Progrocktasticness!! Rush are back in the UK. Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Megapocalypse 13 Jun 2012 10:14:48 5,443 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Monday? Sure I looked on amazon/play and they both had it listed for July.
  • FanBoysSuck 13 Jun 2012 10:24:07 1,486 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Monday? Sure I looked on amazon/play and they both had it listed for July.
    Strange, my classic rock edition turned up from amazon yesterday. Maybe they're just out of stock?

For the emperor!

• FuzzyDuck 13 Jun 2012 12:34:42 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, it came out on Monday in a limited release via the Classic Rock Fanpack magazine, it gets its proper, general release in July sometime.

The shop has my magazine ordered for tomorrow, and i must say, i'm dreadfully excited :D
  • FuzzyDuck 14 Jun 2012 22:54:14 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got my Clockwork Angels fanpack magazine today - the mag is a fantastic read for any Rush fans, while the album itself is hands down the best thing they've done since the 80s. On my 5th playthrough of it right now, immense stuff! :D
  • FanBoysSuck 14 Jun 2012 23:17:51 1,486 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agreed on ever count sir! I found the production side of things to be the most interesting, it explains the heavier sound of the last two albums.

I can't wait to hear it live next year!

For the emperor!

• FuzzyDuck 16 Jun 2012 14:17:29 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Indeed! I can't think of many bands this far into their career still releasing music, le alone music that sounds fresh and vital! The mag has some pretty insightful stuff for sure.Looking forward to hearing the remixed Vapour Trails for one!

That MP that they have commenting on 2112 in the magazine, is he the same guy that insisted on wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt into parliament?
  • boo 17 Jun 2012 23:29:33 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have just listened to it for the umpteenth time since picking up the fan pack on Monday. Early standouts for me are Headlong Flight (partly due to familiarity as it was the advance single, and partly due to the awesome half-time chorus), and The Garden, which is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Rush songs, full stop.

Very pleased with the album as a whole - no duffers as far as I can see, though it'll take a while for all the tunes to get lodged in my head. Some complex stuff going on in there!

Big shout out to Hugh Syme - the booklet artwork is fantastic, though one thing baffles me. Under Syme's credit, the late Andrew MacNaughtan gets a credit for Band portrait, but try as I might, I can't see it. I wondered if they might be snuck into the back of one of the paintings, but not as far as I can tell.

Roll on the tour!

Just Another Lego Blog

• FuzzyDuck 18 Jun 2012 03:15:46 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @boo

I was having a good peruse of the magazine and booklet last night when i thought the exact same thing (about the apparent lack of band portrait). Maybe it's in the standard jewel case tray and they forgot to omit it from the credits?

Got a few other albums in the post this week (some Soft Machine, Cynic/Portal, Yob, Dillinger Escape Plan and Winterhawk) and none of them bar the Winterhawk album are getting a look in because of Clockwork Angels (and i reckon Winterhawk are only getting a decent go because they remind me a bit of Rush circa A Farewell To Kings!).

Personal highlights so far are The Anarchist and The Wreckers. Two totally different songs ticking very different boxes, but both fantastic. I'm willing to go out on a limb though and say it's their most consistent album since Moving Pictures.

For a band this far into their career to be producing material is a heck of a feat in itslef, but to be producing material of this quality is almost unheard of. Bravo sirs :D
  • boo 18 Jun 2012 16:48:44 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuzzy...

Going to try the novel when it comes out?

I'm not familiar with Anderson's work, but might be worth a go.

Just Another Lego Blog

• DaM 18 Jun 2012 18:53:33 13,265 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Please don't hate me, but I haven't listened to any new Rush material since that album with the big red balls...maybe 1989?

What are the highlights since? I almost downloaded 2112 recently, but I was buggered if I was going to pay twice what it cost me on vinyl! The missus got me a USB record player at Christmas, will really have to get it fired up :)
  • Vortex808 18 Jun 2012 19:13:25 7,215 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:

What are the highlights since? I almost downloaded 2112 recently, but I was buggered if I was going to pay twice what it cost me on vinyl! The missus got me a USB record player at Christmas, will really have to get it fired up :)
    I ripped my 2112 vinyl over xmas after 'Santa' gave me one. First time I'd heard it in years.
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Jun 2012 19:26:50 1,486 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Fuzzy...

Going to try the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clockwork-Angels-Novel-Kevin-Anderson/dp/1770411216/ref=sr_1_1?s=books

EDIT : Iphone app fucked up my post :evil:

The book sounds cool but I'm waiting for reviews. I'm slightly scared some of the themes could put me off the album, especially after finding out the title track of 2112 was based on an Ayn Rand Novel.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 14:13:23 19-06-2012

For the emperor!

• boo 18 Jun 2012 22:34:55 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Please don't hate me, but I haven't listened to any new Rush material since that album with the big red balls...maybe 1989?

What are the highlights since?)
    That was Hold Your Fire from '87, which was the last of the 80's 'synth-heavy' trilogy (Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and HYF).

After that you've got...

Presto : Bit more of a balance between keyboards and guitars.

Roll The Bones : Guitars becoming more prominent. Bravado (imho) one of the best things they've ever done.

Counterparts : A good mix of hard rock with a fantastic rock ballad (Nobody's Hero).

Test For Echo : This one takes a while to get into, but rewards repeated listening.

Vapor Trails : The controversial one. This came after a 5 year gap, when Peart lost both his daughter and his wife. Many people thought Rush were dead. This was riff-heavy and tune-light, and the mixing/engineering is dubious, meaning it suffers from 'loudness', making it (in some people's opinion) hard to listen to. My least favourite album, but plenty of people rate it.

Snakes And Arrows : Storming return to form! One of the best albums of their career for me.

Clockwork Angels : Still getting used to it, but it's shaping up to be a gem. It's also a concept album (Steampunk), if that interests you.

If I was going to buy three of the above... well I wouldn't, I'd buy them all, but if you were going to buy three, I'd recommend Roll The Bones, Snakes & Arrows, and then it would be a toss up between Counterparts and Clockwork Angels.

In preparation for the new album, I went back and listened to everything, from Rush to SAA, and I've got to say, there's a not a single album there that isn't top notch. Vapor Trails might have it's problems, but there are some diamonds in the waste (and it's apparently being remixed as we speak).

Treat yourself to all of them - you're unlikely to be disappointed.

Just Another Lego Blog

• FuzzyDuck 18 Jun 2012 23:37:11 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DaM

Well, considering i wasn't long out of nappies when you got your last album and only got into them in 2005, it's much of a muchness really! :D

Have a look around Amazon - the folks who come up as the cheapest sellers most of the time (allyourmusic), ship from America and i've got stuff from them quicker than from sellers in England! (i'm in Ireland)

Boo gave a pretty good rundown of the available post-HYF material. I'd fall into the camp that reckons 'Vapor Trails' is a cracking album of music, but as stated, the production job on it is kinda nasty, really fatiguing to listen to, with absolutely nothing in terms of dynamics and becomes hard to recommend. So i'd go for Snakes & Arrows, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels! Happy listening :D

Boo, yeah, not my usual cuppa, but i do enjoy me some sci-fi, so the book my well end up on my 'birthday list' that's being compiled!

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 23:38:43 18-06-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Jun 2012 16:02:41 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably the best thing they've done since Moving Pictures, and go even further out and say that it's as good as it in places.
  • boo 25 May 2013 00:59:26 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woohoo!

Just got back from the o2, where Rush have rolled into town with the Clockwork Angels tour.

Geddy's voice ain't what it was 25 years ago, but that was without doubt the best set I've ever seen them do. Old stuff, plenty of the new album (with an 8 piece string section on stage) and best, from my point of view, a shedload of stuff from the 80's. Oodles of songs from Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Roll The Bones.
    Plus 2112!

And 2.5 drum solos.

Fan-bloody-tastic!

Just Another Lego Blog

• FuzzyDuck 25 May 2013 16:38:44 4,199 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aww man, I'm not jealous at all, I swear!

To be honest, I'm kinda miffed they didn't come back to Ireland; they got a rapturous welcome when they played here in 2011.
  • Pinky_Floyd 25 May 2013 17:12:22 7,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flying over to Glasgow from Belfast next week for this, can't wait!
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 May 2013 14:01:41 7,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Soooooo. I'm currently living it large in Glasgow incorporating a mini break in readiness for the gig tomorrow night.

Anyone else going along?
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 May 2013 14:05:42 7,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double post, soz.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 14:06:13 29-05-2013
  • boo 29 May 2013 14:11:15 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoy it, Pinky. I thought it was great. A few reviews have complained about the 80's bias, but I loved it.

We were supposed to be going to Wembley tonight to see a Whitesnake / Journey double header, but Mrs Boo is tres poorly, so going to have to miss it.

Just Another Lego Blog

• andytheadequate 29 May 2013 14:36:44 8,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Enjoy it, Pinky. I thought it was great. A few reviews have complained about the 80's bias, but I loved it.

We were supposed to be going to Wembley tonight to see a Whitesnake / Journey double header, but Mrs Boo is tres poorly, so going to have to miss it.
    I've just done the same gigs. Rush were brilliant but I was a bit disappointed that a few of my favourites weren't played. No closer to the heart or working man! Or the trees! Or limelight!

Anyway, I really enjoyed Journey, but found Whitesnake horribly dull. They're really generic hair metal with repetitive lyrics. I quite like their early bluesy stuff but shite like 'is this love' is just appalling
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 May 2013 14:39:11 7,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks chaps. My wife went to the Journey gigs here in Belfast, mostly to see Thunder who as always were apparently brilliant. Whitesnake were a bit poop apparently and to quote my wife about Journey she "just couldn't get into it with a four foot Chinese man singing" lol

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 14:39:32 29-05-2013
  • andytheadequate 29 May 2013 14:42:56 8,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Thanks chaps. My wife went to the Journey gigs here in Belfast, mostly to see Thunder who as always were apparently brilliant. Whitesnake were a bit poop apparently and to quote my wife about Journey she "just couldn't get into it with a four foot Chinese man singing" lol
    Apparently Thunder are good live but unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the gig in time to see them. And Arnel Pineda is a brilliant singer, but he does look about 12...
  • Pinky_Floyd 29 May 2013 14:44:37 7,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Apparently Thunder are good live but unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the gig in time to see them. And Arnel Pineda is a brilliant singer, but he does look about 12...
    Thunder are first class mate. I saw them live in 92 at Donington. Check out their music if you haven't already. One of the best rock bands we have produced here in Blighty.
  • andytheadequate 29 May 2013 14:57:19 8,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd - I've listened to a few of their cds, but I only remember a few of their more famous songs
  • FanBoysSuck 29 May 2013 18:12:21 1,486 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I saw Rush for the third time on Sunday at the LG Arena. Great gig, although it was the weakest show of the three. I just don't see them topping the tour with the south park skits.

There was also an issue with the sound levels in the first half of the show, it was really quiet and distorted. The sorted it out by the interval thankfully.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 18:12:58 29-05-2013

For the emperor!

• jonsaan 29 May 2013 18:15:50 25,353 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    He is a great singer but he's no Steve Perry.

FCUTA!

• boo 20 Aug 2013 15:53:13 11,794 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After it being rumoured for years, Rush have finally remixed Vapor Trails.

Out on Sept 30th.

Edited by boo at 15:53:28 20-08-2013

Just Another Lego Blog

• ronuds 20 Aug 2013 16:02:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never been a huge fan, but they still got it!

Did you see their performance when being inducted into the R&R HoF?

• Page

of 4 First / Last