The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 129

  • Page

    of 154 First / Last

  • Deleted user 9 February 2013 10:13:15
    What they like? As in style etc?
  • monkehhh 9 Feb 2013 11:24:29 3,292 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Enjoyed this new Underachievers Mixtape.
    http://www.datpiff.com/The-Underachievers-Indigoism-mixtape.449545.html

    So you know what to expect, I think they are in some way linked to Joey Bada$$.

    Sample:
    Really enjoying this, mix of allsorts of stuff - and it's free :)
  • Blaketown 9 Feb 2013 13:01:17 4,645 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    What they like? As in style etc?
    I suspect they won't be your cup of tea.

    I love them but their flows are a bit basic. They are all about the production. But in a dusty crate digging, rare-groove sort of way rather than shiny big budget production.

    Edited by Blaketown at 13:03:54 09-02-2013

    Brap, brap, old chap.

  • smoothpete 11 Feb 2013 17:03:44 31,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a better producer that Primo? No. No, there is not.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6WpH_7WOM
  • kalel 11 Feb 2013 17:08:31 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RZA :)
  • SuperCoolEskimo 11 Feb 2013 22:55:34 9,760 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RZA is the man but his newer stuff doesn't touch his earlier material.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:07:01 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sadly not, but it's because he pushes himself not to just rinse and repeat a formula.
  • ISmoke 12 Feb 2013 11:11:38 542 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @smoothpete I'd argue that Kanye West is one of the best producers around.

    Then again, i'm a fan of the guy - even if he comes across as a dick, that's what I like about him.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:21:40 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't deny the talent but it's not for me. The likes of Primo, RZA, Pete Rock, Dilla and co made beats that sound pure and raw. That for me is hip hop. The likes of Kanye, Will-I-Am and Pharell do something else that I can't really get on with. Too polished and synthetic somehow.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 11:27:05
    K. West is a beast. His older stuff was nice but his more recent stuff is phenomenal. My dark twisted fantasy, cruel summer, watch the throne.

    Neptunes, although they make some nice happy beats like change clothes and holla back girl they are the number one producers to call if you needed a heavy bad ass beat...la la la, grinding, drop it like its hot, nothin etc.
  • ISmoke 12 Feb 2013 11:30:03 542 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I get what you're saying though i wouldn't put Will-I-Am in the same sentence as Kanye or Pharell.

    Kanye for me just has it all musically, lyrically (Ok, maybe 808's and heartbeats was his weakest album with all of that autotune rubbish) and production wise. College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and especially My Twisted Dark Fantasy are all fantastic albums. Though RZA does make many classics and in my eyes; anyone that was able to be in Wu-Tang is nothing short of a legend.


    Did the Neptures make N.O.R.E - Nothin'? Now i think about it, it's quite blatant.

    Edited by ISmoke at 11:31:32 12-02-2013
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 11:34:55
    Yes they did along with countless other monsters in the past decade.
  • Kay 12 Feb 2013 11:39:42 17,799 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember when Kanye burst onto the scene with This Can't Be Life - smooth and soulful with old-school leanings. He's got a completely different sound now, basically progressive hip-hop. Can understand why many old-school hip-hop fans don't get on with that, but you can't deny he's successfully expanded the credibility and mainstream acceptance of the genre.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:44:38 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ISmoke wrote:
    I get what you're saying though i wouldn't put Will-I-Am in the same sentence as Kanye or Pharell.

    Kanye for me just has it all musically, lyrically (Ok, maybe 808's and heartbeats was his weakest album with all of that autotune rubbish) and production wise. College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and especially My Twisted Dark Fantasy are all fantastic albums. Though RZA does make many classics and in my eyes; anyone that was able to be in Wu-Tang is nothing short of a legend.


    Did the Neptures make N.O.R.E - Nothin'? Now i think about it, it's quite blatant.
    Again, I don't deny the talent, it's just a slightly different approach to beatmaking that doesn't resonate with me so much.

    For me Reasonable Doubt was a watershed album. That was when hip hop started to move away from pure soul and funk loops and such, and start to be more RnB influenced in the beat style. Neptunes and Kanye and the like are very much products of what happened to hip hop after that, and it will never really be to my taste broadly (although the odd track does hit the spot if I'm honest).
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 11:46:09
    K.west is so diverse now. When he was producing on albums like the blueprint the fix and college dropout you could always say that's a k. West beat.

    Now he can make anything. Things like niggas in Paris, runaway and clique are so totally different to say gold digger or diamonds.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 11:48:51
    kalel wrote:
    ISmoke wrote:
    I get what you're saying though i wouldn't put Will-I-Am in the same sentence as Kanye or Pharell.

    Kanye for me just has it all musically, lyrically (Ok, maybe 808's and heartbeats was his weakest album with all of that autotune rubbish) and production wise. College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation and especially My Twisted Dark Fantasy are all fantastic albums. Though RZA does make many classics and in my eyes; anyone that was able to be in Wu-Tang is nothing short of a legend.


    Did the Neptures make N.O.R.E - Nothin'? Now i think about it, it's quite blatant.
    Again, I don't deny the talent, it's just a slightly different approach to beatmaking that doesn't resonate with me so much.

    For me Reasonable Doubt was a watershed album. That was when hip hop started to move away from pure soul and funk loops and such, and start to be more RnB influenced in the beat style. Neptunes and Kanye and the like are very much products of what happened to hip hop after that, and it will never really be to my taste broadly (although the odd track does hit the spot if I'm honest).
    I think k west beats are now influenced by underground UK music. He has been sampling drum and bass and dubstep amongst other things.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:52:04 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyway, we were talking about Primo.

    That's what I'm talking about.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:54:32 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And that.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:55:08 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And that.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 11:55:38 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And of course that.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 12:15:25
    Premo awesome too of course. Most of my favourite beats of his were gang starr ones. Outta here krs one is another fav.
  • Load_2.0 12 Feb 2013 12:53:39 19,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aha.
  • ISmoke 12 Feb 2013 13:42:08 542 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry to change the subject. Me and my friends were talking about Andre 3000 yesterday. I think he is one of the better rappers out there, do you reckon he is all that?
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 13:46:29
    Yes and no. He got mad skills but totally not for me in the slightest.
  • Deckard1 12 Feb 2013 13:47:16 27,611 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can dig that.

    Hush you ponce

  • ISmoke 12 Feb 2013 13:51:45 542 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pepsipop I get that, there are a lot more of his songs that i dislike than i like

    @Deckard1 Now, TCQ i can get behind
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 13:55:30
    After you bringing up k. West I dug out dark twisted fantasy. Such amazing production.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 13:56:26 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first three Outkast albums are simply fucking awesome. No other word for it. Totally, mind-blowing, fresh as fuck, awesome.

    I do like everything that has come since but it's more hot and miss. But yeah, I like Andre 3000 a lot, and he's one of the few that has managed to go pop without going shit.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2013 14:05:14
    kalel wrote:
    and he's one of the few that has managed to go pop without going shit.
    agree to disagree?
  • kalel 12 Feb 2013 14:15:33 86,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eh?
  • Page

    of 154 First / Last

Log in or register to reply