• asphaltcowboy 11 May 2009 09:57:16 5,143 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Xerx3s wrote:
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Yes. Take the tram.

And get mugged.

i call bollocks, i worked in amsterdam for 3 months and took the tram everywhere and i never once got mugged.
    I call bollocks on this too! I was there for something over 9 months and it was always the fastest/easiest way to get around considering I didn't have a bicycle.
  • Ryze 11 May 2009 10:05:46 3,148 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    +1 to the tram over the taxis.

You're unlikeley to get mugged on the tram, but you'll definitely get raped by the taxi fare.
  • Xerx3s 11 May 2009 10:43:22 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amsterdam and Rotterdam are by far the worst cities in the country. They should put a wall around it and hire snake plissken.
  • tiddles 11 May 2009 10:47:42 3,555 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    I'm going to Amsterdam in July with a friend but it looks like our hotel (according to googlemaps) is 17mins from central Amsterdam by car.

Are taxi drivers likely to try and overcharge?

Do bears shit on the Pope?

Whereabouts is your hotel, roughly? You could consider renting bikes - cycling home in Amsterdam at 2pm while smashed is one of life's great unsung pleasures, everyone should try it...
  • THFourteen 11 May 2009 10:56:59 34,483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    or just pay for a weekend boat taxi ticket

i love the boat taxis.
  • dnbuk 11 May 2009 15:15:31 4,958 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers, guys will check out the trams. Only going to be there mon - thurs anyway =)
  • Deleted user 11 May 2009 15:17:40
    Trams are fine. Cycling and indeed walking around Amsterdam is a fucking perilous activity though. You'll be assaulted from all sides by traffic just hurtling across junctions from various directions, and seeing as trams run relatively quietly and bikes are practically silent, you'll want your wits about you.

Enjoy the drugs!
  • Mr_Sleep 11 May 2009 15:26:32 17,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Trams are fine. Cycling and indeed walking around Amsterdam is a fucking perilous activity though. You'll be assaulted from all sides by traffic just hurtling across junctions from various directions, and seeing as trams run relatively quietly and bikes are practically silent, you'll want your wits about you.

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience. The lack of demarkation between pavement, cycle lane and road is pretty interesting. Apparently pedestrians have right of way though.

Oh and I recommend the Mellow Yellow if you want a smoke somewhere.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kingnothing12 11 May 2009 15:40:39 577 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also recommend the Dampkringe and 420, had some really nice blueberry from there and the G13 amnesia from Damkring is probably the best i smoked during my trip in march. Oh and also if your into hash i recommend the Riffman hash which again can only be found at the Dampkringe.
  • dnbuk 11 May 2009 15:41:56 4,958 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is looking like a decent option;

http://www.iamsterdamcard.com/
  • Xerx3s 11 May 2009 15:45:46 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Avoid the bulldog franchise. Seems to be a tourist attraction these days. Go for the smaller places.
  • WoodenSpoon 11 May 2009 15:53:58 12,306 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tbh I've been to a really awful horrible bulldog but I've also been to a nice one with outside seats next to the canal and stuff, when we went there it was really sunny and lush.

There was a meth lab or something across the water tho
  • Mr_Sleep 11 May 2009 18:14:34 17,396 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    tbh I've been to a really awful horrible bulldog but I've also been to a nice one with outside seats next to the canal and stuff, when we went there it was really sunny and lush.

There was a meth lab or something across the water tho

I, unfortunately, ended up at the nasty one in the middle of Amsterdam as I didn't prepare myself by looking up the decent places before going out. It was a pretty horrible kind of place, it used to be a jail or something and it was dirty, dark and didn't exactly inspire a chilled out high.

The Mellow Yellow, recommended above, had a pool table which is pretty class in itself.

You are a factory of sadness.

• PinkSpider 11 May 2009 18:16:55 3,346 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    I also recommend the Dampkringe and 420, had some really nice blueberry from there and the G13 amnesia from Damkring is probably the best i smoked during my trip in march. Oh and also if your into hash i recommend the Riffman hash which again can only be found at the Dampkringe.
    420 was nice. Liked sitting in the window and having a smoke whilst it poured it down.

Also; tip from my mum: dont ask for directions. My mum did and then the guy insisted on monies for said information.

Lovely place, but very rough!
  • Deleted user 12 May 2009 10:31:09
    It's not the mugging you need to watch out for, it's the pickpocketing.

I would also recommend to anyone to see things outside of Amsterdam. Small country so it isn't hard to move around.
  • Deleted user 12 May 2009 11:13:47
    Provided you have the right equipment and a large workforce, you should be able to move the Netherlands at least a few inches to the right.
  • sirtacos 13 May 2009 20:42:27 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DamonF wrote:
    Yep, for a very cool bar go for the Rokerij (Rookery):

http://www.rokerij.net/

That looks amazing. And they have more than 1 location!

On my next visit I'm definitely spending some time there
  • Deleted user 13 May 2009 20:48:53
    Abraxas is awesome. It would definitely be my haunt of choice going back. Right oppostie the Supper Club, which is worth visiting once if you have the cash, but otherwise don't bother.

Rokerij was deeply uncomfortable, although very hippy friendly.
  • sirtacos 13 May 2009 21:00:29 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncomfortable because of the people there, or...?
  • Deleted user 13 May 2009 21:02:28
    Ah, sorry!

If I'm recalling correctly, it's the one where everyone mostly sits on wooden benches that are about 6 inches off the ground, and use tables that are the same sort of height. It's all very pretty, with wooden carvings everywhere and ambient light and Moroccan pillows, but I just couldn't get comfortable at all.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2009 21:04:41
    Also, you NEED to go to Benny's (I think it's called that?) and get some weed, then go across the road to their restaurant, skin up and order some breakfast or lunch or whatever. It's utterly fantastic food (a bit expensive, but you need to go) and it's great to sit back with a spliff and smoke away freely in a restaurant eating bacon and pancakes and maple syrup. Assuming you can still smoke weed spliffs there!

What's the latest on the smoking tobacco ban?
  • dnbuk 13 May 2009 21:07:53 4,958 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Also, you NEED to go to Benny's (I think it's called that?) and get some weed, then go across the road to their restaurant, skin up and order some breakfast or lunch or whatever. It's utterly fantastic food (a bit expensive, but you need to go) and it's great to sit back with a spliff and smoke away freely in a restaurant eating bacon and pancakes and maple syrup. Assuming you can still smoke weed spliffs there!

What's the latest on the smoking tobacco ban?

Apparently you have to smoke pure weed, no baccy allowed.
  • sirtacos 13 May 2009 21:08:10 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay then, that's doesn't sound too bad.. certainly seems better than most of the coffee shops I've been to, so I'll give it a go.
    Abraxas looks good too. And I'll try your Benny's thing because it sounds awesome.
  • thegamesthething 15 Oct 2009 20:38:51 1,079 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have just booked a weekend in Amsterdam on the spur of the moment. I havent been for about 2 years, anyone tell me the lastest on coffee shop culture :-

Can you still use tobacco anywhere, or do you have to use their aggregate stuff?

Will they sell herb to foreigners? I'm sure I read recently there was a proposal to ban selling to tourists?

Ta in advance, I hope nothing whatsoever has changed, love the place. Edit - actually, you could take all the Bulldogs, and the agressively pissed up shaven headed fuckwits that inhabit them, and drop them in a canal. But they are very easy to avoid :).

T-minus 40 hours or so to happiness.
  • sirtacos 15 Oct 2009 21:11:41 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You have to use the aggregate stuff, although in my experience the coffee shop staff let you use tobacco if you're not being obvious about it.

Yes, they sell herb to foreigners. Otherwise I'm sure Amsterdam's tourist economy would have collapsed overnight.

A lot has changed since 2007 - for instance the red light district is now considerably smaller (the mayor decided to replace hookers with overpriced clothing (probably manufactured by third world child labour - morality win) - but you'll have no trouble adjusting since in the big scheme of things nothing's really changed at all. It's still the same city and whatever you're looking for, you'll find without too much trouble.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2009 21:29:32
    Stix Cafe. End of thread. I've never seen 80yo American grannies buying bongs anywere else before and it made me literally wet myself after a long session
  • sirtacos 15 Oct 2009 21:30:05 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup. You may even get it for less*, although I saw no evidence of a price drop when I last went (august).

*According to various newspapers and financial magazines the recession has hit Amsterdam's hookers: fewer/poorer customers means putting out 2 for 1 offers and the like. Although I certainly didn't see any sales :)
  • creepylizard 15 Oct 2009 22:29:36 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Yup. You may even get it for less*, although I saw no evidence of a price drop when I last went (august).

*According to various newspapers and financial magazines the recession has hit Amsterdam's hookers: fewer/poorer customers means putting out 2 for 1 offers and the like. Although I certainly didn't see any sales :)
    God would that mean I'd have to do it TWICE in succession?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last