"This game requires an update from XBOX Live"

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • brooza 22 Feb 2007 10:59:31 171 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My friend has just got hold of Crackdown, but when she puts it in, it says that she needs an update from XBOX Live to play it, but she isn't connected to the Internet.

    Is there no way for her to play it without going online?
  • brooza 22 Feb 2007 11:05:19 171 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's definately not connected.

    I'll find out the exact message from her tonight
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Feb 2007 11:06:52 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well that sucks.
  • DutchDemons 22 Feb 2007 11:23:35 169 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    odd yes, but i had a similar situation

    after my fourth xbox finally returned, i wasn't even connected to Live, but it said i had to download the firmware update..not only that, but it actually downloaded it...

    strangest thing (if you are a layman like me)...in the dasboard it said i wasn't connected yet and i my settings weren't even properly entered yet.

    somehow it connected

  • Paulanator 22 Feb 2007 11:27:44 491 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DutchDemons wrote:
    odd yes, but i had a similar situation

    after my fourth xbox finally returned, i wasn't even connected to Live, but it said i had to download the firmware update..not only that, but it actually downloaded it...

    strangest thing (if you are a layman like me)...in the dasboard it said i wasn't connected yet and i my settings weren't even properly entered yet.

    somehow it connected



    It must be something to do with the game recognizing that the consoles firmware is not up to date.

    The console can't connect to Live without your knowledge or any physical connection between the console and your phone line. Unless of course it's some sort of magic...
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Feb 2007 11:50:14 44,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DutchDemons wrote:
    strangest thing (if you are a layman like me)...in the dasboard it said i wasn't connected yet and i my settings weren't even properly entered yet.

    somehow it connected
    My guess is that it simply needs a connection to the internet *full stop* to download firmware updates & the like, nothing to do with your 360 profile or any other settings.
  • Pirotic Moderator 22 Feb 2007 11:52:26 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    when no internet connection is found it searchs for it on the inserted disk, sadly microsoft assume everybody is online and so don't make the message prompts explain this - instead it'll look like it's downloading it when infact it copies it from the disk to the temporary file partition then runs it (or memory card if you don't have a hdd).

    The game disk will have the update on it, so just tell her to click 'ok' despite her not having the internet and it should find it on the disk and install it, abeit with confusing "downloading now" messages.

    Edited by Pirotic at 11:53:38 22-02-2007
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Feb 2007 11:55:32 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    when no internet connection is found it searchs for it on the inserted disk, sadly microsoft assume everybody is online and so don't make the message prompts explain this - instead it'll look like it's downloading it when infact it copies it from the disk to the temporary file partition then runs it (or memory card if you don't have a hdd).

    The game disk will have the update on it, so just tell her to click 'ok' despite her not having the internet and it should find it on the disk and install it, abeit with confusing "downloading now" messages.
    Wait....! So if you have an internet connection it'll go online and download the update even though it's already sitting on the bloody disc?

    Surely that's even more retarded?
  • w00t 22 Feb 2007 11:57:59 11,122 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not if there is a newer update on Live than on the disc...

    The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

    (the mic was OK in the end)

  • manuel_garcia 22 Feb 2007 12:00:34 4,079 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cant you just cancel out of the update anyway and the game will still run?
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Feb 2007 12:06:32 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    Not if there is a newer update on Live than on the disc...
    But you only want to play the game. Shouldn't it give you the choice?
  • w00t 22 Feb 2007 12:10:12 11,122 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    New update may be to close a security hole, hence the box checks Live first before checking the disc as the one on Live will be at least the same version if not newer than the one on the disc.

    The message does sound as if it should be worded better.

    The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

    (the mic was OK in the end)

  • brooza 23 Feb 2007 08:59:41 171 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She clicked "Yes" to the update, and it started installing, but when it reset, it said that the update failed and to contact MS
  • Pirotic Moderator 23 Feb 2007 09:02:24 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just get her to download the latest update from the website and burn it to a CD and install it that way, it's most likely just a problem with the update data held on the disk.
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply