Depression Page 4

• Page

of 142 First / Last

• AHiFi 26 Mar 2007 13:20:11 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Get yourself to the Campus Drs surgery... then go round the back, up the wee path through the wall and climb up to the top of the wooded hill overlooking campus (or even better, do it on a mountain bike). Then head up for the top of Dumyat, it'll make you feel much better!

I was at Stirling Uni for years, you should have no problem getting extensions for what you have described. What are you doing anyway? What hall are you in?

I'm in first year doing Journalism after taking a couple of years out after school. I'm living in the Ghetto (Geddes Court) so I'm right beside the surgery.
  • DaM 26 Mar 2007 14:31:19 12,897 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Get yourself to the Campus Drs surgery... then go round the back, up the wee path through the wall and climb up to the top of the wooded hill overlooking campus (or even better, do it on a mountain bike). Then head up for the top of Dumyat, it'll make you feel much better!

I was at Stirling Uni for years, you should have no problem getting extensions for what you have described. What are you doing anyway? What hall are you in?

I'm in first year doing Journalism after taking a couple of years out after school. I'm living in the Ghetto (Geddes Court) so I'm right beside the surgery.

Cool, I used to go out with a girl in there. 2 in fact...
    That's where they used to put all the Goths and other misfits ;)
    Shit...almost 20 years ago...seems like last year....
    Have you discovered things like the ruined chapel, the standing stone (where the nation of Scotland was formed after a battle between the Picts and Scots). We used to stoat about these places pished and out our faces all through the night, I don't think the licensing laws are as generous now...
    Have a look over the bridge, on the LHS going towards the Union, about halfway over, see if you can see the table we tipped in one night...

Memories...! Wish I was you now (without the depression obviously ;)
  • AHiFi 26 Mar 2007 15:49:15 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    DaM wrote:

Cool, I used to go out with a girl in there. 2 in fact...
    That's where they used to put all the Goths and other misfits ;)
    Shit...almost 20 years ago...seems like last year....
    Have you discovered things like the ruined chapel, the standing stone (where the nation of Scotland was formed after a battle between the Picts and Scots). We used to stoat about these places pished and out our faces all through the night, I don't think the licensing laws are as generous now...
    Have a look over the bridge, on the LHS going towards the Union, about halfway over, see if you can see the table we tipped in one night...

Memories...! Wish I was you now (without the depression obviously ;)

=] Yeah, it's still a place for misfits. Unfortunately no goths and that; just crazy buggers who I can't get along with...

And I can't see any table over the bridge but I'll have another wee look next time I'm walking around the Loch. I do like walking all over the campus; it keeps me peaceful.

Fruit_Salad - I know there are people out there worse than me; that's why I've kept quiet for so many years. I don't want to seem a burden. I can't take it anymore.

I went to see a Students' Support Service Counseller today; it helped to be able to just talk to someone. I've booked another few appointments. I got an extension on my essay too - until next monday.
  • AHiFi 26 Mar 2007 18:19:54 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Girlfriend just visited - we're through. I can't really get a hold of myself at the moment.
  • AHiFi 26 Mar 2007 22:12:56 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    Girlfriend just visited - we're through. I can't really get a hold of myself at the moment.

Too limp or your hands covered in oil? :)

Sorry, I've got a migraine, so I dont know what I'm saying and cant see what I'm typing eihger.

Like has been said, get out your house and get in the fresh air or the walls will close in on you. Go to a pub or chat to a mate or anything. Its a nice evening, grab your ipod and a book and walk down to a river or local equivalent. You need to just think of anything but you for a while.

Well, I went to Sen-no-kai (karate) instead. Helped me focus as always, but I still had to fight back the tears. I'm trying to get by, I really am. People are starting to offer their time to spend with me which is really touching and nice to know.

How are things with you Witchking? I know you were having a very bad time not too long ago. What happened with things if you don't mind me asking?
  • Micro_Explosion 27 Mar 2007 00:07:16 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good luck Witchking (and your fiancee).

Two serious posts by me in one thread. This is a first :o)
  • alexc7496 27 Mar 2007 00:08:33 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Micro_Explosion wrote:
    Good luck Witchking (and your fiancee).

Two serious posts by me in one thread. This is a first :o)

+1

Hope everything works out ok!
  • T.G. 27 Mar 2007 00:23:15 5,989 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jayzus, that's seriously heavy Witchking. :'( All the best to the both of ye. Hope it all works out well in the end. Go n-éirí an t-ádh libh!
  • MetalDog 27 Mar 2007 01:14:36 23,708 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unfortunately, knowing that other people have it worse only helps up to a point. Pain is relative - when you're having your arm gnawed off by beavers, someone pointing out that the fellow next to you is having both his legs ripped off by jackals and his liver pecked out by an eagle, is likely to only produce the internal cry of, "By MY ARM is being gnawed off!"

The only real consolation is that all things must pass. Good or bad, nothing lasts forever and just as good times pale and sour, all the bad shit fades away eventually too.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• andy-w 27 Mar 2007 01:17:11 515 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Unfortunately, knowing that other people have it worse only helps up to a point. Pain is relative - when you're having your arm gnawed off by beavers, someone pointing out that the fellow next to you is having both his legs ripped off by jackals and his liver pecked out by an eagle, is likely to only produce the internal cry of, "By MY ARM is being gnawed off!"

The only real consolation is that all things must pass. Good or bad, nothing lasts forever and just as good times pale and sour, all the bad shit fades away eventually too.

You speak nice things. Very true as well, imo.

Edited by andy-w at 01:21:12 27-03-2007
  • AHiFi 27 Mar 2007 01:39:02 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, just so you know Witchking if you ever need to talk on MSN (if you have it) then I'd be glad to give you my hotmail address. I know I probably won't help too much - but hey, sometimes you need to vent it.

And I prayed for your fiancee to pull through back then and I'll pray again for her tonight. I'm glad to hear she's still fighting. It's clear to anyone that you were both meant to be and your dedication to the situation is absolutely commendable. She has very little right now and although she is being injected with things, you are injecting her with the most important thing - hope and a future. If you can get through this and she can get through this - then you are going to have a partner for life.

You're a great guy that much I can tell; and she is a great gal for fighting through this; you are her motivation and don't you forget it.

Again, I'm gonna make another bold statement that I believe to be true - all of us forumites are here for you. One quote that I think stands true for everyone struggling to get through life:

"Let no-one walk alone, committing no sin, with very few wishes, like Elephants in the forest " - Aramaki from Ghost in the Shell 2 and maybe...someone else before him... ;)
  • AHiFi 1 Apr 2007 00:22:04 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a wee update:

- I've just finished my essay for the deferred date of Monday.

- Tried to get my ex back on Wednesday and failed.

- Attempting to be friendly with my ex, but she's being very non-responsive. (Understandable - considering I tried that on Wednesday)

- People have been really nice to me up here and Thursday was a great day due to a number of people. I had stuff to keep me busy all day and night!

- Thank you to the Eurogamer guys who have e-mailed me and offered me an ear and some support. I appreciate it.

- And thank you to everyone who has given me some advice in this thread.

I'm feeling a lot better about myself now. Not great; but enough to keep myself on the level. Thanx so much everyone! =]
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Apr 2007 00:26:50 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good luck, matey. Depression is a serious arse.
  • heyyo 1 Apr 2007 00:41:32 14,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Regarding University work, the PSU in my barely a month old PC blew up 2 hours ago.

Loud bang, a spark, smoke etc and it's tripped all the electric here in my 'rents house.

I've got a whole Semester worth of work on there, including 3 very important courseworks which i'm allowed to hand in on Monday.

I'm allowed to hand it in later because my godmother died last week and I had to go to her funeral on wednesday which made me extremely depressed. Now my PC has blown up, with all my work on it, i'm typing on a laptop in the dark feeling very pissed off.

I'll probably fail this year of Uni now that all my projects have gone, and i'm £400 into my overdraft so I won't be getting a PC for a long time :(

• blindlemonjefferson 1 Apr 2007 02:49:52 162 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    Prozac .... Good god its good stuff.
    I haven't read the rest of this thread, so maybe a discussion gets going about this. But I would like to recommend NOT using Prozac until all other possible roads to recovery have been walked, i.e. counselling etc.

I'm glad it has helped some people, I sure it may help millions in the future, but I just personally have a vendetta against the drug, and I know other people have had similar experience Let me explain:

I had what I suppose I could describe as bad but far, /far/ from life-threatening depression in my mid-teens, which mainly arose from being isolated in school & family. (aged about 14-16). A more-unhappy-than-most teenager but - however - definately a sane and in control teenager. I was pressured into getting counselling/psychiatric help by teachers/parents, I didn't refuse point-blank, I was just passive-aggresive throughout the whole process, not talking. So I went along and played along.

Unfortunately for me, the counsellor I ended up (not) talking to was like a fucking Prozac rep. Seemed she just *wanted* to put people on the drug and move on to the next patient. I didn't refuse, being this 15 year old passive-aggresive.

Well, anyway, before Prozac I was just unhappy at school and home. Once the drug kicked in: I went fucking insane. I fell into the deepest, bleakest despair I've ever felt, constantly, all day, everyday the stuff was in me; I felt that I couldn't move and I stared at a blank white wall from my bed for the better part of two months; I had this immense burden of guilt to carry and a feeling of worthlessness with no beginning or end; I didn't eat and I went down to about 7 stone; I became an insomniac, which I've never otherwise ever been; I was often in a cold sweat and my hands wouldn't stop shaking; when I did fall asleep I had a recurring nightmare, which I swear to God was worse than any Joycean vision of Hell.

As a result of all this I attempted suicide, but since it takes up to 4 weeks to get Prozac out of the system, even though I had stopped taking it I still had time to have another go: whisky and painkillers and I eneded up with quite serious liver damage.

5 years later and I'm perfectly happy. I gotta lust for life and everything I'm doing. Every single day is good. But if I ever meet Mr. Glaxo, Mr. Smith, or Mr. Kline, I will beat them to within an inch of their fucking lives. Irrational revenge, I know, but you don't know how bad the nightmare was. Ha.

Sorry for rambling, but I just want people to be careful with Prozac! I think too many people think of it as an easy fix, but it's not for everybody, and for some people it makes things worse.

To the OP: good luck mate. Just concentrate on lasting it out - remember it's beatable! My advice would be to force yourself into some /active/ activity, even if you really, really don't want to. Walking is really good. Go for a long walk - walk till you are tired, mreally tired. The likelihood is you will feel much better. Again, good luck.
  • blindlemonjefferson 1 Apr 2007 02:51:50 162 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    I'm feeling a lot better about myself now. Not great; but enough to keep myself on the level. Thanx so much everyone! =]
    Ah, this was good to read after my rather self-absorbed and generally-a-bit-downcast last post. Glad to hear it!
    :)
  • AHiFi 1 Apr 2007 04:54:52 1,665 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Regarding University work, the PSU in my barely a month old PC blew up 2 hours ago.

Loud bang, a spark, smoke etc and it's tripped all the electric here in my 'rents house.

I've got a whole Semester worth of work on there, including 3 very important courseworks which i'm allowed to hand in on Monday.

I'm allowed to hand it in later because my godmother died last week and I had to go to her funeral on wednesday which made me extremely depressed. Now my PC has blown up, with all my work on it, i'm typing on a laptop in the dark feeling very pissed off.

I'll probably fail this year of Uni now that all my projects have gone, and i'm £400 into my overdraft so I won't be getting a PC for a long time :(

Oh dear bud. =[ I'm sorry to hear all that. Contact your Uni as soon as and be honest with them about what's happened. Hopefully they will give you another week of time to try and recover things.

I hope you're okay; e-mails in my profile if you need to talk dude!
  • Introspectre 2 Apr 2007 00:53:28 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    Well, just so you know Witchking if you ever need to talk on MSN (if you have it) then I'd be glad to give you my hotmail address. I know I probably won't help too much - but hey, sometimes you need to vent it.

I am always on msn. My profile has my MSN address. Feel free to contact me. I dont like talking about my own problems these days though as I find that is a real quick way of driving off your friends.

Hope things are working out better for you and thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Talking about other peoples problems is just a way to stop focusing on your own.

My hobby at mo is finding out how long a typical friend will put up with me.

/extremely bitchy

Apparently I'm trying to spite myself.
  • captbirdseye 2 Apr 2007 01:01:29 4,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Solly wrote:
    /grabs thread firmly by the arms and shakes violently!

Get a hold of yourself you weak/stupid/emo bitches. You think YOU have problems? In the time it took me to post this there's MANY people being raped/ brutally murdered/dying to disease or hunger.

Boo-fucking-HOO!

So i guess nobody is allowed to suffer from a medical illness then ?
    Solly, i think its you that needs to grow up for being such an ignorant twat.
  • Introspectre 2 Apr 2007 01:05:09 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solly wrote:
    Logic people....L.O.G.I.C!!!!

fo
  • Introspectre 2 Apr 2007 01:09:23 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Solly wrote:
    Introspectre wrote:
    Solly wrote:
    Logic people....L.O.G.I.C!!!!

fo

fu

stfu
  • Introspectre 2 Apr 2007 01:12:31 3,274 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    You lack the courage of your conviction, sir!
  • Page

of 142 First / Last