The Lord of the Rings Online Page 13

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Groggen 24 Mar 2009 11:52:09 110 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unless something goes wrong book 7 patch will go live on thursday.
  • iokthemonkey 24 Mar 2009 12:02:11 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cool beans. Cheers for the info Groggen.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Slabbathepave 24 Mar 2009 12:08:57 488 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Excellent. looking forward. Always nice to have a great game made greater.
  • iokthemonkey 24 Mar 2009 12:31:47 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I backtracked and did a load of quests in The Shire, many of which didn't involve combat and it was a nice break. I'm looking forward to seeing what the "Lore-centric" Lorien will be like.

• Groggen 24 Mar 2009 13:33:48 110 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes indeed... the Shire is a very nice place to quest "laid-back"-style.. and the innocence trait gained from the 75 Shire quests deed is a good one to get. I hope it will get even better with the overhaul in book 7 since some parts of the quest lines included too much running all over the place.

• DoctorZoidberg 24 Mar 2009 14:20:14 214 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got my Guardian upto level 15 now. I have to say it's a rather overwelming game. Confusion is high! But enjoying it. Combat seem's fun, and the story involving.
  • iokthemonkey 24 Mar 2009 14:24:07 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Groggen wrote:
    Yes indeed... the Shire is a very nice place to quest "laid-back"-style.. and the innocence trait gained from the 75 Shire quests deed is a good one to get.

That, along with one of the Moria ones ramped my Innocence up from 6 to 9, which was rather nice. :)

One thing people rarely mention though is how funny some of it is. I just love the way they captured the spirit of the Hobbits being tittle-tattles and the smallmindedness of some of them.

• Dizzy 24 Mar 2009 14:39:02 2,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you guys have "the pie" ? ;)
  • Tremendosaurus 11 Sep 2010 11:05:15 1,197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I see this is free to play now, question is: is it worth investing time into it? Also, as a lover of the books, am I going to get pissed off with it?
  • JoeBlade 11 Sep 2010 11:32:08 2,562 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, free to play eh? Might give it a go for a bit then.

How much of a timesink/grindfest is this thing though? And inhowfar does it shove forced grouping down your throat?
    'cause those two traits of the bad MMO mould are what tend to push me away from, well, bad MMOs (= every one I tried thusfar, sadly)
  • Prehensile_Plant 11 Sep 2010 12:10:26 417 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Europe isnt FTP yet. If you want to play on the European servers, its still same old.

Bit of a disaster really, as I think a lot of people will go play on the Turbine servers. The EU servers are nice, really!
  • JoeBlade 11 Sep 2010 12:40:48 2,562 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prehensile_Plant wrote:
    Europe isnt FTP yet. If you want to play on the European servers, its still same old.

Bit of a disaster really, as I think a lot of people will go play on the Turbine servers. The EU servers are nice, really!
    Does that mean Europeans are denied access to free-to-play servers altogether or only that the option isn't available on European servers yet?

Because I frankly prefer American servers anyway, if only because they're not full of twats who stubbornly refuse to speak English (and no, English isn't my native or primary language either) So if it's the latter I really don't give a toss.

Edit: toned down a bit on the wall-of-textness...
  • iokthemonkey 11 Sep 2010 15:21:09 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As a fan you'll either love or hate what Turbine have done. Personally I love how they've fleshed-out a lot of stuff (in a very respectful way.) So for example, you meet Fatty Bolger after Frodo has left the Shire you get to meet Tom Bombadil and Old Man Willow and help muster the Rangers. You'll also see a lot of little details like Bill Ferny, wander around the Shire (and see the statue of Bullroarer Took), drink ales in The Prancing Pony and more.

As for grinding, if you want to play totally for free, you'll have to sink a lot of time into grinding Virtues (basically, achievements.) By completing Virtues, you earn Turbine Points, which can be used to unlock quests in other zones. So you might have to kill X creatures or explore Y locations.

• munki83 11 Sep 2010 16:19:55 1,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going to start playing this in the next day or so looking forward to it as I enjoyed the trials when I played them but never got round to playing it properly
  • Zamn10210 11 Sep 2010 20:40:05 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone have any idea when this is going to be FTP in Europe? Or is it at all?
  • Tremendosaurus 11 Sep 2010 21:40:30 1,197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ech. Well I'm interested in something that allows me to explore an actual (virtual) Middle Earth, and I'm interested in fighting orcs, trolls, etc. But I'm really not interested in MMOs, and the whole concept of "grinding" makes me want to weep for gamers all over the world :/
  • DFawkes 11 Sep 2010 21:44:18 23,061 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zamn10210 wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea when this is going to be FTP in Europe? Or is it at all?

There was a delay, and they don't want to announce a fixed date yet. I'd just join the US server but I have an existing LOTRO character I stopped paying to use that I'll be able to use again.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Zamn10210 11 Sep 2010 22:03:33 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I actually have an LOTRO account I won in a Eurogamer giveaway but I never played it because downloading the client was practically impossible before they got a downloader app. You had to download a 9GB zip file from a dodgy external mirror, didn't exactly endear me to the game.

Anyway, I understand that entitles me to 'premium' status when the game does go free in Europe so I'll hold out.
  • iokthemonkey 12 Sep 2010 05:35:34 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    Ech. Well I'm interested in something that allows me to explore an actual (virtual) Middle Earth, and I'm interested in fighting orcs, trolls, etc. But I'm really not interested in MMOs, and the whole concept of "grinding" makes me want to weep for gamers all over the world :/

That's only for non-paying people though. Give it a try, if you like it, then buy some TPs and you can play without the grind. Hell, it's worth playing if only for the Shire. You get to deliver PIES!

• Tremendosaurus 12 Sep 2010 10:12:15 1,197 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    You get to deliver PIES!

Sold! :)
  • iokthemonkey 12 Sep 2010 13:50:12 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    iokthemonkey wrote:
    You get to deliver PIES!

Sold! :)

The devs have gone out of their way to make The Shire very Hobbity - a lot of quests involve stuff like playing hide and seek, delivering pies (and avoiding hungry Hobbits), delivering the mail, drinking ales and so on. It's a lot of fun.

• DFawkes 12 Sep 2010 14:10:59 23,061 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Satine on the LOTRO forum:

Hi folks,

Following our announcement on Wednesday regarding the delay of Free-to-Play in Europe, we can now provide you with a further update as to its status. Itís not good news Iím afraid. We are currently anticipating a delay of more than a week, potentially launching around the end of the month, and are still not in a position where we are able to confirm an exact date.

So soon, but not super soon.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• iokthemonkey 12 Sep 2010 23:23:40 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they're offering a welcome-back week and a load of seasonal/festival stuff in the meantime...

• DFawkes 12 Sep 2010 23:49:44 23,061 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that just now? I'd love to play LOTRO, but I'm not subbing when it'll be free soon enough.

EDIT: Actually should just have tried logging in. Excellent stuff, cheers for the heads up :)

• Benno 13 Sep 2010 00:24:19 9,935 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cool, gonna get back into this while i wait for cata
  • iokthemonkey 13 Sep 2010 03:08:28 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No worries Fawksie - hopefully they'll get the dates coordinated so there's no interruption.

• SClaw 30 Sep 2010 14:10:46 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So... what's up with LOTRO EU then? Given the crazy ass delay in launching free to play I'm surprised this hasn't been a news topic.

Official forums say nothing but rumour mill suggest it's a legal disagreement between Codies and Turbine. I am almost hoping the delay is because Turbine are taking LOTRO back like they did with DDO. Codies are a shitty company.

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed by this. I'm a lifer so it matters very little to me technically but I had worked pretty hard to drum up interest in ex-players to get them to come back. They are either drifting off now or drifting to the US servers, which rather irritates me. Annoying.

In summery... Codemasters are so the new GOA.
  • iokthemonkey 30 Sep 2010 16:46:59 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I'm pretty pissed-off about waiting on the new content. F2P doesn't bother me, as I'm a lifer. I just want my new zones and content.

• Page

of 15 First / Last