Depression Page 105

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 October 2012 16:44:58
    The sabre tooth tiger thing is nonsense. The only instincts we have that are common are for food, water, procreation, survival and safety. All others are taught/learned so unless you've been hanging out in the African wilderness you won't have them.

Edited by Aargh. at 16:45:30 23-10-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 16:46:33 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    glol 'safety'
  • Deleted user 23 October 2012 16:49:05
    I assume you continuously run into sharp objects then.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 16:51:19 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just that a big tiger with massive teeth qualifies as triggering a safety instinct, unless I misinterpreted you. :D
  • Zomoniac 23 Oct 2012 16:54:21 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not necessarily, the safety instinct only kicks in with things we know to be unsafe. If you've no experience of dangerous animals it wouldn't necessarily trigger. A small child has a safety instinct, but stick it on a table and it will crawl off the end, or put it near fire and it will get too close, because it hasn't yet learned the associations with the danger and the situation.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2012 16:54:40
    Yes you have, unless you think that tiger also triggers an instinct to drink water.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2012 16:57:21
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Not necessarily, the safety instinct only kicks in with things we know to be unsafe. If you've no experience of dangerous animals it wouldn't necessarily trigger. A small child has a safety instinct, but stick it on a table and it will crawl off the end, or put it near fire and it will get too close, because it hasn't yet learned the associations with the danger and the situation.
    Children have always fallen off things. Sticks have always been pointy.

These are learned things that are common throughout the ages.

Ps. Humans were not around at the time of sabre tooth tigers anywhere apart from the Flintstones and Ice Age.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 16:58:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    that doesn't make sense. And if zomoniac is right then the baby wouldn't have a predisposition to be wary of 'scissors'
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 16:58:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 23 Oct 2012 16:58:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fix

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• glaeken 23 Oct 2012 17:00:32 10,974 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The tiger thing was just alluding to the fact we have too much time to worry about things these days and really that is just down to how comfortable and safe the vast majority of us are.

We don't have to worry too much about general survival from physical danger or just our general conform levels. So we sit around wondering why we are not more awesome.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 17:02:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, i got the point. Flippantly alluding to the fact that we no longer live in the moment, and I think you're right fwiw.
  • MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 17:15:15 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think another part of the problem is so many of our problems these days can't be solved by the application of elbow grease, footspeed or percussion. We're living in a world where we're aware of much more stuff than we have the power to control and a lot of the stuff we're aware of is worrying. If more of our problems could be solved by grabbing a shovel and putting our backs to digging, I think most of us would be much happier.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2012 17:16:39 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Probably right.
  • glaeken 23 Oct 2012 17:18:50 10,974 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah our horizons have increased and it's more obvious what little control we have.
  • MetalDog 23 Oct 2012 17:30:45 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Even closer to home the problems have lost a lot of their simplicity.

In the past, if we needed more food we had move in search of more, or develop better methods for catching/growing/preserving/foraging what we had in our vicinity. Now if you can't afford enough food it's a whole different world of pain that is going to involve forms, CVs, bank accounts, assessments, social humiliation, etc. Very different skill set needed to deal with all that, than the skills needed to take care of yourself in the wild. If you don't have good skills for all that stuff, you're going to be miserable when things get tricky.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• whatthefu 23 Oct 2012 18:04:26 823 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SlimSpudly87 wrote:
    I think the worst thing I've done is bottle up how I feel since March.

I've only just admitted to a close family member today just exactly how I feel.
    One of my problems is that the people I'm supposed to express myself to have very set ideas of how I should act. I'm not allowed to be myself and when I talk about things I get berated and insulted.
    The other thing is I'm rubbish with people so I don't have the skills to develop other supports or any meaningful relationships.
  • SlimSpudly87 2 Nov 2012 20:54:10 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How are people feeling now?

I'm still feeling low, nothing like I talked about previously. I have good days and bad days, one step at a time and I'll get there

Edited by SlimSpudly87 at 21:17:48 02-11-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 3 Nov 2012 16:30:01 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I had a low ebb earlier in the year but gradually feel more positive this last month or two.

Continuing with my medication, tbh I'll probably be on it for life, being diagnosed with Schizophrenia.

I've got my first back to work interview next week, which I'm coming round to the idea of; having to reengage with the wider world again I mean. I've become so used to withdrawing as a coping mechanism for my paranoid symptoms, depression is common as a result.

Good luck.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 16:31:22 03-11-2012
  • Madder-Max 3 Nov 2012 17:29:01 11,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just completed a course of councelling and its done me the world of good. I'm lucky enough to not be diagnosed with anything but the councellor would ask me probing questions which I would process until the next session. It enabled me to see myself for who oi am and gain an objective view of how I interact with people. I used to withdraw if I did not fully uindersrtand the situation oi was in but the councelling has enabled me to take a step back, process and then act with confidence. Good stuff.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 3 Nov 2012 18:00:25 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah self obsession and mental illness go hand in hand. I think the key to a solution, if one exists is rooted in being able to get other peoples perspective and perceptions
  • Zomoniac 3 Nov 2012 20:50:24 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty much the same Spudly. Getting by, and the meds are definitely helping. Still have bad patches (which seem to be worse this week than last but still not as severe as last month by a long shot), but the overall trend is definitely upwards. Feeling a bit better about things since managing to start dragging myself out of bed for a workout in the mornings instead of hiding under the covers until the last possible second. Hugs y'all.
  • SlimSpudly87 8 Nov 2012 19:05:02 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So just another check in, if any of you read the reasons for why I feel depressed in previous posts you will know that one of the main reasons was due to being made redundant.

I've just found out that an old store I worked in is looking for a store manager. Do I express my interest or just let it go?
  • Zomoniac 8 Nov 2012 19:06:36 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you left on good terms and your name is known I see no harm in trying, unless you envisage a rejection setting you back.
  • SlimSpudly87 8 Nov 2012 19:08:15 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmm I was made redundant from a job I loved. Now working for a competitor, I doubt I'd be considered. So torn!
  • catterz 9 Nov 2012 02:26:45 8,763 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Always worth a shot. You've got nothing to lose. This is my new outlook on life following my last relationship. If you don't get the job, then you're in no different a situation than you are now, so who cares? If you do get it, then result.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Deleted user 30 November 2012 17:59:48
    Just went in to work for the evening, for what it's worth in a shop with barely any stock and therefore no customers, and the manager phones me on my mobile whilst on the way which was odd. So as I'm there I go in anyway and all the staff are there (only 4 inc. myself), so thought something was up. Bailiffs had phoned and were on there way to the shop, but the big boss has delayed them for a while, but in the meantime the shop is now indefinitely shut. Basically that's it, can't see it coming back (other shops have been shut in a similar way a few weeks back, still shut), the owner owes rent for possibly 10 shops and all staff wages (no one has been paid for over 4 weeks).

Feel a bit shit.

Was going to post in the "work is shit" thread, but probably best here! :(
  • Zomoniac 14 Dec 2012 11:28:52 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone here been on Mirtazapine? My doctor put me on it today after Citalopram stopped having too useful an effect and the pills I had for my insomnia weren't doing anything as apparently this one is a bit sleep-inducing. Not come across it before so just wondered if anyone had any experience?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 14 Dec 2012 18:34:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, is it an anti psych?
  • Page

of 129 First / Last