The Lord of the Rings Online

• Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous
  • Laserbream 14 Feb 2007 08:18:19 476 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The NDA has recently been lifted - has anyone been hobbiting away in the beta? Care to tell us what you think so far?
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 12:25:49 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So far so good. Given the limitations that staying close to the texts must place on the game Turbine have actually done a nice job. Even on mid level rigs this thing plays incredibly well, it is certainly at this stage (2 months from launch) very smooth and polished, great attention to detail. Take the best bits form WoW and GW, add a dash of Tolkein and a surprisingly laid back and mature player base and it has the making of a very nice game.

On the downside, if you are a serious, avoid daylight, kind of player then this may not be for you. But if you want a more casual mmorpg (think a couple of hours every other night rather than 20 hours a day power leveling) then this may well be right up your proverbial ally. As time goes by and it gets closer to launch i am sure the hype will push this to some impressive numbers, the kind Vanguard will only dream of, but a lot will depend upon Turbine's ability to add new content. Should they manage this then i think they could rightly point to this as a good use of IP and good execution of product development...unexpectedly good.

I think i said somewhere else here...the wife clocked it and remarked 'ohh is that WoW2?' which is high praise indeed if you see what i mean.
  • JediMasterMalik 14 Feb 2007 13:04:29 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's like WoW really, only not quite as good, and not quite as varied, and uglier. I would not buy it.
  • Laserbream 14 Feb 2007 13:34:59 476 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers Gooner. It's out at the end of April I think, which should be around the time I get both my main characters up to 70 and realise for the umpteenth time that I hate WoW's endgame raiding. The focus on casual play is sounding pretty cool!

One question though - from what I've read your character actually moves forward in the story's timeline when you progress to the next world-zone. Do you end up locked out of the previous 'times' or can you revisit them at any point?
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 13:43:37 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    From what i have seen i would say you are pretty much locked out from the quest side of that part of the story line, although you can physically re enter them. No point in a level 50 trying to pick up level 5 quests, and certain quests only open themselves up to an appropriate race and class for each area in order ot keep the story moving in the right direction.

Like you i have had more than enough of that waking up in the middle of the night knowing you have just wasted months leveling in Wow and that it is now just same old same old. This one suits the amount of time i can put into it much better.

Malik, yes it is like WoW, as most MMORPG's are, it ain't rocket science, but in terms of not quite as good, define your terms. You are looking at a beta 2 months from release and comparing it to an 800 lb gorilla that has 8 million victims and years of hard work behind it..........and LOTR still looks a hell of a lot better, just as Guild Wars does, and even that slide show that is Vanguard looks better in purely technical terms (until you try and move :-). They look different to WOW as the beast has a very stylised appearance that you are perhaps more familiar with. I Know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but to describe LOTR as uglier than WoW is perhaps a little overly subjective.
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 13:45:59 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    So, what percentage of the population are called Legorlaz and variants of?

So far.............very few actually. As you create the character there is a guide that pops up suggesting correct pre and suffix's for you come from appropriate to the text, so a player from Rohan is encouraged to take the right sounding name, and so on. You aren't obliged to, but a lot of people seem to. No Gimli's either so far.

Edited by [DVDF]Gooner at 13:50:02 14-02-2007
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 13:48:38 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted at 13:49:00 14-02-2007
  • Laserbream 14 Feb 2007 13:52:57 476 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe, the Legolazz and Gimmli thing will change upon release, /sigh.

I'll make a guild called "No Legolases" or something.
  • Pike 14 Feb 2007 13:55:57 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Laserbream wrote:
    Hehe, the Legolazz and Gimmli thing will change upon release, /sigh.

I thought that target demographic was busy making blood elf hunters.
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 13:57:04 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I spent 18 months on Wow, and 8 months clean turkey. I like WoW as a conecpt but the end game execution depressed the hell out of me, and some of the player base was a pain in the arse. So far this is different enough without being totally alien to lure me back.

If nothing else it will get you out of Blizzards trance until later in the year when there are some real gorillas on the horizon in Age of Conan, Warhammer on line and Gods of Rome (check out the new screenies).
  • Laserbream 14 Feb 2007 13:57:09 476 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Oh, can I join! I'm gonna call myself Grandalf

Sod it, why not just go with the flow? Count me in, I'll be calling myself Aragorm.
  • Laserbream 14 Feb 2007 14:06:16 476 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the perspective Whitey. Exploring and soloing quests are probably what I enjoy the most about WoW 1-70, as well as some of the better realised bits of the story. So your poison could be my bread, as it were.

Edit - and Bombadil clearly took it up the back door.

Edited by Laserbream at 14:07:45 14-02-2007
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 14:06:28 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good call Whitey, it is not going to reinvent the wheel or make us think of the genre any differently, it is just a nicely polished alternative for those that either have grown tired of WoW or are looking for a more laid back spin on the ideas. From my point of view i always enjoyed questing over instances, and this suits me. I don't think it will pull people away from active raiding guilds in WoW, but to be honest i don't think anything can break that level of addiction. It will be interesting to see what changes are made to the game between now and the first update which i would guess would be 3 months or so after realease.
  • [DVDF]Gooner 14 Feb 2007 14:19:31 70 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bombadil, the biggest stoner hippy in English literature. Never made it into any of the films and never will. Just too fucked up to make sense even in a fantasy setting.

If you ever get a chance try and get hold of a book called Bored of the Rings (American thing made in the 70's by the Harvard Lampoon crew), totally hilarious, but such a sweet send up of Bombadil.

Will try and dig up a link if anybody is interested.
  • Orange 15 Feb 2007 10:10:44 4,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My friend tried the beta and didn't like it, although I like questing I want quests with a lot more variety to them rather than grind quests and then grinding for gear.

Is there any pvp in this?

Good luck with it though, the more competition for WoW the better.
  • [maven] 20 Apr 2007 10:06:56 5,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it any good then?
  • Whizzo 20 Apr 2007 10:09:30 43,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes.

Oh you wanted something longer? Yes it is. I don't even like the LOTR books and I'm really enjoying it.

This space left intentionally blank.

• [maven] 20 Apr 2007 10:32:28 5,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shall we give it a go, Fluffy?

/is somehow tempted, although he should be playing Warcraft
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Apr 2007 10:34:58 13,190 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I cancelled my World of Warcraft account this week after 26 months. Got a couple of toons to 70, saw most of the content that interested me, sent my gold to the missus and made a clean break.

This is tempting me - especially the lifetime membership thing - but it would need to be sufficiently different to WoW to warrant consideration. I think I'll wait for the first batch of reviews and impressions once people have been playing the final release for a bit.
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Apr 2007 10:39:47 13,190 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    I have no idea whether it's out now, in beta or anything so I better do a bit of research

It's out next week at retail, although people that pre-ordered were able to start playing a few days ago as a bonus incentive.
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Apr 2007 10:43:02 13,190 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mapster wrote:
    The thing that pisses me off most about WoW is the complete lack of distinction between solo quests and group quests. Generally, colour code means nothing, and you won't know if you need to group a quest till you start it. The group tag often means nothing either.

The amount of time I waste in WoW because of laziness by the devs is what pisses me off the most.

While it was too late to do it for the "old world" all of the expansion content (i.e. Level 60+) does have a 'Suggested Players' tag for each quest.

Not sure I'd put its original omission down to laziness, either. Just one of those things that only becomes apparent as an issue when there are millions of people playing it rather than a relatively modest group of testers. :)
  • [maven] 20 Apr 2007 10:44:33 5,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Meh, I just realised that there's no Mac client... That's me out. :(
  • Phattso Moderator 20 Apr 2007 10:44:48 13,190 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    My main gripes with WoW are boring, cut and paste quests, and just exhaustion from playing the same game for the last 24 months. Plus it would be quite exciting to all start a new game at the same time

Again, that was really addressed in the expansion with a lot of very imaginative quests thrown in there. Totally agree on the fatigue, though - I'd been in the game since the European release, although my play time had significantly nosedived last year only to be briefly reawakened to finish the expansion.

Starting a new game as a group would be pretty cool - all the excitement of discovery and all that.
  • lucasmax 20 Apr 2007 10:55:13 363 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?search=yes&keyword=&id=161846
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Previous