How do I get surround sound out of my Wii?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Balli 28 Feb 2007 20:11:42 18 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know the Wii only does Dolby Pro Logic II, but how do I connect my Wii to my Receiver, etc. to get surround sound?

At the moment I have my Wii connected to my HDTV using Component cables.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2007 20:13:58
    Write your wishes on an envelope and throw it in the air. The man in the moon shall pluck it from the air and cast his moonbeams down for a chorus of angels to fly down and position themselves as rear speakers.
  • Micro_Explosion 28 Feb 2007 20:15:32 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried Gremmi's suggestion.

It didn't work :(
  • Deleted user 28 February 2007 20:15:50
    /picks ip Gremmi-English dictionary

It would seem that the translation goes something like...

Gremmi wrote:
    The Wii doesn't do surround sound
  • Der_tolle_Emil 28 Feb 2007 20:16:00 7,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You simply connect the two audio leads to any of your stereo inputs on your receiver. If your receiver is able to change decoders for the inputs you simply select Pro Logic II for the input you connected your Wii to and you are set.

There are some (a lot?) of receivers where you cannot change the decoder and thus they only accept real surround signals on designated inputs. You might be out of luck if you have one of those.

Best bet is to simply try it out. Could not hurt either to have Rogue Galaxy for the cube with you as it has a nice audio test menu to test your surround setup.
  • sunjumper 28 Feb 2007 20:18:25 3,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Balli wrote:
    I know the Wii only does Dolby Pro Logic II, but how do I connect my Wii to my Receiver, etc. to get surround sound?

At the moment I have my Wii connected to my HDTV using Component cables.

Any help would be appreciated.

Simply connect the sound wires from your video cable to your amplifier which will use its remarkable electron brain to decode the surround information hidden in the stereo signal.
    Be sure to set your amplifier to a Dolby Pro Logic II setting.

That's all.

Edit: Too late...

Edited by sunjumper at 20:19:37 28-02-2007
  • Balli 28 Feb 2007 20:23:14 18 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    You simply connect the two audio leads to any of your stereo inputs on your receiver. If your receiver is able to change decoders for the inputs you simply select Pro Logic II for the input you connected your Wii to and you are set.

There are some (a lot?) of receivers where you cannot change the decoder and thus they only accept real surround signals on designated inputs. You might be out of luck if you have one of those.

Best bet is to simply try it out. Could not hurt either to have Rogue Galaxy for the cube with you as it has a nice audio test menu to test your surround setup.

Thank you for the reply. I had a spare pair of audio cables lying around. I just connected them to the Audio Out on my TV to my receiver, and viola... I now have 'surround sound' while playing Wind Waker on my Wii!
  • Carrybagma 28 Feb 2007 20:30:26 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hooray! There's an old thread lurking around somewhere on this forum explaining how it works, but basically, the GC & the Wii offer a limited (but effective) surround effect using PLII. It cannot 'address' a single speaker, but it does do pairs e.g. front, back, left, right. Most surround processors use filters to send the .1 to a subwoofer, so you're unlikely to miss anything there too.

Some older forumites who really appear to know their stuff claimed that the GC sound was pretty good for 'only' being PLII. I assume the Wii is at least on a par.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 28 Feb 2007 20:54:26 7,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm no expert but does it really make a difference? I mean Pro Logic II is Pro Logic II; The sound has to be encoded the same otherwise the receiver cannot decode it.

And yes, Pro Logic II is quite sufficient most of the time. I mean, who has the ability to really set up a surround system like it should be set up, not every room is fit. And who sits exactly at the right position all the time so everything sounds like it should sound? I know some do but for the rest Pro Logic II should suffice most of the time.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2007 21:16:33
    I've heard some people really pan Dolby Pro Logic II, but as far as I can tell with my cheapola Pioneer DVD/Amp/Surround combo, it's no better or worse than the Dolby Pro Logic from my 360.

I mean sure I'll accept that the signal is purer, more efficient and transmitted much quicker using optical cables but 5.1 is 5.1 is 5.1 and is there really that much of a difference?

Or at worst, is there a difference that can be noticed on a typical budget home setup?

Or am I a complete audio noob and am talking utter arse?

Edited by HairyArse at 21:53:02 28-02-2007
  • rock27gr 28 Feb 2007 21:51:02 5,587 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carrybagma wrote:
    Hooray! There's an old thread lurking around somewhere on this forum explaining how it works, but basically, the GC & the Wii offer a limited (but effective) surround effect using PLII. It cannot 'address' a single speaker, but it does do pairs e.g. front, back, left, right. Most surround processors use filters to send the .1 to a subwoofer, so you're unlikely to miss anything there too.

Some older forumites who really appear to know their stuff claimed that the GC sound was pretty good for 'only' being PLII. I assume the Wii is at least on a par.

PLII does adress speakers; t can sent sound to any individual speaker in a 5 speaker surround system, if coded correctly, though it doesn't feature a dedicated .1 channel, but, as you said, this is taken care of by the receiver's proccesor.
  • Carrybagma 1 Mar 2007 01:13:45 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rock27gr wrote:
    PLII does adress speakers; t can sent sound to any individual speaker in a 5 speaker surround system, if coded correctly,
    I didn't know that. I can't find the right thread either - it was a silentbob job, so it should be last word on the subject. :o)

@Der_tolle_Emil: It's definitely worth setting up surround properly, otherwise why bother at all? You may as well stick with stereo. Apart from the Rogue Squadron (GC) TIE fighter effect, I think my favourite was from Pikmin2, when the spaceship takes off at the end of the day. The rocket sound has a nice fade from front to rear speakers, producing an 'overhead' effect to match what happens on screen. No big deal, but it's a nice little touch you'd never notice unless you had surround speakers set up.

• DjEssence 5 Nov 2010 22:22:15 4 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have my Wii audio cables plugged into my receiver which is prologic II but there is a terrible delay in the sound, anyone know why?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2010 22:24:43
    phAge is our resident audio cable expert. He'll know.
  • dominalien 5 Nov 2010 22:30:09 7,016 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The receiver's probably set for the delay. Did you mess with its options?

PSN: DonOsito

• DjEssence 5 Nov 2010 23:33:05 4 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On my remote control for the receiver i have a "sound" button. Messed around with that but nothing changed.
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2010 00:26:30 29,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're a DJ, you work it out.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DjEssence 6 Nov 2010 04:02:07 4 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whats DJing have to do with that? Anyone else have this problem?
  • Scurrminator 6 Nov 2010 08:02:44 8,436 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just plug the red n White audio cables into the amp

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next