Hotels in New York

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • manuel_garcia 19 Feb 2007 13:48:22 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes I know we've had umpteen threads dedicated to New York in the past, but not one specifically about hotel recommendations as far as I can remember.

Just doing a bit of research before the road trip later in the year. I've been to NY before but I stayed at Columbia University so haven't got any reference on hotels unfortunately.

So, where did you stay? How much did it cost? Did you hear any gunfire? If you lit the room with a crime-scene lamp could you see it from outer space?
  • Dirtbox 19 Feb 2007 14:02:47 78,182 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Young man!
    There's no reason to feel down,
    I said,
    Young man!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• myiagros 19 Feb 2007 14:06:11 1,346 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am also looking at going to NY in the near future and have heard excellent recommendations for a place called Night.

It looks quite funky and is supposed to be well run, conveniently located and reasonably priced.
  • Dougs 19 Feb 2007 14:06:33 67,722 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Radio City Apartments got a glowing review from my gf....cheap too apparently
  • DrCongo 19 Feb 2007 14:07:48 912 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    a couple of years ago on our honeymoon month in the US we stayed for two weeks at Hotel Wolcott. The room was nice, the lobby is wonderfully OTT in a days-of-old, a bit decrepit, kind of way - just look at the pictures on the website - yes it does look like that :D

And best of all, the location is excellent (a couple of blocks from the Empire State Building, a couple of blocks from Madison Square Garden), and at $100 a night for a room for two I thought the price was quite a bargain.

...looking at it now, looks like their prices have shot up quite a bit. Boo. :(

If you decide to stay at the Wolcott, check out Brooklyn Bagel Cafe almost directly across 5th Ave for awesome breakfast bagels & stuff.

/wants to go back to NYC
  • myiagros 19 Feb 2007 14:07:56 1,346 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Radio City Apartments got a glowing review from my gf....cheap too apparently

yeah, i have heard great things about them too, but it always seems to be booked up a long time in advance.
  • kalel 19 Feb 2007 14:10:47 87,685 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My only advice is to go somewhere with a decent rep. I stayed one night in a cheap hotel when I found myself in a bit of a stranded type situation, and just went for the first one I could find. It was terrifying, like something out of a horror film. Cockroaches, nasty stains on the walls, ominous screams in the night etc. Very unpleasant indeed.
  • GrandTheftApu 19 Feb 2007 14:13:55 6,119 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I stayed in the YMCA on the upper west side

/shudders
  • manuel_garcia 19 Feb 2007 14:18:16 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah i've heard good things about Radio City Apartments as well but they're all booked up unfortunately.

Good suggestions though, keep em coming!
  • TheSaint 19 Feb 2007 14:20:05 14,388 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last year I stayed at The Quality Hotel on 47th Street. Rooms were small but clean and best or all when you were 30m from Times Square and all the restaurants and shops.
  • DaisyD 19 Feb 2007 14:26:20 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's worth looking on HotelClub.com. Not long discovered it myself, but seems to be a lot better that expedia, opodo, last minute etc.
  • Pooley 19 Feb 2007 14:28:21 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Super 8
    59 West 46th Street
    New York City-Manhattan, NY 10036 US

I stayed here a couple of years back. Nice and cheap, considering it's location just off Times Square. There's a fantastic cafe just around the corner where we had breakfast every day, so don't bother with the Super 8 supplied breakfast as it's fairly poor.

Err... one problem though whilst we were staying there. We had a cockroach in our room. Reception seemed fairly unconcerned when I phoned to complain as well. So I used my game-honed reaction skills to introduce him to the bottom of the clothes iron.

Other than that, which admittedly for some might be a worse problem, it's not a bad place.
  • Pooley 19 Feb 2007 14:36:15 1,507 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The worst ones I've seen were in Hong Kong. About twice as big as any other one I've seen, and bright day-glo colours like yellow and red.

Pretty, but scary. You could almost imagine them laughing as the bombs fell...
  • octo 19 Feb 2007 14:39:31 979 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I stayed in the metro in November, at the corner of 35th street. One minute from the ESB and slap bang in the middle of fifth avenue. Nice rooms and a friendly service. Quite a few brits in the hotel though.
  • tiddles 19 Feb 2007 14:41:45 3,555 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I stayed at the Algonquin a few years ago, which was nice and historically interesting (connections to Dorothy Parker etc) although the plumbing was obviously original, since it packed up - cue entrance of Super Mario-lookalike plumber who fixed the shower head by taking one from another room...
  • PatrickEwing 19 Feb 2007 15:06:02 2,133 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gershwin hotel
    http://www.gershwinhotel.com/english/site1.html
    the rooms are a tad on the small side, but I thought it was cheap compared to most and located isngreat place half way between empire state building and the flatiron.
  • manuel_garcia 19 Feb 2007 15:09:34 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    I stayed here, cheap and cheerful and a 10 min walk from the ESB.

Link.

You share the bathroom with one other room, but you also have a sink in your own room.

Even the g/f who was sceptical about sharing the bathroom quite liked it, and we saved a bundle compared to other hotels.

No problems with this one at all Mapster? It seems like a bit of a bargain compared to some of the other places and looks nice enough.
  • manuel_garcia 19 Feb 2007 15:10:18 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    Gershwin hotel
    the rooms are a tad on the small side, but I thought it was cheap compared to most and located isngreat place half way between empire state building and the flatiron.

Is it actually decent then? I saw that one on Trip Advisor but almost all of the reviews were negative about it. Cheap though so tempting...
  • craigy Staff 19 Feb 2007 15:12:52 7,654 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When me and the other half went a while back we stayed at the Arlington Hotel on West 25th Street. It was cheap and cheerful (about $50/night for a double room from my recollection), had decent facilities / nice staff. Very close to Madison Square Park / Flatiron.
  • manuel_garcia 19 Feb 2007 15:58:30 4,079 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I absolutely love it as well. It felt safer wandering around NY at 3am than it does over here, its a strange old place. Fantastic food, excellent bars, and that general buzz that you dont get anywhere else.

Also I loved that fact that I recognised half of Manhattan from various movies over the years, every street seemed to drag up some reference point to something different.

Cant wait to go back :)
  • PatrickEwing 19 Feb 2007 16:18:45 2,133 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    manuel_garcia wrote:
    PatrickEwing wrote:
    Gershwin hotel

Is it actually decent then? I saw that one on Trip Advisor but almost all of the reviews were negative about it. Cheap though so tempting...

If you're not going to spend too much time in the hotel then it's a a very accessible place to have a kip, but it certainly isn't any Partridge style Travelodge! It was the cheapest I could find with a good location.

mind you, i've always been wary of recommending something such as this in case it isn't to all tastes.

• DrCongo 21 Feb 2007 08:18:26 912 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    manuel_garcia wrote:
    Yeah I absolutely love it as well. It felt safer wandering around NY at 3am than it does over here, its a strange old place. Fantastic food, excellent bars, and that general buzz that you dont get anywhere else.

Also I loved that fact that I recognised half of Manhattan from various movies over the years, every street seemed to drag up some reference point to something different.

Cant wait to go back :)
    That might as well have been written by me.

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO GO BACK DAMMIT

/weeps
  • eleven63 26 Jul 2007 21:36:05 1,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BUMP

Wife and I are in New York this September (care of the wife’s tax rebate!).

Any further thoughts on hotels in New York or the ones recommended in this thread?

Grateful as always for advice.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• mcmonkeyplc 24 Sep 2008 12:23:01 39,457 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BUMP

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mouse Moderator 24 Sep 2008 12:37:13 10,312 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As others said earlier in the thread, Radio City Apartments. We stayed there for five nights and I couldn't recommend it more for its balance of location, price and quality.
  • TheSaint 24 Sep 2008 12:39:02 14,388 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I recently stayed at the Hilton in Times Square (42nd I think). It was a great hotel and the location was superb.
  • Huntcjna 24 Sep 2008 12:40:56 13,876 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sofitel New York is absolutely stunning, they have the most amazingly comfortable beds in the world and can be quite well priced if your booking well in advance.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous