The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 135

• Page

of 155 First / Last

• BillMurray 15 Jun 2013 00:45:04 7,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Click

This is 3/4 of a playlist my sisters boyfriend sorted out for me(Spotify didn't have half of the tracks he recommended me). This was what he came up with me when I asked for some hip-hop recommendations. Lot's of old school stuff which is what I like. I hope she marries him. He has a better taste in music than any of my friends.
  • Kay 15 Jun 2013 00:50:32 17,871 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    So the new R.A. The Rugged Man album is pretty awesome.

Definitely his best album so if you like him you'll love this.

His flow can really be insane at times.

Really fucking good album. Reminds me of golden era Rawkus stuff.
    This is excellent. That track about his dad, when he seems to almost start crying at the end, I may have something in my eye at that moment which has never ever happened in a rap track before.
    Good stuff, been meaning to check him out ever since I was blown away by his verse on this JMT track a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmIH8Sua0Yw

Never realised he did a track with Biggie! Time to listen to his stuff properly.
  • Kay 15 Jun 2013 00:54:45 17,871 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, new Kanye has leaked ahead of its release next week. Very techno-inspired with Daft Punk production apparently. No huge fan of the man, but you can't deny his music's always interesting.
  • gman7714 15 Jun 2013 01:00:52 292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BillMurray

lol was just listening to blahzay the other day. This track is awesome
  • gman7714 15 Jun 2013 01:08:54 292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this track at the moment
  • ricky_uk 15 Jun 2013 16:17:27 212 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As much of a douche kanye west is....he's new album is brilliant... 3 daft punk productions says it all... Yes I know he's a douche but still
  • Kovacs77 18 Jun 2013 19:14:16 364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ricky_uk wrote:
    As much of a douche kanye west is....he's new album is brilliant... 3 daft punk productions says it all... Yes I know he's a douche but still
    Agreed, it's brilliant.
  • ISmoke 18 Jun 2013 19:35:02 546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @gman7714 I saw TY a few weeks back supporting Big Daddy Kane. Was very impressed with him. I only ever knew the 'Ha-Ha' song by him but he's pretty good.

@Ricky & Kovacs
    Yeah i'm liking it too. It's not quite as good as My Twisted Dark Fantasy but that album was gold. Sounds a lot different from Ye of old! It'll take me a few listens to truly appreciate it but so far so good. It always happens. First time I listened to MTDF i thought it was average at best now it's one of my favourite albums
  • Kovacs77 18 Jun 2013 19:41:00 364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ISmoke Yeah I'm a huge fan of MBDTF as well, listened to it again a few days ago after a year off, after listening to it to death when it was released, and it still stands as one of the best hiphop albums I've ever heard. This is very close though... the production is incredible on EVERY song.
  • Blaketown 19 Jun 2013 12:36:33 4,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So the fact he can't rap doesn't bother anybody?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• craigy Staff 19 Jun 2013 12:42:04 7,638 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does the fact that Nas can't produce a record bother anybody?

You gotta, begrudgingly, look at Kanye as an auteur. He's not the best at any one aspect of making a record (and he raps atrociously at times), but he's the best guy out there when it comes to having a hand in every aspect of assembling his creative vision.
  • Blaketown 19 Jun 2013 12:59:57 4,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If Nas produced his own albums it would be a problem yes.

For instance both Jehst and Aesop Rock have been worse off for producing their own records.

For what it's worth the new Quasimoto is the same. Rubbish rapping dragging down what is a half decent record.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 19 Jun 2013 18:09:30 87,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    ...but he's the best guy out there when it comes to having a hand in every aspect of assembling his creative vision.
    He's certainly the best at making people believe that's the case anyway.

Give me Edan, Doom, Q-Tip or RZA anyday.
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 09:22:14 31,502 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quite a nice little mixtape

http://mashville.bandcamp.com/album/your-moms-favorite-mixtape-volume-one
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 09:25:22 31,502 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Oh I dunno, I really like some of his lyrics and flow. Not many but there are some which are great. Earlier stuff.
  • Kovacs77 20 Jun 2013 18:45:34 364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Oh I dunno, I really like some of his lyrics and flow. Not many but there are some which are great. Earlier stuff.
    RZA is a terrible rapper (imo, and with a few exceptions), I still think he's a brilliant hiphop artist though!
  • smoothpete 20 Jun 2013 19:29:25 31,502 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh sorry I was talking about kanye! RZA is rubbish. Best behind the MPC.
  • Kovacs77 20 Jun 2013 19:38:27 364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @smoothpete I was talking about Kanye and RZA, should probably have quoted Blaketown directly rather than quoting you quoting him!!!

So yeah, Kanye bad rapper, RZA bad rapper, and I like them both as hiphop artists!!

Edited by Kovacs77 at 19:38:53 20-06-2013
  • kalel 21 Jun 2013 14:59:51 87,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We were talking about people seeing out their "creative vision", and in that slightly lofty sense, I'd say RZA is way ahead of Kanye.

RZA is an absolute visionary. He may have slightly lost it in recent years, but what he set out to achieve (and did) in the 90s is astonishing.
  • smoothpete 21 Jun 2013 16:48:40 31,502 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I agree with you about RZA being a visionary. I see him as a genuine musician, which I think Kanye could have been, but he seemed to respond to his fame very badly. RZA would make something for the sake of making it, but Kanye would make it with the bank in mind.
  • Kovacs77 27 Jun 2013 19:32:18 364 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New El-P and Killer Mike album is out, free download, it's brilliant.

One of many sites linking to it
  • President_Weasel 27 Jun 2013 19:55:16 9,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Every now and again I like to post Hot Cheetos and Takis
  • BillMurray 2 Jul 2013 23:44:25 7,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

I love watching this. Great to hear Mos Def break down MF Doom lyrics and sing along.

Edited by BillMurray at 23:59:10 02-07-2013
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Jul 2013 00:40:09 9,812 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RZA is a rap god.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 19:05:24 1,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Really like Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap at the minute. Took a while to get accustomed to his voice but once you're in there's some great stuff on here.

Got Run the Jewels too. Absolutely loved El-P's Cancer 4 Cure and Killer Mike's R.A.P Music so I was hyped up big time for this. Disappointing so far, the beats seem to industrial and pared back without any quirkiness or development. Will definitely give it a few more spins, though.

Been a pretty slow year for hip hop, especially compared to last years bounty.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2013 19:47:10
    smoothpete wrote:
    Yeah I agree with you about RZA being a visionary. I see him as a genuine musician, which I think Kanye could have been, but he seemed to respond to his fame very badly. RZA would make something for the sake of making it, but Kanye would make it with the bank in mind.
    I've got to say isn't that statement about Kanye backward?
    The fame has affected him yes but it has actually driven him to create far better music and to lyrically be more interesting and different to everyone else. Mbdtf and yeezus were not created with the bank in mind they were created by an artist trying to be the best in the business.

Listen to his first two albums then his latest two, the newer albums are far less bank friendly. Mbdtf only shifted around two million (very low for him) but it is the highest rated album ever on metacritic (with more the twenty five reviews). The only press before release was the album length music/movie and he created it locked away in a house in Hawaii.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Jul 2013 20:07:14 1,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But Yeezus is average at best :confused:
  • Ashwood 3 Jul 2013 20:12:32 407 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Really like Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap at the minute. Took a while to get accustomed to his voice but once you're in there's some great stuff on here.

Got Run the Jewels too. Absolutely loved El-P's Cancer 4 Cure and Killer Mike's R.A.P Music so I was hyped up big time for this. Disappointing so far, the beats seem to industrial and pared back without any quirkiness or development. Will definitely give it a few more spins, though.

Been a pretty slow year for hip hop, especially compared to last years bounty.
    Yeah - Chance The Rapper's stuff is great. You should check out his first mixtape too '10 Days' I think it's called.

Loved Cancer 4 Cure, but haven't listened to Run The Jewels yet.
  • gman7714 4 Jul 2013 00:31:48 292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A nice track at the end of the movie Pawn starring Common & Micheal Chiklis.

Doesn't appear to be available to purchase anywhere

Edited by gman7714 at 00:33:45 04-07-2013
  • Rhaegyr 4 Jul 2013 11:55:55 1,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I take back what I said about Run the Jewels.

Really starting to grow on me now and it's a great lyrical attack by both MC's at the top of their game. El-P has the golden touch at the moment!
  • Page

of 155 First / Last