to people at work is not the shit hole its made out to be, fat chance of finding me there tho.

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2229-3515

• Razz 29 Apr 2007 10:00:58 60,785 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Come and keep Razz company in Notting Hill!

Notting Hill > *

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Load_2.0 29 Apr 2007 10:07:01 18,948 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    West for the win! Razz is right, Notting Hill is the business especially for pubs cafes and restaurants. I also rate Clapham for the same reasons.
  • deem 29 Apr 2007 10:19:15 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 29 Apr 2007 10:30:53 66,726 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh North London
    Oh North London
    Is Wonderful
    Is Wonderful
    Oh North London is Wonderful
    It's full of tits, fanny and Arsenal
    Oh North London is Wonderful

:)

Actually, aside from my football team, not a fan of North London. South is much nicer imo. Clapham, Balham and even little old Streatham Hill where I live is fine and dandy. Just ignore my thread below! :)

Edited by Dougs at 10:31:21 29-04-2007
  • Deleted user 29 April 2007 10:32:16
    deem wrote:
    There is a reason why the only celebs that live in South London are So Solid Crew...
    Well if you're going to gauge the level of loveliness of an area by how many Jude Laws live in your postcode, you win.

I, on the other hand, value being as far away from those types of people as possible. :)
  • monkeymagic 29 Apr 2007 10:43:23 274 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    deem wrote:
    There is a reason why the only celebs that live in South London are So Solid Crew...
    Well if you're going to gauge the level of loveliness of an area by how many Jude Laws live in your postcode, you win.

I, on the other hand, value being as far away from those types of people as possible. :)

+1

Living in South London isn't nearly as bad as some people here say it is, and I live in New Cross! And most of the places listed by others in North London simply aren't affordable. Speaking of affordable,

MisterFalseName: How the hell do you manage to live in Vauxhall/Canada Water on 15k a year!? I earn around that and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get anything round there.
  • Clive_Dunn 29 Apr 2007 11:08:41 4,775 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It really depends on what you want to do in London - pubs / clubs every night means you are probably better off going fairly central, if you are past that stage then living further out would probably be a better option.

Personally I loved Winchmore Hill when I was there, very pricey though. Muswell Hill is also very nice, as are some parts of Enfield. Going South, Clapham / Battersea is great for both local stuff to do and transport links into Central London.
  • DevilsKebab 29 Apr 2007 11:27:04 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've never been the pub/club type anyway, being a non-drinker and all...
    But I've always been the type to live close to the centre of the cities I've lived in. I just like being close to everything that's going on.
    I tend to do a lot more of things like conventions, festivals and live music.
    All I've ever really known of London, like most visitors, is zone one.
  • MisterFalseName 29 Apr 2007 12:01:03 988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkeymagic wrote:
    MisterFalseName: How the hell do you manage to live in Vauxhall/Canada Water on 15k a year!? I earn around that and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get anything round there.

Vauxhall - I pay 320 a month on a bedsit including everything bar electricity. It's about three minutes walk from Vauxhall station, which is handy for my work.

Canda Water (Actually its going to be closer to Rotherhithe...) - I'll be sharing with three other people ;)

Nice house though, and delighted to have our own postbox rather than sharing - I can join a game rental serice without fear of theft!

Edited by MisterFalseName at 12:02:38 29-04-2007
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 29 Apr 2007 12:19:41 7,004 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can I chip in with Brixton as a place to live? I lived there for 3 years and it's a great place to live, despite the reputation bandied around by people who have never lived there.

It's got some excellent bars and clubs, loads of great restaurants as has nearby Herne Hill and Clapham, the Ritzy Cinema is a great community cinema showing arthouse and mainstream flicks, the Brixton Academy is one of the best gig venues in the city. There's Brockwell Park which is a lovely and also has a outdoor pool - great for the summer!. It also where the Lambeth County Fair in July which is brilliant fun and, come Bonfire Night, they host a great fireworks display and you can see across London the hundreds of other displays going on.

Transport into town easy on the Victoria Line or there's hundreds of buses.

The best place to live is in the V between Brixton Hill and Herne Hill.
  • markypants 29 Apr 2007 12:29:46 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi there DevilsKebab,

I live Oop Norf in Crouch End/Hornsey. Brilliant place to live, great transport links (don't know what the geezer saying it was rubbish is on about?!) we've got Main line station in Hornsey direct to Kings Cross and about 5 min walk to Turnpike Lnae station which is Piccadilly and in 20 min you're in Piccadilly Circus. I work way over in West London and it takes me about 40 mins into work.

Check out this place: http://www.newrivervillage.co.uk/

They have loads of flats to rent and have an on site gym, restaurant and concierge. It is 5-10 min walk to Turnpike lane station or 5 min walk to Hornsey Station which is 10-15 mins into Kings cross.

You're basically sat between Crouch End/Muswell Hill and it is easy as a short walk or quick bus into either.

Been here 2 years and it's amazing. In that time 3 of my mates have moved here as well.

Good luck.

M

PS - Sorry about spelling am typing like a spazz today.
  • markypants 29 Apr 2007 12:37:36 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just wanted to add (as my wife just pointed this out), we were out last night in Old street area and had to get a bus (141 from Turnpike lane to Old Street - took 35 mins) so even if the rail service goes down (which in London... It usually does - Northern line is rubbish) buses would be easy for you from here.

Went to Cargo's in Shoreditch, great night!

M
  • Page

of 12 First / Last