Moving to London Page 5

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• bloke 6 May 2007 10:08:29 1,489 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DevilsKebab wrote:
    Well guys, I spent another day looking at flats and two of the six were worth considering.

Goldhurst Terrace,
    and

Maygrove Road

So, opinions please guys to help me make a decision by Tuesday...

Cheers in advance.

Well - you can walk to Waitrose from Maygrove Raod.

Which just about says it all - it's either a clincher or a dealbreaker :-)
  • DevilsKebab 6 May 2007 14:57:56 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, it seems Kilburn tube station is actually in Brondesbury according to various maps...
    Is that better or worse than Kilburn itself?

• ChrisJon 6 May 2007 21:28:25 22 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    get ready with traffic and commuters!

but this area is quite nice if you're single and don't mind the busy city. i suggest u also check out where the clubs, cafe's, gyms, theatres are... go where your interests are of close proximity!
  • DevilsKebab 8 May 2007 08:25:17 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just a bit of bumpage for the weekday guys....
    Any further advice before I made a decision today would be greatfully received.
  • StringBeanJean 8 May 2007 15:49:00 1,777 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi DevilsKebab - i'm from PT too and i moved to London recently. I moved to New Cross as its near to where I work but i wouldn't reccommend that if you've got a bit of cash together as it is ain all honesty a bit of a dive. If you've got any money move to Angel/islington area. Nice and central and not too pricey and plenty to do.

Do I know you? I always expect to know people from PT. My name's Welly really.

• Razz 8 May 2007 15:56:33 61,391 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OMG! Goldhurst Terrace! NO FUCKING WAY??! :D I run a Kickboxing Studio with a mate just by the roundabout on Fairhazel. :D

Edited by Razz at 15:58:33 08-05-2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• DevilsKebab 8 May 2007 16:52:16 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just confirmed, I've got the flat at Goldhurst Terrace and will be moving in on the 9th of next month.
    WOOT!

Razz, the flat is on the corner of the junction of Fairhazel Gardens and Goldhurst...groovy

And StingBranJean, what part of PT you from?
    I'm a Sandfields kinda guy, not lived there for a long long time though. Moved away to uni 13 years ago now.
  • Spanky 8 May 2007 17:11:06 14,525 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whens the pissup then? :p

Plubs

• DevilsKebab 8 May 2007 17:20:44 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, the weekend I'm moving in no doubt I'll go out and buy my mates a beer or two for helping me move.
    Then the weekend after I'm inviting a few people over from the horror film festival I attend every year to eat junk, drink and watch horror movies (Yes, HUGE horror movie fan) and if any London based EGers want to meet up for a drink just let me know!
  • angeltreats 8 May 2007 17:23:37 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's the horror film festival? I would love that!

Good luck for your move btw :-)
  • DevilsKebab 8 May 2007 17:34:53 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    What's the horror film festival? I would love that!

Good luck for your move btw :-)

http://www.frightfest.co.uk
    And you'd be very pleased to know if you went along you'd not be the only female there. Still a minority but last count there was about 10.

The main event happens over bank holiday weekend in August and will be about 30 or so movies over 4 days.
    And it happens in Leicester Square

Edited by DevilsKebab at 17:35:55 08-05-2007
  • MrWonderstuff 8 May 2007 21:58:16 1,939 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh you moving to Finchley Road area? Know it well. Used to work round there for ages. Nice roads at the back. Finchley Road is a noisy place. However a small hop, skip and you are in Hampstead ..you're in closer to West Hampstead I think. The difference between Hampstead and West Hampstead is like um...black is to white (nearly) ;-)

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 21:59:00 08-05-2007
  • StringBeanJean 9 May 2007 00:20:02 1,777 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm from Town, near Tesco's. You're a bit older and from the estate so doubtful we know eachother. Still, good to hear from a fellow PT bloke. Have fun in London (where the air is actually worse than PT)! I had a cold for three months after mving here!
  • DevilsKebab 9 May 2007 08:37:45 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    I'm from Town, near Tesco's. You're a bit older and from the estate so doubtful we know eachother. Still, good to hear from a fellow PT bloke. Have fun in London (where the air is actually worse than PT)! I had a cold for three months after mving here!

You lie, the air cannot possibly be worst than PT!
    I simply cannot believe it to be true.

So what brought you to the big smoke?
  • StringBeanJean 9 May 2007 11:42:34 1,777 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The girlfriend, basically. We were long distancing it after uni as she lived in London and I was in PT/Bristol. So after two years of only seeing her every other wweekend (and spending a fortune on train fares) I decided to move and get a job here. Also, I like the place. There's loads to do and so on.

And of course, now I've got here, it looks like she's leaving for abroad in a few months!

Seriously, the air in London made me actually ill when I first got here. But at least it doesn't smell as bad as PT.
  • DevilsKebab 9 May 2007 13:27:42 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    But at least it doesn't smell as bad as PT.

You had me worried for a while!

I'm getting very excited about the whole thing now. I will be a total tourist for a few months though...
    Museums, Galleries, the Zoo
    It's going to be great
  • deem 9 May 2007 13:33:01 31,641 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 9 May 2007 13:36:53 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:

You'll be a tourist for years, not months.

I had a walk down to Trafalgar Square with my son on Saturday, and it didn't feel like we had just 'popped in to town' for a walk, it actually felt like we had gone out for the day - even though I was kind of 'where we live'.

8 or so years now, and I still feel amazement every time I get near the Thames - especially at night time.

Providing you live somewhere you are happy, London is an absolutely wonderful place to live.

Part of me is a little gutted...
    When I went to the interview for the job I got I also went to another company and they were based on Strand.
    They were keen on myself and one other candidate but dragged their feet on a decision while the other company made me an offer very quickly. That forced my hand.
    I could have been working in a place where I could go sit in Trafalgar Square for lunch!

Edited by DevilsKebab at 13:37:22 09-05-2007
  • JuanKerr 9 May 2007 13:38:03 36,311 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:
    DevilsKebab wrote:
    StringBeanJean wrote:
    But at least it doesn't smell as bad as PT.

You had me worried for a while!

I'm getting very excited about the whole thing now. I will be a total tourist for a few months though...
    Museums, Galleries, the Zoo
    It's going to be great

You'll be a tourist for years, not months.

I had a walk down to Trafalgar Square with my son on Saturday, and it didn't feel like we had just 'popped in to town' for a walk, it actually felt like we had gone out for the day - even though I was kind of 'where we live'.

8 or so years now, and I still feel amazement every time I get near the Thames - especially at night time.

Providing you live somewhere you are happy, London is an absolutely wonderful place to live.

Totally agree with you - me and my girlfriend lived in Harrow on the Hill for a year (really nice place to live) and every time we used to go into town (pretty much every week), it felt like a proper day out.

London is fantastic and I absolutely love it. The South Bank is my favourite area at the moment - love going to Borough market for food and then wandering along past the Globe, Tate and up to Blackfriars.
  • deem 9 May 2007 13:45:24 31,641 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 9 May 2007 13:49:27 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Someone should go and make a Google MyMaps of these places so we can all share the love...
    Well, so I can find them anyway
  • JuanKerr 9 May 2007 13:57:26 36,311 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    London is fantastic and I absolutely love it. The South Bank is my favourite area at the moment - love going to Borough market for food and then wandering along past the Globe, Tate and up to Blackfriars.

I practically live down Bermondsey Street at the mo.

If you haven't checked out Manzes Pie and Mash shop yet, go there NOW.

Just ask for 2 & 2.

Village East is our venue for Friday afternoon meetings, which is also great. As is The Hide, The Hartley Bar & Dining Rooms, The Woolpack, Bermondsey Kitchen, The Bridge House, and my fave, The Garrison (wifi).

Manzes Pie and Mash shop, eh? I've never heard of it to be honest, but next time I'm down that way, I'll check it out.

We've never really ventured off the river bank, mainly because we don't really know which places to go for. Cheers for the suggestions.
  • deem 9 May 2007 14:01:17 31,641 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MrWonderstuff 9 May 2007 19:00:12 1,939 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heard good things about that Pie and Mash shop...must visit it soon.

Oh I assume 2x2 is two dollops of mash and two sausages?
  • markypants 9 May 2007 19:56:54 2,733 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I feel much more part of Crouch End now I have a buggy to push around, though I'm still frowned upon slightly as it has 4 wheels rather than three.

:)

Either of you guys been to the Farmers Market at the entrance to Ally Pally?

Went there on Sunday for the first time in ages and it's bloody fantastic.

Late reply... Yes I live 5 mins walk from there and pop along for the odd pack of sausages or bottle of ginger cider. It's a nice community round here I think, I know loads of locals and restaurant owners... It's a top place to live.

Deem - Have you been to The Pumphouse yet? (and before you ask I STILL haven't been to The Triangle but I WILL!!) Also found a great cheap but friendly Italian called Mauro's on Priory Road next door to Viva Viva. I don't usually do that sort of place, but the food is fantastic and after you've had a large meal, polished of a fair few bottle of beer and the bill is still smaller than a midgets jock strap... Got to be good!

• deem 9 May 2007 20:02:49 31,641 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DevilsKebab 10 May 2007 09:10:09 653 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now this whole Pie and Mash thing....is it just pie and mash, or do they also put gravy over it?
  • deem 10 May 2007 09:29:43 31,641 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • DaisyD 10 May 2007 09:41:28 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, without reading all the pages, when are you moving down?

Will be good to meet you at the Bank holiday meet.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last