• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • DodgyPast 1 Dec 2007 11:54:30 8,333 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    What's all this blarney about WHDload I've heard mentioned? I take it it's some kind of hard drive mahoojit, but is it required?

It's a non freeware designed to run on proper amiga. It allows the installation of games on to the HD which aren't "supposed" to be installed on the HD.

I had a go with it and found in impenetrable. And I had an A500 back in the day.

Seeing you're just storing ADFs on your PCs harddrive anyway, there's probably not much benefit installing them again on a virtual HD within the emulator, as it's just a convenience thing really.
    God....

I might have another go... I did get as far as getting WHDload working a while ago.
    But that involved installing workbench and then some libraries and the WHDload, only for it to refuse to work with many games unless you registered it.

Using adf files is so much less of a headache unless you plan to play lots of games.

Though I do have to say Amikit is rather a crazy addition which I might have another play with some time.
  • Cappy 1 Dec 2007 11:56:03 11,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try it with a game that actually was full screen on a real Amiga.

I believe SWIV was full screen. Unfortunately the majority of Amiga games have bordering of some sort, normally at the bottom.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Dec 2007 11:56:53 36,280 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WHDLoad is a program for Workbench. To use it on WinUAE would mean making a configuration where you're emulating an Amiga with a hard-drive, and have it boot from the hard-drive on startup (which is how it would have worked on an actual Amiga if you had a HDD). Then you'd install WHDLoad, and then use it to install games to the emulated Amiga Hard-drive.

In other words it's fucking pointless IMO.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Dirtbox 1 Dec 2007 12:39:18 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Though I do have to say Amikit is rather a crazy addition which I might have another play with some time.
    What the hell is that for?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Retroid Moderator 1 Dec 2007 13:05:13 44,501 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WHDLoad is only *really* that useful if you're using real hardware, then it installs certain games / disk images to the hard drive and allows them to be booted from Workbench, and usually to quit out cleanly back to Workbench (not many Amiga games did this). Also means the games get fixed for incompatibilities with later chipsets.

In other words: if you're emulating, you don't need to bother most of the time.

As for the borders, it sounds like you'll need to put on pixel doubling when needed; the Amiga's graphics modes were a *LOT* more flexible than most other machines so WinUAE usually renders a full 640x480 screen with whatever the Amiga screenmode is plonked in the middle. If you put pixel doubling (at least, I think that's the name!) then it'll do exactly what it says on the tin and blow the screen up if the Amiga is doing a low-res mode.
  • Dirtbox 1 Dec 2007 13:09:12 76,334 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Excellent work!

Have a cat.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• DodgyPast 1 Dec 2007 13:23:36 8,333 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    DodgyPast wrote:
    What the hell is that for?
    Mixed with a copy of the 3.9CD IIRC you can install a full working environment with web browsers, mp3 players etc.

It's actually not all that difficult to setup and quite cool, but ultimately a little pointless.
  • Retroid Moderator 1 Dec 2007 13:29:17 44,501 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Excellent work!

Have a cat.
    \o/ CAT \o/
  • abdallah 3 Dec 2007 19:36:25 246 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No dudes, WHDLoad is great for emulation purposes if you spend some time emulating Amigas. Many games benefit from being installed on an HD and I think I remember a few games that required to be HD installed and still used WHDLoad.
    It's not such a big deal to set up a virtual HD and once you do you can play the 3D games on the monster of an Amiga that you could never afford back then. Also, just running a newer version of Workbench with millions of colors, high resolution and stuff is cool in itself. There's an emulator for the late Amiga graphics cards too, that you run with WinUAE, which lets you play some pretty advanced 3D games.
  • kentmonkey 2 Jan 2013 15:31:13 20,076 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay, I'm stil stuck with this.

So...I have winuae, latest version. I point the flopy disks at a game...it just boots up with the workbench disk and hand showing.

I try to install workbench 3.1...same thing happens.

Essentially I'm thick and can't get anything to run.

Can anybody point me to a really simple 'amiga emulation for thick as shit people' sites or (I've tried some instructions on lemon and that didn;t work), alternatively, PM me some instructions.

Kthxbye
  • nickthegun 2 Jan 2013 15:51:48 55,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have a kickstart ROM, presumably?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• MrTomFTW Moderator 2 Jan 2013 15:58:04 36,280 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's showing him the insert disk screen, then he has a kickrom.

Question: what are you actually trying to load?

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Retroid Moderator 3 Jan 2013 03:05:42 44,501 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SIX YEARS
  • Retroid Moderator 3 Jan 2013 03:06:48 44,501 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Basically, if the Disk Hand is showing then the disk you're pointing it at isn't bootable.

.ADF? Inserted into DF0?
  • kentmonkey 3 Jan 2013 10:03:52 20,076 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. .ADF inserted into DF0, then press start.

Disk hand. No matter what I throw at it. It's getting annoying. Tried about four different workbenches and about six games.

I wanna play Wizball god damnit (and Cannon Fodder).
  • Chopsen 3 Jan 2013 10:29:59 15,176 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh, I never did find a wizball rom for amiga (not that I looked very hard).

I can't understand why it's not loading from what you've described. Can you get *anything* to load?
  • kentmonkey 3 Jan 2013 10:33:21 20,076 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing.

It's me, I know it is, but what I'm doing wrong I don't know.
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Jan 2013 10:42:29 48,224 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The C64 version of Wizball shits all over the Amiga version. And VICE is really easy to get going. :)
  • DaM 3 Jan 2013 10:47:00 12,606 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually I had the same issue with this on the Pandora. Haven't gone back to fix it.

Might add more emu to my MAME project!

/adds to 2013 todo list...
  • Cappy 3 Jan 2013 11:20:21 11,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Nothing.

It's me, I know it is, but what I'm doing wrong I don't know.
    Make a copy of your .config file and put it in a safe place. There should be an option to make a new, default configuration, first thing you'll need to do is put the pathway in for the boot ROM you're using, see what happens when you boot a game using that.

If it works, adjust the options one by one, booting a game each time you make a change so you know what to change back if your new config breaks something.

For best compatibility, Kickstart 1.3 and 512K of chip memory with the OCS chip set. It's best to have separate configs for fast memory, one with 512K, one with none, and a separate config for playing Amiga 1200 games.
  • Sponz 3 Jan 2013 12:06:52 515 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just installed the latest version from the UAE website.

I installed the app to e:\UAE

I launched the emulator and set all the Paths to sub directories of the main install. So e:\UAE\ROMS and e:\UAE\ADF and e:\UAE\configurations (they're the only 3 you need to worry about for now.)

Make sure you've put a kickstart rom into the rom directory.

Put an ADF file into the ADF directory.

Goto the "Quickstart" bit of UAE, and select A500 from the drop down (I think that's the default.) Leave it on Default Configuration (for now) Select your image file. Click on OK.

I just did all of the above with Rick Dangerous and it worked as it should on Default, and even picked up my 360 pad thats plugged in.

Does it work with the default config?

Its a damn site easier these days than it was in 1997 when UAE stood for Unusable Amiga Emulator, and required god like skills with a DOS prompt.

:)

Edited by Sponz at 12:07:25 03-01-2013
  • neilka 3 Jan 2013 12:39:32 14,942 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a bad case of Disk Hand the month Sam Fox's Strip Poker came out
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next