The Lord of the Rings Online Page 2

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 11:12:42 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That CVG article pretty much sums up my feelings. It's a fun game with plenty of quests, excellent traits/achievements system to individualise your character and crafting isn't a pain either.

The instanced story missions are fun and offer some really nice actual story. There are the "kill x for y" missions but the drops are extremely frequent that you need like 95% and as I'm a forester most of the stuff you get asked to kill provides you with leather you want anyway!

Plus if you're feeling particularly musical all characters get the ability to play one or more instruments that you can play in real time using keys 1-8 with control and shift so you may make some coin from busking...

Oh and it looks bloody lovely too, especially with the high res textures installed.

Monster play is fun; killing hobbit farmers as an Urak-Hai and taking their legs as souvenirs is a bit different.

My main is Jonty a man captain on Snowbourne, although I do cross dress occasionally as a very saucy female elf called Belleth a minstrel. I only "tried" her out to see what the elf intro instance was like (it's quite good and a bit more epic than the man and hobbit ones I've already tried), nice troll action for starters.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 11:14:05 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Should work fine.

Oh another thing the game has built in optional voice coms too, I've not tried it but it at least it's there rather than having to use a Vent/TS server.

The EG group is here

Edited by Whizzo at 11:17:02 20-04-2007

• Gl3n Moderator 20 Apr 2007 11:28:13 5,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    so should i buy this? is it different enough and strong enough to warrant a blind purchase?

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• StarchildHypocrethes 20 Apr 2007 11:30:12 25,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deserters! Traitors! Charlatans! BLAGGARDS!!!
  • [maven] 20 Apr 2007 11:49:45 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Deserters! Traitors! Charlatans! BLAGGARDS!!!

I'll stick to the MMORPGs with Mac clients, so I'll play WoW with you... :)
  • Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 11:50:36 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:I on the other hand DO like the books and maybe that's why I don't like it.
    You didn't like the movies either so I think you probably fall into the "never going to please" camp.

edit: You've still not left Archet have you?

Edited by Whizzo at 11:51:24 20-04-2007

• captbirdseye 20 Apr 2007 11:58:07 4,868 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe, hope theres a hidden gay Hobbit quest.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Apr 2007 14:56:14 25,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just think this looks a bit meh to be honest. WoW will do me until Warhammer finally decides to get released.
  • silentbob 20 Apr 2007 15:07:06 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    No, most MMOs pre-Wow made it extremely difficult to even level up without a group, WoW makes it possible to get to the level cap without even grouping once. Dungeons are purely optional, only there for decent loot. Try playing FFXI online solo and see how far you get :)
    Yup. WoW was brilliant in that aspect.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• StarchildHypocrethes 20 Apr 2007 15:15:04 25,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unfortunately you're probably not going to find a much better solo experience in a MMO game. You need an MO game but then a Massively Online game just sounds a bit weird...
  • Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 15:15:40 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Soloed my beta captain all the way to chapter 3 and then realised I couldn't do that quest so left it until the final game came out.

There's some quests you haven't got a prayer in doing solo unless you're a lot higher level than what the quest is designed for, the Laila one in the Barrows I managed to solo in beta due to luck as the start monster attacked me first as someone trained it onto me by accident so I got some assistance from people in the vicinity.

The intro instances that I've played which are soloed; man, hobbit and elf are cake walks.

There are so many quests though that having too many to do, whether solo or not is more of an issue. Plus the more quests you do in a region = useful trait given to you.

Edited by Whizzo at 15:17:09 20-04-2007

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 15:19:57 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The topic of "best soloing class" came up in OOC last night, I don't think anyone could agree (loremaster was a common answer) but I've played four classes (captain, burglar, ranger and briefly minstrel) and they've all worked ok.

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 15:22:32 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mapster wrote:Whizzo, I've been reading on the forums that some folk are having trouble keeping up with repair costs, have you found this?
    Repair costs aren't an issue unless you're shit. Damage is mostly inflicted if you're taking far too much punishment which means you're dying lots and not running away.

Unless it's red it works anyway so you don't need to get it repaired and it's cheap to do.

Repair costs are going to be zeroed for the first 10 levels in the next patch too.

I'm still pissed off my lack of death ran out a smidge before level 12, Jonty is "Undefeated" but I won't get the level 14 non-death title now...

• Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 15:31:03 43,091 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Snowbourne, it's easy to spot as it's the top one in the list!

Do a "/friend add Jonty" and you should see me about.

• Pike 20 Apr 2007 15:35:10 13,446 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't say I see anything in LotRO that makes me wish to jump over from WoW. Art design wise it just looks like any other generic fantasy world and it seems hampered by the license.

If my enire guild where to move over en masse I'd probably tag along, but bar that I'll stick to WoW until Tabula Rasa arrives.

Edited by Pike at 15:48:12 20-04-2007
  • Gl3n Moderator 20 Apr 2007 15:41:28 5,387 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    did the pre-order pack come with the client mappy?

+1 for tabula rasa enthusiasm

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Page

of 15 First / Last