The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 132

• Page

of 157 First / Last

• Wacko_AK 26 Mar 2013 15:16:52 207 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You will love it.

One of the best live bands around & anything but mainstream.
    That's what I was hoping to hear!
  • imamazed 26 Mar 2013 15:22:55 5,964 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    PE mainstream?

Know your history son.
    Was basically just going to say this. Without wanting to re-start any "what is mainstream" debates again, if you consider PE mainstream at all, it's the good sort. Their whole ethos is anti-mainstream. Where are they playing btw?
  • ISmoke 26 Mar 2013 15:24:03 683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was lucky enough to see PE back in October with a live band. Was amazing!
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 15:25:02
    I've seen them a couple of times. They've got stupid amounts of charisma and Flav is still an amazing showman considering he has literally done all the crack.
  • Blaketown 26 Mar 2013 15:28:21 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember in their hey day Flav was pulled over on his motorbike because the crack he was carrying caused a "suspicious bulge" under his leathers.

How much crack do you have to be carrying for it to be visible from a moving motorbike?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• imamazed 26 Mar 2013 15:29:30 5,964 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    YEEEEEEEEAH BOOOOOOEYY
  • Wacko_AK 26 Mar 2013 15:31:10 207 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Their whole ethos is anti-mainstream. Where are they playing btw?
    I knew I'd be opening a can of worms, to be honest I don't give a f*** about history etc I only care about about the sound. I know their ethos is anti-mainstream but the sound sometimes appears generic (to my ears).

They are playing Glasgow in the middle of next month, not sure if it's a one off or a nationwide tour.

I'm not dissin' PE!

For the record Jay-Z, Eminem etc I consider to be pop.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 15:37:30
    PE got close to pop in the late 90s, but their first few albums have a very distinctive and interesting sound to them.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Mar 2013 15:46:53 17,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    PE got close to pop in the late 90s, but their first few albums have a very distinctive and interesting sound to them.
    I seem to recall hearing that their samples were triggered by their producer and so they're not perfectly in time and all the samples are cut off and broken. The music's all the better for it.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 1 April 2013 11:39:25
    New Aspects album - Left Hand Path - is out!!!
  • Deleted user 2 April 2013 14:49:43
    kalel wrote:
    New Aspects album - Left Hand Path - is out!!!
    Little bump in case this got missed...

It's very good. Very much a return to the style of Correct English (especially now Bubba Louie is back) and almost like the disappointing Mystery theatre never happened.

It's a fiver on bandcamp as well, as opposed to 8 on itunes or who knows what on CD, and that also means you can get the lossless version.
  • smoothpete 2 Apr 2013 14:54:05 31,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not my cup of tea tbh. Glad it's a return to form though.

Listening to the legendary Lord Finesse. Just so fucking good.
  • smoothpete 2 Apr 2013 15:04:27 31,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "I drop science like a kid from catholic school"
  • Blaketown 3 Apr 2013 13:39:55 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can I just pimp my mate's little charity thing?

http://newroad.bandcamp.com/

It's not strictly hip hop but sort of instrumental jazzy beats and things so cut from the same cloth. All the money goes to MacMillan cancer so even if you don't like it it's going to help someone.

Give it a listen and maybe chuck a few sheckles their way and enrich your life twice for the price of one.

Edited by Blaketown at 13:40:48 03-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• localnotail 4 Apr 2013 11:02:44 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mike D, solid gold good guy.

Saw Public Enemy on their last tour of the UK. Small venue, massive show, blew me away.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Blaketown 4 Apr 2013 12:36:22 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AZ's new track on some proper Old Skool shit.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• TheBlackDog 5 Apr 2013 09:48:37 426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nice thread - I've read about a third of it, mostly from the beginning but some of the last few pages too. I need some direction on what to search out next.

Thanks to all the mentions of MF Doom, especially the advice to start with MM Food. I had listened to Madvillainy years ago and didn't get it, at all. MM Food is awesome from the first listen and I suspect Madvillainy is one of those albums that can take a while before it hits you hard with how good it is. Listening to it again, and I'm liking it more and more. I'm in the process of getting all the other Doom and his alter-egos stuff but what else ?

Since stumbling across this thread I've got stuff by 2Pac, Dr Dre, Wu Tang, GZA Liquid Swords, etc. While I love listening to these artists for a couple of plays, I'm not sure I can put up with the gangsta stuff for too long. For me, its hilarious and tedious (tragic ?) at the same time. I'm in my 40's now and the swagger isn't my cup of tea (prefer Mark E Smith style pretentious grumpiness if I've got to have any 'attitude').

So, any recommendations after MF Doom - I'm in to all sorts of music but probably prefer something a bit experimental/left-field. For mainstream, I've got the Girltalk mash-up Allday to keep me happy.
  • Blaketown 5 Apr 2013 10:23:14 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First place to start with leftfield stuff in my opinion is POS, doesn't really get much better. Can't go wrong with anything he's done, start at last year (We Don't Even Live Here) and go back.

Also Atmosphere are among my favourite bands. Slug's one of the best traditional songwriters in rap music. Tales of every day blue collar hardship. Anything between Sevens Travels and To All My Friends are great.

There really is a very deep and rich vein of great music to be mined in this area though.

Almost anything by El-P, Aesop Rock, Astronautalis, The Coup, Bambu, Blackalicious, Blitz the Ambassador, Brother Ali, Zion I, Busdriver or Cyne is going to be worth listening to and that's without really venturing too far away from the well trodden path.

Edited by Blaketown at 10:50:20 05-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• TheBlackDog 5 Apr 2013 13:36:51 426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Blaketown Cheers for all of those recommendations - started by tracking down the first 2 artists you mentioned - pleasantly surprised to see Bon Ivor listed on a track on the POS album. I've heard of a couple of the others - I'll check them all out.

When I said "experimental" I suppose I really meant a bit more left-field, and a bit more interesting musically. As I said I love the production of the mainstream stuff but I prefer to come across that type of music when playing the DJ Hero games.

Going back to Doom, I've been listening to his other stuff this morning and on first impressions, it doesn't have that MM Food quality about it. I find MM Food is quite "danceable" - Hoe Cakes is awesome and the next few tracks continue in the same vein. I suppose my problem is that when you discover a great album, I then hope I can find that the artist has recorded the same album over and over again. What I'm hoping to find is something that has the same musical interestingness ?!.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2013 16:29:13
    Bit of a good mix. Biggie over Premier.

https://soundcloud.com/djfinessenyc/b-i-g-over-premier#play
  • smoothpete 5 Apr 2013 21:10:02 31,839 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thats what I'm fucking talking about.
  • Deleted user 5 April 2013 21:32:29
    Thought you'd like that :).
  • Blaketown 9 Apr 2013 13:46:57 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quite a few new tracks I've been enjoying lately:

White Mandingos - The Ghetto Is Tryna Kill Me
    Mylo Stone & Percy Filth - Brukfoot feat. Split Prophets, Serocee & DJ Rogue
    Dag Savage - Drugs
    Strange U - Klaatu Barada Nikto
    The Bad Tenants - The Rundown
    Oxygen - Gone Diggin'
    Quelle Chris - We Eat It
    Durag Dynasty - 360 Waves
    Ratking - Piece Of Shit
    Juice Aleem - MoorKaBa Light Bikes
    Prolyphic & Buddy Peace - Drug Dealer
    Rheteric Ramirez - Dear Diary
    Uptown XO - Evolution

Edited by Blaketown at 14:21:12 09-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• localnotail 10 Apr 2013 22:03:49 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reggae / hip-hop mashup.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• imamazed 15 Apr 2013 10:30:51 5,964 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone got tickets for j5 in brixton in june?
  • Blaketown 15 Apr 2013 12:47:14 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @imamazed Have they sold out? I might have a look see if the wife wants to go. I suspect she will.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blaketown 15 Apr 2013 12:47:20 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

Brap, brap, old chap.

• imamazed 15 Apr 2013 13:56:50 5,964 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Blaketown I don't know tbh.

Tickets have been on sale for a while. Me and mate kept putting it off, but we finally got round to it on friday. Judging by the rate it's been going there should be a few left, although I think he did day (he did all the booking) that there wasn't much choice left.

Have a look on ticketmaster, essentially.

Edited by imamazed at 14:03:53 15-04-2013
  • Deleted user 15 April 2013 13:57:34
    Choice?
  • Blaketown 15 Apr 2013 14:38:51 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tell me there aren't seats.

Saw Ozomatli at the Royal Festival Hall and it killed the usually amazing atmosphere of an Ozo gig.

Though I am older now so a nice sit down might be nice. ;)

Edited by Blaketown at 14:39:29 15-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Page

of 157 First / Last