M83

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • asha 24 Feb 2007 20:22:46 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This band is amazing, epic rock/electronic music without the slightest bit of pretension or cliché. I love their sound so much I'm thinking about basing my end of year video project at college on one of their albums.

So who else likes them? If you've never heard them then that's what myspace is for :D

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• mouse Moderator 24 Feb 2007 20:38:00 10,312 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I heard a couple of their songs a long while ago - quite liked the sound! Like fizzy electronic post-rock, quite an interesting take on the formula.
  • bainbrge 24 Feb 2007 20:43:20 1,687 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    there's a Jackson & His Computer band remix of "Run into Flowers" which is aces.
  • gaystation3 8 May 2007 19:55:16 51 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • HoraceGoesSquiffy 17 May 2008 16:22:47 1,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a new album out - "Saturdays = Youth".

"Skin of the Night" is awesome in a hilarious kind of way in that it sounds like the music from one of Crockett's moody montage moments driving around the city wrestling with his conscience in Miami Vice.

or the bit in "Manhunter" where he keeps staring out of rain-soaked windows saying "Damn it I *will* catch you!"

God bless Michael Mann.

"Graveyard Girl" is probably my favourite - great pop tune that sounds like loads of other great records rolled into one (Heroes / MBV / Death in Vegas anyone?) but has an ace emo-girl monologue about graveyards in it.

I put in on in the office, but was told to "turn this shit off". :D
  • EddieBear 17 May 2008 17:14:52 560 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed. Awesome band. New album is excellent too. I think my favourite track is 'we own the sky'
  • gimo80 19 May 2008 12:04:04 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's odd, I never heard of this band until yesterday, and then I find a thread about it! Well I've only heard Moonchild which was extremely atmospheric and epic, so I'm interested to see what else they have on offer.

And wow, Pitchfork gave that album 8.6 too :o
  • Deleted user 19 May 2008 12:08:39
    gimo80 wrote:
    And wow, Pitchfork gave that album 8.6 too :o

IT MUST BE GOOD
  • gimo80 19 May 2008 12:10:01 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TELL ME ABOUT IT.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2008 12:16:21
    :D
  • gimo80 19 May 2008 12:20:49 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, they've given a lot of my favourite albums terrible scores, and that does not make me a happy bear.

It annoys me that they're just so critical, so when an album actually gets a good score it's like excuse me?

GO PITCHFORK.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2008 12:27:28
    They're a mixed bag for me. They recommend some really great stuff (Dodos, Deerhunter, Animal Collective, Battles etc. etc. There's a lot of music I wouldn't have heard without going on it), but they're just as likely to hype up stuff that's absolute dirge IMO (Vampire Weekend, M83, Cut Copy, Fleet Foxes, Deerhoof are a few that spring to mind).

So while I do make a point of listening to music that gets a good score on it, I actually make up my own mind about it rather than forcing myself to like it like a lot of people do (not aiming that at anyone, BTW!).
  • gimo80 19 May 2008 12:32:21 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed. I don't mindlessly go out and get an album by a band I have never heard of either. For example, and I know people might kill me for this, but I went by their recommendation of Arcade Fire's Funeral (a 9.7 score I think), and although I can appreciate the album, I can't seem to actually get into it.

Also, it upsets me that they seem to hate The Mars Volta so much. I'm sure there are many haters out there, but surely Frances doesn't deserve a 2?

Oh yeah, M83 rocks hah :p
  • asha 19 May 2008 12:33:17 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow I've been looking for a good electro band and then low and behold I go and rediscover one in my own thread lol I that must count as irony

Their new album's alright, I've only heard 2 songs from it though so far so I need to give the full album a listen. I'd say I still definitely prefer Before the dawn heals us though.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• gimo80 19 May 2008 12:33:48 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and by the way, I've seen Deerhoof live (they were supporting for The Flaming Lips), and I must say, it was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard -_-
  • Deleted user 19 May 2008 12:49:35
    gimo80 wrote:
    Agreed. I don't mindlessly go out and get an album by a band I have never heard of either. For example, and I know people might kill me for this, but I went by their recommendation of Arcade Fire's Funeral (a 9.7 score I think), and although I can appreciate the album, I can't seem to actually get into it.

Also, it upsets me that they seem to hate The Mars Volta so much. I'm sure there are many haters out there, but surely Frances doesn't deserve a 2?

They totally overrated Funeral. It's a great album, but a 9.7? Er, no. Low 9s for me.

And The Mars Volta are great, heh. I went off them for a bit (unfortunately just as I saw them live), but they're good stuff.

M83... don't get it. Listened to Graveyard Girl a few times, and it's just... meh.

The Deerhoof album I listened to (Friend Opportunity) is distinctly average. Good opening 2 tracks (The Perfect Me and +81) and it's all downhill from there.
  • gimo80 19 May 2008 13:00:18 130 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We were all totally stumped when we were listening to Deerhoof, it seemed like none of the songs actually went anywhere. Just this weird experimentation that was really skitzo with this crazy ass little Japanese girl singing!

Yeah, The Mars Volta rock - I'm watching them at Camden Lock soon, but we're staying in a 2 star hotel that's really run down and skanky. Nice.

I'm gonna give M83 a bit more of a listen, but it didn't sound like the most exciting electronic music ever - Matmos, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin are the shit :)

Oh, and Bjork, but no one I know likes her!

• urban 19 May 2008 13:11:19 10,942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    they did an awesome remix for bloc party on silent alarm remixed.
  • TakeTheVeil 19 May 2008 13:20:53 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seen them live a couple of week back. They were only alright..
  • asha 19 May 2008 13:28:19 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    gimo80 wrote:

M83... don't get it. Listened to Graveyard Girl a few times, and it's just... meh.

I don't really like that song either, listen to Couleurs off their new album it's a much better example of what makes them so good.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• HoraceGoesSquiffy 19 May 2008 19:44:21 1,566 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    asha wrote:
    I don't really like that song either, listen to Couleurs off their new album it's a much better example of what makes them so good.

You see that's the funny thing about taste in music - that one I actually found a bit dull. But then, horses for courses - I keep listening to "Sister Christian" at the moment so what do I know? (It's the song playing in "Boogie Nights" at the crazy guys flat where his 'boy' is letting off firecrackers. American MOR synth soft rock at its awesomest.)
  • EddieBear 24 Sep 2008 23:29:18 560 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UK tour dates announced at his MySpace page

There's a mixture of headline dates and dates where he's supporting Kings of Leon for their UK tour (I think).
  • mouse Moderator 24 Sep 2008 23:35:46 10,312 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    gimo80 wrote:
    We were all totally stumped when we were listening to Deerhoof, it seemed like none of the songs actually went anywhere. Just this weird experimentation that was really skitzo with this crazy ass little Japanese girl singing!

Yep. What's your point? ;) Hehe.

/loves Deerhoof
  • boo 25 Sep 2008 00:16:30 11,752 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The only M83 I've got is 'Before The Dawn Heals Us', which I think is great.

Anybody know how the new album compares with this? I've heard the style can vary wildly from one album to another.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 25 September 2008 00:19:17
    Dead cities and ghosts(i think it's called) is good.
    I don't have any others.
  • HitchHiker 25 Sep 2008 07:58:25 2,770 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Before the Dawn Heals Us has some cracking tracks, a few are used on Top Gear. Not heard any of their other stuff though,
  • M83J01P97 25 Sep 2008 12:33:59 6,595 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Digital Shades Vol. 1' is great if you like retro ambient music like Brian Eno and Vangelis. But his last album 'Saturdays = Youth' is more 80's synth pop influenced. Both good, but not really as good as his first three albums.
  • urban 17 Dec 2011 10:35:16 10,942 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83 interview with the Guardian

On advertising: "If you asked me five years ago, I would have said, 'No, I don't want my music to be used unless it's for something important and classy,'" he says. "But now I feel good about it, because first of all I have to make money, and I'm not going to make money from record sales. Second, it's an opportunity for people to hear my music who'd never listen to it otherwise."
  • Red-Moose 7 Feb 2013 22:03:33 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This album, "Hurry Up We're Dreaming" by M83 must be the most amazing album I have heard in a decade. It is like Bladerunner meets electro meets fucking the future or something. Absolutely fantastic, I have listened to the whole two discs (special edition comes with some remixes on a third disc) through 9 times in total since I got it from Amazon last week.

Yes - and actual disc, not download.

Edited by Red-Moose at 22:04:15 07-02-2013
  • boo 7 Feb 2013 22:18:05 11,752 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red-Moose wrote:

It is like Bladerunner meets electro meets fucking the future or something.
    I've just bought 'Hurry Up We're Dreaming' on the strength of this one sentence.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous