The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 3

• Page

of 157 First / Last

• heyyo 8 Aug 2007 00:29:50 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    the lyrics arent too bad tbh, makes a change that theres someone out of landan taan not yappin about guns & TTs

Heard of Plan B?

Doesn't chat about 'wasteman' london things either.

• heyyo 8 Aug 2007 00:39:21 14,369 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched a interview of him on his myspace and he couldn't even string a sentence together lol, he looked well out of it though!
  • Snuffb0t 8 Aug 2007 01:02:19 506 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just found "Arsonists - As the World Burns" in an old jacket. Great album, lots of fun tracks on it and doesn't take itself at all seriously. Shame their second album was awful after a couple of them left :(

Edit : I cannae type
  • Snuffb0t 8 Aug 2007 01:39:20 506 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and Pandora just spat Mario Kart( Relivin' it) by intellekt and dirty digits at me. I'd never heard of them before but kinda liked the track in a nerdy way :D
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2007 10:29:49 25,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm been listening to Dizzee Rascal (specifically the Boy in Da Corner album that Razz recommended). I'm actually quite liking it, which is a nice surprise. Seems like it'll be a grower but I may have found a hip hop (or is this called 'grime' or something?) album I like.

However, what the hell is he singing about on half the songs? Haha the slang is quite thick a lot of the time but some of the songs do seem to be a bit stereotypical gangs and guns. Or is this just me not understanding it?
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 10:37:38 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw him live a little while ago. He's a buff little bastard! Think he's been hitting the 'roids. Pussyhole is still my favourite tune of the year

I haven't bought much music recently, just trying to be more frugal with my luxury purchases. Jazzy Jeff's album The Return of the Magnificent is fucking great though, I can recommend that
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 10:44:45 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey grayson, you never said if you liked that No Fakin' DJs mix I recommended
  • famous_roy 8 Aug 2007 10:46:42 4,102 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No ones mentioned the freakin amazing DJ Format. Music for the mature b-boy ftuw!

'Vicious battle raps' is blummin genius.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Kay 8 Aug 2007 10:48:00 17,969 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dizzee Rascal's new album is okay, there's still a lot of guns 'n gangsta type stuff in there but it's really not to be taken seriously. My favourite track is the one with UGK, cheesy as hell but strangely good.

I'm really loving Common's new album at the moment, much better than his last one. I've found almost all of the tracks on it to be great, which is quite unusual for me.

K
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 10:53:37 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Format is great, although I get a bit bored of Abdominal's style after a while (it's great but lacks punch, or grit, or something). The lyrics in Ugly Brothers are brilliant
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2007 10:54:23 25,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is the thing... most people said to me (not just on here, obviously) not his lyrics are good and that he doesn't sing about the typical rap cliches, but I don't hear it. He seems to be singing about them to me! Still, his voice and music are both top notch so I'm still liking it, it's just the words are putting me off a tad. Am I listening to it wrong? You say not to take it seriously, is it done in a jokey way or something that I'm just not hearing?

EDIT: About Dizzee Rascal, obviously.
  • absolutezero 8 Aug 2007 10:56:20 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im always on the look out for certain sounding hip-hop as most of it just simply is'nt what Im interested in.

Namely Dalek and Techno Animal.

Is there anything more besides those two?
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 10:58:01 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    This is the thing... most people said to me (not just on here, obviously) not his lyrics are good and that he doesn't sing about the typical rap cliches, but I don't hear it. He seems to be singing about them to me! Still, his voice and music are both top notch so I'm still liking it, it's just the words are putting me off a tad. Am I listening to it wrong? You say not to take it seriously, is it done in a jokey way or something that I'm just not hearing?

He raps about guns and bling all the time, I dunno what the person who told you otherwise was talking about :/
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2007 10:59:18 25,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

He raps about guns and bling all the time, I dunno what the person who told you otherwise was talking about :/

There you go then, people just like to talk out of their arse it seems haha. Oh well, I'll just leave the particular tracks I'm into on my itunes and be glad for those.
  • figgis 8 Aug 2007 11:00:32 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    Im always on the look out for certain sounding hip-hop as most of it just simply is'nt what Im interested in.

Heard anything by 'Spank Rock'?
  • absolutezero 8 Aug 2007 11:03:17 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    absolutezero wrote:

Heard anything by 'Spank Rock'?

Indeed I have not. Ill go have a looksee.
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 11:16:22 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Try Automato too
  • smoothpete 8 Aug 2007 13:06:22 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D

Well he does rap about robbing and stuff
  • Neu-Razz 8 Aug 2007 13:20:35 565 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dizzee talks more about life from his perspective onhis first album. When he talks about guns and bling it's usually contextual rather than the American "Look at me and my bling! Weeeee! I'm rich bitch!". I've always respected Dizz for that.
  • absolutezero 9 Aug 2007 12:37:30 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Automato very yes

Spank Rock very no

Thanks guys.
  • figgis 9 Aug 2007 12:41:10 7,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What about 'Canibal Ox' they might be more up your street?
  • smoothpete 9 Aug 2007 13:03:41 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    Automato very yes
    Cool, glad you like it. One of the best choruses (spelling?) in the whole of music

"All I ever wanted was truth, peace, harmony,
    And anti-gravitational boots"
  • Deleted user 9 August 2007 13:50:47
    How this thread get so far with no mention of DJ Shadow?

Unless I'm blind.

edit - forgot, want to "shout out" for Example and Ty, too.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2007 13:53:10
    squarejawhero wrote:

Unless I'm blind.
    Because his last album was one of the biggest "fuck you"s an artist has given to his fans in a long time*

*hyperbole
  • smoothpete 9 Aug 2007 13:54:11 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DJ Shadow fell off after Endroducing, IMO. His latest album, name escapes me, I listened to it and thought hmm, a bit pap, maybe it's a grower, but it hasn't grown on me one bit I'm afraid.

Sorry!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2007 13:55:13
    Endtroducing, Psyence Fiction and even Pre-emptive Strike are all great though.

And also The Private Re-Press (the Japanese one), which has a collaboration with Roots Manuva on it. It's great... I think it was originally on the B-Side for Mashin' On The Motorway.
  • smoothpete 9 Aug 2007 13:58:10 31,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dunno, I just find him massively over-rated, as a hiphop producer anyway. I'm not even sure I'd call it hiphop. There are a ton of much more interesting and talented producers out there. Again, this is all in my opinion
  • Deleted user 9 August 2007 13:58:39
    smoothpete wrote:
    DJ Shadow fell off after Endroducing, IMO. His latest album, name escapes me, I listened to it and thought hmm, a bit pap, maybe it's a grower, but it hasn't grown on me one bit I'm afraid.

Sorry!
    Yeah it sucks. If you read the interviews with him about it, it seems he's got a serious problem with people who want him to continue in the vein of Endtroducing, which to be honest is a little ridiculous, since it's such a diverse style with so much potential. I can't see how attempting to produce another ethereal album would result in it being a re-hash.

The Private Press and all the associated releases are pretty good though.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2007 13:58:43
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:

Unless I'm blind.
    Because his last album was one of the biggest "fuck you"s an artist has given to his fans in a long time*

*hyperbole

I think it's pretty fucking good, as a fan! SO THERE!

/storms off

/slams door

/peeks in

Can I come back in?
  • Page

of 157 First / Last