Depression Page 106

• Page

of 142 First / Last

• spamdangled 14 Dec 2012 18:47:32 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's an anti-depressant that's used for a couple of sleep disorders, didn't think it was very common over here though.

Edited by darkmorgado at 18:48:14 14-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• ZuluHero 14 Dec 2012 18:48:58 4,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love marzipan, it always makes me feel better when I'm feeling low or down.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 19:27:56
    Apostle wrote:
    Just went in to work for the evening, for what it's worth in a shop with barely any stock and therefore no customers, and the manager phones me on my mobile whilst on the way which was odd. So as I'm there I go in anyway and all the staff are there (only 4 inc. myself), so thought something was up. Bailiffs had phoned and were on there way to the shop, but the big boss has delayed them for a while, but in the meantime the shop is now indefinitely shut. Basically that's it, can't see it coming back (other shops have been shut in a similar way a few weeks back, still shut), the owner owes rent for possibly 10 shops and all staff wages (no one has been paid for over 4 weeks).

Feel a bit shit.

Was going to post in the "work is shit" thread, but probably best here! :(
    How shit is it that no one replied to your message!!?? Bastards.

Cuddle.
  • Dave_McCoy 2 Jan 2013 22:10:53 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I seem to have gone on one of my 'lows'. I've managed them well for a couple of years now but I've just gone all self destuctive in the last couple of days. I've been on citalopram and tried CBT in the past but found I couldn't quite get past the side effects of citalopram, stopped me drinking though.

I found that CBT worked for a while but then faded, which my doctor said isn't supposed to happen, so that may be my fault. I've been working my way down for weeks, I've decided I hate my job..which I always seem to end up doing these days, become more self loathing again and then decided, in my infinite wisdom, that I'd split up with my girlfriend because of the mentioned self loathing. Why would I do that? All I've done is upset a kind, sweet girl who, for some reason, liked me. I've gained nothing

I've now seemed to have become totally hopeless. I've caught myself just staring in to space feeling nothing several times today.

So, tl;dr version, do any of you guys ever mess up, or sabotage your own life seemingly on purpose?
  • Psychotext 2 Jan 2013 22:13:43 53,801 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sort of, I know exactly what I'm doing and what I could do to improve my life but I still continue fucking it up. Depression is a bitch like that.
  • cubbymoore 2 Jan 2013 22:25:12 36,468 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like you need a CBT refresher if that was working.
  • Chopsen 2 Jan 2013 22:45:39 15,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    I found that CBT worked for a while but then faded, which my doctor said isn't supposed to happen, so that may be my fault.
    This sentence is a perfect example of why you should try CBT again. I can't find a way of pointing out the irony in your reaction without sound flippant, but it is! Maybe you need to be reminded of how to apply the techniques it's based on, or a reminder about what it's all about.
  • localnotail 2 Jan 2013 23:25:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    So, tl;dr version, do any of you guys ever mess up, or sabotage your own life seemingly on purpose?
    I used to. Frequently. It's easier to fail than to keep trying to have a nice life and maybe not getting there. After a while it just gets frustrating though, especially when you have lucked upon a potentially good situation. But then - you might fuck that up, or they might just stop liking you, so maybe it's better to just get it over with and mess it up before you have the chance to really get hurt by it all falling to pieces later on. Because life sucks, and it's not fair. Etc.

CBT helps to reframe your attitude to and expectations of life. You do have to stick at it though, and want it to work. Maybe give it another go?

Sorry to hear you are down *hugs* Apologise to the girl - sounds like you want to. Maybe she will understand. Work does suck though, often. That's work for you though.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Dave_McCoy 3 Jan 2013 12:05:51 2,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, I think a refresher in CBT would be a good idea if the Doc advises it. I need to go register at my local doctor's so I'll do that today. I know the whole 'work is work' thing but I seem to get bored of my jobs so quickly now, especially the force social interaction, which gets me down.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll get on it. Just need to muster the enthusiasm but I'll do it.
  • RabidChild 3 Jan 2013 13:03:38 2,288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Anyone here been on Mirtazapine? My doctor put me on it today after Citalopram stopped having too useful an effect and the pills I had for my insomnia weren't doing anything as apparently this one is a bit sleep-inducing. Not come across it before so just wondered if anyone had any experience?
    This is a bit of a late reply, but here goes.

I was on Mirtazapine for a bit, after years of citalopram which I'm not sure was doing that much for me. Mirtazapine was great for a couple of weeks, but made me insanely hungry all the time. After a few weeks I started feeling low again, and the hunger continued. After a few months I was still feeling like crap and was nearly 10kg heavier, so I jacked it in. Discontinuation was much less severe than Citalopram was, apart from a week of having the shits (citalopram withdrawal made me very dizzy, gave me visual disturbances and weird electric shock feelings in my brain). I'm now on Sertaline, another SSRI similar to citalopram and it is working much better for me. The first few weeks of taking it were horrible - I felt really low, constantly thirsty and exhausted - but that began to lift and I honestly feel better than before I started taking them. They're not an amazing cure-all, but they definitely have benefits for me.

However, it seems that the efficacy, side effects and withdrawal symptoms of mentalist drugs varies from person to person much more than other drugs (IMHO, based on little actual evidence). In fact, I want to do my phd on just that - psychopharmacogenomics (which is a fun word to say to people if you want them to stop asking about what you do).
  • glaeken 3 Jan 2013 13:17:54 11,090 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's certainly amazing how different peopleís reactions are to differing drugs. I had to give up on Sertaline after a week as I just felt like I had flu the entire time. I had a terrible reaction to it and there is no way I could have carried on with it. I then went on to Citalopram which I found I adjusted to really easily. I have been wondering if Citalopram is doing much for me recently though as it certainly got me through a bad spot initially but I am far from "cured" and still go through some dark phases.

It's always kind of tricky to tell if you should try something else or even test the water and see if you still need the medication.

Edited by glaeken at 13:21:07 03-01-2013
  • RabidChild 3 Jan 2013 14:58:28 2,288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree. It's tempting to try something else, but after the rigmarole of tapering off one med and combating the side effects of new meds, it's often not worth it. Unless what you're currently on really isn't doing anything, or the side effects outweigh the benefits.

For what it's worth, the side effects of Sertaline passed for me after a week or two.
  • ZuluHero 3 Jan 2013 15:13:51 4,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not to belittle anyone, but doesn't everyone go through dark phases from time-to-time?

How do you tell the difference between something everyone experiences, to something you need medication for?

I sort of liken it to taking Painkillers for a headache, some people just put up with the headache and refuse to take anything for them no matter how bad, where as others reach for the tablets as soon as they get a slight twinge (I most definitely fall into the latter).

Just how do you know? Genuine question!

Edited by ZuluHero at 15:15:14 03-01-2013
  • Chopsen 3 Jan 2013 15:20:15 15,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pragramtism really. Can you manage? Can you get through the day, do what you need to do, or not? If you genuinely can't function and your life if falling to bits, you probably need help. If you're just a miserable bastard but still get in to work and vaguely keep things ticking over: welcome to adult life.
  • glaeken 3 Jan 2013 16:00:37 11,090 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it's possible to explain to someone what the depths of depression can feel like if you have never suffered from it. It's not just feeling a bit down. It becomes an all-consuming thing that stops you from functioning normally. You cannot escape from it as itís in your thoughts constantly. You brain wonít let you stop thinking about it and you keep churning over the same negative thoughts.

When you are clear of it and look back you can realise that your thought patterns were quite clearly disturbed but when you are in the middle of it you feel powerless to break out of it.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 16:04:08 86,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It wasn't until I saw it happen to someone I'm very close to that I really understood the reality of it. As Chopsen says, that person just became unable to function.
  • ZuluHero 3 Jan 2013 16:19:10 4,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is it as clear cut as not wanting to get out of bed vs unable to physically get out of bed?

Edited by ZuluHero at 16:22:11 03-01-2013
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 16:19:49 86,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    More or less.
  • ZuluHero 3 Jan 2013 17:22:19 4,019 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I agree, I think that its bandied around too easily as excuse like you said and that makes people more cynical when people say they are depressed, and by proxy that it makes it difficult for people who are truly suffering to get help.

I guess I'm just trying to understand it really. I have days when I'm down, and I can't be bothered to do anything or I have a bit of a cry about something, then I come out of it. It might go on for days, but I've always shaken it off. I think I struggle to understand what could be so bad to make a person go into that state and find it hard to come out of it really.

EDIT: that's not to say I've never suffered any heartache, hardships or loss. I've had my fair share of bad things and situations happen through my life, i've had some really bad times, but it seems to me that some people seem better able to cope?

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:26:45 03-01-2013
  • spamdangled 3 Jan 2013 17:26:44 27,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rodpad

I'm sure I've read somewhere that around 75% of cases where the use of anti-depressants resulted in the patient feeling reduced symptoms can be put down to the placebo effect.

Might try and find a citation when I have a bit more spare time.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 3 Jan 2013 17:28:34 86,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The mistake people make is thinking Depression is a rational thing. That it's somehow related to circumstance like your general mood is. They say things like "oh poor x celebrity is depressed with their millions of pounds and good looks and perfect life, boo hoo".

Whereas actually while circumstance can of course play a role, it's actually a chemical imbalance that causes Depression, and people who should be ecstatically happy with their wonderful lives rationally speaking can in fact differ from it, just like they can suffer from from any other illness. That's the thing, it's a genuine illness in the normal sense of the word. It's caused by a malfunction in your body.
  • MetalDog 3 Jan 2013 17:42:10 23,708 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I guess I'm just trying to understand it really. I have days when I'm down, and I can't be bothered to do anything or I have a bit of a cry about something, then I come out of it. It might go on for days, but I've always shaken it off. I think I struggle to understand what could be so bad to make a person go into that state and find it hard to come out of it really.
    The trouble with actual soul-crushing depression is that most often you can't identify enough external causes to justify how shit you're feeling - which just makes it /worse/.

This sums up the internal dialogue at that point fairly well:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• RichieTenenbaum 3 Jan 2013 17:54:01 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When I'm depressed I just do a couple of wanks.

Makes me feel worse and I'm covered in spunk that i can't be bothered to clean up but it passes the time

then i don't look anyone else in the eye for a week

either that or i bully someone worse off than me
  • Chopsen 3 Jan 2013 18:03:10 15,709 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    The trouble with actual soul-crushing depression is that most often you can't identify enough external causes to justify how shit you're feeling - which just makes it /worse/.
    True that. "I don't understand why I'm feeling like this. I've got nothing to be depressed about!" Feeling emotionally stressed/down because of events, that's normal (though there's a spectrum). People really seem to struggle with the idea that depression is a disease that can happen for no reason, to the point of exasperation/frustration. I've seen some people refuse to accept the fact that they are depressed because they felt their life was good so therefore they shouldn't be depressed, even though they actually are. Which obviously made things worse.

(I've got a theory that some people in this group, who are articulate enough to rationalise their rejection, represent most of what ME/chronic fatigue syndrome is. Also why they don't get better. Don't tell anybody this though or I'll get lynched).

Edited by Chopsen at 18:03:37 03-01-2013
  • wogsy81 3 Jan 2013 18:42:25 717 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My mate Dave (yes, thats his actual name) had depression a couple of years back. He was a total hermit, never had any motivation for anything and was generally a right miserable twat.

And in our ignorance we all took the piss out him, saying he was just a lazy bastard, he needs a job, snap out of it etc etc but i done a bit of research on depression and i found its not something you can snap in and out of. It totally changed my view.

Depression can be caused by a chemical imbalnce in the brain in some cases but the causes of depression are as complex and varied as the people who suffer from it. Even certain foods can bring feelings of depression in some people.

There is no magic wand, no instant overnight fix. But help is out there.
    My mate Dave is a changed man now. He got help, got a job, he is starting to see his son again. He even had his son on Christmas day just gone for the first time ever. Man he was sooo happy. Compared to a couple of years ago he is a different man.

Any of my fellow gamers feeling down i urge you to get some help/advice or just have a good talk with a close friend or family member.

But then again, i have never suffered from depression myself so you may think im talking utter bollocks. But hey, im trying here. Im trying.
  • localnotail 9 Jan 2013 14:02:10 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting study suggests possible link between diet drinks and depression. Of course, it might just be that being fat is depressing, but worth looking at this if you are a diet coke addict who gets down (not in a funky manner).

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 14:06:10 23,708 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Diet drinks are linked with making you fatter in the long run anyway, so you may as well kick that shit to the kerb anyway.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ronuds 9 Jan 2013 14:32:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "I'll have: 2 big macs, 2 biggie fries, 2 apple pies... oh and a diet coke, plx."

It's not the diet soda that made them fatter... :p
  • Page

of 142 First / Last