Depression Page 123

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 October 2013 10:31:05
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but yeah, it wasn't meant to be a serious post. I hadn't spoken to my wife yet as she was on the motorway on the way up. Roll over in bed and fire up pokemon as it is my day off and I get a little birthday surprise. Made me laugh, and would have probably made me cry in other circumstances! Which I felt made it appropriate for the thread.
  • Trafford 19 Oct 2013 10:41:54 5,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Emotional tourist. Get out!
  • Deleted user 19 October 2013 10:48:43
    I was depressed for like a second - I'm allowed in!
  • whatthefu 3 Dec 2013 18:35:57 823 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Emotional tourist. Get out!
    It's Marla Singer.

Anyway, getting up in the morning is a problem. Can anyone recommend an effective Sunrise Alarm Clock that costs less than £50?
    I missed the phillips one for £33 on amazon's black friday :(
  • Tonka 3 Dec 2013 18:43:14 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Save yourself a ton of money and just turn on the lamp you already have.

Daylight robbery

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Bremenacht 3 Dec 2013 19:05:44 15,753 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Anyway, getting up in the morning is a problem. Can anyone recommend an effective Sunrise Alarm Clock that costs less than £50?
    I missed the phillips one for £33 on amazon's black friday :(
    As a possible alternative, would the smell from a coffee machine or bread machine first thing in the morning do the trick for you? Get one with a timer. Or both!?

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Stickman 3 Dec 2013 19:34:16 29,407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If struggling to get up in the morning (which can be cured by a fancy alarm clock) is depression, then there's a fuckload of undiagnosed depressives knocking about.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Dougs 3 Dec 2013 19:37:46 64,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D

If it's just winter blues, try one of those daylight lamps.
  • FuzzyDuck 5 Dec 2013 22:55:34 3,546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    whatthefu wrote:
    Anyway, getting up in the morning is a problem.
    That's nearly everyone at this time of year.

Drink some water right before bed, when you stir in the morning you'll probably need to hop up for a whizz too.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 23:01:16
    Leave the heating on so it's warm out of bed in the morning too.
  • Futaba 5 Dec 2013 23:01:38 3,427 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've heard of a smart phone app where you have to solve a puzzle before the alarm clock on it stops going off, try that?

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Chopsen 5 Dec 2013 23:29:23 15,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd pull the battery out.
  • spamdangled 5 Dec 2013 23:33:16 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I know I have to get up at a certain time, after I set the alarm on my phone I don't just set it to repeat every ten minutes to cover the old "turn it off for another five minutes but then fall asleep again" problem, I also place it at the other end of the bedroom, well out of arms' reach so I have to physically get out of bed to turn it off.
    I find that once I'm out of bed, then I'm fine - it's the getting out of bed in the first place that's the problem. Not because of depression; because the house is freezing at this time of year and the bed is toasty warm, or just because I'm shattered from a late night the night before.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• DrStrangelove 6 Dec 2013 01:28:43 2,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Yea, having to get up is a painful feeling, having got up isn't remotely as bad, even if you didn't have remotely enough sleep.

It's a bit like having to do something, like cleaning the flat, or dealing with paperwork, compared to actually doing it, and the good feeling of having done it.

What was God thinking when he created us? If we were created in his image, I don't want to know the pain he suffered before starting to create the universe.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:30:17 06-12-2013
  • spamdangled 6 Dec 2013 01:42:00 27,197 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

He was thinking "this will be a fun little playground!"

Sort of how we view something like The Sims ;)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• DrStrangelove 6 Dec 2013 01:59:21 2,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's certainly frustrated by the terrible AI
  • FuzzyDuck 6 Dec 2013 02:02:31 3,546 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Futaba wrote:
    I've heard of a smart phone app where you have to solve a puzzle before the alarm clock on it stops going off, try that?
    My phone would most likely end up eating the wall.

Whoever invented the alarm clock - what a cunt :)
  • localnotail 10 Dec 2013 21:55:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• spindizzy 10 Jan 2014 06:07:27 6,400 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know any proper information about how likely SNRIs are to cause sexual dysfunction, and especially if it can become permanent? Not looking for anecdotal stuff - want proper scientific studies, or reputable sources that I can show to someone else.
  • Doggypup 10 Jan 2014 07:47:33 162 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    About 1in 3 can experience side effects. It is not known to be a permanent side effect.
  • TheDarkKnight 10 Jan 2014 07:53:46 595 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @localnotail What a great video. Can relate to so much there.

SNRI's? Has anyone been on citalapram?

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 07:59:24 10-01-2014

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• spindizzy 10 Jan 2014 09:08:41 6,400 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doggypup wrote:
    About 1in 3 can experience side effects. It is not known to be a permanent side effect.
    Yeah, no offence but I did specifically ask for some credible links.

For example, this says:
    Sexual dysfunction is a common side effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibiting/serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibiting antidepressants (SSRI/SNRI; Clayton et al., 2002). Unfortunately, this side effect tends not to wear off. The largest published study to date revealed that only 9.8% of patients taking SSRI/SNRIs had this side effect dissipate, even when these patients were followed up for up to 38 months (Ashton & Rosen, 1998).
    Whilst this says:
    Recent reports suggest that adverse effects on sexual function occur in up to 50% of patients who are treated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants. Previously cited low rates were more likely a function of underreporting than underoccurrence.
  • Zomoniac 10 Jan 2014 09:12:49 7,402 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Has anyone been on citalapram?
    Yes. The effects were largely unnoticeable.
  • Chopsen 10 Jan 2014 09:16:16 15,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SSRI != SNRI
  • Chopsen 10 Jan 2014 09:17:55 15,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And it's not reported much, but acknowledged as a problem. Can't immediately find anything. I guess the complication here is that depression is also associated with sexual dysfunction. In some cases SSRI are used to treat sexual dysfunction!
  • spindizzy 10 Jan 2014 10:31:02 6,400 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know that SSRI!=SNRI, but they're not completely dissimilar (from my reading). And the first link lumps them together.

Another one suggesting that permanent sexual dysfunction is a more serious problem than generally acknowledged:
    Abstract
    Sexual side effects of antidepressant medications are far more common than initially reported, and their scope, quality, and duration remain poorly captured in the literature. Antidepressant treatment emergent sexual dysfunctions may decrease clients’ quality of life, complicate psychotherapy, and damage the treatment alliance. Potential damage to the treatment alliance is greatest when clients have not been adequately informed of risks related to sexual side effects. It had previously been assumed that sexual side effects always resolve shortly after medications are discontinued. Emerging evidence, however, suggests that in some individuals, sexual dysfunction side effects may persist indefinitely. The authors argue that all psychologists should be well-informed about sexual side effects risks of antidepressant medications, should routinely conduct a pre-medication baseline assessment of sexual functioning, and take an active role in the informed consent process.
  • glaeken 10 Jan 2014 10:43:25 10,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    That's probably going to depend on the dosage. When I was on 25mg there were definite effects. Now I am on 10mg the effects are less but still there to a degree.
  • Chopsen 10 Jan 2014 10:55:25 15,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Such is the problem with evidence based medicine.

Doing a bit a quick searching on MHRA and Cochrane has not turned up anything about it being persistant. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it's just it looks like there aren't currently enough well designed studies to highlight it as a major issue.

That abstract has lots of maybes in it, and the first article you linked in the other post had no statistical analysis done at all! It could be the variation was due to chance. Cynically, I know that escitalopram was introduced as a D or L or something isomer* of citalopram when the patent on citalopram was expiring so would no longer be as profitable. Most studies have found no benefit of escitalopram over citalopram, so I'm very cynical about studies which do (and where their funding may come form....)

(*can't remember which)

Edited by Chopsen at 10:55:50 10-01-2014

Edited by Chopsen at 10:56:34 10-01-2014
  • Benno 10 Jan 2014 10:58:55 9,392 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Evidence based medicine is great. If your anti-depressant shows a statistically significant impact on sexual dysfunction, just don't publish the trial data and no one will ever know!

That other trial which didn't show a problem though, you can publish that one :)
  • TheDarkKnight 10 Jan 2014 11:02:38 595 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Huh, glad it's not just me then. I did a silly thing and doubled the dosage, then run out of tablets, now pretty sure I'm having bad withdrawal symptoms.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• Page

of 129 First / Last