Depression Page 129

• Page

of 143 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 17 Feb 2014 18:53:03 4,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Huzzah, I'll chime in with my own experiences of CBT, seeing as I'm not long home from a (1 on 1) session.

I've been at it since the first week of January for crippling anxiety (I'm being treated for depression too, but it's not entirely relevant to the CBT). I find the sessions draining, but of benefit. I'm already using some of the things that I learn there (I tend to have extreme panic attacks; feel like I'm having a heart attack, about to loose control, that the world is going to cave in - all of these have occurred when I was doing even the simple task of going to the local corner shop for milk).

It's starting to help me regain a bit of a social life at least. I KNOW that if I'm just hanging out with friends that nothing bad will happen, but it's a case of being able to talk myself down from that elevated state of alertness, bring back thinking about a situation rationally, then calming myself.

I find myself emptying my head and just staring into space for a few minutes every day. The weird thing is that has made me suoer comfortable about my own mortality and the insignificance of my existence.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 18 Feb 2014 00:11:02 207 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    lol that's one of my old panic attack/insomnia triggers... thinking about mortality. Some years ago now, seem to have got over that hump.

I'm curious to know if anyone has the repetitive thought symptoms; mine seems to manifest in constantly looped music sometimes. I'll have the same track in my head all day and all night for aeons before it finally disappears. It's been a while since I had it, then BLAMMO; some life-problem wound me up and Elbow's new single was stuck in my head for three days, non-stop. Genuinely kept me up all night last Tuesday.

Still, at least my anxiety has taste. :p

Edited by itsoldsquarejaw at 00:11:32 18-02-2014
  • werewolf_poo 18 Feb 2014 01:20:24 170 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well I just sat up and drank 6 whiskeys for the first time.....ever. My auld 64 year old mum said it would relax me and you know what ....it worked.

I have been anxious to the point of not eating for the last 36 hours due to my girlfriend having issues just as much as me. She hates talking about anything even close to feelings/emotions because of an unsettled upbringing. I actually think she is making up excuses to break up with me even though things 1 week ago were good. Its actually quite unsettling the change in her outlook.

But my main anxietys have always been based around being alone/rejection and not being where i want to be in life but I am feeling like I should start worrying about me for a change. I always think if I have someone its the right thing..... but maybe having someone who makes me feel good should be more of a priority from now on.

/venting
  • Deleted user 18 February 2014 01:28:52
    Single Malt?
  • werewolf_poo 18 Feb 2014 02:09:53 170 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine Of course my friend, also tried a malt with a very oaky finish.....It was awful but done the trick
  • Benno 3 Apr 2014 13:20:16 10,032 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting
  • glaeken 3 Apr 2014 13:37:50 11,223 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting. I would imagine the boundaries from a legal perspective would not be too great either as they already use Ketamine as a pain killer in hospitals.

Edited by glaeken at 13:38:10 03-04-2014
  • chopsen 3 Apr 2014 15:30:53 16,126 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ketamine's a nasty drug though. Guess the race is on to find a patentable drug that has the same benefit without making you piss your pants for the rest of your life.
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2014 15:43:21 60,477 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is kind of ironic that if you look around a club, the least happy people you can find will be on K.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kalel 3 Apr 2014 15:49:55 88,451 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was gonna say, this can't be the same K that in the 90s used to make everyone on it act like they were going to kill themselves.
  • Deckard1 3 Apr 2014 15:56:20 28,737 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd imagine its very small doses. Unless its curing depression by making people too worried about their eye lids eating their own face to be depressed.
  • DaM 3 Apr 2014 16:01:12 13,333 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I was gonna say, this can't be the same K that in the 90s used to make everyone on it act like they were going to kill themselves.
    Was that not full of heroin too? Snowballs?
  • Load_2.0 3 Apr 2014 16:16:31 19,444 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hah I knew it!

Fags, booze, E's and coke next. I am going to live forever!
  • glaeken 3 Apr 2014 16:36:18 11,223 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have never actually tried K. It's a bit after my time.
  • Deckard1 3 Apr 2014 16:51:56 28,737 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Imagine going completely insane, to the point where you don't understand who or what you are anymore. It's kind of like that.

Edited by Deckard1 at 16:52:17 03-04-2014
  • Load_2.0 3 Apr 2014 16:54:50 19,444 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pretend you are a dinosaur, made of paper. Who likes to lean against doorframes and occasionally engage in astral projection.
  • kalel 3 Apr 2014 16:59:31 88,451 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Was that not full of heroin too? Snowballs?
    Er, no.
  • Deckard1 3 Apr 2014 17:04:58 28,737 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Pretend you are a dinosaur, made of paper. Who likes to lean against doorframes and occasionally engage in astral projection.
    :D

Imagine your head is a egg made of skin and it's poking through the fabric of existence and it sees how things really work behind the scenes. And your pockets are fucking giant and filled with mystery and wonder.
  • El_MUERkO 3 Apr 2014 17:18:51 17,075 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Deckard1 that's not my recollection of Special K, RRRAAA RRRAAGGHHH!!!!
  • FWB 10 Apr 2014 17:13:09 44,839 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    http://www.reddit.com/r/outside/comments/22k1a2/depression_explained_with_a_rpg_metaphor_xpost/

Ring a bell?
  • TheDarkKnight 8 May 2014 08:39:19 695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has anyone got any experiences of OCD, particularly scrupulosity?

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• Cadence 8 May 2014 09:44:49 1,693 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got pretty bad ocd, but it's more checking stuff. Not entirely sure what scrupulosity is in terms of ocd.
  • TheDarkKnight 9 May 2014 08:30:47 695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It's to do with religious beliefs apparently. I'm just wanting to know how much it affects a persons personality. It seems with this person, quite a lot.

• RyanDS 9 May 2014 08:34:49 9,586 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good timing for a thread bump!

Between buying a house, work, IVF and now some rather serious medical news I am rather struggling at the moment, and generally feeling anxious, stressed and depressed. Also shitting myself about the medical stuff. My doctor wants me to go see a counsellor and do CBT or something.

Has anyone done this? Any feedback on how good it is? I am tempted, however the money it will cost (around 20-30 a week) will just stress me out even more regarding my financial issues.
  • magicpanda 9 May 2014 08:43:09 13,410 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RyanDS My wife is a CBTherapist.

http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/services/services/ I don't think you need to pay for it.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2014 08:48:12
    RyanDS wrote:
    Good timing for a thread bump!

Between buying a house, work, IVF and now some rather serious medical news I am rather struggling at the moment, and generally feeling anxious, stressed and depressed. Also shitting myself about the medical stuff. My doctor wants me to go see a counsellor and do CBT or something.

Has anyone done this? Any feedback on how good it is? I am tempted, however the money it will cost (around 20-30 a week) will just stress me out even more regarding my financial issues.
    @RyanDS, I've used CBT to cope with depression. I was part of a trial (Beating the Blues) that was checking the efficacy of online based CBT for dealing with depression.
    In the trial, they used different groups to see what was affective against different methods of treating depression and they have followed us up over the last 10 years. You can be put on this via the NHS.

CBT can be very effective in dealing with low to medium levels of depression and it is very good at dealing with the "why me" thoughts that can lead to deeper depression. You can get free online courses (Moodgym was used by one of the groups on the trial) and you can buy books on the topic and work through them. The free stuff and the books are effective. Not as effective as one to one counselling obviously, but far cheaper and easier to fit in.

A good book (that the course I did was very, very similar to is) is this one which was recommended on some counselling course I've been on.

Obviously, you sound like you're going through a fair bit of stress, so do the usual like exercise, cut out alcohol and caffeine, get plenty of sleep and water and try meditation / relaxation techniques.

tldr CBT can be very effective and can cost very little to learn about. Try Moodgym and books and if you can afford it, a couple of CBT sessions might help.
  • TheDarkKnight 9 May 2014 14:46:45 695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I would vouch for CBT as well. Mind you, you only get out what put in, it can be quite challenging.

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 14:54:14 09-05-2014

• RyanDS 9 May 2014 14:53:50 9,586 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers guys. The reason I was looking at paying is that my doctor recomended I go down the road and have one to one sessions that I can start now, or alternately I can wait for NHS but that would be a long waiting list.

Normally I work off my stress by (trying) to get fit when I feel bad, but I got told last week I have a lung disease which has rather knocked me back a bit. Depending on more tests it could mean 10 years, or 50 before my lungs collapse (probably 50 to be fair which would put me in my 80s) but nevertheless it is rather scary being told you have a degenerative disease that nothing can be done about. This on top of my asthma.

Not technically terminal, as if it is slow something else would probably get me first, but still a massive wake up call to mortality etc and pretty much reached my tipping point of what I can cope with as it stands.
  • chopsen 9 May 2014 14:53:59 16,126 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, CBT is good. Should be able to get it free via IAPT.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2014 15:49:40
    @RyanDS sorry to hear that. No idea how you must feel, so wont even try to.

I think that CBT and meditation should help. I just had a meeting with the directors of my company (for the first time) and meditation helped with that. Gave me a few minutes of peace which I was able to bring with me.
  • Page

of 143 First / Last