Super Paper Mario Page 2

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• T.G. 7 Mar 2007 23:38:00 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @disussedgenius: Whatever it is we've got, I think we'll agree, it's fucking sound! I mean, Thousand Year Door was fucking great, and I believe it's the same developers (Intelligent Systems, isn't it?) so if they put RPG elements into it (and they obviously are, with powering up being in there at any rate) on top of some old school Mario platforming, well, that's just fucking splooge city... :D :D :D

/goes away to bed for a while
    /is all splooged out for one day
  • Deleted user 7 March 2007 23:41:49
    Aye, but imagine playing that game WITH comedy.

I think you'll find that that's less splooge city and more 'fuck me, that's a hell of a lot of slooge Noah, time to build one of them Ark things to save the earth before everything drowns and our world is lost forever'.
  • T.G. 8 Mar 2007 00:08:32 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @disussedgenius: +1 and also :D
  • MadMirko 8 Mar 2007 08:14:03 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cubed3 posted tutorial footage from GDC it's nice because it shows the 2D/3D switching to get around obstacles. Very simple, but it's the tutorial after all.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 8 Mar 2007 08:19:02 7,008 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wired.com impressions:

It's been nearly a year since they announced Super Paper Mario, and I just got my hands on it. Hoo boy. This is the game to be excited about. As you can see from this one image that I stole from the internet, you can flip the game's perspective back and forth between 2D and 3D. Since you can do it at any time, that means they can hide all kinds of secrets. I think there will be a lot to do in Super Paper Mario, owing to this fact.

It felt great. Is the platforming gameplay as tight as New Super Mario Bros.? No, but then, it doesn't have to be, as the focus is really on exploration. You've seen screenshots that show a gigantic pixelated Mario stomping his way through a level, but what you haven't seen are the little tiny Marios that you can pick up from time to time. They'll surround you ten at a time, then attack enemies as you run along. Very fun.

The other thing I feel compelled to mention is that if you point the Wii remote directly at the screen, the action pauses, and you can then click on things in the immediate area to get descriptions about them -- and maybe helpful hints. "Try flipping here," for example. Helpful! And, again, adding to the already deep gameplay.

Anything I didn't like, you ask? I was a bit wierded out by the fact that you have to shake the remote to get a timed hit on an enemy when you jump on them. So as you land on something, if you shake the Wiimote, you'll get a NICE! message and applause from the "crowd" of characters watching Mario perform. Kind of like Wonder Momo! But shaking the Wiimote all the damn time seems like it might distract from the otherwise fast-paced action. We'll see how it works when the final game launches in early April. Not long now!

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/gdc_super_paper.html

Sounds good, although LBP has stolen my heart!
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Mar 2007 10:06:35 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watched the tutorial videos over at GameTrailers and... oh dear. Technically very impressive, looks lovely, but sadly ruined by turning it into Super Mario Bros. Again.

You lot'll probably love it.
  • Deleted user 8 March 2007 10:10:43
    I thought you didn't like the RPG bits anyway?

Blerk = a woman
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Mar 2007 10:12:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The combat was alright, if a bit basic. And I didn't hate it, I just didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone made it out to be.

Now, Super Mario Bros I do hate. Like a particularly ginger half-cousin!
  • Deleted user 8 March 2007 10:18:10
    Ah! Welll... er... carry on then...

Blerk != a woman
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Mar 2007 10:28:02 23,866 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't wait for this game

;)

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• famous_roy 8 Mar 2007 11:41:53 4,102 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My most anticipated game of this year on any system. Loved 1000 year door with a flying passion, this game just looks ridiculous.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• TheBear 8 Mar 2007 11:43:29 4,509 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do we know a UK release date as yet? 9th April for the US..

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/771/771359p1.html
  • adinus 8 Mar 2007 12:14:12 302 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheBear wrote:
    Do we know a UK release date as yet? 9th April for the US..

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/771/771359p1.html

No European date has been announced yet, but IIRC Nintendo are making a speech at GDC later on today, so may announce it then.

BUT there's something going on with their shares which may mean they have to keep shtum about anything they plan to do in the future so their shares aren't influenced.
  • T.G. 8 Mar 2007 12:44:44 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk in "I don't like that" shocker. I must say, I am not surprised. It must be hard work reporting on all of the things you don't like Blerk. Why not just mention the ones you do? ;P
  • Blerk Moderator 8 Mar 2007 12:50:16 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    T.G. wrote:
    Blerk in "I don't like that" shocker. I must say, I am not surprised. It must be hard work reporting on all of the things you don't like Blerk. Why not just mention the ones you do? ;P
    I like the sound of my own typing.
  • T.G. 8 Mar 2007 13:17:31 5,989 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    T.G. wrote: Blerk in "I don't like that" shocker. I must say, I am not surprised. It must be hard work reporting on all of the things you don't like Blerk. Why not just mention the ones you do? ;P
    Blerk wrote: I like the sound of my own typing.
    Meh, I find the sound of your typing average, and the use of the lower case is so clichéed... ;P
  • Deleted user 9 March 2007 11:16:02
    Interesting hands-on over at IGN:

here
  • OnlyMe 9 Mar 2007 11:29:00 3,104 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The video surprised me, I was expecting a New Super Mario Bros but with paper graphics. It looks nice, I look more forward to this than Galaxy, for some reason.
  • yupyup 9 Mar 2007 11:31:31 3,680 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like that you can swap between 2D/3D at any time, I was worried it would be at certain points etc.

Is it just me though, or is Mario on a 'strict axis' in 3D, just seemed a little odd the way he was moving?

Hands Off Our Penises

• MadMirko 9 Mar 2007 11:56:55 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yupyup wrote:
    Is it just me though, or is Mario on a 'strict axis' in 3D, just seemed a little odd the way he was moving?

I think he isn't. It just looks odd, because he is still 2D, just turned a little sideways.
  • JYM60 9 Mar 2007 12:02:40 16,812 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it true that this is all that is on nintendos radar.Nintendo's Wii release schedule is without a doubt the worst I have ever seen. Aside from Super Paper Mario it's nothing but re-heated games from other platforms (PoP, Bust-a-Move, Brain Train) and crappy licenses.

April 9 - Super Paper Mario - Nintendo
    April - Prince of Persia Rival Swords - Ubisoft
    April - Bust-A-Move Bash - Majesco
    April - Bioncle Heroes - Eidos
    May 15 - Mortal Kombat: Armageddon - Midway
    May 29 - Mario Party 8 - Nintendo
    May - Tamagotchi Party On - Namco Bandai
    May - Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Disney Interactive
    May - Escape from Bug Island - Eidos
    May - Spider-Man The Movie 3 - Activision
    June 11 - Big Brain Academy - Nintendo
    June 25 - Pokemon Battle Revolution - Nintendo
    June - Cosmic Family - Ubisoft
    Spring - Heatseeker - Codemasters
    Q2 - Legend of the Dragon - American Game Factory
    Summer - Shrek the Third - Activision
    Summer - Transformers the Game - Activision

Please say it isnt so.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Deleted user 9 March 2007 12:18:40
    Well there's only SPM and Heatseeker on that list really, but the Gameplay Release list has these which might be good:

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
    Trauma Center - Second Opinion
    Mercury Meltdown Revolution
    SSX Blur
    Metal Slung

And you never know, EA maight make Godfather woth playing... maybe...

Amazon also have a game called Tennis Masters apparantly for release on March 30th made by System 3. Haven't heard anything about it though.

And I also forgot about Elebits.
  • MadMirko 11 Mar 2007 17:39:07 2,974 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Please say it isnt so.

Ok: It isn't so. Disussedgenius gave you some reasons why not, and there are more. Use Google, ffs. But then again, you were trying to troll, so I understand.

But back to the topic.

Blerk wrote:
    The combat was alright, if a bit basic. And I didn't hate it, I just didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone made it out to be.

Combat seems pretty much like what others did, taking the turn based combat and making it real-time-but-pausable-at-any-time. At least that's the impression I get from the 8th March video from IGN, where at one point the player selects a fire attack to hit 2 enemies simultaneously.

While I'm generally not a fan of that mechanic, it cuts down the time needed for all the filler / random battles which you can handle in real time.
  • richardiox 14 Mar 2007 14:39:44 5,581 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is begining to annoy me now. The game is less than a month away from release in USA/Jap and yet we still havent got a Euro release date.

I can deduce from the fact they havent even announced a date yet that it's not going to be here before June. All I want between now and then is Elebits. Will probably trade Kororinpa for Mercury when that comes out too.
  • Sid-Nice 28 Mar 2007 22:41:10 15,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    YES.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Micro_Explosion 28 Mar 2007 22:44:47 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid Nice wrote:
    YES.

\o/
  • northernlights 28 Mar 2007 23:16:30 653 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    still cant see a release date ???? This is very strange.
  • Sid-Nice 28 Mar 2007 23:26:44 15,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    northernlights wrote:
    still cant see a release date ???? This is very strange.
    April the 9th US and sometime in May for Europe.

NNID Sid-Nice

• northernlights 28 Mar 2007 23:30:09 653 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ah cool. Never played a paper mario game might be worth a look.
  • IMadeThis 29 Mar 2007 00:04:33 1,036 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It will be DEFINITELY worth a look. If you've got a Wii, definitely try The GC version. It's more rpg'y but it's the most recent game that's had me wanting to get on it as soon as I get up in a morning/afternoon. I like a good start/progress/finish game and it was the creme de la creme imo.

Anticipation for Paper Mario>Galaxy for me
  • Page

of 21 First / Last