The Official Drinking Hangover Recovery Thread

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:36:42 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok - we have a number of drinking hangover/general drinking threads - but none that answer my current question, so I thought I might try and start a "catch-all" thread for other users (as well as myself):

So, to kick things off: I have given up beer for Lent as part of a misguided attempt to lose a bit of xmas weight. The guys from work went out for lunch for the first time in ages, and I went out as well - insisting on wine. As a result I have drunk too much at lunch ...

....ok, so far, no real issues *BUT* tonight I am due to go out with some old work friends on the pop tonight, so I need to claim back some sober thoughts.

As a result I've got myself a burger king double whopper meal to bulk things out (a little late I know - I should of had that *before* I started drinking). And the question now is:

Does Alka Seltzer XS work in diet coke (L)?

Edited by kincaide at 15:38:07 01-03-2007
  • heyyo 1 Mar 2007 15:39:02 14,372 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted at 15:39:24 01-03-2007
  • El_MUERkO 1 Mar 2007 15:39:20 17,076 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago

only if you want to explode
  • heyyo 1 Mar 2007 15:40:48 14,372 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope.

Taken from here > http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000067.html

Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid form antacids by their effervescent reaction with water. They decrease the acidity of the stomach's juices, by binding to and neutralising excess acid. This helps to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion and settles the stomach.
  • billythekid 1 Mar 2007 15:43:28 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So to lose xmas weight you've taken to eating double whoppers?
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:44:29 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Nope.

Taken from here > http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000067.html

Sodium bicarbonate and citric acid form antacids by their effervescent reaction with water. They decrease the acidity of the stomach's juices, by binding to and neutralising excess acid. This helps to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion and settles the stomach.

SH!T!
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:44:47 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Yes, yes, I know - thanks Mum
  • billythekid 1 Mar 2007 15:45:18 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    Yes, yes, I know - thanks Mum

Just make sure you eat all the salad in them! ;)
  • nickthegun 1 Mar 2007 15:47:58 60,506 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So do you want to know the best way to recover from a hangover or the best way to avoid it?

Alka Seltzer/Resolve and water for the former, bready food and a pint of milk for the latter.

In my experience, anyway...

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:48:13 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Just make sure you eat all the salad in them! ;)
    LOL
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:50:00 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am still undecided regarding the following day and whether a full fry up helps on not. My experience is 60/40 in favour of the fry-up
    (sometimes it's too much and I barf)
  • billythekid 1 Mar 2007 15:52:48 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A few weekends ago I spent ages knocking up a full fried breakfast, sat down to eat it, decided i felt too sick and ended up throwing it all away.
  • Fat-Boy 1 Mar 2007 15:54:11 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't make up my mind whether this thread is making me want a bottle of wine, a few pints in the pub or a big fuck off burger, but frankly Sir, you are doing nothing for my waist line. Shame on you!
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:54:22 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    So, you're currently drunk? And at work?
    I wouldn't say drunk - mearly tipsy
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:54:55 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    I can't make up my mind whether this thread is making me want a bottle of wine, a few pints in the pub or a big fuck off burger, but frankly Sir, you are doing nothing for my waist line. Shame on you!

Cheers!
    /raise glass in triumph
  • Fat-Boy 1 Mar 2007 15:55:13 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    A few weekends ago I spent ages knocking up a full fried breakfast, sat down to eat it, decided i felt too sick and ended up throwing it all away.

I did something similar on Sunday morning. I ate it, but I discovered i really shouldn't be allowed to make fry ups, it tasted awful.
  • Fat-Boy 1 Mar 2007 15:55:59 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:

Cheers!
    /raise glass in triumph

I fear the eveing will end with all three options taken.
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:58:52 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Still dodgy though, innit? Unless you're the boss, it which case, don't worry about it :)
    The boss bought me all the wine - does that count? (and he was drinking too)
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 15:59:11 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    !BOOM!

Edited by kincaide at 15:59:35 01-03-2007
  • Fat-Boy 1 Mar 2007 16:01:19 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    Fat Boy wrote:
    !BOOM!

Edited by kincaide at 15:59:35 01-03-2007

Are you suggesting that I'm so fat that I'll literally explode if I consume all three items? I'm not an eight year old kid you know!
  • Stickman 1 Mar 2007 16:03:04 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My secret drinking tip thing, is to eat as many nuts as possible on the day before drinking. Natural nuts, not pub fare though. They contain some kind of something that helps the liver break down booze quicker, so they don't fill you up and stop you getting pissed, but they get rid of all the crap boozing produces in your liver, which is what gives you a hangover.

It's a winner!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• billythekid 1 Mar 2007 16:04:31 11,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    My secret drinking tip thing, is to eat as many nuts as possible on the day before drinking. Natural nuts, not pub fare though. They contain some kind of something that helps the liver break down booze quicker, so they don't fill you up and stop you getting pissed, but they get rid of all the crap boozing produces in your liver, which is what gives you a hangover.

It's a winner!

Yay, Guiness and peanuts ftw!
    The morning after will be great oh yes.
  • Universal_Hamster 1 Mar 2007 16:09:10 4,948 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm very curious to know if this pure oxygen canister would help those with overhangs. Sounds like a good way to wake up.

Edited by Universal Hamster at 16:09:41 01-03-2007
  • kincaide 1 Mar 2007 16:15:41 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

It's a winner!
    I have a rather large bag of "natural monkey nuts" (as in peanuts - not monkey testicles /glances at king_cnut) on my desk as we speak - could these help?
  • Red-Moose 1 Mar 2007 18:06:23 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kincaide wrote:

Stop drinking aspartame-containing filth like diet coke. It's pointless and also, normal Coca Cola is better for hangovers anyway.

I recommend fruit, and lots of it. Get a pineapple and and also eat 4 or five apples, and go for a run for 4-5km. You will feel great after it.

• DodgyPast 1 Mar 2007 18:12:24 8,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kincaide wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    So, you're currently drunk? And at work?
    I wouldn't say drunk - mearly tipsy
    How long did this response take to type?

If it was less than a minute then definitely tipsy.

If you edited it 10 times before posting you might be stretching the truth.

One year my colleagues gave me a two hour boozy lunch fo my birthday which was finished with a shot of absynthe.

The next day when I checked through my sent items folder they were all in 'drunk speak'.... which fortunately whilst as embarrassing as leet speak is a lot more funny.
    They were all internal or to clients who were mates as well.
  • DodgyPast 1 Mar 2007 18:13:46 8,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Universal Hamster wrote:
    I'm very curious to know if this pure oxygen canister would help those with overhangs. Sounds like a good way to wake up.

It does work.... A nameless dive company on Koh Tao had a real disaster when a client died because the divemasters had sniffed all the oxygen using it to calm hangovers.
  • Stickman 1 Mar 2007 18:15:43 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Universal Hamster wrote:

It does work.... A nameless dive company on Koh Tao had a real disaster when a client died because the divemasters had sniffed all the oxygen using it to calm hangovers.

I've found that they work, but as soon as you stop using them, your hangover kicks in. So basically, yeah, own a scuba school or don't bother!

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• RevanEleven 1 Mar 2007 18:26:05 2,076 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My cure: Andrews liver salts when you get up, followed by a fry-up, wait 2 hours, then have a couple of pints at the local. Sorted.
  • kincaide 2 Mar 2007 08:53:26 5,067 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man, I feel sh!t.

Wine hurts
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous