Amsterdam... Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• DocX 15 Oct 2009 23:06:16 1,963 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never had any problem using tobacco when I went last month. They just ask you to keep it off the table.
  • thegamesthething 15 Oct 2009 23:31:13 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks all, I will be discrete with my evil tobacco.
  • thegamesthething 17 Oct 2009 22:23:23 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    having now spent several hours in 2 grasshoppers and a rokery, i can reportr very little has changed. top draw. v happy. 10/10. i want a fllat here.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Oct 2009 00:18:37 22,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice. Rockerij is fucking cool. Enjoy!

The Grumpy Vaper

• dnbuk 18 Oct 2009 01:14:20 4,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You went to the Grasshopper? Ouch.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Oct 2009 01:22:05 22,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never been myself, I heard it was a little touristy although I have heard they do pretty good grass, even though it may be a little more expensive. Sunday night I'd assume would be pretty much stag/chav free too.

The Grumpy Vaper

• Red-Moose 18 Oct 2009 01:38:10 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bitterzoet!
  • sirtacos 18 Oct 2009 02:07:54 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are chavs really that common in Dam? I've been twice and the closest thing to a chav I saw was a piss drunk bald fat Northerner who decided to sleep in one of the boats at 4am and almost fell overboard into the canal. Oh yeah, and a few Londoners trying to haggle with transvestite hookers. As well as the usual pub crowd.
  • Khanivor 18 Oct 2009 04:09:58 40,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not going back till they put more benches in around the city.
  • thegamesthething 18 Oct 2009 11:43:07 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spent the morning in 420. very nice. heading for Barneys this afternoon, if i can find it. Had a really nice tiime in both Grashoppers yesterday, good tunes and the football in the big one near the station, chattting to a french bodysurfer / underwear salesman / liverpool fan. And then the litte one on the Voodsomethingorother, just being very stoned and reading Games tm, which is the first games mag I've bought for years, and is very good.

i haven't got a blog.
  • Flightrisker 18 Oct 2009 12:25:42 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill O'Reilly clearly loves Amsterdam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w

Glad to hear some of ye liiing it here, although thewre is more to do than just smoke :)

Fantastic city, moved here from Dublin 2.5 years ago, I'll be staying here for a good while.
  • thegamesthething 18 Oct 2009 16:37:38 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Bill O'Reilly clearly loves Amsterdam
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPsFIsxM3w

Glad to hear some of ye liiing it here, although thewre is more to do than just smoke :)

Fantastic city, moved here from Dublin 2.5 years ago, I'll be staying here for a good while.

FL - I have presumptuously pm'ed you :)
  • PinkSpider 18 Oct 2009 16:41:04 3,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thegamesthething wrote:
    Spent the morning in 420. very nice. heading for Barneys this afternoon, if i can find it. Had a really nice tiime in both Grashoppers yesterday, good tunes and the football in the big one near the station, chattting to a french bodysurfer / underwear salesman / liverpool fan. And then the litte one on the Voodsomethingorother, just being very stoned and reading Games tm, which is the first games mag I've bought for years, and is very good.

i haven't got a blog.
    Is 420 the one near the sex museum? Think we went there. Sat next to the window/ radiator whilst it's raining and cold outside with a joint was mega.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2009 15:10:19
    Snakehips76 wrote:
    Stix Cafe. End of thread. I've never seen 80yo American grannies buying bongs anywere else before and it made me literally wet myself after a long session
    That was the first one we ever went into, in the middle of a pissing storm on the first night we got there. For some reason we'd completely failed to spot any coffee shops and were well off the beaten track and were wet and cold and pissed off and then LO there it was.

I've still got the lighter :)
  • Deleted user 28 November 2009 15:16:17
    We're heading back to the Dam for a few days next month, looking forward to a few days in the coffee shops and taking it easy.

So the tobacco ban - I see someone said they just had to keep it off the tables, but what about places where food is served? I'm thinking specifically of the Barney's restaurant. We don't mind smoking pure but if it's fine to be discrete about using tobacco that's better.
  • DocX 28 Nov 2009 15:39:30 1,963 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just ask, they won't be offended.
  • Xerx3s 28 Nov 2009 18:15:33 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You mean tobacco as in normal fags? Banned from cafes, restaurants, etc. Most places have special rooms for it and iirc smaller places (without employees) don't have to comply with the rules.

You will get away with smoking in most cafes/pups etc. but restaurants and such usually don't tolerate it (and rightly so, nothing as disgusting as someone smoking next to you while you're eating).
  • sirtacos 6 May 2010 19:51:27 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know of cool things to do in Amsterdam? I'm here for a couple of days and I've already done all the touristy shit.
  • timo180 6 May 2010 19:59:24 2,688 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How about the Museum of bags and purses?

It's wicked! :-D

http://www.tassenmuseum.nl/default.aspx?pagename=&language=EN
  • Beeper85 7 May 2010 01:38:45 135 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Amsterdam. the land of dreams. Last time there got wasted in many venues including bulldog Cafe then bought an onion and a block of cheese in the hope of simulating some sort of cheese and onion delight by taking a bite of each alternately to fulfil my munchies....
  • sirtacos 9 May 2010 03:53:38 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amsterdam's centre is really shit - actually to be honest the entire city seems like a tourist trap - but there are some nice less touristy areas that are nice.

Edit: but after spending 2 days in and out of the airport trying to leave Holland, I now hate that low-lying country full of humourless weirdos, craptastic weather and general shittiness. Schipol is a black hole of misery that - if you spend enough time around - will make you want to kill yourself.
  • Dizz 4 Jun 2010 12:20:13 49 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've lived for 30 years in Amsterdam, born and raised there, but every time I revisit it (3 years out of the city now), I want to get the fuck out of there as fast as possible. It's one huge pile of open construction sites. Everybody with a sane mind moved out ages ago.

Great for the tourists to smoke pot, not so great when your bloody neighbours have marihuana plantations in their house directly above/beside yours and are tapping your electricity connection.

Great when you're 18 and single, not so great when you're in your thirties, about to hit middle age and have 2 or 3 toddlers walking around.

Sirtacos: what do you expect from a country with an (about to be ex)PM who looks like Harry Potter....
  • Zerobob 4 Jun 2010 12:23:43 1,606 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmmm, I loved Amsterdam the 2 times I've stayed there, but maybe that's just cos I was wearing the rose-tinted tourist glasses. Day to day maybe it's a terrible place to actually live.

That said I think it's a beautiful place, especially after arriving back in Newcastle.

Oh and my favourite coffee shop is the Dampkring, as see in Oceans 12. In fact, in that scene they are sitting at my table, grrr :)
  • Flightrisker 4 Jun 2010 15:06:53 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've lived here 3 years and love it. And the whole pot/sex thing is only there as much as you want it to be. It very easy to avoid it it's not your thing.
  • kendoji 4 Jun 2010 19:11:27 318 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've lived here for five years now, and have mixed feelings. The whole seedy side can easily be avoided, and the city is very beautiful. My commute to work, consisting of a 10 minute bike ride along the canals, is a far cry from when I lived in Tottenham and took the tube to Victoria every day!

However, Amsterdam is absolutely jam-packed with people, which drives me insane especially in the summer. Tourists EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME. There is just no escape, you have people in your face all the time. Oh many of the Dutch are abominably rude.

I want to leave at some point and live somewhere quieter, but Holland is a great place to work. It's hardly been affected by the recent economic turmoil at all, unemployment is the lowest in Europe I think.
  • Big-Swiss 16 Mar 2011 15:30:31 8,087 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just booked a trip to Amsterdam, going for 4 days, the week before Easter.

it is my 4th trip to Amsterdam, this time I'm going with my gf.

I have done always a bit of sightseeing when I used to go, but it was more about the party side than anything else. I always regretted not seing the Anne Frank House, and now I will for sure visit it. also I never saw the ryksmuseum, only the rendbrand museum. So yeah, pretty excited!
  • Load_2.0 16 Mar 2011 15:34:15 19,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember waiting forever to be served in Amsterdam restaurants.

Prompt they ain't!
  • skuzzbag 16 Mar 2011 15:35:59 5,638 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My wife said the last time she went she was puking everywhere from getting too stoned.

Now she won't go and doesn't trust me to go on my own and not buy a big punnet o drugs and stay out for 4 days. (Which I would do).

I'll be there in spirit :(
  • Page

of 5 First / Last