Depression Page 2

• Page

of 129 First / Last

• Xerx3s 25 Mar 2007 20:20:41 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm no psychologist but I do have a bit of experience with depression myself so I know that whatever is said here probably won't hit solid ground. However, GET OFF YOUR ARSE AND BECOME SOMEONE!

Depression is a downward spiral, if you have something to work towards, you can break it. I know because I did/am still doing it. Work, study, relationships, hate, spite, anger, anything.

Sweet-talking won't do you no good. Reality will. Reality is, the world doesn't owe you anything but if you are willing to have goals, it WILL allow you to achieve them. Your mum is right, listen to what she says.

You think this is hard on you? Position yourself in the place of the people around you. depression affects others as well. You think that you are alone but you cannot see how lucky you are by having family and a gf.
  • NthSimulachum 25 Mar 2007 20:23:47 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats quite a bit of hate, spite and anger Xerx3s; those nasty Spartans doing you wrong?:)
  • brains 25 Mar 2007 20:24:49 491 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    I`ve had depression, twice in the past it got so bad that I visited GP to get help. Luckily my depression was reactive in its nature (ie. triggered by external events)

Both times I was prescirbed Prozac and used it for just under 3 months. Good god its good stuff. Takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but during the time you use it, it just gives you a break from it all, gives you the chance to see things a little clearer and perhaps tackle issues/situations that need addressing but are hard to take on once your under the black cloud. Certainly no cure, but a powerfull tool to help you get a grip of things.

Incidently, another side effect of prozac is that it completly turns off your sex drive. That in itself is fantastic, being able to converse with a woman while not imagining cuming in her hair is a whole new perspective (for me) Do not underrate this neglected side effect.

See your Doc, get some help and get through it.

All the best

I agree, prozac (fluoxetine) is bloody marvellous! I was put on that when I was depressed and the difference in the way I felt was astounding. It also took me about a fortnight to feel the effect...
  • NewYork 25 Mar 2007 20:24:54 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Xerx3s makes me want to go take on the world!

RAWRRRR!

/continues browsing EG
  • AHiFi 25 Mar 2007 20:28:07 1,665 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well for years I was always bullied at school and had no friends. I still am bullied and have pretty much no friends. My girlfriend is leaving me and stress is taking over. I have never wanted to reach out and be a burden on people. I can't help the way I'm feeling at the moment. I am very lucky to be at University and have a family - but that's it at the moment. My family don't want to help and University is causing me problems.

All I've ever wanted in life is a friend I can talk to about these things. I've helped so many friends get over their problems over the years. It's not nice though when it comes to your turn, then they're not there.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2007 20:36:16
    AHiFi wrote:
    Well for years I was always bullied at school and had no friends. I still am bullied and have pretty much no friends. My girlfriend is leaving me and stress is taking over. I have never wanted to reach out and be a burden on people. I can't help the way I'm feeling at the moment. I am very lucky to be at University and have a family - but that's it at the moment. My family don't want to help and University is causing me problems.

All I've ever wanted in life is a friend I can talk to about these things. I've helped so many friends get over their problems over the years. It's not nice though when it comes to your turn, then they're not there.

It is nice to have someone to talk too someone who knows you, and better still understands what you go through. Speaking for me personally I find that difficult to do, whether it be someone I know or a councillor. As you say you don't wish to be burden, I have always percieved it as everyone has problems that don't need me telling them mine, and there is always the fear that mine are silly and insginificant.

Hence I have always tended to deal with it myself without help or medication. As time as gone on that gets harder, but as I said before remember there are always people who love and care for you, no matter what your pereception may be, they do.
  • phAge 25 Mar 2007 20:38:01 24,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably been mentioned already, but you need to talk to a professional - NOW. This is not something you can or should deal with on your own, so go to your doctor and get him/her to recommend you a good therapist/psychologist, ASAP. I guarantee you won't regret it - only that you didn't do it sooner.

Good luck, and all the best.
  • morriss 25 Mar 2007 20:39:46 70,749 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Probably been mentioned already, but you need to talk to a professional - NOW. This is not something you can or should deal with on your own, so go to your doctor and get him/her to recommend you a good therapist/psychologist, ASAP. I guarantee you won't regret it - only that you didn't do it sooner.

I can only add my weight to this statement.

Hope you get through it all soon.
  • AHiFi 25 Mar 2007 20:40:57 1,665 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alright folks. Thank you so much for the help. It's nice to know people actually cared enough to respond and give their views. Actually, brought a tear to my eye. I'm gonna phone up the Uni nightline via one of the phone boxes downstairs (it's free on a Uni line apparently).

Well, here's hoping I can get info about deferring it. Thanks once again.
  • NthSimulachum 25 Mar 2007 20:40:59 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    phAge wrote:

Definitely this.
  • Deleted user 25 March 2007 20:45:28
    phAge wrote:

Just because this can't be emphasised enough.
  • NewYork 25 Mar 2007 20:50:27 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:

I haven't even read this post. I just like quoting stuff.
  • Sid-Nice 25 Mar 2007 20:51:24 15,810 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    I don't know who to contact at the Uni to see about getting an extension. It's really getting to me.
    Having a small cock is nothing to get depressed about.

NNID Sid-Nice

• NthSimulachum 25 Mar 2007 20:51:42 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    NewYork wrote:

You are a cad and a bounder. AICMFP.
  • Xerx3s 25 Mar 2007 20:53:14 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    Xerx3s makes me want to go take on the world!

RAWRRRR!

/continues browsing EG

XD

Seriously though, depression is only fed by people saying it's oke. Medicine only cures the symptom's. The only way to beat it is by becoming active instead of passive.

Take a course in flower arrangements for all I care. It's better than sitting indoor all day, thinking about how miserable you are. For me it was proving the world wrong.
  • Xerx3s 25 Mar 2007 20:55:05 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    phAge wrote:

Yeah and phAge is such a cool guy.

/wears phAge fan tee
  • FabricatedLunatic 25 Mar 2007 20:59:46 12,955 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    Take a course in flower arrangements for all I care. It's better than sitting indoor all day, thinking about how miserable you are. For me it was proving the world wrong.
    He suffers from bipolar disorder, not the blues. Do you anything about the condition? The kind of advice you have dispensed will do more harm than good.

Edited by FabricatedLunatic at 21:00:09 25-03-2007
  • NewYork 25 Mar 2007 21:01:38 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And what the heck is wrong with flower arrangement?
  • Deleted user 25 March 2007 21:02:46
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    He suffers from bipolar disorder, not the blues. Do you anything about the condition? The kind of advice you have dispensed will do more harm than good.

Edited by FabricatedLunatic at 21:00:09 25-03-2007

How about that. Thanks for that man, that describes me, not taking the piss or anything that is me.
  • FabricatedLunatic 25 Mar 2007 21:03:40 12,955 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    And what the heck is wrong with flower arrangement?
    It's a bit ghey, innit?
  • NewYork 25 Mar 2007 21:04:33 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, yes, of course.

/watches Die Hard and listens to Motorhead
  • brains 25 Mar 2007 21:05:30 491 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Die Hard is also gay. Tight white vest see.
  • lucky_jim 25 Mar 2007 21:05:50 5,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although it could have been more sensitively-put, Xerx3s makes a very good point. It sounds a bit like you're wallowing in self-pity (no offence meant- have done it myself), and you'll find "nobody's there" to help because they can't: I'd bet good money that whatever they say, you rebut them with reasons why your miserable view of life is correct. Eventually even the hardiest souls give up if they're not getting through.

Uni life doesn't help with that kind of thing, but I'm sure if you start with a clean slate tomorrow, get an extension for your essay, try and put some structure and purpose into your life, you'll see an improvement. I found the gym helps too (I haven't been for like a year, but whenever I feel like I'm losing my grip, an hour a day for 3 or 4 weeks sorts me out).

As for the gf- yeah, that shit hurts. Sort yourself out and she'll either come back, or be seethingly jealous of whatever fantastic girl the new-and-improved AHiFi catches.
  • bauhaus 25 Mar 2007 21:06:00 3,511 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watch TopGun instead
  • Sid-Nice 25 Mar 2007 21:06:37 15,810 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had depression for about 10 years. Everybody is saying "You should seek professional advice" which is true. In my experience though; many counsellors ask ridiculous question trying to find a reason for our problems; asking things about our childhood etc. Until recently I felt like ending it all at least once per day. I had terrible anxiety; just like you with all the worry about your examination papers and relationship problems. You'll get over this don't worry and I hope that your girlfriend stands by you.

Good Luck.

NNID Sid-Nice

• NthSimulachum 25 Mar 2007 21:18:18 785 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In any case AhiFi, don't be too put off by the plethora of contradictory advice:).

You are far from alone. And even those most haunted by these demons can achieve greatness. Look at Churchill and Stephen Fry.
  • NewYork 25 Mar 2007 21:59:23 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doctor doctoe, I think I;m a oair of uruains

Pull yourdrkg togethet!
  • JediMasterMalik 25 Mar 2007 22:01:05 11,826 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Witchking wrote:
    Solly wrote:
    Has anyone said "pull yourself together man" yet?

Yep Xerx3s did that one well and truly :)

Sadly, depression is not nearly that simple.
  • banjoted 25 Mar 2007 22:02:59 1,500 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AHiFi wrote:
    Thanks for your comments everyone, I really appreciate you taking your time to hear my whinge. I don't whinge often, maybe that's my problem. I've hide it away for years. I was diagnosed with BiPolar NOS last year. My current - soon to be ex, I'm guessing - Girlfriend got me to go back to the Doctor to see about conselling recently. I've never been on meds. I've seen them change friends and they scare me.

I'm gonna go down tomorrow and book an appointment. I need something. I understand that now.

Like everyone else here (well, most of 'em), I'm really sorry to herar you're having such a shitty time. I've struggled with depression for years myself - I know that there's plenty of real pain behind the ignorant styigam many people attach to it.

Whilst there's probably little more I can add that hasn't already been said, I did want to comment on your above post.

Now, I'm not necessarily advocating the use of meds in these situations - like you, I resisted anti-depressents in my toughest times. Though that's not all that's out there - I was on beta blockers for a year or so and they were a great help, without any personality alternations.

But if you're referring to anti-depressents - agreed, they are nasty things. But that's not to say they're without merit. Whilst I have known people who have suffered undesirable personality changes as a result of taking them, I also know people to whom anti-depressents were a huge help whilst they came to terms with their condition.

Whilst I'd never recommened anit-depressents as a long term solution, in some isntances they can help bering about the stability needed to things back into perspective and get yourself back where you need to be.

Then, when you come off them at a later date, things are a lot better and the situation is improved, allowing you better to cope without them.

As I said, it's certainly not somethinjg I'd automatically recommend. And it may not be for you. But I think some people write them off entirely, when in actual fact they can be of some short term use.

Anyway mate, hang in there. Just remember that whenever you're on a down the only thing you can be 100% sure of is that at some stage the dip will reverse.

Edited by banjoted at 22:04:50 25-03-2007
  • Page

of 129 First / Last