Depression Page 103

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 September 2012 23:10:46
    Just thought I'd add that you're certainly not the only one Muttler. I clam up on voice comm's. Brain goes blank.
  • Deleted user 22 September 2012 05:56:12
    Post deleted
  • Rusty_M 22 Sep 2012 07:07:14 4,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this thread broken?
    edit: it was.

Edited by Rusty_M at 07:07:29 22-09-2012

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• reddevil93 11 Oct 2012 23:24:49 11,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are early signs of depression? Obviously going through near as much as some people in this thread but feeling like shit recently

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 23:53:12
    Facepalm wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    What are early signs of depression? Obviously going through near as much as some people in this thread but feeling like shit recently
    •continuous low mood or sadness
    •feeling hopeless and helpless
    •having low self-esteem
    •feeling tearful
    •feeling guilt-ridden
    •feeling irritable and intolerant of others
    •having no motivation or interest in things
    •finding it difficult to make decisions
    •not getting any enjoyment out of life
    •having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself
    •feeling anxious or worried
    Ticking off everything on that list has me extremely worried :(
  • superdelphinus 11 Oct 2012 23:54:24 7,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thinking that you are depressed often means you actually aren't though, at least clinically
  • Deleted user 12 October 2012 00:15:15
    The big ones for me are the hopelessness and low self-esteem (recent woman trouble), the tearful thing rather shamefully, the irritability thing and i have fuck all interest in anything either in my work, free-time or social life.

I was on holiday abroad for the last week and i got very little enjoyment out of it if i'm being perfectly honest. I went with a couple who are really good friends of mine and we ended up meeting up with friends of theirs who, predictably, were all couples. I just felt like a spare prick.

I'm going through the motions now and i'm getting tired and i'm extremely lonely. I could disappear tomorrow and people wouldn't find out for days.

I sort of had the beginnings of something going on with a girl i really liked and she genuinely seemed into me but it seems to have just sort of fizzled and i'm crushed by it because it was all that i gave a shit about any more.

It's odd to post this stuff on EG.
  • superdelphinus 12 Oct 2012 00:30:19 7,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like most of the stuff I've read on this thread, I don't think that's really depression. Not proper fuck your life up clinical depression anyway
  • MightyMouse 12 Oct 2012 01:01:25 1,091 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair to CBT they try to make you more optimistic, which is still a tough proposition. Motivation's more of a "stick at it, eventually some will hopefully come" deal.
  • reddevil93 12 Oct 2012 01:05:07 11,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    •continuous low mood or sadness
    •feeling hopeless and helpless
    •having low self-esteem
    •feeling tearful
    •feeling guilt-ridden
    •feeling irritable and intolerant of others
    •having no motivation or interest in things
    •finding it difficult to make decisions
    •not getting any enjoyment out of life
    •having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself
    •feeling anxious or worried
    Pretty much all them going on at the moment, mostly brought in by myself, was very drunk last Wednesday and cheated on the girlfriend, so that's where the guilt and self loathing comes from, told her the following day and that's where the low mood, tearfulness, procrastination, worry and suicidal thoughts coming from, in short women suck, but I suck twice aside for bring a cunt.

@Syrette, I've never had to suffer home defeat to spurs before in my lifetime, but thanks for the concern :p

• superdelphinus 12 Oct 2012 01:09:42 7,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    There are levels of it and unchecked can go into "proper fuck your life up clinical depression" like you say. If he's feeling hopelessness and tearful and he's getting no enjoyment out of life, then he's depressed.

Funny thing is, the way they try to cure you in CBT is with motivation... they don't realise you can't be arsed with anything. Then they get upset because you're not putting the effort in. No shit sherlock.
    I disagree that that is necessarily depression, it is much more likely to be a temporary low mood. There is a tendency these days to label any sort of prolonged feeling of unhappiness as being depression. Doing something bad and feeling crap about it is a perfectly healthy response in my opinion!

CBT is hilarious
  • superdelphinus 12 Oct 2012 01:13:33 7,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair I think it can work to an extent, in some cases. Really depends on the person being able to organise thoughts properly and not have any mania in their condition really though. Rare
  • reddevil93 12 Oct 2012 01:16:47 11,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Facepalm wrote:
    There are levels of it and unchecked can go into "proper fuck your life up clinical depression" like you say. If he's feeling hopelessness and tearful and he's getting no enjoyment out of life, then he's depressed.

Funny thing is, the way they try to cure you in CBT is with motivation... they don't realise you can't be arsed with anything. Then they get upset because you're not putting the effort in. No shit sherlock.
    I disagree that that is necessarily depression, it is much more likely to be a temporary low mood. There is a tendency these days to label any sort of prolonged feeling of unhappiness as being depression. Doing something bad and feeling crap about it is a perfectly healthy response in my opinion!

CBT is hilarious
    If the 'doing something crap and feeling bad over it' thing is aimed at me, it isn't just the me being a wanker thing that has me upset. Parents divorced a few years ago but still friction over that on a weekly basis and sometimes just feel like crying for no reason what so ever. Also probably blame myself for stuff that isn't my fault, my two best friends have suffered from depression and taken stuff for it and my girlfriend has suffered from anorexia and I blame myself sometimes for not doing enough, fairly sucks but like I said, not going through near as much as nearly everyone on here but just wanted to vent a little bit

• Syrette 12 Oct 2012 01:17:40 41,810 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• localnotail 12 Oct 2012 04:05:05 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't forget the light levels are dropping, which makes everything seem worse. Troughs in mood in response to circumstances are also normal, as are bad days and occasional dark moods. If things get persistent then seek help, but make sure you are also keeping your body balanced with a healthy diet and exercise and sleep.

superdelphinus wrote:
    To be fair I think it can work to an extent, in some cases. Really depends on the person being able to organise thoughts properly and not have any mania in their condition really though. Rare
    See, I came off Lithium after 6 years treatment for bipolar affective disorder (manic depression) after CBT and have remained stable for over a decade thanks to it. This effect is not that rare, in my experience.

It works if you are willing to engage with it properly and change your behaviours. It doesn't work if you don't work at it. Up to you. I didn't like who I had become so I wanted to change.

Edited by localnotail at 04:07:47 12-10-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 12 October 2012 09:51:22
    Man hugs to Reddevil and Spuds. Best advice I can give is go to your GP. I did a week back and he referred me to a charity that does CBT amongst other things. I've had it before, have reservations, but I admit I didn't put the effort in that time. It is true what people above have said, it does need work and effort. I'm willing to give it a go this time.

Best of luck guys.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2012 09:59:38 55,849 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Facepalm wrote:
    spudsbuckley you have moderate depression, please see your GP mate.
    You mean you arent a doctor?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sirtacos 12 Oct 2012 10:24:14 7,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dropped zoloft again. I forgot to take it for 3 days. By the 4th day, I decided - despite how stupid it is to cold turkey that shit - to drop it once and for all.

It just hasn't been doing anything for me.
    Not that it proves anything, but it's been a week and I already feel much better without all that serotonin kicking around in my brain.
    (Less numb, less passive, more motivated and energetic. Generally sharper and more 'alive'. Then again, this is the adjustment stage, so any judgment at this point is premature.)

I think my idiocy has led me to a wise (if obvious) conclusion - these types of drugs can only help me in conjunction with therapy.

So that's my next move - serious therapy. And drugs, if necessary. But not the latter without the former.

Edited by sirtacos at 10:35:00 12-10-2012
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 15:31:03
    Good luck sirtacos. :)

Edited by Apostle at 15:32:42 13-10-2012
  • Nades 13 Oct 2012 20:52:55 628 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmmm, I have no idea if I have depression or not. Today, I feel amazing! But I bet tomorrow I'll feel shit for NO reason. I don't understand why I seem to go in and out of depression, becuase I'm a very lucky person, great family and friends, who do everything for me (that's without mentioning I have a beautiful gf who is wey outta my league),couldn't ask for a better life to be honest, which is why it worries me that I am like this =S.

Liverpool FC

• sirtacos 13 Oct 2012 21:05:45 7,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers apostle

Edited by sirtacos at 21:06:21 13-10-2012
  • Page

of 129 First / Last