of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jun 2014 10:12:08 7,653 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • mikew1985 18 Jun 2014 11:10:13 14,440 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had a massive performance improvement over N on my AC router but I went for the Netgear Nighthawk so it is a relatively high spec consumer one whereas previously I was using comparatively crap routers.

I'd say go for it but don't buy the TP Link Archer C7. AC band doesn't actually work on it and they're releasing a completely overhauled router called the C8 instead.

I had the C7 for a few months and performance wasn't great and then I got some AC devices and the 5Ghz band just flat out didn't work.

Upon some investigation this was a common issue and TP Link seemed incapable of fixing it due to the chip-set they decided to utilise.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Jun 2014 14:29:59 7,653 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finally went with the Asus N66U, no AC for me.
  • THFourteen 21 Nov 2014 09:22:19 45,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just ordered an Asus AC66U. Couldn't justify the extra for the 68U which i think is 600MBps/1.3GBps vs 450/1.3

Its payday and i need to start stockpiling goodies before the mrs stops getting paid on maternity leave and i am po.
  • iancognito 21 Nov 2014 09:24:45 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Just ordered an Asus AC66U. Couldn't justify the extra for the 68U which i think is 600MBps/1.3GBps vs 450/1.3

Its payday and i need to start stockpiling goodies before the mrs stops getting paid on maternity leave and i am po.
    Good thinking. Don't want her going Dipsy at you.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2014 09:30:00
    I've got an N66U (non-AC) and absolutely adore it. Got a TP-Link wireless card with 3 antennae for my PC and get 20MB/s file transfers on my internal network on the floor below my router, which is good enough for me (although I do miss the 80+ transfers when everything was wired)

I'm not the biggest online player out there, but have had a smooth online experience whenever I do play. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to recommend it
  • THFourteen 21 Nov 2014 09:39:37 45,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did you put DD-WRT on it?

I actually have a £20 TPLink N/300MBPS router that i put DD-WRT on a year ago. I'm astounded at how good it is, haven't had to restart it more than 3 times in 12 months compared to routers i had previously which needed restarting at least once per week.

Only issue with it is its not dual band, so i don't get the benefit of having devices like my samsung S5 connect to the 5ghz spectrum which is silly when Virgin are giving me 100mbps internet.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2014 09:47:07
    Nah, I went with Merlin's firmware for a while then back to the stock. Merlin's was great, but didn't really have anything extra I needed, and Asus tend to nick features from him every now and again anyway (they even admit to it in their firmware release notes!)
    I love just being able to log into the router and check for new firmware from there

I put DD-WRT on my WRT54GS router back in the day... Now THAT was a kickass router for its time!!

Edited by dfunked at 09:49:04 21-11-2014
  • THFourteen 24 Nov 2014 07:51:59 45,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Set up my router last night on DD-WRT

Finally getting some value out of my virgin connection, wireless to lappy getting 90mbps in the lounge on 5ghz, and 45mbps on 2.4

Also steam in home streaming virtually flawless with pc connected via home plugs to wifi lappy
  • monkman76 24 Nov 2014 08:19:42 11,663 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I actually have a £20 TPLink N/300MBPS router that i put DD-WRT on a year ago. I'm astounded at how good it is, haven't had to restart it more than 3 times in 12 months compared to routers i had previously which needed restarting at least once per week.
    I have a £20 TP-Link router that I keep meaning to put DD-WRT on as it seems to stop assigning dynamic IPs on a regular basis, but then I think I should just buy a better router as there are probably 20 devices that connect to it now. Your post may have inspired me!
  • Deleted user 24 November 2014 08:52:13
    @THFourteen
    Glad to hear home streaming is working well for you with WiFi added to the equation... At the moment my gaming PC is in a cold cramped office downstairs connected to 5Ghz WiFi and I've got a media PC in the sitting room connected to the router via a network cable, so I reckon I'll start making more use of home streaming if it works well for me (in the winter months at least)
    Annoyingly this won't work for the two main games I'm looking forward to though (TW3 and Elite Dangerous)

Edited by dfunked at 08:55:25 24-11-2014
  • THFourteen 24 Nov 2014 09:19:54 45,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why not? I was hoping to play ED via in home streaming.

(You know you can stream non-steam games through in home streaming?)
  • Deleted user 24 November 2014 09:42:33
    Oh, cool... Pretty sure that wasn't possible when I last checked it out much earlier in the year.. Happy days!
  • THFourteen 24 Nov 2014 10:14:52 45,759 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah it definitely works now, just add the non-steam game to your library. I was playing FIFA streamed last night (utterly pointless as i can play it on my laptop anyway lol).

Might build a small form factor PC for the lounge some point next year.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Aug 2017 05:51:13 1,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Old thread, same question!

My current router, TP Link Archer C7, just fried in a massive lightning storm.

It worked fine, was generally fast, came out in best general routers in loads of roundups when I last looked (still does), but I am wondering about a bit of an upgrade. Wondering about triband and MU-MIMO. On the other hand, pretty much everything is connected by cables (Tv, xbox, powerline to PC), so does it matter? I do have the open standard play-fi, a sonos equivalent, for music over wifi.

Any views from the hive mind?

Edited by Technoishmatt at 05:51:41 13-08-2017
  • Tonka 13 Aug 2017 07:46:57 26,257 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I usually look at which router won the Best router of the Year the previous year and but that (since it usually has come down in price)

Rinse repeat every fifth year or so.

All the way to the edge and then back a step. That's the sweet spot for me.
  • HarryB 13 Aug 2017 10:15:56 7,108 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really liked my Asus N66U
    Moved onto TPLink Archer C7 V2 about a year ago and found it pretty lacklustre
    Had to keep resetting it every week or so as devices would stop connecting

I got lazy and purchased Google Wifi and also hooked up an 8 port switch to one of the units.

Haven't pissed round in settings for months, no disconnections, never had to reboot, worth the money.

Edited by HarryB at 10:16:16 13-08-2017
  • greg_wha 13 Aug 2017 11:10:39 954 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    I really liked my Asus N66U
    I'd second this, still running one with 2 4 way switches on a cable connection and it's rock solid.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Aug 2017 15:05:33 1,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers, guys. I might go Asus, for dem features. Not sure I trust google with my information :)
  • Technoishmatt 13 Aug 2017 20:33:52 1,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Went for the Netgear R6400. Last year's top high end model. I decided I really dont need all the newer fancy wifi bells and whistles, seeing as most of my stuff is wired.

It has much improved advanced settings over the TP Link Archer C7, pleased so far! Although getting it to like my modem took a bunch of restarts (i didnt read the manual which says to first power cycle the modem, and it messed things up).
  • Fake_Blood 13 Aug 2017 23:11:54 7,653 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kind of annoyed with my asus N66U. It now randomly jumps channels because of new regulations (DFS), and to make matters worse, you can't run DD-wrt anymore because the new firmware won't let you flash non certified firmware.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.